Become a Patron!

Watermelon flavor reviews and favored percentages

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am trying to clone Ruthless EZ Duz it which is a Strawberry watermelon flavor. Since I couldn't find out a lot about the different watermelon flavors out there I decided to order from 6 different brands and try them all out my-self.

Here is the list I got:

Capella (Cap) Double Watermelon
FlavourArt (FA) Watermelon
The Flavor Apprentice (TFA) Watermelon
The Flavor Apprentice (TFA W Candy) Watermelon Candy
Inawera Watermelon
Lorann (LA) Watermelon

I started them all off at 3% with no nic in a 60 vg blend in the same style/color bottle and only marked the bottom so I didn't know what I was sampling.

My notes at 3%

Inawera: Tastes like real watermelon and the most natural of the bunch. Not sweat. Maybe 1/2% more but very close.

FA: Good but weak, 1% more.

TFA: Soso and weak, 1% more

TFA W Candy: Soso weak but candy like. 1% more

Cap: Flavorful, not as natural but good. 1% more

LA: Jolly Rancher watermelon, tasty

In the first test Inawera was probably my favorite followed by Cap then LA.

My notes at 4%

I mixed up the bottles so I did not know which was which again.

Inawera: Soso, maybe too strong, has an aftertaste.

TFA W Candy: Natural, OK, not great. needs more

TFA: Natural, good flavor, not sweet. Not strong, needs more

FA: Sweet watermelon, more candy than natural but good. 5% may be better

Cap: Tasty Flavor, almost a little raspberry ish

LA: Jolly Rancher, good.

My favorites at 4% are listed below:

1. Cap
2. FA
3. TFA
4. LA
5. TFA W Candy
6. Inawera (this flavor was ruined for me at 4%, at 3% it was my favorite)

I only mixed TFA, FA and TFA W Candy at 5% since the others seamed to not need anymore.

Mixed up again so I didn't know which was which but only sampled the 3 which were remixed at 5%

My Notes at 5%

TFA W Candy: Good to OK, natural

FA: A little sweet but tasty and natural.

TFA: Very good natural flavor

I then went back and mixed up all the bottles except the Jolly Rancher flavored LA as in all tests it was easy to pick out.

This is not the order I tried them but it is the order in which I ranked them high to low:

My Final Notes

FA: Natural and Tasty, I like this one. Rating: 9 (Final Mix 5%)

Cap: Really flavorful. I think this is Cap. Not the most realistic but good. Rating: 9 (Final Mix 4%)

TFA: Natural, a little sweet. Rating: 8 (Final Mix 5%)

TFA W Candy: OK, good but not great. A little sweet. Rating: 6 (Final Mix 5%) Tested better at 4%

Inawera: Not happy with this one, just tastes off. Rating: 5 (Final Mix 4%) It has to be noted that at 3% this flavor is a lot better

The FlavorArt and Capella are my 2 favorite Watermelon flavors but they are different tasting. The TFA Watermelon is right there with both FA and Cap, just the other 2 edged it out a little. Inawera tasted the most natural at 3% but at 4% it just went wrong. Lorann is great for someone looking for a Jolly Rancher type watermelon and is tasty, around 3 to 4% is a good percentage. The TFA Watermelon Candy doesn't taste much like candy except at 3% but it is weak. At higher percentages it tastes more natural than candy like, I really don't see why I would order this flavor again in the future, LA is more candy like and tastier too.

I don't think there is a big watermelon fan club around here but I thought I would share in case someone was wondering.

Here is my list of recommended stand alone percentages:

Inawera: 3%, any more and the flavor is off

FlavorArt: 4 to 5%

The Flavor Apprentice: 5% is were this really started to shine

Capella Double Watermelon: 3 to 4% a lot of flavor at both percentages didn't feel 5% would add any more.

Lorann: 3 to 4% for a real good Jolly Rancher type watermelon.

TFA Watermelon Candy: 5% or maybe more, too weak at 3% and it seamed to improve with each additional percentage added.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks Huckleberried, I want to try and contribute as I have gained so much knowledge from everyone on here.

I want to say again that Inawera is one of my favorites at 3%, probably the most natural tasting watermelon. It seems to be one of the most concentrated of the bunch and 2% is probably a better starting percentage.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have a few Inawera flavorings. They're very concentrated. The ones I have are quite good. Melon, Wisnia Cherry, Kaktus, Sezam, and the most realistic biting into an orange, rind an all, Wera Garden Orange. Oh boy, that one. Still makes me pucker, lol. Shisha orange is ok, not bad.

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I mix 4% of TFA and 4% of FA. TFA just doesn't have enough flavor in a mix at my 10% PG limit. FA has enough flavor but I thought it was too sweet and not quite right.

I do the same with apple. FA has enough flavor but TFA has the hints I want.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That sounds like a good mix Myk, gonna have to try that out.

I was surprised by the sweetness of FA, I guessed it was Candy at 4% and it is in my notes. I thought Inawera was FA due to the concentration and the natural flavor. I had read HIC's notes so I had that in the back of my mind but I was wrong in my blind guess.

I am also finding that Inawera is similar to FA in that a little goes a long way. I have only used the Watermelon, Biscuit and Caramel by Inawera and have found that 3% or less is plenty. I am going to try and forget what Huck said about the other IN flavors so I can control my buying of more and more flavors ;)

newyork13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the great review. I've never had a watermelon vape [but did have a cantaloupe which I liked alot] and love the taste of watermelon, so I'm going to have to try it.

TheRenegadeBiker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I mixed a 20% watermelon and a 25%watermelon (TFA ) mix at 50/50 in a 30 ml bottle but haven't gotten to try it. It's been sitting in my box since I made it Saturday night haha I'll try it tomorrow and see what I feel!

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I mixed a 20% watermelon and a 25%watermelon (TFA ) mix at 50/50 in a 30 ml bottle but haven't gotten to try it. It's been sitting in my box since I made it Saturday night haha I'll try it tomorrow and see what I feel!

wooooo, that's a lot of flavor, my guess is your going to need a throat lozenge after that. You never know though, let us know how it is.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here is an update:

As you know I am trying to clone Ruthless EZ Duz it, it is tasty stuff. I had ordered Cap Double Watermelon because I saw that someone had both it and Cap Sweet Watermelon and said they taste the same but Double is stronger so you could use less. I was placing an order at Wiz Labs and say that I could pick up Cap Sweet for only $1.49 for 8ml so in the cart it went.

One wiff and I knew I had found the Watermelon that Ruthless uses, of course it wasn't one of the 6 others I already bought but the very last one.....sigh. Anyway since EZ Duz it is 90% VG I just mixed up 4% Sweet Watermelon, 4% Sweet Strawberry and 2% Marshmallow, all Cap and I have a winner. Not sure if the Marshmallow is right, they may use a different ingredient there but the Watermelon and Strawberry are a match.

I just mixed it up last night so going to let it steep some more but the shake and vape sure was tasty. Once I have tweaked it more I will post in the recipe section. I also made one with the same percentage but FA flavors, it is good but harsh after the shake n vape so I will let that mellow.

TheRenegadeBiker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
wooooo, that's a lot of flavor, my guess is your going to need a throat lozenge after that. You never know though, let us know how it is.

Is pretty good at 20! It's not harsh and tastes a bit more like a candy watermelon than a real watermelon but hey I'm not complaining on that! Haha my friend wants to try it so I'll post an update after he tries it :D

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's great, thanks for updating!

I do have to admit, when I first saw your post and commented I thought I read 20 + 25 and my dumb brain saw 45% flavor, I really need to cut down on the after diner drinks o_O :D

TheRenegadeBiker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's great, thanks for updating!

I do have to admit, when I first saw your post and commented I thought I read 20 + 25 and my dumb brain saw 45% flavor, I really need to cut down on the after diner drinks o_O :D

I just made a thread about both the 25% and 20% and how I feel about them and o god no 25% is a bit strong I don't even want to think about 45% I'd probably turn into about watermelon

Thejkaz

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The local shop here in DFW has a great sour watermelon but I didnt want to keep paying the outlandish prices so I went DIY and bought all the stuff I needed to make juice from myfreedomsmokes.com. I had a lot of trouble with the TFA watermelon, the reviews say that the formula has changed recently. All the recipes I found were 15-20% so I started with that and it was horrible. I tried from 5-15% with TFA sour trying to get that flavor and it always tasted like chemicals. I finally figured out a recipe that worked for me, it is not sour watermelon but a very nice candy watermelon. 5% TFA watermelon, 1.6% TFA sweet, 1.6% TFA lemonade. I vape 70/30 VG/PG or higher. I wish I could get the sour to work into it but I really enjoy this flavor and its ready as soon as I shake it up, no waiting needed.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmmmm, a sour watermelon, that sounds like something I might like every now and then. I have TFA sour but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Does it taste like one of those sour watermelon candies?

Thejkaz

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I havent had a lot of luck with getting the sour just right. The recipe above is a great all day vape. You can add the sour but the sour additive can irritate your throat if you vape too much in one day. At least it does for me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Does it sort of taste like a watermelon sweet tart? Maybe they used TFA Sweetangy instead of sour?

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds like a good recipe by the way but I don't have TFA Lemonade, the only lemon I have is Inawera Italian Lemon Sicily. I might try it with that instead and see how it goes.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've struggled with most watermelon flavorings. Too much rind in about 90% of them. I do enjoy the INW Arbuz, but has a strange tasting note to it. My last resort was Totally Wicked GS Watermelon. Mixed in 7 drops per 10 ml of unflavored. Sweet, and the watery note is definitely there. Just enough tang for that authentic natural watermelon taste. :)

VinceV1

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've struggled with most watermelon flavorings. Too much rind in about 90% of them. I do enjoy the INW Arbuz, but has a strange tasting note to it. My last resort was Totally Wicked GS Watermelon. Mixed in 7 drops per 10 ml of unflavored. Sweet, and the watery note is definitely there. Just enough tang for that authentic natural watermelon taste. :)
Arbuz is the regular line, but there is the Wera garden one, from Inawera. I don't know how similar or different they are.

Calebcabob

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Here is an update:

As you know I am trying to clone Ruthless EZ Duz it, it is tasty stuff. I had ordered Cap Double Watermelon because I saw that someone had both it and Cap Sweet Watermelon and said they taste the same but Double is stronger so you could use less. I was placing an order at Wiz Labs and say that I could pick up Cap Sweet for only $1.49 for 8ml so in the cart it went.

One wiff and I knew I had found the Watermelon that Ruthless uses, of course it wasn't one of the 6 others I already bought but the very last one.....sigh. Anyway since EZ Duz it is 90% VG I just mixed up 4% Sweet Watermelon, 4% Sweet Strawberry and 2% Marshmallow, all Cap and I have a winner. Not sure if the Marshmallow is right, they may use a different ingredient there but the Watermelon and Strawberry are a match.

I just mixed it up last night so going to let it steep some more but the shake and vape sure was tasty. Once I have tweaked it more I will post in the recipe section. I also made one with the same percentage but FA flavors, it is good but harsh after the shake n vape so I will let that mellow.
Hey I'm very curious to know how this came out - sounds pretty great! I just started mixing my own and I'm looking into what I could possibly add to my DIY watermelon or DIY cucumber flavor to make something nice. At this point the 2 aren't working well together. I'm about to order some FA watermelon and probably a few more flavors. That's when I saw your post with this recipe.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey I'm very curious to know how this came out - sounds pretty great! I just started mixing my own and I'm looking into what I could possibly add to my DIY watermelon or DIY cucumber flavor to make something nice. At this point the 2 aren't working well together. I'm about to order some FA watermelon and probably a few more flavors. That's when I saw your post with this recipe.

Oh wow, can't believe this was nearly a year ago when I was trying out the watermelon flavors. I would like to say I have it down but my ADHD is so strong a little after this I moved on to all kinds of other flavors :crazy: :D

I should revisit this as I know I was on to something but could not figure out what was the last ingredient, I am thinking a sweetener but not sucralose. I only have an empty bottle of EZ Duz it so can only smell it.....oh wait, I just found a bottle with 10ml still in it, it has nice though and is over a year old so I hope the nic isn't oxidized. EZ Duz it is still really popular around here in S. Cali and for good reason, it is tasty.

If I have success I will let you know, if I fail to respond then that damn ADHD got the best of me again. :gaah:

Calebcabob

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Oh wow, can't believe this was nearly a year ago when I was trying out the watermelon flavors. I would like to say I have it down but my ADHD is so strong a little after this I moved on to all kinds of other flavors :crazy: :D

I should revisit this as I know I was on to something but could not figure out what was the last ingredient, I am thinking a sweetener but not sucralose. I only have an empty bottle of EZ Duz it so can only smell it.....oh wait, I just found a bottle with 10ml still in it, it has nice though and is over a year old so I hope the nic isn't oxidized. EZ Duz it is still really popular around here in S. Cali and for good reason, it is tasty.

If I have success I will let you know, if I fail to respond then that damn ADHD got the best of me again. :gaah:
Haha sounds good man! I'm with ya on the A.D.D thing:p
Currently, I'm just actually counting the days...waiting for a new batch of flavors to come in. NudeNicotine.com is great, but they sure do need to hire some more people! Last time it took over a week for them to even box it up for me. Maybe I'm just impatient.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just dripped the EZ Duz it and it is definitely sweetener in there, I am tasting it big time, tasty but too sweet for me now.

I am going to try a mix tonight and see what develops. After smelling my Cap Sweet Strawberry I think it has lost some flavor, not getting much from the smell. Maybe it is just that I am either using INW Shisha SB or RF Strawberry extract more now and they are stronger. Not really planning on ordering more CAP SW SB anymore, I think that ship has sailed.

Last edited:

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Back from the mixing table and think I came up with something interesting.

Watermelon Sweet (Capella) 5.00%
Strawberry Sweet (Capella) 2.00%
Strawberry Shisha (Inawera) 1.00%
Strawberry Extract (Real Flavors) 1.00%
Ascorbic acid (5%) (Nude Nicotine) 0.25%
Stevia Solutions (7.5%) (Nude Nicotine) 0.75%

This is a 90VG mix, just like EZ Duz It by Ruthless. Trying to rack my brain on how they could get so much flavor from such a high VG mix and remembered I had gotten the Ascorbic acid (5%) from Nude Nicotine when I was hoarding and it is supposed to be a fruit booster. Not sure if it is the same as Citric Acid which if I remember correctly is supposed to do the same thing, boost fruits at low percentages. This is definitely sweet trying a drop on my finger, about as sweet as the real EZ Duz it.

I did drip some to try and it doesn't vape as sweet as the original though and is tasty. Now to let it steep for a bit and see what develops.

timmer

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I know this is an old post but I sure enjoyed it, thanks. I have some watermelon coming and this was a big help.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just made some HiLIQ's Ice Watermelon. 5 drops in a 10 ml. This is excellent. They're using the Cooling Agent instead of menthol. I'm tasting a cool sweet watermelon.

I am trying to clone Ruthless EZ Duz it which is a Strawberry watermelon flavor. Since I couldn't find out a lot about the different watermelon flavors out there I decided to order from 6 different brands and try them all out my-self.

Here is the list I got:

Capella (Cap) Double Watermelon
FlavourArt (FA) Watermelon
The Flavor Apprentice (TFA) Watermelon
The Flavor Apprentice (TFA W Candy) Watermelon Candy
Inawera Watermelon
Lorann (LA) Watermelon

I started them all off at 3% with no nic in a 60 vg blend in the same style/color bottle and only marked the bottom so I didn't know what I was sampling.

My notes at 3%

Inawera: Tastes like real watermelon and the most natural of the bunch. Not sweat. Maybe 1/2% more but very close.

FA: Good but weak, 1% more.

TFA: Soso and weak, 1% more

TFA W Candy: Soso weak but candy like. 1% more

Cap: Flavorful, not as natural but good. 1% more

LA: Jolly Rancher watermelon, tasty

In the first test Inawera was probably my favorite followed by Cap then LA.

My notes at 4%

I mixed up the bottles so I did not know which was which again.

Inawera: Soso, maybe too strong, has an aftertaste.

TFA W Candy: Natural, OK, not great. needs more

TFA: Natural, good flavor, not sweet. Not strong, needs more

FA: Sweet watermelon, more candy than natural but good. 5% may be better

Cap: Tasty Flavor, almost a little raspberry ish

LA: Jolly Rancher, good.

My favorites at 4% are listed below:

1. Cap
2. FA
3. TFA
4. LA
5. TFA W Candy
6. Inawera (this flavor was ruined for me at 4%, at 3% it was my favorite)

I only mixed TFA, FA and TFA W Candy at 5% since the others seamed to not need anymore.

Mixed up again so I didn't know which was which but only sampled the 3 which were remixed at 5%

My Notes at 5%

TFA W Candy: Good to OK, natural

FA: A little sweet but tasty and natural.

TFA: Very good natural flavor

I then went back and mixed up all the bottles except the Jolly Rancher flavored LA as in all tests it was easy to pick out.

This is not the order I tried them but it is the order in which I ranked them high to low:

My Final Notes

FA: Natural and Tasty, I like this one. Rating: 9 (Final Mix 5%)

Cap: Really flavorful. I think this is Cap. Not the most realistic but good. Rating: 9 (Final Mix 4%)

TFA: Natural, a little sweet. Rating: 8 (Final Mix 5%)

TFA W Candy: OK, good but not great. A little sweet. Rating: 6 (Final Mix 5%) Tested better at 4%

Inawera: Not happy with this one, just tastes off. Rating: 5 (Final Mix 4%) It has to be noted that at 3% this flavor is a lot better

The FlavorArt and Capella are my 2 favorite Watermelon flavors but they are different tasting. The TFA Watermelon is right there with both FA and Cap, just the other 2 edged it out a little. Inawera tasted the most natural at 3% but at 4% it just went wrong. Lorann is great for someone looking for a Jolly Rancher type watermelon and is tasty, around 3 to 4% is a good percentage. The TFA Watermelon Candy doesn't taste much like candy except at 3% but it is weak. At higher percentages it tastes more natural than candy like, I really don't see why I would order this flavor again in the future, LA is more candy like and tastier too.

I don't think there is a big watermelon fan club around here but I thought I would share in case someone was wondering.

Here is my list of recommended stand alone percentages:

Inawera: 3%, any more and the flavor is off

FlavorArt: 4 to 5%

The Flavor Apprentice: 5% is were this really started to shine

Capella Double Watermelon: 3 to 4% a lot of flavor at both percentages didn't feel 5% would add any more.

Lorann: 3 to 4% for a real good Jolly Rancher type watermelon.

TFA Watermelon Candy: 5% or maybe more, too weak at 3% and it seamed to improve with each additional percentage added.
==

What additive do you add to get that watermelon taste to the FlavorArt. I just mixed mine at 5% about two weeks ago. I must say that it smells really good but when vaping it, it tastes like nothing.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
==

What additive do you add to get that watermelon taste to the FlavorArt. I just mixed mine at 5% about two weeks ago. I must say that it smells really good but when vaping it, it tastes like nothing.

When I did the initial testing it was all on an RDA for the best flavor possible, I was mainly just looking to find which flavor profile was the best for me. The percentages I listed were for what worked for me in a RDA but in a tank, subtank, RTA that may change as not all atomizers produce the same flavor.

Of all the Watermelons I tried in mixes the only one that works best for my tastes is the CAP Sweet Watermelon. That could be because it is the watermelon I really wanted to replicate from the Ruthless EZ Duz it so that flavor just gets a smile from me. Some of the others are more of a natural watermelon taste but turns out that's not what I was personally looking for. I do still like the Loranns Watermelon when I am looking for that Jolly Rancher type of kick.

I am thinking you need to add sweetener to your mix to get it to pop, I would suggest a Stevia based, not sucralose, the later caramelizes at lower temps to gunk up your coils faster.

I would also try putting a drop of your mix onto your finger and giving it a taste, if it tastes real good then it is your tank that is muting the flavor.

We all have our own flavor profiles we enjoy so my notes are just a guideline, a lot of people use double the % that I use or half and get great results, different strokes for different folks.

Thejkaz

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I run all my mixes at 10% flavoring and they usually taste great. mjag is right about that tank possibly muting the flavor. the type of thank and coil build makes a HUUUGGEE difference when it comes to flavor.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For my tastebuds, TW is the best watermelon flavor I've found, using the ratio @Jimi D mentioned.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For my tastebuds, TW is the best watermelon flavor I've found, using the ratio @Jimi D mentioned.

I could happily go through life using INW Watermelon. I don't mind a little rind.

Heck, when my "out for delivery" TW shows up, I might find a mix of both to be in order...

Ron
---
"Finding Nirvana is like locating silence."- Jack Kerouac

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Missing from the list: Flavorah Watermelon. Best watermelon to use.
Try 12 drops or .24 grams/.24mls in a 30ml ;)

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Missing from the list: Flavorah Watermelon. Best watermelon to use.
Try 12 drops or .24 grams/.24mls in a 30ml ;)
Back in January, following FLV's ...sometimes lame... suggested flavor percentages; I mixed some up @ 3.5%. It was "okay" but seemed weak. I'll give it another ride following your suggested amount.

Thanks!

Ron
---
“The greatest glory in living lies not in never failing, but in rising every time we fail.” – Nelson Mandela

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

At the before mentioned amount, I mixed some up this week. Unlike JimiD, I get just a bit of rind flavor. That's Fine with me! With a good sweetness level and deep fresh watermelon flavor, the TW has moved up to the top of the brands I've tried.

I'm thinking experimenting by combining some TW with INW and FLV might provide a complexity that might be even more enjoyable...

Ron
---
“If you think you can do it, or you think you can’t do it, You are right.” – Henry Ford

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Back in January, following FLV's ...sometimes lame... suggested flavor percentages; I mixed some up @ 3.5%. It was "okay" but seemed weak. I'll give it another ride following your suggested amount.

Thanks!

Ron
---
“The greatest glory in living lies not in never failing, but in rising every time we fail.” – Nelson Mandela

*laughs!! Yeah keep it low!! :)

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Does anybody know if Inawera changed thier watermelon flavor since the OP? I just tried it at 3% and it tastes like soap or perfume.

VU Sponsors