Become a Patron!

Wahhhh! My 18650 battery got busted!

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I dunno what the hell happened, but the positive side of one of my batteries got pushed inward and "dented," so to speak, so it wouldn't make contact with the pin...

*throws $4 battery into garbage in fit of uncontrollable rage*

How did this happen? is there a way to insert and remove these batteries that might cause this to happen? It's not a big deal to replace, I just don't want this happening regularly... Thanks!

georgemeadal

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It sucks that you ruined a battery. In that condition it could be "unsafe".
Don't just throw it in the trash ! Recycle.
I don't have a lot of experience as to what would cause this but forcing it would make sense.
Good Luck and Vape On.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Talk to us man, what kind of mod was battery in when you dropped it on the floor?

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In my experience Sony and Samsung cell seem to have a slightly stronger more robust positive pole than LG. Only top contacts I've dented have all been LG or LG rewraps. I've had a couple of mods with springs so strong, sliding the positive part of the battery in caused a dent. I've also dented one (LG HD2) by tightening down the button on my SMPL (no more than I was tightening it with 25R and VTC4. No danger there, the positive pon of the rda was so long there's no chance the threads would have touched the top contact.

Every single time I've done it has been user error. I should have pressed down on the negative contact with the cell a bit harder in the first case, before sliding the positive in. Second instance, I guess I should have been more careful with the SMPL, but there were no issues with non LG batteries. Nit saying there's a problem with them in general, that's just been my experience.

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sigh... satire thy name is people. The garbage thing was a joke. Ha.

Anyway, you are spot on NemesisVaper, It was indeed an LG battery Positive post that got dented. Fortunately, I have some eFest batteries as well. Again, not a huge deal to replace one batt... I guess I'll be more careful when inserting and removing batts fromn now on.

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Aye, baby them a bit mate.

An 18650 isn't designed to be installed and removed, rather welded together in packs. I guess they don't worry too much about metal strength over long periods. Stuff like USB has an insertion number spec, so designed to last for x number of plug ins / outs.

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Makes sense. Again, it's not huge worry, I'm just on the never ending quest for knowledge I suppose. and yes, some day all those batteries will lose their ability to hold a charge anyway.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I did this to 5 Sony VTC4s over the six months when my FUhattan was my all day every day mod. Between getting in and out of cars and my cat at home that damn mod hit the ground a lot. And almost every time it did the switch, the heaviest part, would hit the ground first and slam the battery into the positive pin and collapse battery's positive terminal.

VU Sponsors