Become a Patron!

Vg intollerant?

martybaker

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been vaping 80/20 juice for a while and I keep getting the urge to clear my throat, as if I have some congestion however nothing comes up. I was wondering if I could be allergic to the little bit of the pg in the mix or whether I have too much vg in the mix.

I am willing to try mtl vaping for a while but I do love my rda. It's not a huge problem but I just want the best experience.

Any help would be much appreciated thanks.

Hobart, Tasmania

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have to vape high PG juice, usually 80pg/20vg. Even 30vg makes my chest feel tight and it's hard to breathe. I consider it a sensitivity. I figure if I was allergic, I wouldn't be able to tolerate it at all.

Works out fine for me, I'm a MTL vaper, anyway.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I've read volumes on folks who say that after vaping high amounts of VG for awhile, it's like it builds up in the lungs and they have to lessen their VG uptake. Some report that their lungs feel "heavy."

Conversely, PG allergy is fairly common and a few people cannot tolerate it at all.

I'd move to a 50/50 mix and see if your problem improves.

If it does improve, it is probably the VG.

If it gets worse, it is likely the PG

martybaker

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have to vape high PG juice, usually 80pg/20vg. Even 30vg makes my chest feel tight and it's hard to breathe. I consider it a sensitivity. I figure if I was allergic, I wouldn't be able to tolerate it at all.

Interesting to hear your thoughts, there seems to be a lot of hype about pg intollerence but not much about vg intolerance.

Do you use an rta like the kayfun and if so what do you use?

Hobart, Tasmania

martybaker

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've read volumes on folks who say that after vaping high amounts of VG for awhile, it's like it builds up in the lungs and they have to lessen their VG uptake. Some report that their lungs feel "heavy."

Conversely, PG allergy is fairly common and a few people cannot tolerate it at all.

I'd move to a 50/50 mix and see if your problem improves.

If it does improve, it is probably the VG.

If it gets worse, it is likely the PG
Thanks I will try, I may bring a mtl device in as well to reduce the amount of vapor going into my airways.

Hobart, Tasmania

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Interesting to hear your thoughts, there seems to be a lot of hype about pg intollerence but not much about vg intolerance.

Do you use an rta like the kayfun and if so what do you use?

Hobart, Tasmania
Not really hype. More people are sensitive or allergic to PG, just based on what I read, at least.

Do what Lucy said. It's a really good idea.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
You're right, not hype. Thanks for the advice.

Hobart, Tasmania

PG has a lot of commercial applications and has been used in medicines, air purifiers, as well as food, so there is has been decades of research on it and how people react to it

martybaker

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As of today I have taken a break from my mod until I see the doctor. Thanks for the advice, my guess is an infection.

Hobart, Tasmania

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been vaping 80/20 juice for a while and I keep getting the urge to clear my throat, as if I have some congestion however nothing comes up. I was wondering if I could be allergic to the little bit of the pg in the mix or whether I have too much vg in the mix.

I am willing to try mtl vaping for a while but I do love my rda. It's not a huge problem but I just want the best experience.

Hobart, Tasmania
If I vape over 60% VG I have the same issues and hack up some VG.
I vape 50/50 and am very happy.

martybaker

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I bought a mtl vape pen running max vg with 1% water and just getting a little niggling itch at the back of my throat. I would like yo try 100% vg just to eliminate the possibility of pg allergy.

Hobart, Tasmania

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
What did you doc say???

martybaker

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Seeing him today, as soon as I laid off tge mod for a day I felt much better but get irritation once I vape.

Hobart, Tasmania

martybaker

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
"Throat irritation caused by vaping, stop for a few weeks and have a cooler vape - it is hard to tell if irritation is caused by vg or pg because nicotine is itself an irritant"

Hobart, Tasmania

martybaker

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I will stash my mods away today and quit vaping for a few weeks, luckily I am due to make some juice which I will steep in this period. I intend to start using temperature control and to drink water during the day even when I am not vaping.

Will provide an update for the benefit of anyone else with health issues arising from vaping.

Hobart, Tasmania

Cosmic

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Have to stick with 60v/40pg with my diy juice, or even 50/50. When I do run, say, 70/30 after awhile my lungs start to feel a little coated and I get winded easier....80/20 forget it, I'll start to wheeze after awhile. Anyway, I like the 60/40 better as I get better flavor and throat hit. And I find 60/40 works just fine in a dripper also, I just usually need to turn down the wattage about 5 watts or so and its fine. (for my limitless classic I find that 60/40 wicks amazingly well, so much easier than higher vg juice)

Last edited:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If you decide you'd like to pin down the irritant, after you've put it away for a bit, as suggested by your Dr., you could vape a small tank of VG by itself, no nic added. See how you do with that. If no irritation, vape some VG with nic at whatever your level of nic is. See how that goes. You could do the same with PG, but would probably have a heck of a throat hit. Food for thought, but DEFINITELY follow your doc's suggestions.

Rin Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
VG Sensitivity is definitely a thing... it's just uncommon. I myself have a PG sensitivity. I can't go over 30%pg, especially when using an RDA. With an RDA, I actually prefer no more than 20%. It's just one of those things you have to pinpoint.
I agree with Huckle... once you are ready to start vaping again, try doing it without the NIC and try doing it with PG only or VG only and see which ones causes the irritation. It's the only way you'll know.

martybaker

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
VG Sensitivity is definitely a thing... it's just uncommon. I myself have a PG sensitivity. I can't go over 30%pg, especially when using an RDA. With an RDA, I actually prefer no more than 20%. It's just one of those things you have to pinpoint.
I agree with Huckle... once you are ready to start vaping again, try doing it without the NIC and try doing it with PG only or VG only and see which ones causes the irritation. It's the only way you'll know.
I have a new theory. I have an air conditioner (usually set to heat) running while I sleep and I have noticed my tgroat is a lot drier in the morning. I have cleaned the filters and intend to buy a humidifier to run at night, in the mean time I will continue my break fom vaping.

Hobart, Tasmania

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Likewise, and I have to vape AT LEAST 85% PG, or I can barely breathe at all -- it feels like a hairball in my chest that I CANNOT get rid of. Lately I've been vaping 86% or 86.5% PG.

Andria

martybaker

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Likewise, and I have to vape AT LEAST 85% PG, or I can barely breathe at all -- it feels like a hairball in my chest that I CANNOT get rid of. Lately I've been vaping 86% or 86.5% PG.

Andria
It makes a lot of sense because vg is so dense.

Hobart, Tasmania

Rin Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have a new theory. I have an air conditioner (usually set to heat) running while I sleep and I have noticed my tgroat is a lot drier in the morning. I have cleaned the filters and intend to buy a humidifier to run at night, in the mean time I will continue my break fom vaping.

Hobart, Tasmania
I try to avoid user air conditioning. It always makes me feel icky.

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I run max VG on everything. PG makes my throat feel as if it's closing up. Right now I'm vaping some 97vg 3pg (flavor) . I feel fine with this no throat problems at all. That said, find what works for YOU, we all have different biology and what I do might just be horrible for you.

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I try to avoid user air conditioning. It always makes me feel icky.
Same here. I leave the windows open and ceiling fans running until it gets above body temperature outside. Once the temp hits 98, I'll use the AC just long enough to get it to about 92-94. We humans survived thousands of years without AC, so I try to go au natural as much as possible. Of course, when it's 98 outside, I'm usually on the boat. Go overboard for a few minutes, and I'm cool for at least an hour.

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I live in Vegas so the AC is absolutely a necessity. When it's 120+ outside and you come into your house at a brisk 85 darn near gives you chills.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Move to FL and you would love them ;)

Or even Georgia!!! I start the AC in April and don't turn it off till sometime in October or November... not so much for the cooling, that early or that late, but for the de-humidifying... otherwise it's like trying to breathe JELLO!

Andria

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thankfully I don't have the huMUDity like you most of the time. But after it rains and it heats up man it is absolutely unbearable. Hell when I was in NC I didn't even bother drying off after a shower, no need just be soaked again when you walk outside.

martybaker

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Would anyone care to share the effect air conditioning (cooling and heating) and humidity have had on your airways for the benefit of any other vapers that are trying to refine their experience?

Hobart, Tasmania

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Hobart, Tasmania
I vape Velvet Cloud no PG just VG and distilled water I vape with a dripper no problems. Drink water with a shot of lemon juice to cut the mucus in your throat.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Would anyone care to share the effect air conditioning (cooling and heating) and humidity have had on your airways for the benefit of any other vapers that are trying to refine their experience?

Hobart, Tasmania

Any excess humidity plays hell with my breathing. However in winter, I usually run a small humidifier in my room at night, so that the furnace running, to keep it a tolerable 69-70 degrees for sleeping, doesn't dry me out so much. Most of this winter has been quite mild, so I haven't needed it, but if the outside air is cold enough that setting the furnace for 69-70 at night means it comes on from time to time, that humidifier is a godsend.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Hobart, Tasmania

And pay no attention to those who vape high VG or all VG ... some of us just can't do that, and it sounds like you're one of us; trying to get those folks to understand it is like trying to explain color to someone blind since birth. If I vape more than 15% VG, I can't breathe AT ALL.

Andria

martybaker

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I vape Velvet Cloud no PG just VG and distilled water I vape with a dripper no problems. Drink water with a shot of lemon juice to cut the mucus in your throat.
I like the water and lemon juice idea. I have made some max vg with 1% water.

Hobart, Tasmania

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
And pay no attention to those who vape high VG or all VG ... some of us just can't do that, and it sounds like you're one of us; trying to get those folks to understand it is like trying to explain color to someone blind since birth. If I vape more than 15% VG, I can't breathe AT ALL.

Andria

Hey now. I have done nothing wrong why discount my opinions? Like I said earlier, we all have different biology, you are the dictator of your experience. Make it right for you.

martybaker

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Andria
I don't know yet whether I have issues but am narrowing diwn the causes.

I will get a humidifier soon and after my week or so off vaping (I have snuck in a few vapes over the last day and have got a bit itchy with 50/50 as well as max vg but have now left my moda at a friend's place) I will try to vape vg and pg separately to see if there is any sensitivity.

My gut feeling is that I have been vaping too often, too hot, not drank enough water during the day and to add to that I have been running an air conditioner without a humidifier during the night which has dried out my airways.

Hobart, Tasmania

martybaker

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey now. I have done nothing wrong why discount my opinions? Like I said earlier, we all have different biology, you are the dictator of your experience. Make it right for you.
I think the advice was well meant, honestly though I think I would prefer to quit all together if I had to mtl a pg heavy juice. I just love that velvety cloud and experience I get from an rda.

I just wish I had a doctor who vaped.
I don't know yet whether I have issues but am narrowing diwn the causes.

I will get a humidifier soon and after my week or so off vaping (I have snuck in a few vapes over the last day and have got a bit itchy with 50/50 as well as max vg but have now left my moda at a friend's place) I will try to vape vg and pg separately to see if there is any sensitivity.

My gut feeling is that I have been vaping too often, too hot, not drank enough water during the day and to add to that I have been running an air conditioner without a humidifier during the night which has dried out my airways.

Hobart, Tasmania

Hobart, Tasmania

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was just playing. My sense of humor doesn't cross the text barrier vary well. It's more facial expression and tone.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Well.. as uncomfortable as PG makes those who are intolerant of it... VG is actually dangerous for those who are intolerant of it -- everyone told me my 80% PG was too much, I should try more VG... and when I tried 67PG/33VG, I woke up one night with an asthma attack so severe, I almost couldn't even inhale from my rescue inhaler. "Drink more water and add some lemon juice" will NOT help you breathe when you're suffocating from all that thick shit inside your lungs.

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Or even Georgia!!! I start the AC in April and don't turn it off till sometime in October or November... not so much for the cooling, that early or that late, but for the de-humidifying... otherwise it's like trying to breathe JELLO!

Andria
Yes except for a couple of weeks of summer the main benefit to my sinuses and such is the de-humidification.

Rin Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I was just sharing that I have issues with PG, saying that it's completely possible for someone to have the opposite problem/someone could have issues with VG. I would never discredit or try to tell someone else how they are feeling.

martybaker

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have had tried some 50/50 juice after 6 days off and I am getting a congested feeling in tge back of my throat after a few puffs so could be either way or a chest infection.

Does anyone get a slighyly congested feeling that makes you want to clear your throat from vaping?

Hobart, Tasmania

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

Sonar505

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Modder
I have had tried some 50/50 juice after 6 days off and I am getting a congested feeling in tge back of my throat after a few puffs so could be either way or a chest infection.

Does anyone get a slighyly congested feeling that makes you want to clear your throat from vaping?

Hobart, Tasmania

When I first started I was mixing my juice 50/50 after a couple of years I started to get the heavy chest feeling and having to constantly clear my throat. So I mixed some liquid 2 ways first 40 PG/60 VG made the symptoms worse so tried the opposite 60 PG/40 VG. Heavy chest and phlem went away. Then after 2 more years had passed I started to generate phlem again. So I started mixing at 70 PG/ 30 VG and after 2 years of that everything is still fine. No problems at all even during heavy vape sessions.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Hobart, Tasmania

I get it constantly. If I vape more than 15% VG, it's so bad it feels like a hairball in my chest I can't get rid ofl; more than 20% VG, and I can't breathe at all.

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Hobart, Tasmania
I do if the VG is too high ie over 50%.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

VU Sponsors