Become a Patron!

WARNING! Another iStick 50 watt blows up while charging.........

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
WARNING! Another iStick 50 watt blows up while charging. Please keep an eye on yours when charging, do not leave it unattended.

12004956_1196869386995109_4164513357652353017_n.jpg 12038029_1196869373661777_5029256802224833744_n.jpg

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Damn! :eek:
I'm kinda glad mine just died peacefully.....

Kleinman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Daaaaang! Mine was still under warranty and was acting wonky so last weekend I traded it in for the Evic VT. I am happy with my decision and this just reinforces it!

Seems like these always blow up with the tank on and while charging. Take note lstick owners! Take your tank off, leave power off while charging and do not leave unattended!

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
The problem is that vapers are using a charger above 1 amp, like a android charger that is 2.0 to 2.4 amps.

yamooo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The problem is that vapers are using a charger above 1 amp, like a android charger that is 2.0 to 2.4 amps.

I do not think so. IIRC Eleaf admitted they used wrong boards for the iStick 50W which lead to them exploding. Now they have claimed that they fixed that but I would not buy iStick 50 and would recommend everyone else against it.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
I do not think so. IIRC Eleaf admitted they used wrong boards for the iStick 50W which lead to them exploding. Now they have claimed that they fixed that but I would not buy iStick 50 and would recommend everyone else against it.
Great info did not know that. Did they have a recall?

yamooo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was thinking of selling my istick 50 but I would feel bad if it did something like this to someone. Is $20 too much? I should probably just dispose of it properly

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Yeah man just dispose it off in a best buy or something.

Great info did not know that. Did they have a recall?

Haha noooooope. Eleaf isn't exactly known for their customer service. At first they were like all these isticks blowing up are just fakes.

Slurve

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I know eleaf isn't doing a recall but I went to the website I bought it from, myvaporstore.Com, to see if they would do a buy back or return on it. I went to their faq first and it said most box mods and apv's have a lifespan of 3 to 6 months. I bought mine in April and have already replaced it with something bigger so I doubt they would do anything.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dang it!
So here is a question. If the 50watt is dangerous...What does that mean for the 100w!?

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When it comes to the charging brick, using one with a higher amperage rating won't matter. The device will only take what the board calls for. If you use a brick with a lower amperage rating, it will just take longer to charge.

The problems happen if you use a brick with a higher voltage output. Use 12 volts for a device that calls for 5 volts and you will release the magic smoke ;)

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I guess mine is going in the battery recycle bin then, I don't like risks

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you follow basic safety steps and use a 1 amp charger, charge with the unit off, take the atomizer off the device when charging, and don't charge unattended, this device is as safe as most other mass produced units. I have 3 ISticks, and all have performed flawlessly. I recommend them highly.

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you follow basic safety steps and use a 1 amp charger, charge with the unit off, take the atomizer off the device when charging, and don't charge unattended, this device is as safe as most other mass produced units. I have 3 ISticks, and all have performed flawlessly. I recommend them highly.

While this is probably true, I'd recommend a more fool proof and less explosion prone mod. Lots of people have hectic days where they forget to do little things. If more people avoid manufacturers that use faulty components in their electronics, those manufactures will be compelled to either improve their quality or get replaced by other manufacturers who care about their customer's safety.

That said, I do admit to owning 2 Cloupor Minis. They have been absolutely rock solid since February, although neither of them have ever been plugged into a charger. They're risky to trust on a charger.

Last edited:

vape4942

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I have four iSticks, 10w, 20w, 40w, 50w. No problems whatsoever. I understand warnings and giving cautions, but to suggest that there is a problem across the board without something official from the company is the problem. I will take the advice of removing the tank and powering off while charging though. That's good advice for any mod, not just the iSticks.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Im just wondering when people will see the connection between USB charging and fires and stop using them...Its such a piece of mind and a wonderful option to replace the battery at will and charge them on a charger that is much safer to use...Seems to me the pcb boards on the usb chargers are not regulating or shutting down once fully charged and ,over charging the cells or just not regulating the voltage/amperage properly..I have no doubt as low cost as these eleafs are that they use the cheapest charge modules possible on the market for use...My MVP20W was my first and last built in battery and charging ill ever own even though ive not had an issue with it while I used it.

vape4942

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
in a perfect world yea ,but no china manu will ever come out and say our mods are faulty ,you're dreaming there

now,what is the reasoning for removing the tank ?? can it possibly fire while it is charging ?!? that would be an issue
I'm thinking that would be the reason to remove the tank. I'm not scientist or engineer so I couldn't give the technical reasons but it seems to make sense to mean in laymen terms.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
now,what is the reasoning for removing the tank ?? can it possibly fire while it is charging ?!? that would be an issue

I don't have any IStick Mods. When I read that I was thinking, maybe if you screw your atty down to far (or just a longer connector on the atty side) it can short during charging. That's just a guess.

Kleinman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I feel like it is probably too late if it fires while charging.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Any company that adheres to the USB standards set forth by USB.org does not have these problems, and eleaf/joyetech is not one of them. You don't see Innokin having any usb problems causing explosions and auto-fires. eleaf/joyetech cuts corners and assembles the cheapest components they can possibly find. Ever wonder how they can build, sell, wholesale, & ship a mod for less than the price of taking your kids to McDonalds?

head_jt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
in a perfect world yea ,but no china manu will ever come out and say our mods are faulty ,you're dreaming there

Aren't all eleaf mods pass through?

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dang it!
So here is a question. If the 50watt is dangerous...What does that mean for the 100w!?

Eleaf are thankfully going to 18650 batteries. I always use Samsungs in my 100W iSchtick. The new 60 W TC uses a single 18650. I have been using the usb charging every night without issue. If you're worried about it, you can charge on external charger.

Btw, using a wall wart with over 1.0 amp should never be an issue because the actual charging/ regulation is the job of the mod.

Last edited:

hoot2k16

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey everyone. Sadly, I signed up to this site just for THIS thread.

Equipment:
iStick50W (Culprit)
Kanger SubTank Mini (observer)
Me (Angry)

I work midnights and today I crashed for my customary 4 hr nap after work. My iStick 50W was completely drained after shift last night so I set about to charge it in an isolated MONSTER Power bar with Surge protection and with the provided charger and USB cable; as I have done everytime in the month I have owned it.

I woke up to a boom and what sounded literally like a type of firework spewing smoke and flame across a ten foot expanse.

Yes I should have done my homework ahead of time and not bought the goddamn thing in the first place but I truly enjoyed my 100W (no issues) and my 10W which my wife uses. The retail storefront was shocked when I told her it exploded (we had been joking about this in the days prior on my last visit to the shop - karma) and the owner called BS. I arrived with the detonated unit in hand and the look on their faces was shock. They gave me store credit (wasn't seeking that) nor was I looking to embarrass them (I waited patiently for the customers they had to leave before presenting the failed unit respectively.).
The owner said he has been vaping for "a number of years" and never heard of a single iStick failure. Prior to arriving I did some post-incident research (led me here) and a number of other sites and instances, videos etc appeared. A large number of failures and incidents. The only thing I said to the owner, take these things off your shelves before someone gets hurt. He said he couldn't afford to do that but given what he'd seen, he would be returning all product to them immediately at a loss. As a solid, the man gave me an IPV D2 for free. I haven't used it much as I didn't have an 18650 ready to play with it.

As someone fairly new to this realm, and learning essentially on the fly and sadly by folly today - I need to do my research ahead of time. The iStick issue has been around for over a year and I was completely unaware due to ignorance and a lack of education on the matter. Mea Culpa.

Nobody injured - minor damage to hardwood floor (molten battery lava or the bottom door for the casing I think - I ain't no fire marshal) and scorching to my night stand.

As a rookie - this scares the literal sh*t out of me. Please to anyone who MAY READ THIS: This is a cautionary tale. Please research before buying product that someone RECOMMENDS.

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey Hoot, can you post some pics? Sorry about your iStick. Mine is a year old and I guess I have just been lucky. I do charge it in the backyard sitting in a ceramic bowl...

Last edited:

hoot2k16

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I can't at the moment - I literally forgot to take pictures with regard to it. Its safely in the hands (although its now inert and a heap of melted shit) in the hands of the original retailer.

I took detailed photos of my scorched nightstand and the molten on the floor. Its very upsetting and I sent a sternly worded email to www.eleafworld.com giving them until 1600hrs EST to respond to me or my lawyer or the next step is to contact my nations product watchdog and Customs to enforce the potential for explosion hazards on eLeaf products only. I know they are unlikely to give a shit but I promise you in the position I am professionally, its a severe reality that it will close an importation market for them.

I even took the 18650's out of my 100W eLeaf mod because I'm shook about their shit now. I don't even want to deal with them.

hoot2k16

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Most iSticks are just fine. Most.

What you have to ask yourself is, do you feel lucky?

No - I prefer I dodged a bullet. Learned a very very dangerous lesson also.
I hope that someone can take this information I've posted and just .... learn to read. That was the biggest failure about this whole debacle.
The consumer in me would NEVER have ever bought anything without due diligence - why the hell didn't I do it about something so life changing (and potentially dangerous in uneducated hands) and about something being used to bring something into my body?

I agree - for clarity - I do own a 10w iStick mini that I used to dig for its portability and for light vaping. I went Sub and well never went back - mistakes were made lessons learned.

Sidenote: Whilst I said no body was injured, turns out I was by stepping onto the molten metal lava - light surface burn left big toe.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
No - I prefer I dodged a bullet. Learned a very very dangerous lesson also.

Don't get me wrong, you are preaching toi the converted. If I wanted to die burning in my bed, I would still smoke. Consumer electronics simply should not self immolate.

I just have a twisted sense of humor.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I stopped buying the Isticks after my 50w started its shut down crap and I would need to plug it into a PC to get it to turn on again....the charger or anything else wouldnt turn it on for some reason.

I did buy the 100w TC as its 100x's better quality and I charge my batteries separately.

hoot2k16

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Don't get me wrong, you are preaching toi the converted. If I wanted to die burning in my bed, I would still smoke. Consumer electronics simply should not self immolate.

I just have a twisted sense of humor.
Oh the sense of humour was definitely noted and appreciated ;)

I stopped buying the Isticks after my 50w started its shut down crap and I would need to plug it into a PC to get it to turn on again....the charger or anything else wouldnt turn it on for some reason.

I did buy the 100w TC as its 100x's better quality and I charge my batteries separately.
Consider yourself lucky. I had my wife take one of the 18650's out of my 100W tonight for that reason. I am sure the quality is better - it even feels more solid in my hand than the 50W ever was but its a shake to your confidence when you are putting a potential IED that close to your chiclets if you know what I mean.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Oh the sense of humour was definitely noted and appreciated ;)

Consider yourself lucky. I had my wife take one of the 18650's out of my 100W tonight for that reason. I am sure the quality is better - it even feels more solid in my hand than the 50W ever was but its a shake to your confidence when you are putting a potential IED that close to your chiclets if you know what I mean.
I made a Mask of Kevlar, Ceramic Plates and Carbon weave for incidents like this ;) and just in case the Army comes to take my arsenal :D

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just a heads up... both the i100 and 100TC are parallel wiring.
They are live, and will fire with just a single battery.

Well spotted, but I think his iStick is a puddle, is the IPV D2 serial, or parallel?

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well spotted, but I think his iStick is a puddle, is the IPV D2 serial, or parallel?

The post I quoted says one, though I see upthread he mentions pulling batteries plural.
Both in regards to his 100 watter iStick. D2 is a single cell, so... series. :p

Last edited:

martin

Member For 4 Years
i had 8 isticks both 50w ones started to self fire others ok so far my guess was ejuice getting into the pcb so they are ditched

hoot2k16

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes - on further investigation it would appear that the 100W iStick seems to be much much safer although I am no longer using it (or any goddamn mod) to charge through.

I have made contact with eLeaf and they are awaiting my response. Should be interesting to say the least.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
i had 8 isticks both 50w ones started to self fire others ok so far my guess was ejuice getting into the pcb so they are ditched

The old IPV V2 was a 50 watt box that had a touch fire button on top and if eliquid got on it the device would autofire.

From the IPV 4 / IPV Mini 2 on they did away with the touch sensor.

Here is the one with the touch sensor right next to the 510 connector:

IPV V2.jpg

Mark1963

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have one of these 50W iStick's. I haven't used it in months. One night, it started ohm-jumping. I read about it over at ECF and saw how many problems that mod was having.

I contacted eLeaf and basically was told to stuff it.

I haven't bought anything by eLeaf since and will not do so in the future.

skizzums

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just bought my wife the Eleaf 60w TC about three weeks ago, so far it's seems to be a very stable device, fires consistently and reads builds as my ohmmeter reads. I know this isn't likely a common issue with a removable cell iStick, but even the 60 has a very cheap/flimsy feel to it, i thank you for sharing and will definitely "reinvigorate" my wife's safety practices in the morning (she likes to plug into the usb by her bed and put it next to pillow, despite the three chargers we have on the dresser next to the cigar box with about 15 fully charged 18650's at all times). Although we haven't had an issue with the device and she loves the ergos and portability, i am unimpressed with the mod(loose fitting cover plates, cheap wobbly buttons and a general lack of soul) and the melo 2 tank is absolutely awful, and will not be buying any eleaf products in the future unless some big changes are made. The chip seems to run well though, so they at least have the heart to hopefully build a decent device around one day. and i have to give some credit to at least attempting to add a separate button for toggle of TC modes, unfortunately they even made that more of a hassle than any of my three button devices, i was stoked at first when i saw that button :(

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
and i have to give some credit to at least attempting to add a separate button for toggle of TC modes, unfortunately they even made that more of a hassle than any of my three button devices, i was stoked at first when i saw that button

That mode button makes sense on the 40TC and 60TC with just a few modes.
It is absolutely my biggest complaint with the 100TC... with Watts, Bypass, Ni, Ti, SS, M1, M2, M3 to get through... AND NO WAY TO SPEED UP THE PROCESS. :mad:

and will not be buying any eleaf products in the future unless some big changes are made.

The 40TC, i100 and 60TC (in quick succession) marked the start of a course change for Eleaf box mods (and JoyeTech management?) but it was the VTC and other JT mods, right up to this week's PICO, that show the results of that change.

The three groups are quite distinct from one another.

VU Sponsors