Become a Patron!

Wattage Drop?

I just started vaping yesterday. Before I started I studied and got myself a good basic knowledge of vaping. I got an Epower x2 70w variable watt mod and a Crown sub-ohm tank and I'm using the included .25 Ohm stainless steel dual coil. I noticed that when the battery gets to about 1/3, the mod will drop to 30w when I hit it, even if it's set to 55w where I normally use it. Any reason for this and is there any way to bypass it? It's pretty annoying to be expecting a nice full hit and get about half of what I wanted.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would charge the battery or swap it out for a fresh one that's fully charged if it was me..just sayin

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

Well yeah thats what I'v been doing but I currently only have one battery... Id like to find some sort of solution until my next paycheck when I can get myself a couple batteries and a charger.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I just started vaping yesterday. Before I started I studied and got myself a good basic knowledge of vaping. I got an Epower x2 70w variable watt mod and a Crown sub-ohm tank and I'm using the included .25 Ohm stainless steel dual coil. I noticed that when the battery gets to about 1/3, the mod will drop to 30w when I hit it, even if it's set to 55w where I normally use it. Any reason for this and is there any way to bypass it? It's pretty annoying to be expecting a nice full hit and get about half of what I wanted.
That's a default in the firmware of the mod. Smok M80 Xpro does the same thing. No work around that I know of.

That's a default in the firmware of the mod. Smok M80 Xpro does the same thing. No work around that I know of.
Ah that sucks. Wish I knew that before I got it, could have gotten a different mod. It's alright though, Ill just get a couple batteries.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Moving to regulated...

I think your issue is that once the battery runs out of power and can't deliver the power you're demanding, it steps down. To me this is nice, as my "old school" Sig 100 v1 just tells me that my battery is dead if I'm asking it for too much power and I have to step down power on my own to something it can handle if I don't have a fresh set of batteries on hand...

Im actually noticing something new too, sometimes when I hit my vape it starts at around 7 watts and then jumps to 55 where I set it, is this another part of the firmware? It doesnt do it every time but Im thinking it could be "warming up" or something similar?

Also thanks OBDave for the insight, it could very well be a protection mechanism to save my battery. I hadn't though of that.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The thing tipping me off is that I also spend a lot of time in the mid-50s so far as wattage goes, and some of my older batteries (with around 50-100 charge cycles on them) crap out and refuse to fire at about 30%. If I'm desperate to keep them going (i.e. not quite home yet) I can drop about 20 watts and get another couple dozen pulls. This isn't really recommended, though, as to get the maximum number of charge cycles out of your batteries you should really be pulling them when they drop to around 50% or a little lower...

VU Sponsors