Become a Patron!

Vtc4 or vtc5

krewalk

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wtf does anybody know where I can get a pair of Sony vtc5's. they are sold out every where! I guess the word going around about them being discontinued caused people to stock up as if the zombie apocalypse was spreading

AdamSenior

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wtf does anybody know where I can get a pair of Sony vtc5's. they are sold out every where! I guess the word going around about them being discontinued caused people to stock up as if the zombie apocalypse was spreading

get them from here this company has sold me legit vtc5 many times and a great price to here is the link.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111361968960?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

edit wow i just realized the price is now 29. dollars I just got these off of him for 20. dollars like a week ago wow that sucks sorry at least you know they are real

krewalk

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
get them from here this company has sold me legit vtc5 many times and a great price to here is the link.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111361968960?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

edit wow i just realized the price is now 29. dollars I just got these off of him for 20. dollars like a week ago wow that sucks sorry at least you know they are real
A little pricey but since you say they're legit I guess that's my best bet. thanks for the link, I appreciate it

krewalk

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
While searching for these vtc5's I came across a website which had a warning saying not to charge vtc5 cells in a nitecore charger. As far as I know nitecore is one of the best chargers out there has anyone else heard anything about this?

AdamSenior

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
While searching for these vtc5's I came across a website which had a warning saying not to charge vtc5 cells in a nitecore charger. As far as I know nitecore is one of the best chargers out there has anyone else heard anything about this?

I heard xstar is the best charger but I use my i2 to charge all my batterys including sonys and I have never had a problem. So Id say you are safe ;)

krewalk

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok good, the website is probably trying to get people to buy their chargers or something. Never heard of xstar I'm going to look it up, even though I don't need another charger

Hermit

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Vaperev had a warning about VTC4s, which was discussed on ECF. Nobody agreed with it (including me). Lots of people saying it worked fine for them, then one report of it getting v. hot when charging VTC5s, even though others use it to charge those just fine, and even that person had no problem charging VTC4s. I still can't think why there would be any problem with the nitecore charging either of them.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor

I just ordered a pair, so thanks. Ebay worries me with batts, but if you say they're legit I trust you, and all of the vendors feedback suggests that to be the case. The pics look correct too, as long as that's what you get. My B&M's keep saying they're getting them in, And I've been waiting for weeks, this saves me tax, too. Thanks again

krewalk

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Vaperev had a warning about VTC4s, which was discussed on ECF. Nobody agreed with it (including me). Lots of people saying it worked fine for them, then one report of it getting v. hot when charging VTC5s, even though others use it to charge those just fine, and even that person had no problem charging VTC4s. I still can't think why there would be any problem with the nitecore charging either of them.
I don't believe anything on ecf anymore ever since their whole sub ohm vaping warning saying it's cancer causing and a bunch of other BS

Hermit

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't believe anything on ecf anymore ever since their whole sub ohm vaping warning saying it's cancer causing and a bunch of other BS

Whatever. Thread I linked is just vapers voicing their opinions and experiences about nitecore / sony compatibility.

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have been using a nitecore i2 with my vtc5's for about two months now, charging them from partial and from dead many times a day. They still charge to 4.2 volts every time.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I have been using a nitecore i2 with my vtc5's for about two months now, charging them from partial and from dead many times a day. They still charge to 4.2 volts every time.
I use the same charger, but only have one vtc5. I've been fine charging it for a bit over a month now. It does seem to stop one battery, regardless of brand, at 4.1 sometimes if I charge two at once. That's my charger, though.

krewalk

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

I just went to go buy the batteries from the link you sent the price is now 999.00 USD. ....that's just ridiculous who the he'll would buy 2 batteries for $1000

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
they do that when they are out of stock so they do not have to relist auctions and take additional fees. lot of places do that. I just add to watch list and check every few days.

krewalk

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok that makes more sense thanks

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So I got my pair of VTC5s from the recommended ebay vendor genuinecells. I received what was pictured. They appear to be authentic to me, and I did a thorough inspection of both, along with comparing them to my current one. The only variance is the position of the qr code, but sun vapers article mentioned that some don't even have them, so no worry there.

They are charging ATM, came to me at 3.5v each. I think this ebay vendor can be trusted, but gotta run through a few cycles to really know.

Also, I ordered Friday evening and messaged him Saturday regarding shipping. He was prompt and kind with his response, that he shipped them out Saturday morning. Somehow they got from Florida to colorado with free shipping in two days, one not being a business day. In summary, they appear real, and the seller is very communicative. Unless they perform like shit, which I'd report back on here about, he seems to be a legit source.

krewalk

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So I got my pair of VTC5s from the recommended ebay vendor genuinecells. I received what was pictured. They appear to be authentic to me, and I did a thorough inspection of both, along with comparing them to my current one. The only variance is the position of the qr code, but sun vapers article mentioned that some don't even have them, so no worry there.

They are charging ATM, came to me at 3.5v each. I think this ebay vendor can be trusted, but gotta run through a few cycles to really know.

Also, I ordered Friday evening and messaged him Saturday regarding shipping. He was prompt and kind with his response, that he shipped them out Saturday morning. Somehow they got from Florida to colorado with free shipping in two days, one not being a business day. In summary, they appear real, and the seller is very communicative. Unless they perform like shit, which I'd report back on here about, he seems to be a legit source.
Good to hear, he sold out before I got a chance to order mine. I hope he gets more right now most companies are out of stock and have no idea when they are getting more. I'm gonna keep going back and checking every few days

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Good luck. I waited a month for multiple B&Ms but they never stocked. I got some of the last from that vendor I think.

krewalk

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yea R.I.P to the vtc5's, I'm not going to sit around waiting for them, I'm going to buy some LG 35 amps. They have a higher amp rating and only 100 less mah

chris.ardito.3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just want to know what's going to happen if the sonys are really getting discontinued.
What will people use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krewalk

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just want to know what's going to happen if the sonys are really getting discontinued.
What will people use.

Good question. Now is the perfect opportunity for one of these other battery manufacturers to step there game up. I'm pretty sure if sony can do it they can too. Even something close will dominate the market

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Dear customer, thank you for your inquiry.
The 18650 type batteries are no longer manufactured by Sony.
This product was never intended for individual, public sale and are not eligible for warranty or engineering support.
It was only available to OEM makers of specific devices.
The specifications and markings on the battery may vary depending upon the OEM’s requirements. Therefore, it is difficult to determine the true manufacturer or authenticity of the batteries without physical inspection and manufacturing code research.
This type of battery is widely available on the internet market through non-authorized resellers.
Therefore, Sony is not liable for the performance or use of this type battery for non-intended purposes.
Such applications should be done at the user’s own risk.
Furthermore, any battery of this type claimed to be Sony brand may be older stock.
We apologize that we cannot offer further assistance with this matter.
Sincerely,
Media Services by Sony

Sony replied to me as well...We do not sell or make 18650 batteries....they are old, recycled and made by another vendor using old sony specs....

chris.ardito.3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So where are all this vendors getting them from.

I cause I email this flashlight place there getting the 4's in this week but they no time table on the 5's.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
sony 18650 batteries are being taken form RC car batteries and resold. I have also found that most VW VV mods have a 5a continuous output max in the boards and or chips. The higher amp outlet will be used for high watt machines that are labeled higher output, 10a is the highest output i've seen so far on the devices themselves......buying 30a wont do much if its limited at 5a or 10a.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
check out an RC car store and you can find batteries that have 4 to 6 of the sony 18650 batteries inside the wrap.

and nooow there gone lol....cant find the sony rc car batteries now either...they are making a move to get the name off of the market i believe, interesting to watch.

chris.ardito.3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I took my laptop battery apart but I didn't use them in my Ana mod.

AdamSenior

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just went to go buy the batteries from the link you sent the price is now 999.00 USD. ....that's just ridiculous who the he'll would buy 2 batteries for $1000
they raise it like that when they r out of stock so they dont have to relist it lol

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
This sony shit is weird, and a bit disconcerting. At least people such as Sun Vapers have tested these batteries, and assuming the ones we own are the same, they are the true specs. That's assuming what we all have is the same, though, which is sounding more and more unlikely. I read that response on reddit, and sony could just be covering their asses since they have to know what we are using them for, which could open potential litigation in the event of an accident. Still, not very settling stuff to read.

As far as the vendor genuinecells, I charged em both last evening, both stopped at 4.2, and remained there this morning. I have one in use currently, and it seems like a vtc5. Same as my month old one, to my unscientific vapor production observations, lol. I think this guy is solid, though he's OOS now, too. I'm gonna go through a couple cycles of each before I call it completely good, and then I'll leave feedback for him, and report here as well.

It's gonna be interesting to see this develop, and I'm gonna try to get one more VTC5 ASAP to have four total. It really sucks that efest is sketchy at best, and now Sony is suspect, too. We have our main battery choices between a company that re wraps cells and embellishes specs, in efest. And now we have Sony denying production of 18650's.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have 4a output 18650 batteries hitting the door today or tomorrow, they are made fresh and labeled for the company who is having them produced solely for their company, i'm sending some out to Smokie for testing in VWVV machines as soon as they hit the door. (Still looking for another tester or mod builder who wants to try the batteries out for us, got multiple sizes and chargers.) Most of the dna30 style chipsets allow for 10a output max, so these should be good for non sub ohm applications on most VWVV machines under 30watts. The company in question is in the process of making 10a output batteries that would be good for dna30 chipsets with allow for 10a output, bringing the resistance down lower for sub ohmers. True 30a specced batteries Will be needed for the new 100w yihi chips however.

chris.ardito.3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@TBC YOU PROBABLY right about sony saying that to cover thee butts.

But you watch there will be some. Idiot will try to sue sony cause there mod blow up.

What did everyone use before someone discovered the Sony's.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I
@TBC YOU PROBABLY right about sony saying that to cover thee butts.

But you watch there will be some. Idiot will try to sue sony cause there mod blow up.

What did everyone use before someone discovered the Sony's.

It very possibly is the litigation issue, however, that doesn't bode well for the future if that's the case, either. I'm not suggesting the end of our green batteries, it could be, but I'm not ready to go that far.

I read there was a mod company that was put under by a successful lawsuit when an idiot used enercell batts from radio shack, and it blew up his face and really messed him up. I can't remember where I was linked to it, I think it was in the reddit thread about this same topic. The most ridiculous part is that the news story specifically stated they were the proper batteries for the device. Well, we all know that's bullshit, radio shack carries nothing that would be considered appropriate even remotely for a mech, or a vv/vw for that matter.

And Celtic, do keep us updated, I know you will. I really only need 10 amps where I typically am, but I want the best there is for safety and the occasional sub ohm build. If this company makes say 20 amp and above cells, I will start being interested.

chris.ardito.3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Someone mod company needs to make a battery for theses mods weather be tube or vw/ vv. That's if sony decides to stop making them.

Which I can't see happing but anything is it's possible.

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The two best at the moment are the VTC5 and the LG 35A or the Purple Efest 35A (Which is a relabeled LG 35A) Efest is only a battery relabeler not a manufacturer
The LG 18650HE2 that some call a 35 amp cell is a 20 continuous and 30 amp pulse cell. Here are the specs.

LG 18650 Hybrid IMR rechargeable battery - Capacity 2500mAh.
  • High Drain- 20A constant current, 30A pulse current load.
  • Model: LG 18650 HE2
  • Nominal Capacity: 2500mAh
  • Nominal Voltage: 3.6V
  • Full charge Voltage: 4.2V
  • Operating Temperature (cell surface): Charge 0 ~ 50℃ , Discharge -20 ~ 75℃
  • Diameter : 18.3 + 0.2/-0.3 mm ( Max. 18.5 mm )
  • Height : 65.0 ± 0.2 mm ( Max. 65.2 mm )
  • Weight Max. 48.0 g
  • Positive terminal: Flat top
  • Battery size | shape: 18650 | cylindrical

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just to add to what Matt posted that LG has a pulse of 75 seconds so even at 30 amp its very hearty. I have been using 4 of them daily and they are fantastic batts.

To add to what others have been talking about. There are only a handful of actual Li-ion battery manufacturers in the world. Its not an easy or cheap task for a company to just start making batteries. RC/hobby batteries, flashlight/ecig batteries all these are re purposed Li-ion batteries designed for other large applications that giant corps buy millions ofat a time. The Tesla car actually runs on battery packs made with small AA sized Li-ion batteries just as a fun fact so those giant battery plants Elon Musk is going to build might help us out down the road.

Every battery we vape on is a older model that either has been discontinued or is close to EOL so the company actually making them opens up to smaller company's to flush out the remaining older stock. There will be another Sony caliber or better battery.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
This thread is making me picture a factory of Chinese children cutting open RC battery packs.

But seriously, I know they'll either be around or be replaced, it just seems that constant disconcerting things are being exposed about our batteries. They, assuming the user is properly operating and building everything, are our main safety. I like to be confident that my safety is top notch, and it seems to be a bit of a crapshoot.

Hermit

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

I got myself some VTC5s yesterday. Both pairs have charged fine on my Nitecore i2 (that I got in Feb this year), to 4.2V exactly. They all arrived with 3.5V charge in them, which is the same as others have reported. I crudely hooked up some Fasttech bits to monitor the charging, and the highest temperature read for each battery was between 35 and 37° C. Charge time was about 4h45m each time, which seems about right for the Nitecore's 500mA per bay output.

In short, nothing to report :D

3.5.jpg

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think the most important thing to consider is how many amps do you need for your device continuous.. I mean with those vamped things running around do you think that an Evereast 850amp car battery can be wrapped I shall name it "The Force" ha

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ill try to find the video again, but there is a young man in the Marines, over seas right now, that hooked up an old backpack radio battery to a cord from the radio and has it tied in to a home made mech style mod lol, he is running .5 coils on it....it runs for about 7 days before he recharges it lol, I can only imagine how much ejuice he is going through! I do not suggest anyone try this without proper military electronic field training however. If i can find the video again Ill post it in this thread.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ill try to find the video again, but there is a young man in the Marines, over seas right now, that hooked up an old backpack radio battery to a cord from the radio and has it tied in to a home made mech style mod lol, he is running .5 coils on it....it runs for about 7 days before he recharges it lol, I can only imagine how much ejuice he is going through! I do not suggest anyone try this without proper military electronic field training however. If i can find the video again Ill post it in this thread.
hahah would love to see it

Galaxyrider

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have no experience with the 4's, but I got a VTC5 today, and I charged it, let it sit for an hour, and have been vaping it for an hour. I wouldn't consider it much experience, but I'm very pleased. I needed two new batts any way, but they only had one left unfortunately. I feel like it's not too dissimilar to my purple efest 35 amp at builds of 1.2 ohms, before that batt was dying. That, however isn't pushing it at all. I'd say if you need batteries and like the Sony's, why not spend a few extra bucks for the extra mah. It's not a big difference in price.

Check this out before you buy, as apparently there are fakes out there of course.

http://www.sun-vapers.com/how-to-spot-a-fake-sony-vtc5-battery/

I purchased at a trusted B&M and inspected it first. I would be sure of the vendor you purchase from.

Also, I haven't done it yet with this VTC, but the lowest I build is .6, too, and you have a safe amount of headroom with these for sure.
Thanx of the input.. I saw this and had to check.. mine are real, and Im educated for future buys.

Galaxyrider

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Holy smoke.....no, Holy Vapor.. I need a rig like that!

I am having a really hard time finding Sony VTC5's. I actually picked up the last two at my preferred B&M here in Portland today. I was stoked! Efest rewraps other brands' batteries as we all know, but some of you may be happy to find that they also rewrap Sony's. The VTC4 is 2100 mAh 30A continuous, so look for purple Efest batteries that say 2100 mAh 30A and that's a VTC4! Similarly, the purple Efest 1600 mAh 30A's are VTC3's. Lower mAh, but still wonderful batteries. illumn.com has them both, I believe. Use coupon code "illumination" for 10% off.

VU Sponsors