Become a Patron!

Watts vs TC.. Which do you prefer?

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I notice that on my Aspire Speeder, using a 0.2ohm dual coil RDA, and in TC at 460f that
when I fire it, the power goes up to about 30watts to get to that temp, then drops back
down...
I think I am supposed to lock my resistance, but dont know how to on this...

Anyway, it's interesting that it only takes about 30W to get to my desired temp.

I have my other MOD's in power mode, and they are set to like 50 and 60...
I get a lot more popping and spit-back in power mode.. so I guess 50 or 60W is just too high?

Which do you guys prefer, TC or just adjusting your watts?

mhertz

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
TC definitely... You'll have to play with both initial wattage and temp + perfecting wicking, to get a nice good consistent vape(with a consistent TC mod also of course). TC is loved by many of us over VW for getting nicely smooth consistent drags, which you can also take longer drags with, as not heat up more over time. Byproduct-advantages, is that you'll never have to check your tank for liquid-level, as it simply cuts off, or backs down, when liquid is empty. On RDAs, you'll also get longer between redrips. As said initially, you'll really also need to get ontop of your wicking game to have good TC too.Lastly, don't go by what others use for temp, and play with the values, because every mod is often different(and some more inaccurate than others, though TC is just an approximation by itself), and other factors involved, like atty etc. Ohh, longer between rewicks, is a nice plus too :) Nothing wrong with good old VW either though :)

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
TC definitely... You'll have to play with both initial wattage and temp + perfecting wicking, to get a nice good consistent vape(with a consistent TC mod also of course). TC is loved by many of us over VW for getting nicely smooth consistent drags, which you can also take longer drags with, as not heat up more over time. Byproduct-advantages, is that you'll never have to check your tank for liquid-level, as it simply cuts off, or backs down, when liquid is empty. On RDAs, you'll also get longer between redrips. As said initially, you'll really also need to get ontop of your wicking game to have good TC too.Lastly, don't go by what others use for temp, and play with the values, because every mod is often different(and some more inaccurate than others, though TC is just an approximation by itself), and other factors involved, like atty etc. Ohh, longer between rewicks, is a nice plus too :) Nothing wrong with good old VW either though :)

Yep, everything contributes; wicking, coil, airflow, resistance, power, etc... and every mod is going to be a little different.. so I been
just playing with the temp values, up and down.. i have had to take and re-build my RDA's before because I screwed up the wicking..
very frustrating when that happens...
On my Speeder, I havent been putting a wattage value in TC, I just been letting the MOD do what it wants to get to that temp.
Dont know if that makes any difference or not.

I also want to know how to lock the resistance on my Speeder.. havent figured that out yet.... and the "manual" sucks....

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I love TC and have been using it almost exclusively for over 2 years.
I don't think you need to lock the resistance...some mods don't. Page 2 item 7 in the manual is about TC and doesn't mention locking it. It reads the cold resistance and remembers it. They are very clear to mention that the mod needs to be on and the coil cold. My DNA and Coolfire IV mods don't need it locked.

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
8 mods in rotation and all running dual ss316 claptons in TC mode on a variety of mods. I usually vape between 420 - 470 depending on the mod/tank and preheat watts (if they can be adjusted) will depend on the ohms. I run ohms in the 0.15 - 0.30 range so preheat is usually in the 75 - 100 watt range to help ramp up. I don't have the speeder yet but it is high on my list to get based on the reviews I watched about it's TC mode.

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
8 mods in rotation and all running dual ss316 claptons in TC mode on a variety of mods. I usually vape between 420 - 470 depending on the mod/tank and preheat watts (if they can be adjusted) will depend on the ohms. I run ohms in the 0.15 - 0.30 range so preheat is usually in the 75 - 100 watt range to help ramp up. I don't have the speeder yet but it is high on my list to get based on the reviews I watched about it's TC mode.

Sounds like me.. LOL.. I have 5 mods before me on my desk as I type.. all have a different RDA and juice.. and I get them all mixed up..
so I put the bottle next to the right MOD... LOL.. So, i can rotate flavors to my mood.. :)

PS.. Oh, and right now, using pre-made staggered fused clap's from AVS cuz they had them on sale.
So all my mods have them until I use them all up...

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Really??!! I thought that's why everyone loves TC... what MOD r u using?
Hey it could be the mod...
I'm using a Pico 75 running ArcticFox... on ss wire.... is OK in TCR with set somewhere in the 70s.... but i find myself constantly fiddling with the temp to maintain vape..... in VW with my custom output profile the most I do is a 5 watt adjustment when going from inside at 78f to outside at 100f.

It not that I can't get a good vape in TC. I just get a better vape in VW or on my mech.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You went an got the speeder then?? :)

If it works the same as aspire mods I have it locks resistance automatically.

I use both TC and power mode. Wouldn't say I prefer one over the other! They both have pros an cons much like with anything

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I'm using a Pico 75 running ArcticFox... on ss wire.... is OK in TCR with set somewhere in the 70s.... but i find myself constantly fiddling with the temp to maintain vape..... in VW with my custom output profile the most I do is a 5 watt adjustment when going from inside at 78f to outside at 100f.

It not that I can't get a good vape in TC. I just get a better vape in VW or on my mech.

With my Pico with arctic fox firmware, When the vape starts getting off sometimes I will tweak the temperature but if I reset my cold resistance on ocassion it goes back to my normal temperature setting. Or if I don't want to mess with it I go to power mode with my SS coils.

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee

I use both TC and power mode. Wouldn't say I prefer one over the other! They both have pros an cons much like with anything
I'm curious as to how those mods work on TC, whether they automatically set the cold resistance on power up each time or if they periodically update it after so much time without a draw, or if they lock it once when it senses a new coil. If it locks it once I don't see how the TC will be good for long since cold resistance changes over time and even a few hundredths of an ohm change in cold resistance makes a big temperature change.
The best way for a mod to correct for cold resistance changes might be to measure the ambient air temp and correct any shift in the measured cold resistance of the coil, I don't have a DNA but don't they do a compensation such as that?

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
On the speeder Phsyco it should ask you resistance when you go into TC ....set it when at room temp but don't need to lock it as such ...still yet to figure out how the % works in manual TCR though!? Just set mine to 0.92% for SS316L seems to work ok

I like all modes to be honest spend most of my time now in TC or Custom Power Curves

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Me, I dove into TC pretty deep and to me it's just way too much busy work. For me TC is, meh ... it's OK. I can tell when I need to drip and just pay attention to the juice level in my Tanks so burnt/dry hits aren't an issue with me.

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

You mean u have to keep adjust the temp to get the same amount of vape? I dont know anything about that mod, so I
am clueless... I think all the mods want to say they do good TC so they can stay in the game, but they may not be
so good at it.. I dont care if my mod is off a bit, as long as it's consistent, i know how to correct for any shortcomings..

Never used AF.. I got the app in my pc and looked at it, but never tried it on my mods....

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Yeah, I have had my Speeder a few weeks now and been running it in TC... it does look like the resistance is set automaticly, I cant tell, but
dont see a way to go into the menu and lock it.. so maybe it does????

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I prefer TC but find myself using wattage a majority of the time.

Me too.. I only do TC on my Speeder because everyone says it does it pretty well.. I think the hits are more consistent, but
that could just be my imagination...
I just want to get a good vape.. dont want all the complications... lol

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
On the speeder Phsyco it should ask you resistance when you go into TC ....set it when at room temp but don't need to lock it as such ...still yet to figure out how the % works in manual TCR though!? Just set mine to 0.92% for SS316L seems to work ok

I like all modes to be honest spend most of my time now in TC or Custom Power Curves

Seems like a custom power curve would be the way to go since coil resistance changes so much??!!
But personally, it all sounds like too much work... LOL

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
With my Pico with arctic fox firmware, When the vape starts getting off sometimes I will tweak the temperature but if I reset my cold resistance on ocassion it goes back to my normal temperature setting. Or if I don't want to mess with it I go to power mode with my SS coils.

Have you tried any Ti coils in TC ??

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I love TC and have been using it almost exclusively for over 2 years.
I don't think you need to lock the resistance...some mods don't. Page 2 item 7 in the manual is about TC and doesn't mention locking it. It reads the cold resistance and remembers it. They are very clear to mention that the mod needs to be on and the coil cold. My DNA and Coolfire IV mods don't need it locked.

I see it.. it also says to make sure the screen is lit.. what's up with that???

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm curious as to how those mods work on TC, whether they automatically set the cold resistance on power up each time or if they periodically update it after so much time without a draw, or if they lock it once when it senses a new coil. If it locks it once I don't see how the TC will be good for long since cold resistance changes over time and even a few hundredths of an ohm change in cold resistance makes a big temperature change.
The best way for a mod to correct for cold resistance changes might be to measure the ambient air temp and correct any shift in the measured cold resistance of the coil, I don't have a DNA but don't they do a compensation such as that?
I'm no expert so ill be honest I don't have a clue what your on about lmao

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I have had my Speeder a few weeks now and been running it in TC... it does look like the resistance is set automaticly, I cant tell, but
dont see a way to go into the menu and lock it.. so maybe it does????
I think it does but I don't know much about TC. I mean David is mentioning cold resistance changes an I'm thinking wtf haha

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No, I've only used SS coils which I I'm aware are harder to achieve good temp control then Ti or Ni coils.

I actually dont see very many pre-made Ti coils available online.. or I would have tried some by now..
so yeah, i have also only used ss....

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
When TC first got to be a thing, I was very excited about it... but I found both Ti and SS very disappointing; neither gives as good a flavor, to me, as kanthal. Another problem that I have with it, is that TC mods seem to be optimized for high-power vapers; when you're accustomed to vaping at <10w, a 25-30 watt ramp-up is FUCKING HOT; the airflow on all my attys is TIGHT, so that's about 3 times more power than it can cope with. No, I will not open the airflow, because then I'd be huffing, not vaping, and huffing wouldn't satisfy my urge to smoke. Then, there's the fact that TC vaping makes the vape too "smooth" -- little or no TH at all, and to me, a vape without TH isn't worth vaping at all.

I think my taste in vaping is just stuck in 2014 mode, where it started -- low wattage, tight draw, high-PG, vapor which only approximates the amount exhaled when I smoked -- all of which worked great to get me off cigarettes and continues keeping me that way, so I have no reason at all to change it.

Andria

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When TC first got to be a thing, I was very excited about it... but I found both Ti and SS very disappointing; neither gives as good a flavor, to me, as kanthal. Another problem that I have with it, is that TC mods seem to be optimized for high-power vapers; when you're accustomed to vaping at <10w, a 25-30 watt ramp-up is FUCKING HOT; the airflow on all my attys is TIGHT, so that's about 3 times more power than it can cope with. No, I will not open the airflow, because then I'd be huffing, not vaping, and huffing wouldn't satisfy my urge to smoke. Then, there's the fact that TC vaping makes the vape too "smooth" -- little or no TH at all, and to me, a vape without TH isn't worth vaping at all.

I think my taste in vaping is just stuck in 2014 mode, where it started -- low wattage, tight draw, high-PG, vapor which only approximates the amount exhaled when I smoked -- all of which worked great to get me off cigarettes and continues keeping me that way, so I have no reason at all to change it.

Andria

My vaping friend is the same way.. he wants to mimic the ciggie draw and experience. I was that way too, not really by choice, but
because I started vaping years ago when only ciggalikes existed.. the draw was always tight...MTL type...
Over time, i just got used to vaping at higher power, low resistance, and "wind tunnel" RDA's... LOL

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Like everyone else you just stick to what works & there is nothing wrong with that.
Personally I do a mix of tootle puffing an sub ohming, I vape from 8-70 watts.
I enjoy both! :)
As long as your not smoking then fuck it

Bwaaaahaha.. I agree.. it all get's over technical... as long as I keep getting good vape production and flavor, I am happy.
But I am a tech type nerd, and like to play with shit ... LOL

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Bwaaaahaha.. I agree.. it all get's over technical... as long as I keep getting good vape production and flavor, I am happy.
But I am a tech type nerd, and like to play with shit ... LOL
I'm actually the biggest nerve ever & have a huge love for science. I recently visited my brothers lab & he's testing e cig liquids which is interesting but I've just not really got any interest in TC

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My vaping friend is the same way.. he wants to mimic the ciggie draw and experience. I was that way too, not really by choice, but
because I started vaping years ago when only ciggalikes existed.. the draw was always tight...MTL type...
Over time, i just got used to vaping at higher power, low resistance, and "wind tunnel" RDA's... LOL

Yeah, that's about right -- it's pretty much the smoking experience I want to emulate, other than the nasty taste and smell and the massive drain of budget (and needing to run outdoors every half hour). I started with a cigalike, an eRoll, and it was very effective, it got me to the point of quitting... but the constant charging and refilling was such a pain in the ass, on the actual first day of smoke-free, I started using an iTaste vv3 with a Kanger T3S clearo -- which was so much better! Then when I got into rebuilding and DIY, it got even better... but what I wanted from it hasn't changed all that much: something to use in place of cigarettes that gives me the same satisfactions that smoking gave me... for a lot less money, and with a much nicer taste and smell. I mainly switched over to box mods instead of tubes because boxes are a little harder to knock over -- I still manage it quite often, but not every 10 minutes the way I did with tubes. :giggle:

Andria

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, that's about right -- it's pretty much the smoking experience I want to emulate, other than the nasty taste and smell and the massive drain of budget (and needing to run outdoors every half hour). I started with a cigalike, an eRoll, and it was very effective, it got me to the point of quitting... but the constant charging and refilling was such a pain in the ass, on the actual first day of smoke-free, I started using an iTaste vv3 with a Kanger T3S clearo -- which was so much better! Then when I got into rebuilding and DIY, it got even better... but what I wanted from it hasn't changed all that much: something to use in place of cigarettes that gives me the same satisfactions that smoking gave me... for a lot less money, and with a much nicer taste and smell. I mainly switched over to box mods instead of tubes because boxes are a little harder to knock over -- I still manage it quite often, but not every 10 minutes the way I did with tubes. :giggle:

Andria

My very first experience was with those stupid Green Smoke cigalikes... had those cartridges preloaded with tobacco
flavor juice.. i would get maybe 10 hits, hardly even see any vapor coming out on my exhale... I figured, if they cant
do better then this, fuck it...
Then I switched to an eGo pen style, better, but still a bit of a PITA.. Then I also got an iTaste (which I still have) and
I dont remember my first tank, but I thought the concept of a tank was really great.. and it encouraged me to continue
vaping and trying new shit....

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My very first experience was with those stupid Green Smoke cigalikes... had those cartridges preloaded with tobacco
flavor juice.. i would get maybe 10 hits, hardly even see any vapor coming out on my exhale... I figured, if they cant
Then I switched to an eGo pen style, better, but still a bit of a PITA.. Then I also got an iTaste (which I still have) and
I dont remember my first tank, but I thought the concept of a tank was really great.. and it encouraged me to continue
Well then keep it up! I still cave an have a cigarette, I'll be honest vaping doesn't always get rid of the craving for me.
I've been drinking an smoking today, fuck it everyone deserves a break!!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Yeah I tried a few of the disposable cigalikes, found them somewhere between completely underwhelming and totally gross -- Fin, underwhelming; Njoy, decent TH but weird taste (sorta like eucalyptus, ick), Blu... just disgusting. So I wanted a cigalike, but one I could fill with my own choice of flavor -- and I was fortunate enough to find MyFreedomSmokes' Virginia early on, which closely simulated the taste of Virginia Slims. But along with the constant recharge-refill crap, I also disliked how the satisfaction dropped with each puff, and determined that VW was the way for me to go, to always have the same quality of vape, hence going straight from the eRoll to the vv3; skipped right over the entire generation of plain Egos. :D

I really wanted to like TC, tried it 2 separate times, first Ti and then SS, and I just didn't care for either variety; don't even like SS for VW, it doesn't provide the same flavor as kanthal, which is what I started with and am completely accustomed to -- with SS, I either taste metal or cotton, but not much of the ejuice. :D

Andria

mhertz

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I prefer PWM or VV. Tc is pointless and too much effort. VW??? like you can really tell the difference vaping 49.2 watts vs 49.3 or 48 or 50.1
VW is more about not needing to do any ohms law calculations for quickly adjusting/determining output power. An ohms law calculator frontend interface to VV/regulated mode so to speak...

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh, and when subohm attys got popular, I was so used to using the higher resistance ones, I was afraid to try it.
The lowest I had ever gone was 1.5ohms, and the airflow was always very tight..
And at the time, I had only advanced to a Eleaf iStick 50W little mod (which I still have 2 of... VERY reliable), I
didnt know if I could use 50W with a subohm atty or if I would blow my face off... LOL

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah I tried a few of the disposable cigalikes, found them somewhere between completely underwhelming and totally gross -- Fin, underwhelming; Njoy, decent TH but weird taste (sorta like eucalyptus, ick), Blu... just disgusting. So I wanted a cigalike, but one I could fill with my own choice of flavor -- and I was fortunate enough to find MyFreedomSmokes' Virginia early on, which closely simulated the taste of Virginia Slims. But along with the constant recharge-refill crap, I also disliked how the satisfaction dropped with each puff, and determined that VW was the way for me to go, to always have the same quality of vape, hence going straight from the eRoll to the vv3; skipped right over the entire generation of plain Egos. :D

I really wanted to like TC, tried it 2 separate times, first Ti and then SS, and I just didn't care for either variety; don't even like SS for VW, it doesn't provide the same flavor as kanthal, which is what I started with and am completely accustomed to -- with SS, I either taste metal or cotton, but not much of the ejuice. :D

Andria

When I was vaping only tobacco flavors, they tasted better using kanthol and higher resistance coil. But I was reluctant to try
any of the other, like fruit and dessert flavors because I had tried some watermelon and strawberry flavors years ago and they
were so bad I threw them out, and stuck with the tobacco...
Now, I never vape tobacco flavor, so thats how much they have improved in only a few years....

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just do what keeps you off smokes. It doesn't matter if you vape at 8 watts or 300 watts. Although I have to say who the fuck can vape 200+ watts?? I'd die XD

I know it... I saw a reviewer on Youtube vaping at 150W, and he was like chain vaping huge clouds... how can anyone do that???
I have gone up to 90W, but only with my 30mm Mason with BIG ass coils...... talk about a smoke machine, fills the whole 1st floor
of my house with fog.... all I need would be the disco lights :)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
When I was vaping only tobacco flavors, they tasted better using kanthol and higher resistance coil. But I was reluctant to try
any of the other, like fruit and dessert flavors because I had tried some watermelon and strawberry flavors years ago and they
were so bad I threw them out, and stuck with the tobacco...
Now, I never vape tobacco flavor, so thats how much they have improved in only a few years....

When I first started, and for some months, I thought the whole idea of "smoking food" was absolutely beyond strange. But after a short relapse to dual-use, when I was trying to get back my taste for vaping, I tried some fruit flavors, really liked pineapple with a touch of koolada, sorta like pineapple sherbet... and then I tried a blueberry muffin flavor, and that pretty much sealed the deal for me, couldn't stand tobacco vapes anymore. :D

But of the various ejuices I've bought, only a very few were actually worth what I paid for them -- I came to discover that my tastebuds were a lot more radically dysfunctional than most other vapers', since I really couldn't *taste* most bought ejuices. Over at ECF, I discovered, in the TFA thread, this idea called "High flavor mixing" -- using 20%-30% flavoring, so as to be able to actually taste what one mixes, right after mixing -- and it changed everything for me. I created my own recipe for strawberry & cream, at first using about 31% flavoring... and I could actually *taste* it, not just smell it -- and though I've gradually lowered the flavoring to its current just-under 25%, it's been my ADV since Dec 2014, it's that good. :D I tried Cuttwood's Unicorn Milk at one point, when USPS hadn't brought my flavors before I ran out, and the only thing I could think about it was "where's the strawberry???" It's completely without taste, compared to my strawberry & cream.

Andria

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know it... I saw a reviewer on Youtube vaping at 150W, and he was like chain vaping huge clouds... how can anyone do that???
I have gone up to 90W, but only with my 30mm Mason with BIG ass coils...... talk about a smoke machine, fills the whole 1st floor
of my house with fog.... all I need would be the disco lights :)
They don't even inhale either, they just blow it straight out to make the clouds look bigger!!

VU Sponsors