Become a Patron!

vtc5 question

jsr27

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I just got some vtc5 batteries. I also got a nitecore IQ charger. What the voltage level suppost to be at before I recharge it? I don't want to damage them. Will this charger out perform a generic charger?

TygerTyger

Official Lurker
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If used in a mechanical, you might find you'll want to recharge at minimum 3.6 or 3.7 Volts. I typically recharge at 3.8 in a mech.
In a regulated, I usually recharge at or before 3.5 volts....
Bear in mind that if you run it down below 2.5, it's considered by many to be unsafe to recharge and not safe to use.

The batteries we use now have very little "memory" so it's not important or recommended to "run them down" before recharging as conventional rechargeable battery wisdom used to dictate. You can quite happily charge them after only "vaping the top off them" (just discharging by a few points)

As for the charger, I'm not familiar with their IQ charger, but Nitecore makes good chargers in general.... good choice. Might you mean I2?

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Where did you get these batteries from? They haven't been on the market for a while now...

jsr27

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Central vapors.com is where I got them. Any way to tell if its a fake?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Mine normally are 3.2 to 3.3 volts when I take them out of my Sigelei 100 watt to charge.

I don't quite know what you mean by a "Generic"charger but Nightcore make a great device!

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Central vapors.com is where I got them. Any way to tell if its a fake?

The rib at the tops of re-wraps have been off, as far as size and depth, but really, I would wonder where they got them from, since none have been available for quite a while...

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
VTC5's are 20 amps...why chance getting a fake which most likely yours are..Go with some Samsung 25R's or LG HE2's which are also 20 amp max, and be done with it...they are less expensive as well...I get all my batteries from liionwholesale.com...best prices you will find on authentics.

The charger is just fine..far better than a trustfire or some no name charger you call generics.

To answer the charge question this depends on if your using them in a mech mod or a regulated mod...In a mech dont go below 3.6 - 3.7v for safety reasons...in a regulated you can go lower but for best battery life try to charge around the same voltage.

Last edited:

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Lightningvapes has legit vtc3 and vtc4 batts. Superior to the vtc5 even if they are real.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Research goes along way...just sayin.
So does properly interpreting data. The testing showing vtc5's overheating at 30 amps also shows you have to draw a continuous 30 amps from them from 4.2v all the way down to 2.5v non stop. A regulated device won't allow that to happen and in a mech the current starts falling off as soon as the voltage of the battery starts dropping so maintaining a constant amp draw isn't possible. The conditions of that test don't come anywhere close to replicating the conditions that exist when a vtc5 is used for vaping.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When my mechs get hotter than i like i pull out the batt and realize its cool to the touch. Its the atty heating up the whole tube. When thermal runway or venting occurs the battery heats up way past any temps you can comfortably touch with your hands, ive never heard of batts spontaneously combusting, have they? Furthermore i alway heard vtc5 was a 20a with a higer mah. Never actually used a vtc5 when everyone was raving about them i had a stack of vtc3s i couldnt afford to just switch out. Didnt start with vtc4 til i got a batch of fake ass vtc3s. Used lg he2s until like 2 or 3 weeks ago when i was shown the light to vtc4s.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So does properly interpreting data. The testing showing vtc5's overheating at 30 amps also shows you have to draw a continuous 30 amps from them from 4.2v all the way down to 2.5v non stop. A regulated device won't allow that to happen and in a mech the current starts falling off as soon as the voltage of the battery starts dropping so maintaining a constant amp draw isn't possible. The conditions of that test don't come anywhere close to replicating the conditions that exist when a vtc5 is used for vaping.
To finish the thought, the whole 'conditions aren't the same' logic can be applied in the other direction. I doubt the test included encasing the battery in a thermally conductive and insulating metal tube with a closely attached heating element and then holding the button down indefinately. I don't agree with the idea that anything above a certain number is always unsafe and anything below that number is always safe ragardless of any other factors. Ratings are approximations made by someone else that shouldn't be blindly accepted as gospel. Knowledge must be had and judgement must be used when messing with a handful of energy.

jsr27

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I bought them from central vapors.com. anyone know if these are fake

jsr27

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I appreciate all the info and sorry for responding very slow. I've been busy! I just got a IP v2 regulated mod and need to know the best battery to use in it. Any help appreciated.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I appreciate all the info and sorry for responding very slow. I've been busy! I just got a IP v2 regulated mod and need to know the best battery to use in it. Any help appreciated.
IF you're vaping at .5 ohm or higher then Samsung 25R's are probably the best battery you can get that have a 20 amp max rating.

IF you're going to vape below .5 then consider some Sony VTC4 batteries.

liionwholesale.com is where i buy my authentic batteries from..Best prices you will find as well.

jsr27

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Do you happen to have a discount code for lion?

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The ipv2 has a max input current of 20 amps. You don't need a 30 amp cell regardless of what the resistance of your build is. Coil current and battery current aren't the same thing in a regulated mod. Get quality 20 amp cells. They'll cover the mods requirements and give you longer runtime than a vtc4. LG HE2's or Samsung 25r's would be good choices.

jsr27

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I already bought a vtc4 now.will this still perform good in the ipv2?

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes. It will work very well. The 20 amp cells generally have a slightly higher capacity which gives slightly longer runtime on a charge, but it's not significant. Vtc4's are great batteries.

Tim Vatic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
that site doesn't sell sonys at all. All they have are MNKE 26650's and IMREN 18650's.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you're talking about this post,
I bought them from central vapors.com. anyone know if these are fake
he screwed up the link. I would be skeptical of centralvapors.com. Their site let me add a vtc5 to a shopping cart. Makes me wonder if they're in the business of selling fakes.

jsr27

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
How low of voltage should I let it get before I recharge? I've got a note core in tell I charger. I don't want to damage them. I know that they should only discharged to a certain voltage but what is it? Anything else I should know to do to keep them health?

jsr27

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I also have a MXjo 35a battery. Is this a good battery to use in the IP v2? Is there anyway this is a fake?

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, MXJO batteries are rewrapped cells from LG, anyway. But I haven't heard of a problem with fake MXJO anyway.
And as far as the VTC5s, I don't know that the site you got them from is intentionally selling fakes, but I would be suspicious of the batteries anyway. Sony hasn't made them for a good while now, and there have been PLENTY of fakes going around. So unless they have a huge stockpile of them from a couple of years ago, I would not believe that you have authentic VTC5 batteries.

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When my mechs get hotter than i like i pull out the batt and realize its cool to the touch. Its the atty heating up the whole tube. When thermal runway or venting occurs the battery heats up way past any temps you can comfortably touch with your hands, ive never heard of batts spontaneously combusting, have they? Furthermore i alway heard vtc5 was a 20a with a higer mah. Never actually used a vtc5 when everyone was raving about them i had a stack of vtc3s i couldnt afford to just switch out. Didnt start with vtc4 til i got a batch of fake ass vtc3s. Used lg he2s until like 2 or 3 weeks ago when i was shown the light to vtc4s.

Also, with a very low build the tube itself and the connections will have some significant resistance, and power will be dissipated in the mod itself.

GrayVaper

Drips in Public
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I love my HE2s. No complaints in my mechs.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors