Become a Patron!

Wattage not correlating to recommend Wattage on Coil

Hi guys,

so to get started I'll share my setup:
1 week old Black 80W OSUB Baby Kit
18650 battery
0.4 Ohm BABY Q2 coil (came preinstalled)
Liquid: self made 70/30 3mg Nicotin

Bought this from NY when I was attending a wedding there last week, it was quick purchase because I broke my original one. When I first started using it the guy recommend I keep it on 25W to "break in" the coil, and that I can up it to the recommend Wattage written on the coil (BEST 55 - 65W). A few days later I upped it up to 35W, and that's when the trouble started. All I get when I go above 25W with an average pull of about 7s is spitting and a mouth full of liquid, the mouth piece starts to gather condensation and after a few minutes I'm fed up and stop. Pulled it back down to 25W and even down to 18W, here you can barely feel it. It feels like a dry pull (not to mention very noisy) and after 5s you feel the smoke start to produce and it's fine. I took apart the whole thing, cleaned it thoroughly and even changed the rubber seals with the ones in the kit (preinstalled black ones swapped out for the red ones, they look nicer anyway). I still don't get why I can't get my Wattage up to the recommended without it filling my mouth with liquid, spitting and crackling. Any recommendations? I even tried to fix the coils and push the pre-wrapped coil inwards to create a tighter seal (that solved my slight leakage issue, but not the above one). Am I doing something wrong? Or should I just keep vaping between 18 and 25W although it recommends 55W on the coil.

Thanks in advance!

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
The recommended wattage ranges are average, what is not listed is the wattage per every juice out there, nor the end user's (your) personal tastes and preferences, they are average numbers that is all, some can operate well below the minimum, while others can operate 5, 10, even 20watts over the maximum ratings, it is not a one size fits all silver bullet when it comes to vaping.

1) The coil could be flooding due to lack of enough power to vaporize off the juice it is pulling into itself, liquid thermal dynamics, ever soldered something, notice the liquid solder moves toward the flame/soldering iron tip, same principle applies here, so maybe moving up to the minimum 55watts or close to it might alleviate the spitting issue, and it might not, dancing water on a hot frying pan, add air velocity to that mix and liquid will fly.
2) Spitting can be caused by coil to wicking gaps, this lets liquid bubble and popping, so the wicking may be to loose and causing an issue.
3) Being a few days after purchase, the coil should be broken in enough to start hitting into its rated wattages, you've vaped on it at such a low wattage for so long, the wicking may be to over saturated causing flooding, see #1 above.

Proper breaking in of a coils

1) Fully saturate the exposed wicking and the coil, not overly where there is a pool of juice and it is dripping off the coil, just enough to get things wet
2) Assemble and fill the tank, set aside for a few minutes, thinner liquids (70pg/30vg to 40pg/60vg) let it sit for about 5 to 10minutes, where thicker liquids (20pg/80vg) will need to sit 15 to 20 minutes, set the watts below the minimum rating, 55watts in your instance I'd start at about 35 to 45watts
3) Take several unpowered dry puffs to make sure there is enough vacuum in the tank to pull liquid, then start firing at about 3 to 5 second hits to start
4) After about 20minutes of continuous use, up the watts about 5watts and you can draw a bit longer 5 to 6 second pulls, repeat this step until you get to the flavor and vapor you like and enjoy, this will be the sweet spot for you, the juice you are using, and coil itself, the moment you feel an anemic flavor getting to be dry hit back the watts down about 5 to 10 watts, if you get a dry scorched hit, remove the coil and restart at step 1 you've scorched and burnt the wicking and ruined the coil.

Just upped to 55W, the smoke is awesome, and you directly get it unlike when I'm in the 18-24W range. There's no spitting anymore but that hasn't been an issue since I took the things apart and cleaned it well. But the same issue remains, I automatically get a mouth full of liquid. It's not like I get pure liquid in my mouth, but I can clearly taste and feel liquid in my mouth. It's not like when it's leaking and you're getting a heap of disgusting tasting liquid in your mouth, but it's enough to be annoying. It's on the roof of my mouth and the tip of my tongue.

Just upped to 55W, the smoke is awesome, and you directly get it unlike when I'm in the 18-24W range. There's no spitting anymore but that hasn't been an issue since I took the things apart and cleaned it well. But the same issue remains, I automatically get a mouth full of liquid. It's not like I get pure liquid in my mouth, but I can clearly taste and feel liquid in my mouth. It's not like when it's leaking and you're getting a heap of disgusting tasting liquid in your mouth, but it's enough to be annoying. It's on the roof of my mouth and the tip of my tongue.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No wonder you are having problems if you are getting smoke out of it.

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
What you are getting is spitback. I would take out the coil and start over with a new one since you've had various problems with this first one.

Follow @IMFire3605 guide written above.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
FWIW..... those numbers refer to electrical performance optimization. ..... NOT vapor production optimum..... while the two scales may overlap. ..... they don't always Matchup.....

Even the difference between wide open air and closed air draws. Could put you at opposite ends of a range... then add in variation do to juice and atty design an power application... those numbers may have zero bearing on the vape the coil produce.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors