Vtc4 or vtc5

st_andrew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I currently own a few vtc4 18650s. I am getting ready to buy a couple of new 18650s. Should I upgrade to the vtc5. I sub ohm. No less then .6 usually though. Do the vtc5 last that much longer? Are they worth the extra couple of bucks? Thanks

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I have no experience with the 4's, but I got a VTC5 today, and I charged it, let it sit for an hour, and have been vaping it for an hour. I wouldn't consider it much experience, but I'm very pleased. I needed two new batts any way, but they only had one left unfortunately. I feel like it's not too dissimilar to my purple efest 35 amp at builds of 1.2 ohms, before that batt was dying. That, however isn't pushing it at all. I'd say if you need batteries and like the Sony's, why not spend a few extra bucks for the extra mah. It's not a big difference in price.

Check this out before you buy, as apparently there are fakes out there of course.

http://www.sun-vapers.com/how-to-spot-a-fake-sony-vtc5-battery/

I purchased at a trusted B&M and inspected it first. I would be sure of the vendor you purchase from.

Also, I haven't done it yet with this VTC, but the lowest I build is .6, too, and you have a safe amount of headroom with these for sure.

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The vtc5's have like 500 more mah than the 4's I believe. I have 2 vtc5's that last me almost a 12 hr shift at work. You can safely sub ohm down to like .05 with a vtc5, I'm sure vtc4's are close if not the same pulse ratings.

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
a2u7ybes.jpg

This is the spec sheet for the vtc4 from Sony. At .05 ohms, it is 352watts and 84 amps just as an example. I don't know anyone that can do a lung hit for 15 seconds on a .05 build either lol.

safety is always priority tho, If you don't feel safe doing it, by all means don't.

I Vape .2-.3 on my vtc5's day in and day out.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I had the VTC5's and VTC4's and honestly did not see that much of a difference in battery life. They are both rated for a 30a max draw so the only real difference besides the 500mAh is the price.

VTC4: $8.50
VTC5: $10.50

At Illumn (formerly Illumination Supply) Use coupon code CPFUser for 5% off

For the extra $2 I'd get the VTC5's. Just ordered two today myself.

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The 30a rating is for a continuous discharge, with pulse discharge being what we as vapers use a battery for. The chart I posted above is the pulse ratings for a vtc4, I would assume the vtc5 wouldn't be any less.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
a2u7ybes.jpg

This is the spec sheet for the vtc4 from Sony. At .05 ohms, it is 352watts and 84 amps just as an example. I don't know anyone that can do a lung hit for 15 seconds on a .05 build either lol.

safety is always priority tho, If you don't feel safe doing it, by all means don't.

I Vape .2-.3 on my vtc5's day in and day out.
I've mentioned this before in other threads but yes while vaping you may never hit 15sec. To add to that though safety would be a concern if for one reason or another the button gets depressed while not in use (pocket without locking it, bag, etc.) . If you stay under the continuous you have a lot less chance of failure. Regardless just be safe.

DasBlunderbuss

Member For 4 Years
I've been using vtc5's and the 35A LG's for the past month on builds between .3 and .7 ohms. Going through roughly 4-5ml in a day. Whenever I change batteries I check the voltage and the lowest they've been after around 8 hours is 3.71v. Usually they are still around 3.9v. This is in a copper stingray clone and a terrible SS Omega mech clone.
I prefer the LG's for some reason, but I'm not entirely sure why that is.

st_andrew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah the day I put this up, I ended up getting 1 vtc4, 1 vtc5, and 1 efest purple 2100 mah 30 amp. So I will compare battery life on all and put up the results. I used Illum supply. Got 5 or 10 percent off for vapingunderground code. I think it was 10% off.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It surprises me how someone can get an all day vape from their batts when sub ohming. I must have a bad batch because if I vape @ .4 for 20mins I get drop off, a lack of kick and back in the charger they go

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It surprises me how someone can get an all day vape from their batts when sub ohming. I must have a bad batch because if I vape @ .4 for 20mins I get drop off, a lack of kick and back in the charger they go

Yeah I was wondering that too. I never reached down too far in the sub ohm region and I was going through two VTC5's easily in a day.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah I was wondering that too. I never reached down too far in the sub ohm region and I was going through two VTC5's easily in a day.
Exactly. You know, yesterday morning I put a Panasonic NRC in my cana and vaped all day on it (yeah I know it's different because it's in a regulated device) and this morning I put put it in the charger and it was 3.5v ! Yikes. Maybe it's just me but I have enough batteries to swap to let it normally get that low

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
My Vamo vapes until the battery reaches the 3.2v mark and then shuts down and I have never had a problem. And I think it is the same with my SVD again no problems.

And then my mod with the DNA 20 chip and it wants new batteries around 3.43v. No problems.

Why the concern dropping down to 3.5v?

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Unc. Oh I wasn't meaning it's dangerous. I just like keeping batteries under minimal stress so once they reach their nominal voltage I recharge them

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My Vamo vapes until the battery reaches the 3.2v mark and then shuts down and I have never had a problem. And I think it is the same with my SVD again no problems.

And then my mod with the DNA 20 chip and it wants new batteries around 3.43v. No problems.

Why the concern dropping down to 3.5v?

Curious too. My Provari usually quits firing at the 3.3v mark. I usually don't let it get to that point. But I have been caught out with an extra battery a few times.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
My vtc5 lasted for about 5 hours last night, using kayfuns and a dripper all at 1.2 ohms. I did some heavy vaping, and it was at 3.5 when I put it in the charger. I could sense some drop off near the end, but was impressed. Not much difference from my 35 amp purple efest for my purposes, but I expected that. I'm guessing batt life might get a bit better? I'm happy with it either way, and I'll be purchasing another.

And HobbyKid, I'm the same way. Especially if I'm near a charger, I rotate batts a lot. Typically I don't push them below 3.9-3.8. From my understanding, partial charges are better to extend the batteries life span.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I bought some KeepPower 30amp 5200mah 26650. With testing they're actually a bit higher mah. I can sub ohm for 5 hours (longer really) with them on a Seven 7/22 without experiencing any drop off. And when I put them in the charger they'll still read 3.9v. For a li ion batt they're the best I've ever used. They come from china btw

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And HobbyKid, I'm the same way. Especially if I'm near a charger, I rotate batts a lot. Typically I don't push them below 3.9-3.8. From my understanding, partial charges are better to extend the batteries life span.
I can only speak from experience but my senybors (panny inside) are over a year old now but well looked after and appear to still hold as much charge. I'll do a full discharge later and check their present mah and see if it matches up to their originally state 3100mah. To address the op's question from this angle, if you buy a vtc5 but don't look after it properly then in a few months time it's gonna be holding less capacity than the vtc4

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's not bad is it. I just discharged my senybor to check it's capacity and after a year's usage it's only dropped 150mah

image.jpg

DasBlunderbuss

Member For 4 Years

I thought I was going to be going through batteries like crazy once i started going sub-ohm. Everything that I've read, and also common sense, says that they should be draining faster. But even today when i swapped batteries i was at 3.82v.

The only thing I can come up with to explain it is that I almost never fire it for more than about 2 seconds per hit. Maybe that makes some sort of difference. IDK.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I thought I was going to be going through batteries like crazy once i started going sub-ohm. Everything that I've read, and also common sense, says that they should be draining faster. But even today when i swapped batteries i was at 3.82v.

The only thing I can come up with to explain it is that I almost never fire it for more than about 2 seconds per hit. Maybe that makes some sort of difference. IDK.
Idk. I don't chain vape, until I vape that is. Then I chain vape until I've stopped vaping. I mean I don't vape constantly. I might go hours with only a couple of toots. Then when I sit back to vape I do it non stop (till I've finished).

Ya. I think that made sense :confused:

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Exactly. You know, yesterday morning I put a Panasonic NRC in my cana and vaped all day on it (yeah I know it's different because it's in a regulated device) and this morning I put put it in the charger and it was 3.5v ! Yikes. Maybe it's just me but I have enough batteries to swap to let it normally get that low

Ok I am eating my words on the Sony VTC5. I just got a new pair the other day to use with my Paragon. I have been using the same one since Wednesday evening. I have gone through two full KFL tanks and I just put the multi-meter on it a few minutes ago and it is still at 3.7v.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VTCs are some of the lowest resistance batteries out there. Should read around 1mR. My understanding is it wouldn't have to work as hard to deliver it's power to the coil compared to say the Panasonic which rates at 30mR (or a trustfire flashlight 18650 at 300mR)

NitroBex

The Cloud Chasing Geek
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
C rating and Internal Resistance and Miliamp Hours is the difference between the cells... For cloud comps I use VTC3's for all day vaping I use VTC5's Power vs Runtime

st_andrew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
C rating and Internal Resistance and Miliamp Hours is the difference between the cells... For cloud comps I use VTC3's for all day vaping I use VTC5's Power vs Runtime
Great comment! I didn't think there would be a difference in the power coming out. Oh and I ab-so-fucking-loot-ly hate the USPS
Freakin retarded turtles.

Ryan Bartosch

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just want to make it clear that the vtc5's have the continues 30a continuous rating, because i got in a dispute over facebook about how vtc4's are 30a continuous and vtc5's are not 30a continuous? Before I go spend money on buy batteries.

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After reading a review from candlepowerforums which they do true battery reviews I actually got some efest purple 2500 mah. I usually do not like efest as they use random cells and usually over advertise battery specs but the purple 2500 has been deemed superb cells right below sony VTC's and most likely a lg18650he2 which is a pretty top cell as IMR's go. I picked up 4 from triangle for 7.50(sale price and they are still on sale)a pop which is a great price. For reference I also use VTC3 and 5's and MNKE 26650's.

As for your question Ryan they both should be 30a cont. from every thing I have read. The only real difference beside mah would be the 4's might have a tad lower internal resistance. When you add mah to a battery resistance goes up and sometimes C rating goes down depending on the type of chemical makeup of the battery. For example a AW 1600 mah batterys has a 15c(24a) rating (Chemistry: IMR (LiNiCoMn)) and a AW 2000 mah has a 5c(10a) rating(Chemistry: IMR (LiCoMn)) and a slightly different chemical makeup vs the 1600.

Ryan Bartosch

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thank you so much for your help, I think I've made up my mind and am going to go with the vtc5 after all, Ive tried the efest 35a purple battery and they work good for a bit then drop off drastically in my opinion, but thx again!

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
NP. VTC5 is the best out. I have mostly moved from mechs to my DNA20 and 30 mods so its not as big of a deal for me in that regard. I will say in my mechs I do not notice a night and day difference in drop off between the 5's and these purples so you might temper expectations a little but you should see some difference.

Ryan Bartosch

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I need the cheapest most reliable vendor or place to buy some vtc5's, oooook ready goooooo!

dmska

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
In stock @ rtdvapor, right now. I bought two myself today to try out.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
You might want to stock up on the VCT5 batts.

I picked up a rumor that Sony may take them off of the market for the vaping crowd saying that they were intended for laptop batteries and not our uses.

Bastards!

st_andrew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

I picked up a rumor that Sony may take them off of the market for the vaping crowd saying that they were intended for laptop batteries and not our uses.

Bastards!
I heard they really aren't even real " sony" batteries. Though I don't know how true that is. Although Sony doesn't have any info of a vtc4 or vtc5 18650 on their website

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Bastards!
I'm sure we'll survive Unc. No one person, company or regulator can control or dominate the vape world. When/if sony goes, another company will step into their shoes and we'll give our money to them instead.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I'm sure we'll survive Unc. No one person, company or regulator can control or dominate the vape world. When/if sony goes, another company will step into their shoes and we'll give our money to them instead.
Very true, but I still need to get a pair of these suckers. All the shops near me are out, so I might order online. Any coupon codes for RTDVAPOR? I couldn't find any... I did use the search function ;)

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Right on, I know they're around. I just am very careful who I get batts from. I'll either do a B&M or a trusted site from here.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Hi Unc. Oh I wasn't meaning it's dangerous. I just like keeping batteries under minimal stress so once they reach their nominal voltage I recharge them

No problem, just asking to see if you knew something I did not.

dmska

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Apparently vtc5's are no longer made and fakes are being unwittingly sold by reputable dealers. I've seen warnings posted on ecf and facebook.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So I read from a sony letter on the net, they never intended sony batteries to be sold to the public and had discontinued the Vtc5 and 4 years ago. So, that being right from sony, is everyone who buys a sony battery, under the assumption they are buying new batteries?

here is the letter i read, copied and pasted from Redit =

Dear customer, thank you for your inquiry.

The 18650 type batteries are no longer manufactured by Sony.

This product was never intended for individual, public sale and are not eligible for warranty or engineering support.

It was only available to OEM makers of specific devices.

The specifications and markings on the battery may vary depending upon the OEM’s requirements. Therefore, it is difficult to determine the true manufacturer or authenticity of the batteries without physical inspection and manufacturing code research.

This type of battery is widely available on the internet market through non-authorized resellers.

Therefore, Sony is not liable for the performance or use of this type battery for non-intended purposes.

Such applications should be done at the user’s own risk.

Furthermore, any battery of this type claimed to be Sony brand may be older stock.

We apologize that we cannot offer further assistance with this matter.

Sincerely,

Media Services by Sony

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I currently own a few vtc4 18650s. I am getting ready to buy a couple of new 18650s. Should I upgrade to the vtc5. I sub ohm. No less then .6 usually though. Do the vtc5 last that much longer? Are they worth the extra couple of bucks? Thanks
The two best at the moment are the VTC5 and the LG 35A or the Purple Efest 35A (Which is a relabeled LG 35A) Efest is only a battery relabeler not a manufacturer

VU Sponsors