Become a Patron!

VG Flavor

Nobody2

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I ordered some DIY stuff during the black friday sales and received them the other day. I ordered some PG, VG, flavors and syringes all from Bull City Vaper. I have mixed a few different juices with the different flavors and none of them have tasted right. I thought it was just me and that I was making some bad flavor combos but I just realized today that is not the case. It turns out the flavor is coming from the VG. I was tired of my juices tasting like crud and so I rewicked my Kayfun and put some Halo Voodoo which I have. It was hitting a little harsh so I added a little VG to smooth it out and low and behold there was that flavor again!! It is a very strong flavor which seems to overpower all other flavors. I noticed the VG had a strong odor when I first got it but figured it was a vegetable product so that was normal.

So did I get a bad bottle of VG or is there something I am not doing that I should be? Am I not shaking/mixing enough before using it? Should I try to return it? I am new at this DIY liquid so I don't know what good VG should be like (smell, consistency, etc) and am not sure if it's something I am doing wrong.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I ordered some DIY stuff during the black friday sales and received them the other day. I ordered some PG, VG, flavors and syringes all from Bull City Vaper. I have mixed a few different juices with the different flavors and none of them have tasted right. I thought it was just me and that I was making some bad flavor combos but I just realized today that is not the case. It turns out the flavor is coming from the VG. I was tired of my juices tasting like crud and so I rewicked my Kayfun and put some Halo Voodoo which I have. It was hitting a little harsh so I added a little VG to smooth it out and low and behold there was that flavor again!! It is a very strong flavor which seems to overpower all other flavors. I noticed the VG had a strong odor when I first got it but figured it was a vegetable product so that was normal.

So did I get a bad bottle of VG or is there something I am not doing that I should be? Am I not shaking/mixing enough before using it? Should I try to return it? I am new at this DIY liquid so I don't know what good VG should be like (smell, consistency, etc) and am not sure if it's something I am doing wrong.

VG is pretty tasteless - maybe just slightly sweet. To be sure, try vaping the vg alone and see if you get a bad taste.

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What color is your VG? (It should be clear). This is just a crazy theory: Did you by chance order 100mg/ml nicotine suspended in VG, rather than plain old VG? I assume this is not the case since you would probably notice the harsh effects of that much nic, but I thought it might be worth checking.

Nobody2

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
VG is pretty tasteless - maybe just slightly sweet. To be sure, try vaping the vg alone and see if you get a bad taste.

It's definitely the VG. The Halo Voodoo was one of the first branded juices I bought and was my favorite for a while. It tasted just fine before I added the VG to it. After adding the VG it lost its flavor and took on the flavor that all my DIY juices have which isn't disgusting but is undesirable.

What color is your VG? (It should be clear). This is just a crazy theory: Did you by chance order 100mg/ml nicotine suspended in VG, rather than plain old VG? I assume this is not the case since you would probably notice the harsh effects of that much nic, but I thought it might be worth checking.

It is clear and I am sure it is just plain old VG. It is very (and I mean very!) thick which I know VG is but I'm not sure it should be quite as thick as this. I had to boil some water and then once boiled removed water from heat and let the bottle sit in the hot water for a good 20-30 minutes to thin out enough that I could get it into a large syringe. Also I noticed one of the first juices I made which is 50vg/50pg and just some Menthol (no other flavors added) would get cloudy when I shook it. I have never seen any juice get cloudy when I shook them.

Return it

Yup...it looks like that's going be what I'm going to do. I just hope they don't try and pull the "Sorry no returns on sale items" excuse, but they seem like a good company and if they don't then at least it's not that much cash in the trash!! :D It's just a bummer cause now this puts my juice making on hold until I can get it replaced.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Shoot Drew an email! I'm positive he'll replace it.
Also yup vg should taste slightly sweet. Try just a few drops of just vg directly on coil?
I recently tried one of my past favorites, Tribeca, tastes horrible to me now, but I have collected quite a few blue bottles

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I"m sure there won't be any issues returning it - Drew is a great guy to work with. But to be sure it's the VG you really need to taste it first!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I ordered from the same sale you're talking about. I just went to taste my VG. Little taste from the lid of the bottle... a little sweet, not at all foul or anything. No smell from the bottle, whatsoever. Did the same with the PG. No smell either. Tasted like that warm, odd flavor that straight PG has to it, but not foul, either.

I'd suggest doing what's been suggested and vaping just a little straight VG to see.

Nobody2

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I ordered from the same sale you're talking about. I just went to taste my VG. Little taste from the lid of the bottle... a little sweet, not at all foul or anything. No smell from the bottle, whatsoever. Did the same with the PG. No smell either. Tasted like that warm, odd flavor that straight PG has to it, but not foul, either.

I'd suggest doing what's been suggested and vaping just a little straight VG to see.

I have done that and not only does the VG taste bad but the PG does as well. They both have a bad smell and taste which overpowers all flavors. The PG has a sort of perfume smell to it. I even had my wife smell the VG and she instantly made a face and said "That don't smell right!!". Guess you got the good stuff but whatever they sent me is old and must have gone bad a while ago.

Did your bottles have a plastic seal on them? Mine did not which I thought was unusual cause every bottle of juice I have bought has had the seal. Even the little 6ml flavor bottles were sealed. What size bottle did you buy? I bought the 480ml ones. Also just because you purchased yours from the same place doesn't mean they came from the same batch or supply. I'm glad to know at least someone got good VG and PG from that sale. IDK but they are in the mid west I think and I am on the west coast so maybe something happened during shipping.

Nobody2

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Shoot Drew an email! I'm positive he'll replace it.
Also yup vg should taste slightly sweet. Try just a few drops of just vg directly on coil?
I recently tried one of my past favorites, Tribeca, tastes horrible to me now, but I have collected quite a few blue bottles

LOL!! I love Tribeca! As a matter of fact I just got back from my local vape shop with a bottle. :D

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you can smell it, it's bad. Should be odorless, flavorless and colorless. This surprises me since I know some top mixers here that rant and rave about how great Bull Citys VG is.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If you can smell it, it's bad. Should be odorless, flavorless and colorless. This surprises me since I know some top mixers here that rant and rave about how great Bull Citys VG is.
This is why I bought mine from there, lol.

Sent from my stupid iPhone because I don't have an Android.

Last edited:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have done that and not only does the VG taste bad but the PG does as well. They both have a bad smell and taste which overpowers all flavors. The PG has a sort of perfume smell to it. I even had my wife smell the VG and she instantly made a face and said "That don't smell right!!". Guess you got the good stuff but whatever they sent me is old and must have gone bad a while ago.

Did your bottles have a plastic seal on them? Mine did not which I thought was unusual cause every bottle of juice I have bought has had the seal. Even the little 6ml flavor bottles were sealed. What size bottle did you buy? I bought the 480ml ones. Also just because you purchased yours from the same place doesn't mean they came from the same batch or supply. I'm glad to know at least someone got good VG and PG from that sale. IDK but they are in the mid west I think and I am on the west coast so maybe something happened during shipping.
I bought the same size you bought. Mine were not sealed either. Only in baggies. I've only ever received flavorings that were sealed. Those are from ECX though.

Sent from my stupid iPhone because I don't have an Android.

Nobody2

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

I bought mine from them because I saw them recommended in one of the threads here and the sale price couldn't be beat. Like I mentioned before maybe something happened during shipping like left to sit in hot truck for several hours or something. Thats one reason I always try to obtain such items as close to local as possible...but sometimes it's not possible. I will definitely be sending them an email and returning it. Thanks everyone for your input and help.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Bull City is in NC, east coast. They don't seal there bottles. Something is off with it, actually first complaint I've seen about there vg or pg. Did you email Drew?

Nobody2

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Bull City is in NC, east coast. They don't seal there bottles. Something is off with it, actually first complaint I've seen about there vg or pg. Did you email Drew?

Yes I emailed them. But before I did I took both bottles, opened them, and let them sit open most the day. The VG now is perfect!! The PG however is not. After letting them sit I noticed that the odor was gone from the VG. So I rewicked my KFL+ and filled it with 100% VG and just a tad of distilled water to thin it a little. I then took a puff and was like wow it's great! No flavor except just a tiny bit of sweetness. So I vaped that for about 10 minutes just to make sure. So then I added some nicotine and continued to vape and was pleasantly surprised at how good just plain old VG is. So after another 10 or so minutes I took the bottle of FW menthol flavoring I have and added a few drops. Thats what I've been vaping all day and into this evening and have been very pleased with it. But the PG is going to need to go back.

Last edited:

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
PG does have a slight chemical taste to it I have some 20/80 here someone gave me and Its just horrible if you open any bbottle of g and just put one your finger and taste it ts nasty without flavoring before sending it back make a 3ml batch 50/50 then flavor it see if its ok...

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
PG does have a slight chemical taste to it I have some 20/80 here someone gave me and Its just horrible if you open any bbottle of g and just put one your finger and taste it ts nasty without flavoring before sending it back make a 3ml batch 50/50 then flavor it see if its ok...

I've heard people say that before, but my PG isn't nasty - it tastes pretty clean, to me at least! Just not quite as sweet as the VG.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've heard people say that before, but my PG isn't nasty - it tastes pretty clean, to me at least! Just not quite as sweet as the VG.
Maybe your taste buds have a cold :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe your taste buds have a cold :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Entirely possible! After 40 years of smoking they may not be as sensitive as some :p I can say that I much prefer juice with max VG (I find it sweeter and smoother) but unfortunately my lungs disagree!

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Entirely possible! After 40 years of smoking they may not be as sensitive as some :p I can say that I much prefer juice with max VG (I find it sweeter and smoother) but unfortunately my lungs disagree!
Yeah me as well as of late I smoked 30 years yeah the PG makes me icky today when I vaped maybe 1ml of that 80/20 just to try it and I got sick
my stomach hurt etc had to take a nap not joking I cannot vape anything more than 50/50 on pg I usually try for max VG of course as you know thats always different depending on the flavors and nic I use I have not used a RDA in a week my lungs just feek ick... if It continues Im going to see what the docs say wait untilI get to go up to Chicago for the holidays these Texas doctors done know dick around here :)

Nobody2

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

I'll try that and see but it's a pretty pungent odor and taste. I will say that letting it air out for the day did reduce the odor immensely.

I was a smoker for 40 years as well and not sure if I have any taste buds left!!! But the ones I do have certainly taste this PG. I thought I preferred higher PG cause as a smoker for so many years I need that throat hit. But after trying my little experiment today I am sold on high percent VG and then adding just enough PG nicotine juice to give me that TH. And my lungs seem to like VG much better.

cherrycakes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
VG shouldn't smell at all unless it has nic in it, then it will have a slight peppery smell

Nobody2

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
After letting the PG air for another day (took cap off and let sit on counter) it is ok now. So crisis averted and all is good now!! Thank you all for your help!

VU Sponsors