Become a Patron!

VG and allergic reaction

Been vaping for 2 years, cheap set ups, t mod batt with vape only tank and liquid that's like 30/70 PG to VG. can or had anyone become allergic to PG? been fighting an outbreak of hives and constricting throat for last 2 months. Took usual steps, saw my doc, saw an allergist and no real answer. Any info is greatly appreciated! Thx

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi @drewskii and welcome to VU! :)

Yes, there have been instances of allergic reactions and sensitivity to PG, that is one of the main reasons Max and 100 VG juices were developed years ago. However, even though it's possible that you are having a reaction it seems odd that only recently after so many months of vaping a low PG juice you would just now be having a reaction. I would search the forums and google for "PG allergy" and try and find more info and discuss it with your doctor. In the meantime I would discontinue your use of your cheap juice and order some high quality VG juice like from Alien Visions E-juice. There are several other vendors that do all VG and organic VG, you can find them around the e-liquid section or search for them with Google...I pretty much have vaped the same brand of e-liquid when I buy premade stuff and I DIY a good chuck of my juice so sadly I am not the best person to recommend a bunch of places to shop, AVE just has one of my favorite juices so I recommended them because I can attest to their quality. I think Dr. Crimmy's has a max VG line and a lot of people seem to like their stuff as well. Ask you question over in the e-liquid section and I am sure you'll get a good shop list. And stop using your PG stuff ASAP....if your allergic reaction subsides then you'll know it's the PG, if it continues I would seek further medical help to avoid a serious problem.

Best of luck to you and feel better :)

Hi @drewskii and welcome to VU! :)

Yes, there have been instances of allergic reactions and sensitivity to PG, that is one of the main reasons Max and 100 VG juices were developed years ago. However, even though it's possible that you are having a reaction it seems odd that only recently after so many months of vaping a low PG juice you would just now be having a reaction. I would search the forums and google for "PG allergy" and try and find more info and discuss it with your doctor. In the meantime I would discontinue your use of your cheap juice and order some high quality VG juice like from Alien Visions E-juice. There are several other vendors that do all VG and organic VG, you can find them around the e-liquid section or search for them with Google...I pretty much have vaped the same brand of e-liquid when I buy premade stuff and I DIY a good chuck of my juice so sadly I am not the best person to recommend a bunch of places to shop, AVE just has one of my favorite juices so I recommended them because I can attest to their quality. I think Dr. Crimmy's has a max VG line and a lot of people seem to like their stuff as well. Ask you question over in the e-liquid section and I am sure you'll get a good shop list. And stop using your PG stuff ASAP....if your allergic reaction subsides then you'll know it's the PG, if it continues I would seek further medical help to avoid a serious problem.

Best of luck to you and feel better :)
Thanks a lot! I have stopped for about 24 hours and it seems to have subsided. I've failed and regretfully gone back to analogs, but gonna give it a couple weeks and see if all my issues resolve.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks a lot! I have stopped for about 24 hours and it seems to have subsided. I've failed and regretfully gone back to analogs, but gonna give it a couple weeks and see if all my issues resolve.

Allergies can be hard to get a handle on. It certainly can happen that you have a reaction to something now that didn't bother you for a while. It does not have to be the PG either, it could be anything in the juice. The juice supplier could also have changed one of their product suppliers and that could have changed what is in that juice.

You could try another juice or you could buy some USP grade VG from most pharmacies and vape shops and vape some of that. You can also get USP grade PG by itself. You'll probably need to add about 10-15% distilled water to VG to thin it down so it wicks better.

Best of luck with it drewskii!

Allergies can be hard to get a handle on. It certainly can happen that you have a reaction to something now that didn't bother you for a while. It does not have to be the PG either, it could be anything in the juice. The juice supplier could also have changed one of their product suppliers and that could have changed what is in that juice.

You could try another juice or you could buy some USP grade VG from most pharmacies and vape shops and vape some of that. You can also get USP grade PG by itself. You'll probably need to add about 10-15% distilled water to VG to thin it down so it wicks better.

Best of luck with it drewskii!
Well I contacted my local vape shop and explained my situation and he told me to come by and they'll see what they can do. When I got there he not only made me a batch of vg only juice, he told me to keep the old one and informed me about the sensitivity I was going through and that about 1 in 300 of his customers have an issue with pg and they are willing to help any way they can! I'm glad I didn't just give in and go back to regular cigs! Thanks again to all of your feedback, I'll pay updates as to how is going! Much love!

VU Sponsors