vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Warning to all Newbies

Once upon a time, I was a newbie. I started vaping about 16 months ago. My first vape was a store bought Blu disposable and then a variety of other store bought cigalikes. They were so expensive that when I heard that White Cloud was having a sale of cigalikes for $1 each, I ordered fifty of them (most of which still sit in a drawer unvaped). I finally decided to try something real, so I ordered a $15 starter kit that included an evod, an ego battery and a charger. I insisted that I was set and wouldn't be buying any more equipment. The evod was all that I would ever need, my newbie mind decided.

Flash forward. Now I have . . .

1 C-Twist

2 Ego batteries

2 Mech Mods

1 18650
1 18500
1 18350

2 MVP2s

3 Vivi Novas

2 Iclear30s

3 Evods

4 Protank II Minis

1 Protank II

1 Nautilus

1 Nautilus Mini

1 AgaT2

1 Venturi dripper

1 Kayfun 3.1

1 Bridgeless atomizer

1 Smok Cartomizer

Variety of drip tips and acessories

200 ft of various kanthal

Various wicking material, cotton, silica, mesh

Dozens of various spare prebuilt coils

60+ bottles of various juice flavors

400ml of 100mg nicotine base

20 flavor concentrates

PG and VG

Nitecore i2 battery charger

Box filled with wire cutters, screwdrivers, drill bits, scissors, magnifying lens and other gadgets used for building

And I’m nowhere near done discovering.

I still have spent less money overall than I would have had I bought cigarettes instead.

So let this be a warning to all newbies. You are entering into a journey of vape.

Last edited:

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well Said!

And it doesn't look like you have gotten to the point of breaking the 50 watt barrier yet so add another $80:D
This is true, Unc, and that is definitely my next goal as I start getting into things that require more wattage. :)

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Well, let's see...first there were the Blu e-cigs. Never really cared much for those, so I never even bothered to try other brands. I also skipped the eGo stuff because they didn't look like they would even come close to fitting the bill.

• MVP 2.0
  • Innokin 134 Mini
  • 4 Nautilus Minis
  • 2 Innokin iClear tanks
  • 7 Mech mods - 2 of which have been thrown away
  • 5 RDAs
  • 8 18650 batteries
  • 2 18350 batteries
  • 2 battery chargers
  • 43 bottles of e-liquid
  • Spools of every gauge of kanthal from 32-22
  • I only buy clear acrylic drip tips...got 4 of those
  • A toolbox full of rebuilding tools, cotton, and other crap
All of that in just a few months. I have no desire to mess with DIY e-liquid, and box mods aren't appealing to me. I've found my happy medium with mech tube mods and RDAs. Got my first Clapton coil right here that I'm eager to try out.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Lol, and now Joe posted about that Kanger box mod, the journey has just begun.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've sold/traded or given away most of my gear throughout my 2 years of vaping (which I just hit last week)

I'm very content with what I currently have now and trying not to go too overboard...

IPV2S
KBOX
Stingray X mech
MVP v1 and v2 (mainly use just to charge my cell phone lol)
Istick Mini
2 RDA's: (CLTv2 and Magma v1)
3 RBA's: KFL / KF v4 / Subtank and Subtank Mini
26g and 28g wire along with Japanese Cotton and 500ft of Cellucotton as a backup
A boat load of Dr Crimmy's OD Custard

To think of all the $ i wasted along the way or things I bought and used a couple times.. I've had everything from ego twists, to evic's, to a zmax - from protank 1's to iclear 30's - the list could go on and on!

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've sold/traded or given away most of my gear throughout my 2 years of vaping (which I just hit last week)

I'm very content with what I currently have now and trying not to go too overboard...

IPV2S
KBOX
Stingray X mech
MVP v1 and v2 (mainly use just to charge my cell phone lol)
Istick Mini
2 RDA's: (CLTv2 and Magma v1)
3 RBA's: KFL / KF v4 / Subtank and Subtank Mini
26g and 28g wire along with Japanese Cotton and 500ft of Cellucotton as a backup
A boat load of Dr Crimmy's OD Custard

To think of all the $ i wasted along the way or things I bought and used a couple times.. I've had everything from ego twists, to evic's, to a zmax - from protank 1's to iclear 30's - the list could go on and on!
I wouldn't think of it as wasted money. Imagine what you would have if you spent it all on cigarettes. A big bag of butts.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I wouldn't think of it as wasted money. Imagine what you would have if you spent it all on cigarettes. A big bag of butts.

very true.. cigarettes, and Ukrainian hookers.. (both terrible habits)

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The 50 Watt barrier? According to P=(v^2)/R, I already blasted past that with my mech. :D
What about the 150 watt barrier. Does anyone even vape that high or is all for show?

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What about the 150 watt barrier. Does anyone even vape that high or is all for show?

I've seen it happen. One of the guys at my local vape shop turned his SYM GOD Mod all the way up to 220W. It was interesting to say the least. He said he usually keeps around 100W at the most though.

Scooby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Warning to all Newbies

Once upon a time, I was a newbie. I started vaping about 16 months ago. My first vape was a store bought Blu disposable and then a variety of other store bought cigalikes. They were so expensive that when I heard that White Cloud was having a sale of cigalikes for $1 each, I ordered fifty of them (most of which still sit in a drawer unvaped). I finally decided to try something real, so I ordered a $15 starter kit that included an evod, an ego battery and a charger. I insisted that I was set and wouldn't be buying any more equipment. The evod was all that I would ever need, my newbie mind decided.

Flash forward. Now I have . . .

1 C-Twist

2 Ego batteries

2 Mech Mods

1 18650
1 18500
1 18350

2 MVP2s

3 Vivi Novas

2 Iclear30s

3 Evods

4 Protank II Minis

1 Protank II

1 Nautilus

1 Nautilus Mini

1 AgaT2

1 Venturi dripper

1 Kayfun 3.1

1 Bridgeless atomizer

1 Smok Cartomizer

Variety of drip tips and acessories

200 ft of various kanthal

Various wicking material, cotton, silica, mesh

Dozens of various spare prebuilt coils

60+ bottles of various juice flavors

400ml of 100mg nicotine base

20 flavor concentrates

PG and VG

Nitecore i2 battery charger

Box filled with wire cutters, screwdrivers, drill bits, scissors, magnifying lens and other gadgets used for building

And I’m nowhere near done discovering.

I still have spent less money overall than I would have had I bought cigarettes instead.

So let this be a warning to all newbies. You are entering into a journey of vape.

I too was "set" once I bought that evod. But
d00ff1f7ae89dcb622afe55cb52babd7.jpg

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've seen it happen. One of the guys at my local vape shop turned his SYM GOD Mod all the way up to 220W. It was interesting to say the least. He said he usually keeps around 100W at the most though.
Must have looked like a smoke stack.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
First was the Ego's and those shitty clear-o's that spit hot e-juice in your mouth.

Then an X6 and a EVOD.
Then a Aero V2
Then came box mods, like the Sigelei V2, tube mods in 18650 and 26650, unregulated boxes, A shitty Smaug, tons of RDA's and several RTA's.
No to mention couple handfuls of batteries and two Intelli chargers.

Then, toss in a basket full of DIY flavorings, PG/VG, several liters of nic, and an armload of bottles......

Yeah, a FAR cry from a spinner and a tank.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

I Vape a 150 watt Sigelei V2 @ 35 watts and get 4 days of battery life plus I do not stress the chip at all.
I think that is how sensible people do it.

But I have both my 120 watt raptor 1590B hammond boxes opened all the way up.
6 Volts .3 ohms Mutayion X V3 on one and Dark Horse on the other.
They are my dripper boxes.

A Naos Raptor Chip is meant to be stressed to the max.

VapinChevy

Abnormal Chevy Guy
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
i have been vaping since 2009. if I were to list everything I had, well let's just say, I don't have enough time to post the entire list.

Eric your the same as me lol. If I was to list everything I used to have, and what I have now! I could open an actual B&M ;) lol

EthelMaltol

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Nice stuff! Let's not scare away the noobs! You don't "need" all this stuff. If you are starting now, you can skip over all the crap we used to use. For the $80 I spent on an ego kit with clearomizers, you could go straight into a subtank and kbox! Add 2 batteries, a charger and juice and you are good to go. You could spend a bit more and get even better stuff. You could become addicted and buy everything. But, in the end, you can always resell your unused equipment. The money you spent wasn't a complete waste, like a pile of butts. But, I definitely suggest starting out with the best equipment you can afford as it will be much more satisfying and will save you a lot of money in the long run.

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
for the record i started vaping back when your only options were cigalike with a three piece design and th elike pensytles and the like. this was before cartomizers and before box mods hell the new thing back then after cartomizers was a 5v box mod then we had very primal juicebox like designs and then self punched carto tanks. rather then list it all i will list some vendor names i can remember.

Janty, Puresmoker , altsmoke, DSE, SAliebro provape electronixstix avejuice jonhsoncreek just to name a few

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow. I thought my collection was big. All I have is:

1 Infinite copper Tobh V2 clone, 1 Tobeco Hobo clone, 1 Tobeco Marquis clone, 1 Tobeco Plume Veil clone, and 1, "Steamboat," Togboat V2 clone.

1 black, full copper FUhattan and 1 EHPro Changling

3 Sony VTC4s

1 Nitecore D2 charger

3 30ml of juice

Feels a little small now.

trlrtrash13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
for the record i started vaping back when your only options were cigalike with a three piece design and th elike pensytles and the like.
I had Njoy Npro, and when they quit making that the 51. Then the upgraded (my first cartomizer) 51 duo. Then Mistic, then V2. And then I bought a Lambo 4.0 with a Vivi Nova. I won't even try to list what all I have collected since.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Kanger Evod "double" starter kit..Used this for a good solid year.
complete diy coil supplies
2 authentic sony vtc5's..(was gonna build custom box mod)
NiteCore i2 charger.

Since ive been on VU:

MVP 20w
Cloupor 30w
Sigelei 30w mini
Vamo V2
x2 Taifun GT's
Kayfun Lite +
Protank 2 and mini with v3 afc's
EMOW tank
Huge bag of kanger "single coil" coil heads.
Complete DIY e juice set up
X1 E-Fest 2500 purple
Taifun GT V2 base and nano parts plus drip tip...(waiting for slow ship)

And i still want a kanger subtank mini or nano and more rta's....sigh.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I started out with the original Joyetech 510, because I thought I wanted something that looked like a cigarette. Then I bought a Joyetech Ego for the additional time between recharges. Then I bought 510-t and ego-t's because tanks seemed like a good idea. Chain vaping 24mg juice and drinking as much of it as I was actually vaporizing because those systems sucked.

Went back to smoking.

Returned to the scene and picked up an I taste MVP and an aerotank. Then grabbed an I taste vv and an aerotank for the wife and a vv for myself. Thought I'd be good to go, but found myself unsatisfied after all.

Went back to smoking.

Finally decided that I'm not an idiot and had no reason to fear rebuildables, and my inner gadget geek wanted something to tinker with. Picked up a Dark Horse clone, some kanthal and kgd at a local b&m while mildly hammered one day to use on my Yocan Exgo V2 regulated Erl mod. Guy hanging out in the store took the time to show me how to wrap a dual coil and wick with kgd, and I was blown away with the results.

Returned the next day and bought a cf sleeved Knight mod and some 18650's.

Tried pulling the top cap off of my dark horse the following day, and the Atty pulled straight out of the mod and wouldn't thread back in. Went back to the b&m and exchanged it for a Sir Lancelot clone. After disassembling the switch and modding it with a washer to reduce throw, stretching the spring to prevent auto firing when set down while unlocked, and tweaking the assembly a bit to eliminate slop in the switch, I was a happy guy.

Decided to buy a derringer clone to practice building on (while being able to vape on the 'horse as I build), and an ohm meter because I realized I couldn't trust my multimeter.

Now I'm totally happy with the vape quality and really don't want to smoke whatsoever, for the first time in decades.

I'm itching for another 18650 tube though, probably a hybrid to reduce length. Want an sx-mini and a sig150 too. And a fancy Xtar charger so I can leave my luc v4 in the car... And Sony can't start producing vtc5 or better batteries soon enough! Oh, and I'm going to need to start looking into diy'ing juice because I'm spending far too much money at the juice bar. $1/ml for quality juice, more or less, is a bit much.

Last edited:

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i have been vaping since 2009. if I were to list everything I had, well let's just say, I don't have enough time to post the entire list.
I have lost track of the gear I have pif'd. At one point I had 18 Tube mods and a bunch of tanks and RDA, both authentic and clone. 3/4 of my clones are gone, I still have my 3 Nemisis clones, just can't seem to part with them. I've pif'd all my ego stuff, all my carto tanks, all my Protanks. Some how I now have more vape gear after that.

Bobx

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Holy sh*t there friend. It would be cheaper if you went back to stinkies LOL There is no way I will get that far at my age LOL
I have a few Aspire BDC's clearomizers
A few Kanger Mini Pro tank 2's
and 4 ego 1300m/a twist batteries
and a little DIY stuff to make juice and rebuild the odd coil

I'm small potatoes and hope to stay that way.

Spike64

Vapemail Stalker
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I also have an obscene amount of vaping gear too...along the lines of some of the other mod whores who've posted here...my GF looks at it and just shakes her head....

Tom_Pulliam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wow. I thought my collection was big. All I have is:

1 Infinite copper Tobh V2 clone, 1 Tobeco Hobo clone, 1 Tobeco Marquis clone, 1 Tobeco Plume Veil clone, and 1, "Steamboat," Togboat V2 clone.

1 black, full copper FUhattan and 1 EHPro Changling

3 Sony VTC4s

1 Nitecore D2 charger

3 30ml of juice

Feels a little small now.
That's a lot more than I have

Spike64

Vapemail Stalker
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This spring when it warms up I'm gonna build me a great big mod stand...its gonna be epic...and big....and full of mods...then, I will need to build another...because I'm a mod whore and this shit never ends...lol

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I bought damn near every disposable and cigalike offered for years until I picked up an ego and a couple other pen styles.
had no luck with any of them and always went back to analogs.
last sept, I had a friend suggest an mvp and the i clear that comes with it.
I had no idea that vape had progressed as much so I tried it but still wasn't all that impressed with it.
I was still looking for an analog substitute that felt, drew and tasted like a cig.
I finally said fuck it, hit my LVS and grabbed some 0% nic flavors and a plume veil.
what I found was that I had been going about it ALL wrong for the last 5 years or so...
even with the plume running on 11w I was able to tell that flavor is where it's at!
I picked up a sigelei 30w and a lemo and now I crave the flavor more than the nic of an analog and now realize that cigs taste like Satan's anus.
I'm still on analogs because I don't like how nic content changes my flavors but im down to about 4-5 a day.

My advice to anyone looking for an analog replacement, forget the cigalikes, think of some of your favorite flavors and smells and find a suitable juice, then do a bit of research and find a mod/tank combo that will suit your preferences.

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fwiw, what I mean by nic changing my flavors is that sour/bitterness in the back of your throat like you get with chewing tobacco.
I can taste it even with only a couple drops of 6mg in 5mls of 0mg.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Fwiw, what I mean by nic changing my flavors is that sour/bitterness in the back of your throat like you get with chewing tobacco.
I can taste it even with only a couple drops of 6mg in 5mls of 0mg.
Fwiw, apparently different sources of nicotine have different flavor, smell, throat hit etc. You might try sourcing a different brand with less pepperiness or throat hit which may suit you better.

Not sure if such a review exists for american nic sources, but this thread on Canadian nic base availability might be a bit enlightening.

http://www.wackedoutecig.ca/11118-canadian-nicotine-review.html

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fwiw, apparently different sources of nicotine have different flavor, smell, throat hit etc. You might try sourcing a different brand with less pepperiness or throat hit which may suit you better.

Not sure if such a review exists for american nic sources, but this thread on Canadian nic base availability might be a bit enlightening.

Thanks and I'll check into it but I found that it was one of the reasons that none of the cigalikes or pens did it for me.
I always ended up putting them down and that sourness was one of the biggest reasons for it.
I used to chew back in HS when I wrestled because it was easy to hide.
anyways,accidentally swallowing a couple wads of chew while wrestling and then the inevitable puking made me sensitive to it I guess..
similar to the way I can't stand root beer anymore.
my dad had a gallon of root beer schnapps in the cubby and I polished it off in a weekend by my onsie when I was 15.
if I smell or taste root beer now I immediately want to puke.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
my dad had a gallon of root beer schnapps in the cubby and I polished it off in a weekend by my onsie when I was 15.
if I smell or taste root beer now I immediately want to puke.

Kinda got the same thing with menthol and any mint besides gum. I was at a party in college and, while already pretty far gone, killed a fifth of peppermint schnapps on a bet. I got about $50 out of the bet, but spent the next ten minutes puking my guts out. Can't get near most mints now without getting nauseous.

Bobx

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

+1 on that review. He has done a great job on it. I hope he keeps it up. I have the same nic from CanVape that he reviewed and I was surprised at what he found out.

D

Donald Bickers

my DIY lab
Z3Gg02K.jpg

more lab supplies
DXua78r.jpg

flavor extract cabinet
ZvgHmtB.jpg

hardware
OPWqimF.jpg

more hardware
SCjuI77.jpg