Become a Patron!

Wasn't paying attention and drained batteries lower than usual.

maxmillion1982

Member For 4 Years
Hi there. I wasn't paying attention vaping. I let my batteries drop to 10% on a Smok Procolor mod. It has low battery warning protection but ive never seen it go off. I'm fairly certain it didn't go off. Also i've only ever let my batteries go as low as 40% reading on mod. I've also read that regulated mods will shut down before batteries are actually below a low 3.1V. Also have only charged batteries at 0.5A.

Am i safe to continue using those batteries? There Samsung 30Q. About 2 months old. First time this ever happened.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
What did you find out?

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
A regulated mod has protections that are going to cut it off before you dangerously damage the battery. You may shorten the life of the batteries by doing it frequently but the batteries should be fine in a one off/two off situation. If you check it with a volt meter and it reads something like 1.5 V you might be having a different conversation but by and large mods are designed to keep you from doing this.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
The only time I actually consider a battery "bad" is when they do that thing where they just totally stop working / charging out of nowhere one day.
It's almost like something internally becomes unhooked and the battery will never work again.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Most MOD's shut down and will not fire way before the batteries get damaged. Nothing to be worried about. In my humble opinion contrary to popular falicities Smol's do a wonderful job of charging and protecting against discharging too far. And I know because I have tested it with my own SMOK MOD"S to prove some asshole was wrong with what some reviewer said. Use for a day but I am using for years.

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Interesting topic. When I started out with a couple of smok mods I would rock them both until they were dead before i recharged. One had an internal battery the other dual 18650s'. Now that I've been using the voopoo drag I charge my batteries as soon as it gets down to one "bar" mark as I'm paranoid it doesn't have the same protections as the smok devices.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I fire my MOD's until they don't fire and have not damaged a battery yet. (4 Years) DO NOT LISTEN TO These assholes who think they know everything but DO NOT own the equipment they are talking about~! Just my opinion you must remember but I do not comment on shit I do not have 1st hand experience with,

maxmillion1982

Member For 4 Years
Pretty much what Steve said in his first post. Nothing to worry about with regulated mod. Which is what I figured. I'll still most likely continue charging batteries around 40% mark. Don't have a voltmeter yet. If I get a mech mod though I will be getting one.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
Interesting topic. When I started out with a couple of smok mods I would rock them both until they were dead before i recharged. One had an internal battery the other dual 18650s'. Now that I've been using the voopoo drag I charge my batteries as soon as it gets down to one "bar" mark as I'm paranoid it doesn't have the same protections as the smok devices.
You're fine. I know better safe then sorry, but the drag does have the same protection. If you get to 1/2 or quarter bar, the protection kicks in. I personally charge at around 42% because i hate how much it throttles down. But whatever works for people and in regulated mods not even an issue. Wouldn't try that with a mech mod tho lol

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
As long as you never ever let them get discharged to below 2.0 volts, the batteries aren't going to blow off your face, arms, and legs.

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
And don't use mech's when wasted!
Was at a party the other night and hitting on my Aventador.
Not paying attention, all of a sudden, no vape!
Got home, put batt's in the XTAR and OH WELL! There goes a set of brand new set of VTC5A's
MORAL:
Do not use Mech's when being overserved!

VU Sponsors