Become a Patron!

VM DNA 200 Mod from Vaping Mall?

TwitchVaperMVG

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Anyone heard of Vaping Mall? I got a newsletter from them and decided to check out their site. Turns out they've posted a DNA 200 mod:

http://www.vapingmall.com/vm-dna-200

It's just a Hammond box and seems pretty straight forward. Considering picking one up before they go out of stock, but what do guys think?

On one hand it's $170 for a Hammond box. On the other hand, it's $170 for a DNA 200 mod, and I can't find anyone else that has them in stock. Plus, I'm assuming that the new VaporShark, the Whiteout, etc. are going to be in the $250 range, so I'm conflicted.

I wasn't expecting to drop $170 on anything today. SOMEBODY TALK ME DOWN!!

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Looks interesting but I rarely purchase a mod until it has been on the market for at least 90 days.

That gives the average vaper a chance to use the crap out of it and find any flaws if they exist.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
OK, It's a Hammond box with unproven technology rushed to market to stop the Chinese domination of the high wattage mod market with temperature control. This is a slap-dash way for the manufacturer to make some decent scratch from the buzz surrounding the DNA200. With Evolv's track record of quality control with the DNA40, are you willing to throw the dice on this one?

TwitchVaperMVG

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm actually not concerned with the board. I got my hands on one of the reference models from Evolv to try out and it worked really well. I also never had any huge issues with the DNA 40, so Evolv is still OK by me. I'm going to get a DNA 200 at some point, I'm just trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on this, or wait until more options are available. I just have no idea how long it's going to be before we start seeing more DNA 200 mods.

Jah

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
only 900 mah?

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
$170 for a hammond box with a specialty battery, door screws instead of magnets and probably hasn't had the hammond lean removed? Save your money.

TwitchVaperMVG

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
$170 for a hammond box with a specialty battery, door screws instead of magnets and probably hasn't had the hammond lean removed? Save your money.
Yes, but with the LiPo, I wasn't planning on removing the door anyway. So in this case, I actually prefer screws. Plus, it's not like a 900mAh IMR. I think it's been determined that it's slightly less than 3 times the battery life of a single-cell, and their site does say it's about equivalent to a 2500mAh IMR. I guess my question is this: all things considered, is it worth $170?

Edit: Is there anybody out there that thinks it IS worth $170?

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I see your point about the door screws. Another possible negative is battery life and charging. Even if it lasts as long as a 2500mah 18650, using higher power settings will still drain it fast and then you're stuck being tied to a plug while it charges. Maybe I'm looking for reasons to talk you out of it, but a brand new chip in a generic enclosure for close to 2 bills isn't a purchase I'd make. Just my thoughts.

Rhyno636

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My buddy made a DNA 200 with a lipo 2200 battery. It wipes the battery out in no time. This one is sure to last an hour tips.

cascadian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wasn't expecting to drop $170 on anything today. SOMEBODY TALK ME DOWN!!
If I was going to build a DNA200 I would use a bigger Hammond box and a larger battery. Other than that, this is what I would build. I think they did take the slant off of the box as it is listed as modified and doesn't look to have the Hammond slant in the product photos. It is about $110 in parts plus shipping if you were to build it yourself. Seems fairly priced compared to other mods that have been offered in the past in Hammond enclosures, but expensive if it is not exactly what you want, since you aren't planning on making that $170 purchase anyway.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
If you like the feel of a hammond box and like the chip, go for it! I think its a but much for a hammond box with ANYTHING in it, but if you dont mind the style, it's your money haha. The slant on the hammond boxes bother me, so i would be hesitant, especially when you consider the fact that very soon there will be DNA200 devices in every imaginable shape and size really soon. BUT i would be skeptical that any other DNA box will be as rugged as this one here. Laziness and design flaws aside-Hammond boxes are freaking tough! So at least you know that the chip is inside a nearly indestructible box!

Rickwhoo

Member For 4 Years
Anyone know how big it is? I'm looking for a new mod and want something small. I would not buy this one because of the internal battery.

VapingN252

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I was saving these pics for a separate thread but why not. But I kinda have big hands. Still small.

20150730_112035.jpg 20150730_112152.jpg 20150730_112302.jpg 20150730_112318.jpg

That's an ipv2.
20150730_153253.jpg

VapingN252

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Now I've read there are some complaints about the buttons being in different directions. At first you'd be like no $200 device should have unaligned buttons. As I seen it explained, the buttons are free floating and that avoids the issue of buttons sticking. I'm all for that if that's the case. My smok m80 firing button sticks like no tomorrow. You damn near have to throw the mod out if it sticks bad enuff.

VU Sponsors