Become a Patron!

Voltage/wattage ratio keeps changing

hi!

I have a 30w iStick with a GS air tank. I have it set at 4.5v/12.4w. This suits me perfect for cloud, flavour and the battery doesn't get hot when I chain vape. Recently though the ratio has changed and now at 4.5v it has increased the wattage to 17.6. I'm getting dry burnt hits and the battery gets hot after only a few vapes. Ive tried bringing down the wattage to the usual 12.4w but it's only giving me 3.6v and a very weak cloud. Does anyone know why suddenly it could change the ratio like that? I've changed the coil (I always use 1.5ohm coils from the same shop), cleaned the tank out but nothing has changed. I use the same two eliquids at the same strength Any ideas? Thanks :)

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Only thing I can think of is coils are not perfect. Your last coil could have been 1.58ohms and the new coil may be 1.45ohms so even though you have the same wattage set on the mod, it will adjust voltage based on the coils actual resistance and not the 1.5ohms that's printed on it.

You could also have a dud coil, have you tried a new coil?

Only thing I can think of is coils are not perfect. Your last coil could have been 1.58ohms and the new coil may be 1.45ohms so even though you have the same wattage set on the mod, it will adjust voltage based on the coils actual resistance and not the 1.5ohms that's printed on it.

You could also have a dud coil, have you tried a new coil?
Thanks for your fast reply! I changed it a couple of days ago so just changed it again an hour ago. It looked back to normal but showed 1.2ohms with 12.6w and 4.5v. Delighted until I turned it off and just back to it and it's gone up to 1.3ohm 15.2w at 4.5v. Don't know what happened when I turned it off! Decided to get a new tank. Maybe it could be that. Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated :D

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Unstable dud coil, Ohm's fluxuating or a short, wicking is to tight to wick properly, hot spot in the wire, any number of reasons. Remember, with variable mod if you are if variable volts mode, the mod will output only the set volts. Variable wattage mode, you set the watts, it reads the coil resistance and then adjusts the volts to get to those watts. Setting the volts then switching to wattage mode and set the watts, the mod will use the watts setting, both settings do not shake hands, you are either in one mode or the other.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Unstable dud coil, Ohm's fluxuating or a short, wicking is to tight to wick properly, hot spot in the wire, any number of reasons. Remember, with variable mod if you are if variable volts mode, the mod will output only the set volts. Variable wattage mode, you set the watts, it reads the coil resistance and then adjusts the volts to get to those watts. Setting the volts then switching to wattage mode and set the watts, the mod will use the watts setting, both settings do not shake hands, you are either in one mode or the other.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Thanks! Still new to all this. I'm going to switch to subohm which several people have recommended. Hopefully won't be as temperamental!

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Make sure your 510 pin and socket are clean. Make sure your coils are mounted tightly. Wiggle the posts on your atty if possible, to make sure none are loose (which could mean a broken positive lead from the 510 pin to the atty). Next.. are you using some other wire besides kanthal or nichrome? Stainless steel changes resistance as it heats and cools, hence a change in voltage and wattage.
Sub ohm really isn't a factor with a vv/vw/ tc mod. You should be more focused on surface area for clouds, and the amount of juice the coil can trap for flavor. Just for example.. a 1.0 ohm dual coil with 28ga kanthal (which is 9 wraps on a 3mm core will perform better than a 0.5 ohm build of the same material.. (4 wraps of 28ga kanthal on the 3mm core)

Sub ohm is nice, but you have to tailor your build to match your preference. Just because the resistance is lower, doesn't mean it is going to be a better vape. :)

Make sure your 510 pin and socket are clean. Make sure your coils are mounted tightly. Wiggle the posts on your atty if possible, to make sure none are loose (which could mean a broken positive lead from the 510 pin to the atty). Next.. are you using some other wire besides kanthal or nichrome? Stainless steel changes resistance as it heats and cools, hence a change in voltage and wattage.
Sub ohm really isn't a factor with a vv/vw/ tc mod. You should be more focused on surface area for clouds, and the amount of juice the coil can trap for flavor. Just for example.. a 1.0 ohm dual coil with 28ga kanthal (which is 9 wraps on a 3mm core will perform better than a 0.5 ohm build of the same material.. (4 wraps of 28ga kanthal on the 3mm core)

Sub ohm is nice, but you have to tailor your build to match your preference. Just because the resistance is lower, doesn't mean it is going to be a better vape. :)
Thanks so much for going to the trouble with the detail. You're fierce good. Really appreciated! You're dead right about the coils. I have realised from your reply that I really need to research vaping terminology and techniques in depth!

VU Sponsors