Become a Patron!

Volcano Finally Releases Lavabox M DNA75

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I want to be clear here. When in TC, whether or not you lock the Resistance, you should only see the cold resistance. It should not be varying. For example, my coils are .32 ohms. When I'm vaping, it reads .32 ohms and it's not locked. The only time it would change in TC is if the mod refined the cold resistance which would be after ~30 minutes of non-use (I'm talking about something very small, like .10-.02 ohms). For my coils, that rarely happens - if it ever does, it's after I first build them, but like I said it rarely happens.

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Or, since one of the reasons for getting the 75 was your other mods asked the new coil question, either you have a bad tank or bad coils in the tank.
The resistance changing is a separate question from the new coil question being asked for the same tank especially while vaping.
BTW- I have never locked resistance on a DNA mod. I always vape in TC.

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The chip keeps track of the cold resistance in TC whether you lock it or not. It knows the Temperature of the coil by the rise in resistance taking into account the TCR of the TC wire you are using.

In TC the resistance shouldn't be changing on your display. All you should see is the cold resistance whether it's locked or not. The only thing locking it does is shut off the refinement the chip does. What that is the chip checking the resistance of the coil as it's cooled down. At times the cold resistance will change by a very small amount as the coil breaks in/ages. If it changes the chip will lock in the new cold resistance (that's refinement).

One of two things are happening.
1. Your not in TC.
2. Your mod is having a problem. Either the 510 connection or board.

Personally it sounds like your not in TC or the TCR isn't correct and the mod is kicking you out of TC.

This is what it should look like for the profile you are using in Escribe. Off should not be checked.
View attachment 98499

Common values of TCR if you are setting up your own profiles
rjzw3DU.jpg

yes so it took me a min to get how this chip does TC. ive def been in TC this whole time. and yes my profiles have the “temp dominant” box checked and not the “off”. anyway i went in last night and refined my profiles a bit and have been using it unlocked and it is performing as you describe it should. its def displaying the cold coil temp now and not fluctuating. i did experience the ohms changing (.49-.57) while it was locked and unlocked, but as of last night i think ive got it figured out for the most part. so now to really dial it in! not sure what i was doing wrong.

questions about the preheat feature... how sensitive is the “punch” slider? i ask because i couldnt tell much of a dif between an “8” and “10” setting. is there a guidline to judge how much power your preheat should be? or is it just trial and error? also how long can the preheat be applied?

im going to have more questions about this stuff, but suppose it should be moved to my “finally going DNA” thread instead of here.

regarding this mod... i love it. its so light i can hardly feel it in my pocket. which is a plus for me. ive got the blue grip on the black mod now and it is a nice looking mod. loving it so far.

Or, since one of the reasons for getting the 75 was your other mods asked the new coil question, either you have a bad tank or bad coils in the tank.
The resistance changing is a separate question from the new coil question being asked for the same tank especially while vaping.
BTW- I have never locked resistance on a DNA mod. I always vape in TC.

well the reason for getting a DNA device was to get real temp control. and a far more customizable experience. also im dripping here so no tanks. ive been checking my connections daily and they seem rock solid. Evolv is saying to always use spaced coils, but this coil ive been using is sort of a contact coil so could that be why it was acting up?

Last edited:

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm glad to hear you have it working as it should.

As for preheat and punch it's personal preference. It comes down to how fast you want it to get to temperature. Some prefer a slower ramp up, some want to get there faster.

I'm going off memory here but preheat is obviously the wattage it initially fires at. Iirc punch is how long it will let the mod fire the preheat before hoping to your wattage setting. What I'm trying to say is the higher the punch, the closer you can get to your set temperature before the mod switching to your set wattage. Of course once you've reached the set preheat time, you will go to your wattage. I hope that makes sense.

As for me, I usually have my preheat on for 1 second at 5 punch. I'm only using simple 7 wrap, spaced, 28ga, Dual, SS430 coils so I don't need a ton of preheat.

As for contact VS spaced coils. I always use spaced coils for TC. I've always had my best, most consistent results using spaced, so that's the way I go.

PS I'm not sure what the maximum length of time is for preheat. I suggest people hook up their mod to Escribe, click on the device monitor, and take a couple of puffs. You can see what's going on there.

Cheers,
Steve

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm glad to hear you have it working as it should.

As for preheat and punch it's personal preference. It comes down to how fast you want it to get to temperature. Some prefer a slower ramp up, some want to get there faster.

I'm going off memory here but preheat is obviously the wattage it initially fires at. Iirc punch is how long it will let the mod fire the preheat before hoping to your wattage setting. What I'm trying to say is the higher the punch, the closer you can get to your set temperature before the mod switching to your set wattage. Of course once you've reached the set preheat time, you will go to your wattage. I hope that makes sense.

As for me, I usually have my preheat on for 1 second at 5 punch. I'm only using simple 7 wrap, spaced, 28ga, Dual, SS430 coils so I don't need a ton of preheat.

As for contact VS spaced coils. I always use spaced coils for TC. I've always had my best, most consistent results using spaced, so that's the way I go.

PS I'm not sure what the maximum length of time is for preheat. I suggest people hook up their mod to Escribe, click on the device monitor, and take a couple of puffs. You can see what's going on there.

Cheers,
Steve

ive got the preheat set to 2 seconds with a punch level of 10 and not really sure if im noticing a preheat...?

at least at first it still ramps. if i can cut down that initial ramp up id love it. so increase the punch?

VU Sponsors