Want TASTELESS Coils. How?

Discussion in 'General Rebuildable Discussion (RTA/RBA/RDA)' started by kilewa, Jan 6, 2017.

1. kilewa

kilewa New Member

Blog Posts:
    I have been wiring up an RBA and another RDA for at least 3 months now and still can't manage to make coils that are tasteless. People often say the coil just needs to be used a while for a burn in period, but I just don't buy it. The premade coils we all started on had no taste, so something must be different.

I have special natural cotton, and probably good kanthal & ss wire. Same result.

Should I use alcohol on the wire?
    What gloves should I use?

I think those two questions will help do a lot to get this right!

Thank you all!

toolbox875 likes this.
  2. AndriaD

AndriaD Shine on, you crazy... VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Are you flaming the wire before wrapping the coil? Pulsing the coil once it's mounted, before you try to wick it? I find those steps crucial.

Andria

3. SirRichardRear

SirRichardRear AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 1 Year Reviewer

Blog Posts:
    good quality SS316 wire and cotton bacon have no taste to me. kenthal has a taste but it's not much if you dry burn it first. SS wire is always clean but i still dry burn to remove hot spots

VapingPanda likes this.
  4. kilewa

kilewa New Member

Blog Posts:
    Maybe my dry burning isn't being done as thoroughly as it should be. I will try that. Thanks!

toolbox875 and SirRichardRear like this.
  5. AndriaD

AndriaD Shine on, you crazy... VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I always flame it, since I use 29ga, to remove the SPROING quality, and once it's mounted, I dry burn much as I would to clean it, about 3-4 times, with dousings with water in between. Then once it's wicked and primed, I keep the power very low until I can actually taste the juice and not the cotton, usually about 3-5 hits.

Andria

HondaDavidson likes this.
  6. r055co

r055co VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    • Run them through the ultrasonic after pulsing
    • Insure your have washed your hands "before" touching the cotton

7. HondaDavidson

HondaDavidson Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Have you tried silica or SS mesh. wicking? Both are tastless. I have been running the same silica wicked coil in my Avocado for the last 2 weeks now...... I have dry burn and rinsed it 2x. With cotton I rewick daily.

I didn't do this wick because of the cotton taste. But i was trying to get a cleaner or brighter flavor.
    Those old school clearomizer and stuff were using silica for wicking.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

8. Brad Mitchell

Brad Mitchell Bronze Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Make sure you have enough cotton and make sure there aren't any hot spots. Also make sure it glows evenly. I have always used temco wire and never had trouble with tasting wire.

AndriaD likes this.