Become a Patron!

Watts vs TC.. Which do you prefer?

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I first started, and for some months, I thought the whole idea of "smoking food" was absolutely beyond strange. But after a short relapse to dual-use, when I was trying to get back my taste for vaping, I tried some fruit flavors, really liked pineapple with a touch of koolada, sorta like pineapple sherbet... and then I tried a blueberry muffin flavor, and that pretty much sealed the deal for me, couldn't stand tobacco vapes anymore. :D

But of the various ejuices I've bought, only a very few were actually worth what I paid for them -- I came to discover that my tastebuds were a lot more radically dysfunctional than most other vapers', since I really couldn't *taste* most bought ejuices. Over at ECF, I discovered, in the TFA thread, this idea called "High flavor mixing" -- using 20%-30% flavoring, so as to be able to actually taste what one mixes, right after mixing -- and it changed everything for me. I created my own recipe for strawberry & cream, at first using about 31% flavoring... and I could actually *taste* it, not just smell it -- and though I've gradually lowered the flavoring to its current just-under 25%, it's been my ADV since Dec 2014, it's that good. :D I tried Cuttwood's Unicorn Milk at one point, when USPS hadn't brought my flavors before I ran out, and the only thing I could think about it was "where's the strawberry???" It's completely without taste, compared to my strawberry & cream.

Andria
Strawberry & cream is a damn good flavour to be honest! Except I vape high VG cos for some reason PG just doesn't agree with me. Think I could be allergic cos get headaches an feel sick

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When I first started, and for some months, I thought the whole idea of "smoking food" was absolutely beyond strange. But after a short relapse to dual-use, when I was trying to get back my taste for vaping, I tried some fruit flavors, really liked pineapple with a touch of koolada, sorta like pineapple sherbet... and then I tried a blueberry muffin flavor, and that pretty much sealed the deal for me, couldn't stand tobacco vapes anymore. :D

But of the various ejuices I've bought, only a very few were actually worth what I paid for them -- I came to discover that my tastebuds were a lot more radically dysfunctional than most other vapers', since I really couldn't *taste* most bought ejuices. Over at ECF, I discovered, in the TFA thread, this idea called "High flavor mixing" -- using 20%-30% flavoring, so as to be able to actually taste what one mixes, right after mixing -- and it changed everything for me. I created my own recipe for strawberry & cream, at first using about 31% flavoring... and I could actually *taste* it, not just smell it -- and though I've gradually lowered the flavoring to its current just-under 25%, it's been my ADV since Dec 2014, it's that good. :D I tried Cuttwood's Unicorn Milk at one point, when USPS hadn't brought my flavors before I ran out, and the only thing I could think about it was "where's the strawberry???" It's completely without taste, compared to my strawberry & cream.

Andria

Yeah, the idea of vaping food seems a bit strange, and some of the flavors i have liked were things that i would never buy to
eat, but they vape well.... LOL
Also, I try really hard to choose high quality juices. I know that reviews are totally worthless for something that is so subjective.
So still, I would estimate about 40% of the juice I buy (that all have rave reviews), are terrible to me, and I cant vape them...
Some I can dilute with plain VG, others are worthless...
I dont think they are mixing the flavors very well.... And I got some free samples of Cuttwood stuff and cant tell the difference
between some of them.. they have little taste, but they have a pleasant vape and dont do anything irratating...
I wish I knew how to mix my own... how did you learn it?

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, the idea of vaping food seems a bit strange, and some of the flavors i have liked were things that i would never buy to
Also, I try really hard to choose high quality juices. I know that reviews are totally worthless for something that is so subjective.
So still, I would estimate about 40% of the juice I buy (that all have rave reviews), are terrible to me, and I cant vape them...
I dont think they are mixing the flavors very well.... And I got some free samples of Cuttwood stuff and cant tell the difference
between some of them.. they have little taste, but they have a pleasant vape and dont do anything irratating...
Mixing really isn't hard. I measure out my PG, VG & flavourings with syringes from my pharmacy. There are calculators online to input the VG, PG and flavours.
I use vanilla custard, all you need then is the VG & I use a very little amount of PG.
It's so easy but lately I've just been using dinner lady lemon tart, that's the nicest flavour I've ever tried!

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well then keep it up! I still cave an have a cigarette, I'll be honest vaping doesn't always get rid of the craving for me.
I've been drinking an smoking today, fuck it everyone deserves a break!!

Well then I will also be honest, I still do smoke ciggies, maybe 3 or 4 a day... If I didnt have my vape though, it would be
over a pack a day ($$$$$)...
And I drink, mostly wine, a few mixed drinks maybe, a few beers.. I never get drunk.. mostly because I know I will
feel like shit the next day and wont be able to do much...
So, moderation... i think, dont need to deney yourself of the things you love, just dont overdo it.. life is short, and you
dont get a second go-round.....

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Temperature control gives a nice smooth consistent draw when everything's set right but can be a bit finicky after a while if the cold resistance changes until you reset it. I only vape 11W MTL power mode, for TC typically 380 to 420F with a 13W limit and have preheat at 13W for 0.3 seconds, just enough to speed up the temperature rise of the coil a bit (seems a decent setting for 28 awg SS 0.6 ohm coil). Vaping on power control at 11W gives me a similar vape to the above TC settings except the vapor gets just a little warmer at the end.

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Mixing really isn't hard. I measure out my PG, VG & flavourings with syringes from my pharmacy. There are calculators online to input the VG, PG and flavours.
I use vanilla custard, all you need then is the VG & I use a very little amount of PG.
It's so easy but lately I've just been using dinner lady lemon tart, that's the nicest flavour I've ever tried!

Havent tried Dinner Lady yet.. but was scoping the lemon tart... that one is going on my list to buy then... :)

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well then I will also be honest, I still do smoke ciggies, maybe 3 or 4 a day... If I didnt have my vape though, it would be
over a pack a day ($$$$$)...
And I drink, mostly wine, a few mixed drinks maybe, a few beers.. I never get drunk.. mostly because I know I will
feel like shit the next day and wont be able to do much...
So, moderation... i think, dont need to deney yourself of the things you love, just dont overdo it.. life is short, and you
dont get a second go-round.....
I have high tolerance so alot to you is probably not alot to me haha
Havent tried Dinner Lady yet.. but was scoping the lemon tart... that one is going on my list to buy then... :)
And I'd definitely recommend it. It's the only liquid I vape now :)

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Temperature control gives a nice smooth consistent draw when everything's set right but can be a bit finicky after a while if the cold resistance changes until you reset it. I only vape 11W MTL power mode, for TC typically 380 to 420F with a 13W limit and have preheat at 13W for 0.3 seconds, just enough to speed up the temperature rise of the coil a bit (seems a decent setting for 28 awg SS 0.6 ohm coil). Vaping on power control at 11W gives me a similar vape to the above TC settings except the vapor gets just a little warmer at the end.
I was never a fan of TC

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I can vape with a Nautilus Mini at under 10 watts one minute and switch to a Sub Ohm TC tank at 100 watts the next but still inhale as deep as I have always done. Like when I started smoking the killer sticks if you didn't inhale why even smoke?

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can vape with a Nautilus Mini at under 10 watts one minute and switch to a Sub Ohm TC tank at 100 watts the next but still inhale as deep as I have always done. Like when I started smoking the killer sticks if you didn't inhale why even smoke?
And that's why reviewers piss me off cos they just blow the vapor out to make bigger clouds. Not one of the fuckers inhales. I do 7 second puffs an they do what 1 second. As you if you don't inhale why bother

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As you said if you don't inhale don't bother* edit- I'm very drunk & can't string sentences together lmao

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
As you if you don't inhale why bother

And the ones who vape at 150-200 Watts take like a 2 second draw if they are lucky! When I am using my Nautilus Mini at 9.5 Watts there are times it stops putting power out because I went over the 10 second limit..........

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And the ones who vape at 150-200 Watts take like a 2 second draw if they are lucky! When I am using my Nautilus Mini at 9.5 Watts there are times it stops putting power out because I went over the 10 second limit..........
Exactly I don't find it enjoyable unless it's long an drawn out either!

mhertz

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
And that's why reviewers piss me off cos they just blow the vapor out to make bigger clouds. Not one of the fuckers inhales. I do 7 second puffs an they do what 1 second. As you if you don't inhale why bother
They do infact inhale, as "lung-hitting"/DL(which most reviewers does which i've seen) is directly inhaling without the middlestep used in MTL. When taking the driptip/mouth-piece/chuff-cap out of your mouth during a direct-lung inhale, you have a little un-inhaled vapor in your mouth though, which many just blow out together with the inhaled vapor, though I inhale that too first also, before exhaling.

Last edited:

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Mainly from hanging out in DIY threads. :D And just applying my knowledge of cooking, how different flavors blend together. With ejuice, one thing to always keep in mind is that a) artificial flavors are better; mother nature doesn't have an FDA, so you get the bad stuff with the good; flavors created from molecules in a lab (the same molecules as those in natural flavors) purposely leave out anything harmful... they also usually vape cleaner; b) you need creams and vanilla and usually a little sweetener, maybe something like tart & sweet, or sour, for most ejuice to taste really good -- when you eat, say, an apple, or a grape -- yes, it tastes like the fruit, but that means sweet, tart, maybe creamy, maybe some other sort of flavor -- if you want to recreate that flavor, you need to add every part of it; you can't expect to just throw a little of one fruit flavor into some VG and expect it to be great, it'll be bland at the very best. Also, different fruits have different "strengths" -- blueberry is a much weaker flavor than strawberry or most other fruits -- so you have to take that into account.

You also have to try different brands of the different flavors you like, because they're all different. Yes, that can mean some wasted money... but thankfully, they don't cost NEARLY as much as finished ejuice. :) Once you get really sick of throwing good money at unvapeable ejuice, you'll make the investment of both time and money to make your own, because it's really the only way to always vape GREAT ejuice. You can also customize the sweetness, the PG/VG ratio, and whatever nic level suits your fancy -- for a very small fraction of what finished ejuice costs, and a great deal more satisfaction.

Andria

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
One of my top pieces of advice when starting DIY: find clone recipes for the one or two commercial juices you know you like, buy the EXACT ingredients, follow the recipe EXCACTLY and you will likely have success :)

mhertz

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
[...].. how did you learn it?
Easiest for newcomers is probably to watch a youtube guide, e.g. by VU member sirrichardrear(Anthony Vapes):

And/or:

Then, just find some recipes that sound good to you, and buy the flavors needed for them, and experiment/tweak/invent from there :)

Cheap, flexible and a new nice hobby to boot ;)

Last edited:

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ish I knew how to mix my own... how did you learn it?
I was scared of it at first then I watched a video or two and was like wtf, how simple is that!!!

One of my top pieces of advice when starting DIY: find clone recipes for the one or two commercial juices you know you like, buy the EXACT ingredients, follow the recipe EXCACTLY and you will likely have success :)
THIS. I made the mistake of not doing this my first order, sorta. I did order flavors for a couple recipes but I also bought all sorts of random flavors... Then months later I did it to an even greater extent with real flavors super concentrates buying anything that sounded good. In
my defense with RF there weren't (still aren't) a lot of recipes out there for them since they are so new (also many of the ones I bought are basically one shots i.e. french toast, cookies and cream, pumpkin pie, etc) but I am quickly learning how to adapt recipes I have made in the past with similar flavors from other companies to RF using lower percents.

Easiest for newcomers is probably to watch a youtube guide

I think the first DIY video I watched was from zesty vapes and it was pretty lol but I figured if he can do it anyone can.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Using other people's recipes never has worked well for me. Primarily because I want to exclude any flavors which are *known* to contain any kind of diketones... and also because I need 2 or 3 times as much flavor as most do. When I created my strawberry & cream recipe, I just looked at hundreds of recipes for it, kept in mind what I learned over ECF's TFA thread (50% base flavor, 50% supporting flavors), and went from there, also keeping in mind the other pearl from that thread, 20%-30% flavoring so it can actually be tasted when first mixed -- it's impossible to know if something you mixed is any good if you have to wait 2-3 fucking weeks just to taste it. 2-3 wks later, I've totally forgotten about it, or just don't care anymore.

Andria

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They do infact inhale, as "lung-hitting"/DL(which most reviewers does which i've seen) is directly inhaling without the middlestep used in MTL. When taking the driptip/mouth-piece/chuff-cap out of your mouth during a direct-lung inhale, you have a little un-inhaled vapor in your mouth though, which many just blow out together with the inhaled vapor, though I inhale that too first also, before exhaling.
I don't get how they can find it enjoyable, seems a waste to me. You never smoked cigarettes like that so why vape like that?

mhertz

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I understand your point of view :) I vaped MTL for a long time initially also, and the reason I switched to DL, where watching alot of youtube vids, of building or rewievs and such, and thinking I was doing it wrong, lol :) In the beginning, I didn't like DL, as so far from the cigarette style, but quickly you get used to it, and now when I for fun try to MTL again, it's not as enjoyable to me at all - I have switched the TH out with the feeling of a big lungfill of vapor to inhale, which gives a nice preassure feeling in the lungs... Anyway, to each there own of course.

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Easiest for newcomers is probably to watch a youtube guide, e.g. by VU member sirrichardrear(Anthony Vapes):

And/or:

Then, just find some recipes that sound good to you, and buy the flavors needed for them, and experiment/tweak/invent from there :)

Cheap, flexible and a new nice hobby to boot ;)

Thanks 4 posting these.. I was hoping someone would put up a link or 2, cuz I'm too lazy to Google it... :)

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I understand your point of view :) I vaped MTL for a long time initially also, and the reason I switched to DL, where watching alot of youtube vids, of building or rewievs and such, and thinking I was doing it wrong, lol :) In the beginning, I didn't like DL, as so far from the cigarette style, but quickly you get used to it, and now when I for fun try to MTL again, it's not as enjoyable to me at all - I have switched the TH out with the feeling of a big lungfill of vapor to inhale, which gives a nice preassure feeling in the lungs... Anyway, to each there own of course.

Well, in the old days, MTL was all I could do because of the airflow the tanks and devises had then.
Now, we have tanks with tons of airflow, low resistance coils, and "wind tunnel" RDA's... So DL with these is so much more
natural... I do it without even realizing.. I take a hit, and feels like I got no vapor, then I blow out a
giant cloud.... lol

mhertz

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I once for fun tried to check the airflow/draw of my older stuff I began DL'ing with, after some time of MTL'ing, and the difference to now is crazy lol :) It was a kayfun lite plus, which was what I learned to build on, and before that, I also DL'ed on a kanger protank 1 and aspire nautilus and such :) Great devices for there time though...

Last edited:

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Actually my daily is a cleito, I don't MTL daily but I do inhale an do long drawn out puffs. I've seen some reviewers just blow the vapor straight out and they only do it to blow big clouds!

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I once for fun tried to check the airflow/draw of my older stuff I began DL'ing with, after some time of MTL'ing, and the difference to now is crazy lol :) It was a kayfun lite plus, which was what I learned to build on, and before that, I also DL'ed on a kanger protank 1 and aspire nautilus and such :) Great devices for there time though...
I use my Kayfun or nautilus when I'm drinking an need high nicotine as when I drink I really crave cigarettes

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You mean u have to keep adjust the temp to get the same amount of vape? I dont know anything about that mod, so I
am clueless... I think all the mods want to say they do good TC so they can stay in the game, but they may not be
so good at it.. I dont care if my mod is off a bit, as long as it's consistent, i know how to correct for any shortcomings..

Never used AF.. I got the app in my pc and looked at it, but never tried it on my mods....
What I mean is when I go outside where its HOT... The warm vapor feel I got sitting on the couch. ... isn't quite as warm or satisfying without increasing the Heat/wattage a bit..... sometimes I find its just too hot outside for TC to give a good vape feel..... I have to adjust when using VW.... just not as much.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Using other people's recipes never has worked well for me. Primarily because I want to exclude any flavors which are *known* to contain any kind of diketones... and also because I need 2 or 3 times as much flavor as most do. When I created my strawberry & cream recipe, I just looked at hundreds of recipes for it, kept in mind what I learned over ECF's TFA thread (50% base flavor, 50% supporting flavors), and went from there, also keeping in mind the other pearl from that thread, 20%-30% flavoring so it can actually be tasted when first mixed -- it's impossible to know if something you mixed is any good if you have to wait 2-3 fucking weeks just to taste it. 2-3 wks later, I've totally forgotten about it, or just don't care anymore.

Andria

Just spent the last few hours watching DIY vid's on Youtube.. having spent 30+ years working in a chem lab, this kind
of shit comes second nature to me.. and I am amazed at how simple 95% of market juices, with all their catchy advertising,
is really very simple and only requires a few flavors.. And that makes marketing sense.. I mean, why do complex recepies
when the simple shit (with tons of sweetner) works fine??? LOL
I love the DIY or DIE guy on Youtube.. he really seems to know his shit, and has a real passion for it....
His website is loaded with great info too....

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just spent the last few hours watching DIY vid's on Youtube.. having spent 30+ years working in a chem lab, this kind
of shit comes second nature to me.. and I am amazed at how simple 95% of market juices, with all their catchy advertising,
is really very simple and only requires a few flavors.. And that makes marketing sense.. I mean, why do complex recepies
when the simple shit (with tons of sweetner) works fine??? LOL
I love the DIY or DIE guy on Youtube.. he really seems to know his shit, and has a real passion for it....
His website is loaded with great info too....
It can actually become a fun hobby as well, especially considering your lab background. I had a lot of fun early on in DIY with the testing aspect but at this point I usually skip small size testers and just go for it with a 100ml recipes and hope for the best. I learned what I like and what works well together for me and can usually vape something that isn't as great as I hoped, or just dump it into my 1 liter 'kitchen sink' bottle of random partial recipes I got tired of vaping on in the past.

The best part for me after the initial cost to get started was the savings over store bought juice. My 100ml bottles using 3mg/ml of nic and 3.5% flavoring (real flavors super concentrates) cost me under $2/100ml vs the 30 - 40 dollars per 120ml I used to spend for store bought juice 3 or 4 times a month.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can vape TC and watts equally with the same amount of enjoyment. I prefer TC on some tanks though as I want that initial quick ramp up but don't want the vape to progressively get hotter with my 5+ second draws.

For MTL or low wattage vapers I don't really see much advantage for TC, if I am vaping below 40 watts it is usually in power mode.

For those who take short draws, like say 2 seconds, TC can be also useless. A friend of mine vapes like that and never saw the need for him to use TC.

You can get a similar effect to TC with wattage curves. The problem there is if you use a lot of different tanks, who wants to adjust the wattage curves each time you change tanks?

Really TC is only as good as the device your using and most devices provide horrible and inconsistent TC. Smok is one of the worst for TC and since they also sell the most TC will never take off for the masses.

When setup correctly TC is a great vape. The problem most of the time is getting it to that point either because the mod doesn't do it right or it doesn't benefit users vape style. Either way in the long run it doesn't matter, just as longs as it keeps you off the stinkies it's all good.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It can actually become a fun hobby as well, especially considering your lab background. I had a lot of fun early on in DIY with the testing aspect but at this point I usually skip small size testers and just go for it with a 100ml recipes and hope for the best. I learned what I like and what works well together for me and can usually vape something that isn't as great as I hoped, or just dump it into my 1 liter 'kitchen sink' bottle of random partial recipes I got tired of vaping on in the past.

The best part for me after the initial cost to get started was the savings over store bought juice. My 100ml bottles using 3mg/ml of nic and 3.5% flavoring (real flavors super concentrates) cost me under $2/100ml vs the 30 - 40 dollars per 120ml I used to spend for store bought juice 3 or 4 times a month.

Yeah, I hear ya on the price.... I think I will start out by getting all the stuff needed for a particular recipe I like, and work my
way from there, rather then trying to figure out what all flavors I want to order for my first time.
I think that way, I will accumulate several different flavors by trying more recipes... :)
I really want to get key lime pie right.. and making 100ml batch is easier to calculate :)

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I hear ya on the price.... I think I will start out by getting all the stuff needed for a particular recipe I like, and work my
way from there, rather then trying to figure out what all flavors I want to order for my first time.
I think that way, I will accumulate several different flavors by trying more recipes... :)
I really want to get key lime pie right.. and making 100ml batch is easier to calculate :)
It shouldn't be hard to find a well reviewed version of that on ELR - http://e-liquid-recipes.com/list?q=key+lime+pie&exclsingle=0&adaptedfrom=&sort=score&direction=desc

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

So is a 10ml batch, and when first mixing, or when mixing a new recipe, that's really the absolute most I'd recommend mixing -- it cuts down on waste. :D I usually only mix 6ml, when I try something new -- 5ml is really optimum, but sticking to even numbers tends to keep it in the hundredths of ml's, rather than going into the thousandths of ml's, and having to round it -- rounding isn't a good idea with that small a quantity; it needs to be as exact as you can make it.

Andria

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I can vape TC and watts equally with the same amount of enjoyment. I prefer TC on some tanks though as I want that initial quick ramp up but don't want the vape to progressively get hotter with my 5+ second draws.

For MTL or low wattage vapers I don't really see much advantage for TC, if I am vaping below 40 watts it is usually in power mode.

For those who take short draws, like say 2 seconds, TC can be also useless. A friend of mine vapes like that and never saw the need for him to use TC.

You can get a similar effect to TC with wattage curves. The problem there is if you use a lot of different tanks, who wants to adjust the wattage curves each time you change tanks?

Really TC is only as good as the device your using and most devices provide horrible and inconsistent TC. Smok is one of the worst for TC and since they also sell the most TC will never take off for the masses.

When setup correctly TC is a great vape. The problem most of the time is getting it to that point either because the mod doesn't do it right or it doesn't benefit users vape style. Either way in the long run it doesn't matter, just as longs as it keeps you off the stinkies it's all good.

Yeah, according to Daniel's (DJLsb.. did i get that right?) test curves, and I watch all his vid's, most MOD's really dont do TC very well
as they claim.. so I think, better off just using VW....
However, I am noticing some advantages using TC on my Aspire Speeder.. the hits are a lot more consistent, even when I am
low on battery or coil is going dry.. it still tries to give me the same hit... but no juice = no vape... lol
I think my hits are like, 4 seconds.. and notice the watts only go up to 30something peak at my temp of 460f...
So I guess that means, I have been over-powering my vaping with VW, cuz I have been using 60 to 70 watts???
Also, it depends on the juice I am vaping.. fruit flavors come through better at lower power than dessert types. So I am
always re-adjusting my watts to fit the juice i am vaping..
Dont know how i could do that with a power curve that only has 2 memory slots... lol

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So is a 10ml batch, and when first mixing, or when mixing a new recipe, that's really the absolute most I'd recommend mixing -- it cuts down on waste. :D I usually only mix 6ml, when I try something new -- 5ml is really optimum, but sticking to even numbers tends to keep it in the hundredths of ml's, rather than going into the thousandths of ml's, and having to round it -- rounding isn't a good idea with that small a quantity; it needs to be as exact as you can make it.

Andria

Ok, but it's better accuracy when using larger amounts, but i like your idea of a noobie like me starting with only 10ml since
i dont know what to expect from these flavor brands..
There are so many different ones that make the same flavor, like strawberry (example), one company it will be like a candy
flavor, and another, it will be more like fresh fruit.. or at least, thats what i have been told...
So if i only buy exactly what i need to make a particular recipe, i can tweek it, as i would do any cooking recipe..
To me, a recipe is just a starting point, but u need to know what to expect from each ingredient... i dont know that in this case.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have found that making small bottles for DIY Recipes just isn't enough to use for testing. When new to DIY most will not leave it long enough to properly age and infuse for one thing. Having a larger sample size allows for testing and then leaving them to age a bit. I started making 15ML testers which quickly became 30ML bottles.

mhertz

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, if you're happy with 30w max in TC, at whatever estimated temp, then that all that matters. though sound a little strange if you're used to 60-70W.

You mentioned you didn't adjust wattage in TC, previously. on the speeder.. I just rechecked the pbusardo review, and it's hold up and down together, adjust wattage and hold both again to set :)

Btw, if you like fruit flavors(and some others too), then I highly recommend inawera flavorings ;) Authentic tasting and very potent flavors which you only need very little off often and even works standalone often too .. My favorite flavoring company for sure...

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ok, but it's better accuracy when using larger amounts, but i like your idea of a noobie like me starting with only 10ml since
i dont know what to expect from these flavor brands..
There are so many different ones that make the same flavor, like strawberry (example), one company it will be like a candy
flavor, and another, it will be more like fresh fruit.. or at least, thats what i have been told...
So if i only buy exactly what i need to make a particular recipe, i can tweek it, as i would do any cooking recipe..
To me, a recipe is just a starting point, but u need to know what to expect from each ingredient... i dont know that in this case.

Exactly... and the rounding thing... for my strawberry & cream, I always mix 56ml -- which gives me some room to shake it, in a 60ml bottle. I'm still working on a very slow and gradual reduction of flavoring, so the amounts do change from time to time; with that large an amount, then rounding up or down from the thousandths or even hundredths place isn't a huge deal at all... but if I'm making 15ml or less, I try to get it as exact to the hundredths of a ml place as I can possibly get --1ml syringes have markings for hundredths, which are a bit difficult to read sometimes, but exactitude pays off with small quantities.

Andria

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, if you're happy with 30w max in TC, at whatever estimated temp, then that all that matters. though sound a little strange if you're used to 60-70W.

You mentioned you didn't adjust wattage in TC, previously. on the speeder.. I just rechecked the pbusardo review, and it's hold up and down together, adjust wattage and hold both again to set :)

Btw, if you like fruit flavors(and some others too), then I highly recommend inawera flavorings ;) Authentic tasting and very potent flavors which you only need very little off often and even works standalone often too .. My favorite flavoring company for sure...

Agree on INW, they make some excellent fruit flavors

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Exactly... and the rounding thing... for my strawberry & cream, I always mix 56ml -- which gives me some room to shake it, in a 60ml bottle. I'm still working on a very slow and gradual reduction of flavoring, so the amounts do change from time to time; with that large an amount, then rounding up or down from the thousandths or even hundredths place isn't a huge deal at all... but if I'm making 15ml or less, I try to get it as exact to the hundredths of a ml place as I can possibly get --1ml syringes have markings for hundredths, which are a bit difficult to read sometimes, but exactitude pays off with small quantities.

Andria

Since I work in a lab, I get to take shit home that they dont want.. so I have 2 nice Mettler balances that are accurate down to
1 microgram.. even have glassware like grad cylinders, beakers, funnels, etc... so i have no prob's with small weights and
volumes..
I have read that there are only a few really good companies that make flavors, i think Flavor Art was one of them...
I havent checked out the prices yet.. i already have a quart bottle of VG, so thats one thing i wont have to buy...

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, according to Daniel's (DJLsb.. did i get that right?) test curves, and I watch all his vid's, most MOD's really dont do TC very well
as they claim.. so I think, better off just using VW....
However, I am noticing some advantages using TC on my Aspire Speeder.. the hits are a lot more consistent, even when I am
low on battery or coil is going dry.. it still tries to give me the same hit... but no juice = no vape... lol
I think my hits are like, 4 seconds.. and notice the watts only go up to 30something peak at my temp of 460f...
So I guess that means, I have been over-powering my vaping with VW, cuz I have been using 60 to 70 watts???
Also, it depends on the juice I am vaping.. fruit flavors come through better at lower power than dessert types. So I am
always re-adjusting my watts to fit the juice i am vaping..
Dont know how i could do that with a power curve that only has 2 memory slots... lol

I haven't tried the Aspire Speeder but have heard good things about TC. A real good low priced TC mods is the Smoant Battlestar, Charon TC and TS. Laisimo makes a good TC mode as well in the Snowwolf 200W Plus. They're not perfect but what they provide is a consistent vape, not choppy which can turn a TC vape into terrible. Usually they are a little off in regards to temp, sometimes 10 to 30f off what they should be but just adjust accordingly and it can be very pleasurable.

As an example I am currently testing the Vaptio N1 Pro with a Aromamizer Plus with dual SS316L Aliens at .09 ohms. Yesterday I wanted a little warm vape but with a quick ramp up, had it set to 150 watts at 430f, got to temp quick and stayed there. This morning I wanted a cooler vape so I dropped the watts to 130 and set my temp down until were I wanted and settled at 415f. I still get a decent ramp up but the vape is cooler and more satisfying for how I want to vape right now, later in the day I might crank it up a little more. I just like the flexibility to adjust the vape to how I am feeling at the moment and once you get used to it you can get there easily if the mod is up to the task.

I find that coils which take longer to ramp up can benefit from TC the most, get it to the desired temp asap and then have it regulate from there. When set-up properly there is no need to take a primer hit to heat up your coils, just vape right away. Ever notice how some reviewers blow out first then inhale? They are doing this to ramp up the coil first prior to taking a hit, with TC you can bypass that step if set-up right.

I am currently testing the Tesla 2/3 as well which is a VV mod. I love the Zenith which is essentially the same thing and there both great and easy to use mods. The difference for me though is I have to take shorter hits compared to a well setup TC mod, I can only go about 4 seconds before it gets too hot. I am using the TFV12 with the Tesla which loves big power and I love it, the TFV12 coils are only Kanthal though. I can get the same vape using one of my Hohmtech G2 mods but in xXx mode I can control the vape as well to simulate TC mode with Kanthal coils. This way I can get a strong initial hit while ramping down so it is not so hot at the end thus making it easier to take a 5+ second draw.

I think TC is still too difficult for most to set-up properly and for the majority of vapers power mode is the way to go. I was a 100% power vaper for the first year or 2 until someone finally showed me how to use it properly on a good TC mod. Once I experienced it the proper way it is my prefered way to vape but getting there is not easy.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Since I work in a lab, I get to take shit home that they dont want.. so I have 2 nice Mettler balances that are accurate down to
1 microgram.. even have glassware like grad cylinders, beakers, funnels, etc... so i have no prob's with small weights and
volumes..
I have read that there are only a few really good companies that make flavors, i think Flavor Art was one of them...
I havent checked out the prices yet.. i already have a quart bottle of VG, so thats one thing i wont have to buy...

You will want to check this out then, love mixing by weight: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/guide-to-mixing-by-weight.22891/

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
At an average price of 5¢ per ML of DIY e-Liquids making a 15ML so you can try it and then tweak or let it age and infuse for a few days really isn't a waste in my opinion. I have thrown away 30ML bottles of retail liquids because they were just that bad.

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
At an average price of 5¢ per ML of DIY e-Liquids making a 15ML so you can try it and then tweak or let it age and infuse for a few days really isn't a waste in my opinion. I have thrown away 30ML bottles of retail liquids because they were just that bad.
yep, agreed. when I do testers they are 20ml in a 30ml bottle. It just makes it easier for me to weigh ingredients using super concentrated flavors. I generally test them within a couple days then test them again once or twice a week for at least a month in an rda. I usually still have 15ml or more left at the end of the testing and then I either just vape it up, mix 5 or 6 testers together into a 120ml bottle to vape or dump it/them into my liter 'kitchen sink' bottle. Some of my franken-testers I am vaping right now are quite tasty, as is the current kitchen sink mix. I admittedly am not that picky about what I vape. :D

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
volumes..

FlavourArt (FA) and Inawera (INW) are probably the best; The Flavor Apprentice (TFA) and Cappella (CAP) next best, though I won't use any other cream flavor than Cappella's Sweet Cream -- it's spot-on authentic, AND diketone-free -- I keep 2 diff bottles in use, one without the dripper tip for mixing, and one with, for adding drops to food, it's so absolutely realistic -- makes a terrific addition to a low-fat diet! Molinberry's Glamour Chocolate is the only chocolate flavor I use, because it's the only one I've been able to taste -- some people seem to have tastebud-blindspots for certain flavors. There are a lot of other brands, but I've either never tried any of their flavors, or wasn't too impressed with what I did try.

FA also makes some outstanding additives, for flavor-shaping.... Flash, which increases throat hit; Bitter Wizard is great to add to tobacco vapes, to remove the inherent sweetness of VG. The best sucralose I've tried is definitely TFA; I dunno what they do to it, but it doesn't have that artificial whang as some other brands of sucralose have. FA's MTS Wizard seems to help with smoothness; TFA's Koolada gives a cool sensation without the icky taste of menthol. Acetyl Pyrazine is the basis of most nutty flavors, and is good in "bready/cakey" type flavors, or tobacco flavors, but it's really strong; smells just like Fritos, and if used too heavily, tastes like sweat socks. :giggle: If I want some of that sort of flavor in a vape, I generally prefer to use TFA's DX (diketone-free) Hazelnut; it doesn't taste extremely like hazelnuts, but the AP component is great deal more subtle, not over-the-top "fritos flavor". Ethyl maltol is sometimes used as a mild sweetener, but apparently it's more valuable to enhance the "feel" of a vape, gives more richness than merely sweetness. For that, I usually just use TFA's Cotton Candy flavor -- Cotton Candy is just ethyl maltol in a 10% concentration; using the TFA Cotton Candy flavor maintains uniformity and repeatability.

Andria

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
I think TC is still too difficult for most to set-up properly and for the majority of vapers power mode is the way to go. I was a 100% power vaper for the first year or 2 until someone finally showed me how to use it properly on a good TC mod. Once I experienced it the proper way it is my prefered way to vape but getting there is not easy.

Pretty much that, even tho it's not that difficult, people that are new to vaping like me, are a bit scared of TC mode and/or mods. Not to mention that some mods are inaccurate when using TC and others, even tho they have the option, it's absolute useless or can't be used with specific tank/coil setups etc.

Till I get a bit more into ohms law and safety etc, I even run my RDTA and RBA in watt mode on a regulated mod. I know I would get maybe better results in TC mode or TC only mod, as well as with a mech mod, and while all that's safe, but can result in problems due to user errors or lack of knowledge, I don't trust myself just yet. But I am very excited to try that out, further down the line :D

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I make bigger testers too, 20 to 30ml depending on if I am familiar with the flavors and have a decent idea of what to expect. The difference in cost is negligible but some testers are not good as a shake n vape but improve with steeping. I have had a few that were not good at all as a SnV but after a awhile have become ADV's for me. It is usually when one ingredient overpowers the others, with time it settles down and allows the other flavors to come through. Would never find that out if you don't wait. Creams and custards benefit from time as well.

VU Sponsors