Become a Patron!

Want to try these flavors, will this work?

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just got my first DIY order and I am pretty pumped to get started on this journey. After watching videos and reading posts about DIY I believe that I should taste my flavors individually to get an idea of the characteristics of each flavor.

I was thinking that if I mix 5-10ml for each flavor in max pg, then I will be able to get a sense of the true flavor without steeping. Does it work like that or am I just going to waste my materials? What % of flavor should I be using to start with?

Thanks for any help!

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
BTW, these are the flavors that I have. In case the recomended % is different for different juices.

Caramel Candy-FW
Butter Pecan-FW
Butterscotch-FW
Sugar Cookie-Cap
Dairy/Milk-TFA
Biscuit Concentrate-INW
Marshmallow-FA
Meringue-FA
Cream-HS
Cake Batter Dip-FW
Milk-FW
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream-TFA
Butter Cream-Cap
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream-Cap
Game Over Custard By Mama J's (Discounted Full Recipe)
10ml Vanilla Bourbon-FA
30ml Brown Sugar Extra-TFA
30ml Cake Batter-Cap
10ml Coconut-FA
30ml Vanilla Custard-Cap
10ml Cookie-FA
30ml Graham Cracker-FW
30ml Graham Cracker Clear-TFA
30ml Marshmallow-FA
30ml Vanilla Swirl-TFA
30ml (Graham Crust)
30ml Meringue
30ml Madagascar (Vanilla Classic)
30ml Fresh Cream
Golden Oreo Cheesecake - Huckleberried (Pick and Choose)

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
The way I saw that, you wanted to add 5-10 ml of flavor to PG? It does not work like that, you will be getting perfume with some serious harshness. You want to make testers of flavors with varying percentages, after you have tested your bases. Make 10 to 15 ml batches, be sure to shake the tits off everything. As for those flavors, they should be fine doing testers. Though the marshmallow is basically sweetener, cause it doesn't have a marshmallow taste. The VBIC isn't really a standalone to me, but that's just my tastes. Also the recipes you picked, is probably a little advanced for a beginner, though if ya want them flavors go for it. For starting DIY, some of the better recipes to start with is fruits and creams, because they are simple and leave more room for error. Just my opinions though, do things how you want. Welcome to DIY, hope you enjoy your stay :vino:

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah that's not what I meant at all. I think my post was pretty clear that I wanted to make 10-15ml testers that are max pg. My biggest question is what % of each flavor to use in my pg to get a sense of what the flavor is, and will I get a full sense of the flavor without steeping because I used max pg.

I was recommended these recipes because I am a beginner. Also, I really don't care for most fruity vapes.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
Yeah that's not what I meant at all. I think my post was pretty clear that I wanted to make 10-15ml testers that are max pg. My biggest question is what % of each flavor to use in my pg to get a sense of what the flavor is, and will I get a full sense of the flavor without steeping because I used max pg.

I was recommended these recipes because I am a beginner. Also, I really don't care for most fruity vapes.

Well you can use max PG, though it'll be ridiculously harsh, and in my opinion nasty as hell. As for percentages, same as if you made it in your favorite ratio, there is no set amount. Start low and work your way up with strength. As for trying right off the bat, you can as long as you shake real good, but it'll still be way better with even 24 hours of steep time. You'll still get a sense of the flavor in like say 30pg/70vg and honestly not as chemically a taste as pure PG gives. Sorry I misunderstood your question to begin with btw.
Examples of start percentages:
TFA VBIC ~4%
TFA vanilla swirl ~5%
Vanilla classic ~1%

Most FA flavors tend to be stronger than others, most Cap and TFA flavors are equal in strength, most INW are equal to FA, and most FW are weaker than others. Just as a rule of thumb, check out the recommended percents on the manufacturers website for a general idea.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just my personal preference, but I always test single flavors at the same ratios I intend to mix with, which for me is 60VG/40PG or 70VG/30PG.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The way I test is using the same base I would make a recipe with. I vape 30/70 pg/vg @ 2-3 mg nic so that's what I mix my testers in. Since you got the flavors to make GOC and Golden Oreo go ahead and make a batch of each using the full recipe so you have something great to vape on. Then start your testers.

What kind of gear are you using? I use a dripper for testing. So much easier than tanks where you have to wash, rinse, repeat...

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What kind of gear are you using? I use a dripper for testing. So much easier than tanks where you have to wash, rinse, repeat...

Therein lies the rub. I've always tested with drippers as well. Yet, so often, when I use the same juice in a tank it just isn't as good. Hell, it's never as flavorful. So, the solution is......squonking!!! I started recently and it's great!

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just got my first DIY order and I am pretty pumped to get started on this journey. After watching videos and reading posts about DIY I believe that I should taste my flavors individually to get an idea of the characteristics of each flavor.

I was thinking that if I mix 5-10ml for each flavor in max pg, then I will be able to get a sense of the true flavor without steeping. Does it work like that or am I just going to waste my materials? What % of flavor should I be using to start with?

Thanks for any help!

You've got a fair amount of flavors there. To get a true sense of the flavor you'll need to test them at different strengths, 2, 4, 6, 8% etc. The amount needed varies widely from manufacturer. You'd spend a shitload of time and base if you did each test at your proposed levels. I've pasted below a method that you can try. It's fast, fairly accurate and inexpensive.

Testing Flavors

19 drops PG/VG
1 drop of flavor = 5%
2 drops =10%
3 drops = 15%
and so on.

When you find the % of flavor you like you can make a 5ml batch using one of the calculators to get the %s. Using a 1ml syringe is the easiest way to get accurate amounts in small batches. 10% flavor would be .5ml flavor and 4.5ml (nicotine, PG/VG) base.

Fill a 3ml bottle with 19 drops of pg with dropper. The bottle is marked off for the 20 drop level. Then I add one drop of flavoring with the same dropper. I then shake the bottle and put 3 drops in an atty and vape it. I then add 2 drops pg and another drop flavoring to keep the bottle at the marked level. Next I drop 3 drops and vape (10%). Then repeat until 20-25% just to be sure I don’t undershoot my sweet spot and to know what it tastes like when it reaches an over flavored percentage. On flavors I think are going to be stronger I will start with a 40 drop base so I can start at 2.5%.

For this example, I'm going to use 3ml ...put 3ml of pg or vg in a container
add .3 ml of flavoring to give you 10% flavoring.

If it's too strong, add more pg until it tastes right to you. If too weak add more flavor. (Keep track of what you're adding). Once you decide what's good (as an example let's say you ended up liking .3ml of flavor in 5 ml of base.
You now know that if you want to mix up 20ml of juice, you need 1.2ml of flavor (based on .3ml per 5ml).

Take 5ml of water and mix one drop of a flavoring and swish it around my mouth. It’s amazing how much it helps to "learn" a flavoring really taste what it like. I use exactly 5 ml, so I can gauge how potent the flavoring is. If it needs two drops I know it’s a weaker flavor that will need to be a higher percentage. If it’s too strong I know it will require less. It’s really helped me make better mixes. True, the flavor, once mixed in pg/vg changes a bit, but not as much as you'd think. It’s worked really well for me so far.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Just to keep it easy I'm testing in rda. If it's too strong probably ok to try in rta, if weak with rda I add more flavor.

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Awesome thanks for all the advice! I'm currently getting bottles ready for your methods bobnat. Def going to try the swish with water method too because that seems the quickest and like you mentioned I have quite a few flavors to learn.

As far as gear goes when I test juice before I buy it I usually use my dead rabbit with a single exotic coil. My all day vape is mostly split between my petri 24 rta dual staples at .14ish and my Hadaly with a single SSFC at .17 on my dripbox 160.

I mixed 30ml of the GOC, I'm not crazy about it but it's not bad. Custards always sound good until I try them and remember that I don't like that eggy custard taste. I will make the golden oreo one shortly.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Awesome thanks for all the advice! I'm currently getting bottles ready for your methods bobnat. Def going to try the swish with water method too because that seems the quickest and like you mentioned I have quite a few flavors to learn.

As far as gear goes when I test juice before I buy it I usually use my dead rabbit with a single exotic coil. My all day vape is mostly split between my petri 24 rta dual staples at .14ish and my Hadaly with a single SSFC at .17 on my dripbox 160.

I mixed 30ml of the GOC, I'm not crazy about it but it's not bad. Custards always sound good until I try them and remember that I don't like that eggy custard taste. I will make the golden oreo one shortly.

I also use a Hadaly on a DB 160. Amazing flavor, isn't it? I feel the same way about custards. I wanted to like them, but the flavor doesn't sit well with me. I feel the same way about the cheesecakes. I now only use custard in a small, supporting role. I find FA Custard is great in a recipe at 1-1.5% but that's it.

If you think you have a lot of flavors, wait until you've been at it for a year. I'm almost at 200 now in 11 months. I've found that if I really like something, I'll vape the hell out of it, then move on to something else. It keeps it interesting and I like the variety.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
In case the recomended % is different for different juices.

I run 70PG/30VG
8-10% FW Butter Pecan or Caramel Candy stand alone
2-4% FA Cookie stand alone
1-2% Biscuit stand alone (2% may be strong)

Soft Ice Cream Cone
4% TFA Vanilla Bean
2% TFA Dairy Milk
1% INW Biscuit
1% FA Marshmallow
1% FA Meringue

Most of those flavors are used in recipes BTW.

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I run 70PG/30VG
8-10% FW Butter Pecan or Caramel Candy stand alone
2-4% FA Cookie stand alone
1-2% Biscuit stand alone (2% may be strong)

Soft Ice Cream Cone
4% TFA Vanilla Bean
2% TFA Dairy Milk
1% INW Biscuit
1% FA Marshmallow
1% FA Meringue

Most of those flavors are used in recipes BTW.
Awesome thanks for the advice. I prefer a super sweet sugar lips kind of vape. Do you think adding 2-4% sucralose to those standalone flavors will be good or are they sweet already? Would the other sweetener be better? (I forget the name, ethyl something or other)

jr779

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don’t test flavours because there are so many awesome testers and recipe developers on this site especially that I just try out recipes and continue to make what I like. If you want to develop your own recipes and see what your tastebuds prefer, testing flavours is the way to go.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Awesome thanks for the advice. I prefer a super sweet sugar lips kind of vape. Do you think adding 2-4% sucralose to those standalone flavors will be good or are they sweet already? Would the other sweetener be better? (I forget the name, ethyl something or other)

I prefer NOW brand Better Stevia in Glycerol(VG), and I just mix it 50/50 with PG to make it easier to work with.
TFA Sweetener is the other one I use sometimes, but only a drop or 2 in 15ml.
It's real easy to kill the flavors when you start using percents with sweeteners IMO.
1% each of FA Marshmallow & Meringue help with the sweetness a little bit too.
I'd start with smaller amounts of sweetener at first just to test the waters, so to speak.

VU Sponsors