Become a Patron!

Volumetric Efficiency of rebuildables

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey all. Since I'm a newb that's still learning and currently do not have the space to set up a proper work station to build my own wire, there's not much I can do to contribute to the forums outside of posting my setups. Hopefully this thread will be seen as a positive contribution to VU and help gain better understanding of what goes into building a solid atty to achieve our desired outcome which is clouds, flavor and/or both.

A combination of things have led me to create this thread so here's a short list.

1) the name and my building experience with the OBS Engine Nano.
2) my recent build on the Goon 22.
3) my background of being a gearhead that loved pulling engines apart to build more power. Did a lot of street racing in the 90's.
4) the names of two atomizers, the 454 big block and Jai Haze's new 502.

Volumetric Efficiency is defined in three different ways according to Wikipedia, and I absolutely relate and agree with how wiki defines it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volumetric_efficiency

Internal combustion engine.

"Volumetric efficiency in an internal combustion engine design refers to the efficiency with which the engine can move the charge of fuel and air into and out of the cylinders. It also denotes the ratio of air volume drawn into the cylinder to the cylinder's swept volume. [1] More specifically, volumetric efficiency is a ratio (or percentage) of the mass of air and fuel that is trapped by the cylinder during induction divided by the mass that would occupy the displaced volume if the air density in the cylinder were equal to the ambient air density. "

Hydraulic pumps

"Volumetric efficiency in a hydraulic pump refers to the percentage of actual fluid flow out of the pump compared to the flow out of the pump without leakage. In other words, if the flow out of a 100cc pump is 92cc (per revolution), then the volumetric efficiency is 92%. The volumetric efficiency will change with the pressure and speed a pump is operated at, therefore when comparing volumetric efficiencies, the pressure and speed information must be available. When a single number is given for volumetric efficiency, it will typically be at the rated pressure and speed."

Electronics

"In electronics, volumetric efficiency quantifies the performance of some electronic function per unit volume, usually in as small a space as possible. This is desirable since advanced designs need to cram increasing functionality into smaller packages, for example, maximizing the energy stored in a battery powering a cellphone. "

Our atomizers function very similarly to an internal combustion engine with a few minor differences. Those differences being no volatile fuel or spark to ignite it. However, in a sense our juice is our fuel, our coils are our spark plugs and the inside of our atomizers is the combustion chamber where all the magic happens to create the vapor/flavor ( exhaust ) we all desire.

I'm going to use two examples of how this comes together in our rta's and rda's.

1) the Engine Nano and one of the primary sources that sparked the idea to create this post. As the juice tank drains and becomes filled with air again, the Nano loses VE due to air from the juice tank somehow being sucked in and mixed with the air coming in from outside of the atomizer. How do I know this? Because as the juice tank drains and becomes back filled with air, I have to increase the wattage as compensation to achieve the same result as when the tank was completely filled. By the time I've drained the juice tank down to around 20% of its total volume, I've compensated with an additional 5-10 watts to keep the flavor and cloud production the same which in turn drains my batteries more. It's a trickle down effect. It's this inefficiency and overall volume size of the combustion chamber that led me to building bigger coils for my Nano's. Filling up the combustion chamber with more coil just makes sense provided the batteries can sufficiently supply the additional power needed and that coil is wicked properly. Here's where VE was maximized, by increasing the coil size and thus increasing the amount of wick to supply the larger coil, I decreased the amount of air available in the combustion chamber which has allowed me to vape at a lower wattage while achieving better flavor and clouds. I'll go ahead and speak on my batteries behalf and say they are much happier when they are running cooler and lasting longer in between charges. Less stress will only increase the longevity of the batteries as well the safety aspect of them.

Now let's take my most recent purchase, the Goon 22, as the next example. When I purchased that little beauty almost a week ago, I had a choice between the 22 and the 24. My dude at the vape shop was kinda surprised when I chose the 22 over the 24. 1) I just really dig 22's for flavor so it's just my thing and 2) I knew if built it correctly I could stuff that atty full of coil wire which means more wick and juice and less volume available in the combustion chamber for residual air. Volumetric efficiency.

I'd like to use another example if you are still with me, hopefully you are. I have both the 22 and 24mm Herakles rda's. The 24 is killer for build space and juice well depth but a killer ( in a bad way ) on flavor as well. Due to the huge amount of space with the combustion chamber and juice well, I cannot achieve the flavor the 22 gives me. Which is sad really because I usually run the 24 with dual larger coils at 5mm ID and have even tried 4 coils at 3mm ID but the flavor just isn't there. I admit, the clouds can be very, cloudy lol. The 22 I run a single coil between the velocity posts with 7 wraps spaced and a 4mm inner diameter which gives me some really nice flavor, much better than the 24 using dual or quad coils and using less watts which keeps my batteries cooler.

So, subtle differences aside, we are tinkering with small engines. Atomizers require air intake like an engine, fuel ( juice ) like an engine to create exhaust ( tasty clouds ) like an engine.

I genuinely hope this helps and is seen as a contribution to the VU forum because I really do dig this place and appreciate all I've learned as well as the folks that have taken the time to help educate me.

I've never met or even conversed with these folks on line but I would like to take the time to thank, first and foremost, Battery Mooch for his efforts in battery testing and continuing to harp on the safety aspect of using and storing our batteries. You Fucking rock man! Would also like to thank reviewers such as Matt from SMM, GrimmGreen, Vaping Bogan, Mike vapes, DJ LSB, vaping Fagan, Jai Haze, Ghost Vapor and vaping with Vic for their videos that have taught me so much in such a short time. I know there's probably a few I forgot so I'll just go ahead and say, my bad dudes.

One last thing we should all keep in mind. A finely tuned atomizer on a properly functioning mod will go a long way in battery safety. If are to continue the good fight against the FDA, we must do our best to not become a part if the statistics they will use as fuel against us all. In other words, don't be a Fucking idiot with these high powered devices by pushing them too far to where we become injured and thus giving the FDA fuel against us. Let's simply use our brains to out-witt the FDA half-witts.

Disclaimer: this post may not be used or disseminated without the expressed written consent of my anus. Have a vape day everyone! :D

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Huh... and here I am going by... Does it taste good? Does it vape the way I want?

Beyond that? is over thinking it and a reason to by smokes.

The science of electrical heating and vaporization. . Goes a long way to making the perfect clouds..getting maximum performance..and such. IMO to get the best flavor you have to break some rules or at least forget they are there. For flavor I tend to use my senses before smarts.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
And what happens when the senses tell you the vape is not the way you particularly enjoy it? That's where smarts come in. IMHO, it takes smarts and senses to not only create a great vape but a safe vape as well. Knowing the equipment we're using helps to maximize the desired outcome whether it's flavor, clouds or a bit of both.

Adjusting airflow, coil diameter sizes, the number of wraps, wicking and wattage is tuning the atomizer to achieve that desired outcome. Something we all do with rebuildables.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You are really missing the point of vaping...................

Atomizers and our devices have NO Combustion unless you are doing something seriously wrong!

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You are really missing the point of vaping...................

Atomizers and our devices have NO Combustion unless you are doing something seriously wrong!
I think you missed the points I was making and at no time did I say vaping is combustion. I merely referred to the inside of the atomizer as a combustion chamber to help see the correlation between tuning an engine and tuning the atomizer. As I said in my post, it's the gearhead in me coming out, that's all.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Tuning an engine to properly fire a Stoichiometric Air Fuel Ratio and tweaking an Atomizer to vaporize e-Liquid are two different worlds to me.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Roo I can see benefit in this thanks for the write up be good to expand the thread to show some builds on the Nano itself positioning, wicking, coil size, coil type to maximise performance from it as you described in the OP, I’d certainly appreciate it being I’ve got one on the way :cheers:

Whilst there’s a lot of folks who like the keep it simple approach there’s a lot of others who like tinkering building coils etc then fine tuning to get the best from an atty (which is my reading of the point of your post)

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hey all. Since I'm a newb that's still learning and currently do not have the space to set up a proper work station to build my own wire, there's not much I can do to contribute to the forums outside of posting my setups. Hopefully this thread will be seen as a positive contribution to VU and help gain better understanding of what goes into building a solid atty to achieve our desired outcome which is clouds, flavor and/or both.

A combination of things have led me to create this thread so here's a short list.

1) the name and my building experience with the OBS Engine Nano.
2) my recent build on the Goon 22.
3) my background of being a gearhead that loved pulling engines apart to build more power. Did a lot of street racing in the 90's.
4) the names of two atomizers, the 454 big block and Jai Haze's new 502.

Volumetric Efficiency is defined in three different ways according to Wikipedia, and I absolutely relate and agree with how wiki defines it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volumetric_efficiency

Internal combustion engine.

"Volumetric efficiency in an internal combustion engine design refers to the efficiency with which the engine can move the charge of fuel and air into and out of the cylinders. It also denotes the ratio of air volume drawn into the cylinder to the cylinder's swept volume. [1] More specifically, volumetric efficiency is a ratio (or percentage) of the mass of air and fuel that is trapped by the cylinder during induction divided by the mass that would occupy the displaced volume if the air density in the cylinder were equal to the ambient air density. "

Hydraulic pumps

"Volumetric efficiency in a hydraulic pump refers to the percentage of actual fluid flow out of the pump compared to the flow out of the pump without leakage. In other words, if the flow out of a 100cc pump is 92cc (per revolution), then the volumetric efficiency is 92%. The volumetric efficiency will change with the pressure and speed a pump is operated at, therefore when comparing volumetric efficiencies, the pressure and speed information must be available. When a single number is given for volumetric efficiency, it will typically be at the rated pressure and speed."

Electronics

"In electronics, volumetric efficiency quantifies the performance of some electronic function per unit volume, usually in as small a space as possible. This is desirable since advanced designs need to cram increasing functionality into smaller packages, for example, maximizing the energy stored in a battery powering a cellphone. "

Our atomizers function very similarly to an internal combustion engine with a few minor differences. Those differences being no volatile fuel or spark to ignite it. However, in a sense our juice is our fuel, our coils are our spark plugs and the inside of our atomizers is the combustion chamber where all the magic happens to create the vapor/flavor ( exhaust ) we all desire.

I'm going to use two examples of how this comes together in our rta's and rda's.

1) the Engine Nano and one of the primary sources that sparked the idea to create this post. As the juice tank drains and becomes filled with air again, the Nano loses VE due to air from the juice tank somehow being sucked in and mixed with the air coming in from outside of the atomizer. How do I know this? Because as the juice tank drains and becomes back filled with air, I have to increase the wattage as compensation to achieve the same result as when the tank was completely filled. By the time I've drained the juice tank down to around 20% of its total volume, I've compensated with an additional 5-10 watts to keep the flavor and cloud production the same which in turn drains my batteries more. It's a trickle down effect. It's this inefficiency and overall volume size of the combustion chamber that led me to building bigger coils for my Nano's. Filling up the combustion chamber with more coil just makes sense provided the batteries can sufficiently supply the additional power needed and that coil is wicked properly. Here's where VE was maximized, by increasing the coil size and thus increasing the amount of wick to supply the larger coil, I decreased the amount of air available in the combustion chamber which has allowed me to vape at a lower wattage while achieving better flavor and clouds. I'll go ahead and speak on my batteries behalf and say they are much happier when they are running cooler and lasting longer in between charges. Less stress will only increase the longevity of the batteries as well the safety aspect of them.

Now let's take my most recent purchase, the Goon 22, as the next example. When I purchased that little beauty almost a week ago, I had a choice between the 22 and the 24. My dude at the vape shop was kinda surprised when I chose the 22 over the 24. 1) I just really dig 22's for flavor so it's just my thing and 2) I knew if built it correctly I could stuff that atty full of coil wire which means more wick and juice and less volume available in the combustion chamber for residual air. Volumetric efficiency.

I'd like to use another example if you are still with me, hopefully you are. I have both the 22 and 24mm Herakles rda's. The 24 is killer for build space and juice well depth but a killer ( in a bad way ) on flavor as well. Due to the huge amount of space with the combustion chamber and juice well, I cannot achieve the flavor the 22 gives me. Which is sad really because I usually run the 24 with dual larger coils at 5mm ID and have even tried 4 coils at 3mm ID but the flavor just isn't there. I admit, the clouds can be very, cloudy lol. The 22 I run a single coil between the velocity posts with 7 wraps spaced and a 4mm inner diameter which gives me some really nice flavor, much better than the 24 using dual or quad coils and using less watts which keeps my batteries cooler.

So, subtle differences aside, we are tinkering with small engines. Atomizers require air intake like an engine, fuel ( juice ) like an engine to create exhaust ( tasty clouds ) like an engine.

I genuinely hope this helps and is seen as a contribution to the VU forum because I really do dig this place and appreciate all I've learned as well as the folks that have taken the time to help educate me.

I've never met or even conversed with these folks on line but I would like to take the time to thank, first and foremost, Battery Mooch for his efforts in battery testing and continuing to harp on the safety aspect of using and storing our batteries. You Fucking rock man! Would also like to thank reviewers such as Matt from SMM, GrimmGreen, Vaping Bogan, Mike vapes, DJ LSB, vaping Fagan, Jai Haze, Ghost Vapor and vaping with Vic for their videos that have taught me so much in such a short time. I know there's probably a few I forgot so I'll just go ahead and say, my bad dudes.

One last thing we should all keep in mind. A finely tuned atomizer on a properly functioning mod will go a long way in battery safety. If are to continue the good fight against the FDA, we must do our best to not become a part if the statistics they will use as fuel against us all. In other words, don't be a Fucking idiot with these high powered devices by pushing them too far to where we become injured and thus giving the FDA fuel against us. Let's simply use our brains to out-witt the FDA half-witts.

Disclaimer: this post may not be used or disseminated without the expressed written consent of my anus. Have a vape day everyone! :D

I'm glad someone with your mind has joined VU, rad, man.

It is a loose analogy, but I get where you're coming from and going with it.
I've been made fun of for strange analogies that made Perfect sense to me, so got you there, too lol

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Roo I can see benefit in this thanks for the write up be good to expand the thread to show some builds on the Nano itself positioning, wicking, coil size, coil type to maximise performance from it as you described in the OP, I’d certainly appreciate it being I’ve got one on the way :cheers:

Whilst there’s a lot of folks who like the keep it simple approach there’s a lot of others who like tinkering building coils etc then fine tuning to get the best from an atty (which is my reading of the point of your post)

Thanks a bunch KingPin!. You are correct about the point I was trying to make.

One thing I can do, as you kindly suggested, is to post two different builds to help illustrate what I'm talking about. Luckily I have four Nano's that are coiled with 5mm ID coils so I just need to take two as examples and use one of them to put a 3mm ID coil in to help show the size difference as a side by side comparison. One problem I will have is showing a pic straight down the chimney to the build deck. Looking down the chimney from the drip tip, the 3mm coil is barely visible despite my positioning the coil as close to the posts as possible. However, looking down the chimney of the 5mm coil setup I can can easily see the coil which means there's more coil for the air to hit as the air moves up the chimney. Think of it in terms of surface area which you as a builder and maker of your own wire I'm sure you understand. :cheers:

Give me a little bit and I'll get a 3mm coil into one of the Nano's to help paint a better picture of what I'm taking about. I'll do my best to get shots straight down the chimney as well.

Oh, and thank you again for the kind words, KingPin!.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm glad someone with your mind has joined VU, rad, man.

It is a loose analogy, but I get where you're coming from and going with it.
I've been made fun of for strange analogies that made Perfect sense to me, so got you there, too lol
Yeah, I tried to get the images out of my head and into words as best I could and thanks for understanding. A wise man once said " people are strange, when you're a stranger". :cheers:

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
OK. I had a 2.5mm coil on hand made from the same spool as the 5mm coil. The 5mm is sitting on a black base atop a blue Tesla and the 2.5 is sitting on stainless steel base atop a gunmetal Nebula. I tried to take the pics standing directly over the tops but had to back off slightly due to my phone would begin to shade the mods from the light source. Both coils are positioned where I always set my builds on the Nano's, about 1mm above the posts and as close as possible to the posts. I wasn't able to get a clear picture looking down the chimney because my camera just couldn't pick them up. Kind of a bummer but the overhead shots of the build deck should be able to illustrate how much more coil the air has to pass over as the air exits the build deck and up the chimney.

Attachments

• IMAG0026.jpg
    IMAG0026.jpg
    475.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMAG0027.jpg
    IMAG0027.jpg
    508.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMAG0028.jpg
    IMAG0028.jpg
    519.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMAG0025.jpg
    IMAG0025.jpg
    825 KB · Views: 10

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
24mm Herakles with 9 wraps on a 3mm ID coil using the same wire. Nice clouds but shit for flavor. Way too much airflow for good flavor.

Attachments

• IMAG0032.jpg
    IMAG0032.jpg
    550.3 KB · Views: 11

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Set for my Herakles 22's. The left is ready to go with no juice and the right is currently sitting after I picked up the Goon. With both airflow wide open, the side airflow pushes the bottom airflow under the coil and then upwards around the coil on its way to the drip tip. This little setup destroys the 24mm on flavor while creating less heat and a much more enjoyable vape. The flavor on the 22mm benefits from not having nearly as deep of a juice well as the 24. It just makes sense that when the coil, wick and juice are in a more confined space that more flavor would come out.

My lady cracks me up when she sees the 22's because she calls that wicking ' the Stoick " after the the character from How to Train Your Dragon.

Attachments

• IMAG0033.jpg
    IMAG0033.jpg
    848.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG0034.jpg
    IMAG0034.jpg
    430.5 KB · Views: 6

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Last edited:

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
OK, now I have to rip that 2.5mm out of the Nebula and put the 5mm back in, then re-wick both Atty's. Should I take picks of the wicks when I'm finished in case anyone's interested?

Last edited:

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A little side by side with the Herakles 24 on the left and the Goon 22 on the right. Clearly the Goon is much closer to the saying of stuffing 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag. :p

Attachments

• IMAG0035.jpg
    IMAG0035.jpg
    730.1 KB · Views: 8

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Took shots of re-wicking the 5mm ID coil for the smurf. I stuck an Allen key into the juice hole to show how the cotton is loose enough to fit the key. It's just loose enough to wick very well but not flood. Hope you enjoyed the slide show.:D

Attachments

• IMAG0036.jpg
    IMAG0036.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMAG0037.jpg
    IMAG0037.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG0038.jpg
    IMAG0038.jpg
    486.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG0039.jpg
    IMAG0039.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMAG0040.jpg
    IMAG0040.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG0041.jpg
    IMAG0041.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG0044.jpg
    IMAG0044.jpg
    543.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG0045.jpg
    IMAG0045.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMAG0046.jpg
    IMAG0046.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 6
  • IMAG0049.jpg
    IMAG0049.jpg
    494.6 KB · Views: 6

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Personally, I, think the 24mm Goon has a lot better "volumetric efficiency" than the 22mm. But that's just because there's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all approach. :D

porzioni-ridotte-nouvelle-cuisine-1300x867.jpg

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think you missed the points I was making and at no time did I say vaping is combustion. I merely referred to the inside of the atomizer as a combustion chamber to help see the correlation between tuning an engine and tuning the atomizer. As I said in my post, it's the gearhead in me coming out, that's all.
I also equate vaping to fuel air ratios.... but i stop at the carburetor tuning..... I see my mouth and lungs as what would be the Combustion Chamber.....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors