Become a Patron!

Watts vs TC.. Which do you prefer?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have had a few that were not good at all as a SnV but after a awhile have become ADV's for me.

I had a Lava Cake once that was amazing as a SnV and I put it on the self but totally forgot about it. So a couple of months later I said Oh I remember this! Filled the tank and it got so strong it was ridiculous. Had to cut it more than 50% and now I need to try it again because I forgot about it again. Way too many retail liquids in stock right now so only doing my DIY Tobacco Blends.

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
FlavourArt (FA) and Inawera (INW) are probably the best; The Flavor Apprentice (TFA) and Cappella (CAP) next best, though I won't use any other cream flavor than Cappella's Sweet Cream -- it's spot-on authentic, AND diketone-free -- I keep 2 diff bottles in use, one without the dripper tip for mixing, and one with, for adding drops to food, it's so absolutely realistic -- makes a terrific addition to a low-fat diet! Molinberry's Glamour Chocolate is the only chocolate flavor I use, because it's the only one I've been able to taste -- some people seem to have tastebud-blindspots for certain flavors. There are a lot of other brands, but I've either never tried any of their flavors, or wasn't too impressed with what I did try.

FA also makes some outstanding additives, for flavor-shaping.... Flash, which increases throat hit; Bitter Wizard is great to add to tobacco vapes, to remove the inherent sweetness of VG. The best sucralose I've tried is definitely TFA; I dunno what they do to it, but it doesn't have that artificial whang as some other brands of sucralose have. FA's MTS Wizard seems to help with smoothness; TFA's Koolada gives a cool sensation without the icky taste of menthol. Acetyl Pyrazine is the basis of most nutty flavors, and is good in "bready/cakey" type flavors, or tobacco flavors, but it's really strong; smells just like Fritos, and if used too heavily, tastes like sweat socks. :giggle: If I want some of that sort of flavor in a vape, I generally prefer to use TFA's DX (diketone-free) Hazelnut; it doesn't taste extremely like hazelnuts, but the AP component is great deal more subtle, not over-the-top "fritos flavor". Ethyl maltol is sometimes used as a mild sweetener, but apparently it's more valuable to enhance the "feel" of a vape, gives more richness than merely sweetness. For that, I usually just use TFA's Cotton Candy flavor -- Cotton Candy is just ethyl maltol in a 10% concentration; using the TFA Cotton Candy flavor maintains uniformity and repeatability.

Andria

Awesome!! thanks for taking the time for all that, I need advise :) .. i am curious about all the different sweeteners.. they all sweeten in
different ways.. like cooking, if you want a sweet added sugar taste, or something that isnt really sweet, but will help enhance the
sweetness of your main flavors...
And I have some expensive juices now that smell like dirty socks.. what a sinking feeling to pay that much, and it stinks...

So, what are your favorite flavor profiles? I like some fruit vapes, if they dont taste like candy, dessert type stuff, donuts, pie
cream stuff like ice cream and cake, baked stuff... cheese cake, key lime pie, shit like that, but not overly sweet.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My brother has just started working in a lab testing liquids, mods, and coils.
He says the way it looks at the moment in the UK that TC will at some point be the only option as tests are finding chemicals are created when heating a liquid too high but hey we all know that everything causes fucking cancer nowadays.
I continue using wattage mode despite numerous updates I receive off him each day but if it gets to the point I can only get hold of TC coils I don't mind cos I use ss builds an coils in a couple of my tanks/RTA'S but as power mode coils are still available I will continue as I love Kanthal an clapton coils.
Giving up my daily tanks the cleito and nautilus mini would really do my head in!

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Awesome!! thanks for taking the time for all that, I need advise :) .. i am curious about all the different sweeteners.. they all sweeten in
different ways.. like cooking, if you want a sweet added sugar taste, or something that isnt really sweet, but will help enhance the
And I have some expensive juices now that smell like dirty socks.. what a sinking feeling to pay that much, and it stinks...

So, what are your favorite flavor profiles? I like some fruit vapes, if they dont taste like candy, dessert type stuff, donuts, pie
cream stuff like ice cream and cake, baked stuff... cheese cake, key lime pie, shit like that, but not overly sweet.
It's about finding what works, I tried loads of stuff an now use vanilla custard as my DIY. It's a stand alone flavour so is simple and works. In between when I'm too busy to mix or have ran out I use dinner lady lemon tart.
Some people rotate flavours, I just use what works for me an stick to it.
It's same with sweeteners. Just experiment a bit

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I had a Lava Cake once that was amazing as a SnV and I put it on the self but totally forgot about it. So a couple of months later I said Oh I remember this! Filled the tank and it got so strong it was ridiculous. Had to cut it more than 50% and now I need to try it again because I forgot about it again. Way too many retail liquids in stock right now so only doing my DIY Tobacco Blends.

Yeah, I discovered a bottle of juice rolling around in a desk drawer that has to be 4 months or more old.. it had turned really dark
and the vape taste was very strong and terrible sweet....

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I discovered a bottle of juice rolling around in a desk drawer that has to be 4 months or more old.. it had turned really dark
and the vape taste was very strong and terrible sweet....
I don't like really fruity flavours like mixed berry etc... so sickly but then again the women at the vape shop said she couldn't stand lemon tart. She was using strawberry milk an I tasted it, it was the worst flavour ever!!

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
just want to point out something, just becuase you smoked cigarettes MTL doesnt mean the whole world does.
plenty of smokers smoke cigarettes and cigars etc DL

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't like really fruity flavours like mixed berry etc... so sickly but then again the women at the vape shop said she couldn't stand lemon tart. She was using strawberry milk an I tasted it, it was the worst flavour ever!!

I know, it's a personal taste thing.. very subjective..
I use what sells well as a guide to what ppl like.... but i usually dont like them, and have wasted too
much money....

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
just want to point out something, just becuase you smoked cigarettes MTL doesnt mean the whole world does.
plenty of smokers smoke cigarettes and cigars etc DL
Wtf is the point in not inhaling a cigarette?? What a stupid fucking statement

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
When I'm not using a mech, either watts with power curves or PWM with a potentiometer. At best, TC adds nothing for me because I simply don't need it to avoid getting dry hits so then it's just a waste of time playing with settings... at worst, TC makes for an anemic vape because there's "no punch".

Power curves let me enjoy more freedom of how I want to build my own coils because power curves can be used for preheat. Regulated mods nowadays usually have an adjustable preheat option, but most of these mods only allow me to adjust the duration and the wattage of the preheat, which IMO is very far from ideal compared to a preheat that uses power curves.

If you, like me, like to chain vape at high watts in VW mode with a preheat that uses power curves, then you probably want to choose a mod that can cope with the higher power output required to sustain the power curves. For me, personally, this means it needs to be a 4-battery mod.

Finally, if I change the watts up or down, I also want my mod to automatically scale my preheat curves, accordingly, and instantaneously because, of all the lazy fifs, I am the laziest one.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I'm not using a mech, either watts with power curves or PWM with a potentiometer. At best, TC adds nothing for me because I simply don't need it to avoid getting dry hits so then it's just a waste of time playing with settings... at worst, TC makes for an anemic vape because there's "no punch".

Power curves let me enjoy more freedom of how I want to build my own coils because power curves can be used for preheat. Regulated mods nowadays usually have an adjustable preheat option, but most of these mods only allow me to adjust the duration and the wattage of the preheat, which IMO is very far from ideal compared to a preheat that uses power curves.

If you, like me, like to chain vape at high watts in VW mode with a preheat that uses power curves, then you probably want to choose a mod that can cope with the higher power output required to sustain the power curves. For me, personally, this means it needs to be a 4-battery mod.

Finally, if I change the watts up or down, I also want my mod to automatically scale my preheat curves, accordingly, and instantaneously because, of all the lazy fifs, I am the laziest one.
I actually agree 100%. It's a very good way to dial in your vape & I actually prefer it too TC. If i'm not using my power curves I still at least set a pre heat.
I find my rx300 pre heat is working very well at the moment and I'm not even gonna bother installing the Artic Fox.
If i'm on the go and can't carry that about I use my tesla mod with the power curves

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Hmmm... I'd say my favorite is probably fruit-n-cream or fruit-n-custard, since I've been vaping strawberry & cream (which actually is very rich like custard) almost without cease for nearly 3 yrs. :giggle: But some dessert flavors too; I was seriously into Blueberry Muffin for quite a few months, but I like it best when I combine it with Banana Nut Bread. Most actual-food desserts I prefer are on the not-so-sweet side -- muffins, cake donuts, bread pudding, used to be wildly in love with egg custard until I became unable to digest egg yolks. So most of the vapes I like best aren't tooth-aching sweet, at least not anymore -- when I first started, thx to my dysfunctional tastebuds, I had to use 2%-2.5% TFA sweetener in everything I mixed, but I've now gotten to the point that if I use any sweetener at all, it's never more than .5%, usually .1%-.2%, and sometimes I forego the sucralose altogether and just use a smidge of EM (cotton candy).

Custard flavors have typically been the ones to watch out for, if you wish to avoid diketones, but if you mix TFA Vanilla Swirl (their diketone-free version of vanilla custard, but more vanilla-y than custard-y) with their DX Bavarian Cream, you end up with a really nice, diketone-free vanilla custard flavor -- that's the basis of my strawberry & cream recipe, plus some CAP Sweet Cream. Maybe 5% each of Vanilla Swirl and DX Bavarian; my recipe started out with 6% DX Bavarian and 4.5% Vanilla Swirl; it has decreased about 15% since its beginning, and those proportions really aren't "hard and fast", just a ratio that I like. Using more than 6% of the DX Bavarian is more or less vomitous, thx to the substitution of butyric acid for diketones.

Andria

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
TC for me is set it up once and I am done. Occasionally raise the temperature when the tank gets hot from chain vaping but for me it always delivers a smooth cool vapor that I searched long and hard to find!
Different strokes for different folks. Personally it's not a daily thing for me, I don't find it vapes any different to my Kanthal or clapton coils...

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
he was saying many people smoke analogs direct to lung (DL) instead of mouth to lung
It's fucking stupid though. Direct lung. How the fuck can something go direct to your lung without going through your mouth first and I was just stating that reviewers who show off by not inhaling to make bigger clouds.
I didn't inhale cigarettes when I was like 10 an had my first fag.
What's the point of having a fag without inhaling.

mhertz

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I Tried to explain it to you though, previously ;) They do inhale...

Also, the notion of DL, although if you take it literally then you of course have a point, though however refers to the direct step of inhaling from mouth to lung, vs dragging into mouth, removing mouth-piece, inhaling...

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
TC for me is set it up once and I am done. Occasionally raise the temperature when the tank gets hot from chain vaping but for me it always delivers a smooth cool vapor that I searched long and hard to find!
For a smooth cool vape I usually adhere to single battery tube mechs and small, refined, Nichrome80 dual coil builds that ohm out at ~0.1 ohms. Occasionally I'll put a larger but still refined Nichrome80 single coil build in one of my 24mm Goon RDAs, and that ohms out at ~0.5 ohms so not usable on a mech for me and because it's bigger it has more ramp up so then the preheat with the power curve still works best for me─albeit at not so high watts. But I also like a smooth warm wet vape on all different kinds of setups. These include series mech and para/series mech, PWM,... and also power curves.

Last edited:

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I Tried to explain it to you though, previously ;) They do inhale...

Also, the notion of DL, although if you take it literally then you of course have a point, though however refers to the direct step of inhaling from mouth to lung, vs dragging into mouth, removing mouth-piece, inhaling...
I don't see how if they are not even holding it in they can be inhaling??

mhertz

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't see how if they are not even holding it in they can be inhaling??
How long the inhaled vapor is held in, is individual preference(like with cigs) - inhalation means letting the substance into the lungs simply. If you take your mouthpiece and instead of sucking vapor into your mouth, then you instead try to take a breath of "air" directly from the mouthpiece - think hooka's or taking a xxxx-hit(from my older days), or maybe a diving-mask.

Anyway, how others choose to vape, or inhale or whatever, is imho pretty irrelevant ;)

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How long the inhaled vapor is held in, is individual preference(like with cigs) - inhalation means letting the substance into the lungs simply. If you take your mouthpiece and instead of sucking vapor into your mouth, then you instead try to take a breath of "air" directly from the mouthpiece - think hooka's or taking a xxxx-hit(from my older days), or maybe a diving-mask.

Anyway, how others choose to vape, or inhale or whatever, is imho pretty irrelevant ;)
Too word it another way then they are not taking it back & it might be irrelevant to you but the original post wasn't even fucking meant for you. You've just chose to interfere

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm sorry if I have offended you somehow, that wasn't my intention, and I will not bother you again then...
No need to apologize, it's me who should be saying sorry. I get stressed to easily with people who don't know me.
You haven't offended me in the slightest and I can tell your a decent guy so don't worry :)

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Seems to me like a bit more work to set up than simply adjust the wattage and temperature after screwing in a coil and filling a tank.
Vaping the way you describe would only make me seriously want to go back to smoking cigarettes, and, smoking cigarettes was seriously wearing me out. Vaping the way I vape is still taking the least amount of effort from me to get me what I really want.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
As long as it keeps you away from the killer sticks is all that matters! Taste and the way you vape is as we say subjective..........

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As long as it keeps you away from the killer sticks is all that matters! Taste and the way you vape is as we say subjective..........
The guy at the local vape shop looked at me like I was from Mars when I told him I only vaped in TC mode, and that I wasn't buying any of his mods cuz they all sucked for TC, as he sat there taking one or two second pulls at obv 100+ watts.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The guy at the local vape shop looked at me like I was from Mars when I told him I only vaped in TC mode, and that I wasn't buying any of his mods cuz they all sucked for TC, as he sat there taking one or two second pulls at obv 100+ watts.

I once blew a guy away at a vape shop with a 10 second pull on my Nautilus Mini when my cloud was bigger! He had a 4 coil build at 150 Watts but could not pull for more than 2 seconds! LMFAO

Great examples of using TC and not to knock those who only vape in power mode, it is just preference and those who like to take longer pulls are those that benefit the most from TC.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Great examples of using TC and not to knock those who only vape in power mode, it is just preference and those who like to take longer pulls are those that benefit the most from TC.

The 10 second pulls on the Mini are in Wattage Mode and not using TC! I use both TC and wattage mode because many of the tanks I use do not have TC Coils.

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I once blew a guy away at a vape shop with a 10 second pull on my Nautilus Mini when my cloud was bigger! He had a 4 coil build at 150 Watts but could not pull for more than 2 seconds! LMFAO
yeah, my preheat watts are up close to 100 on some of my current 0.15 - 0.25ohm builds (used to go higher watts and lower ohms but started building slightly higher ohm recently) but they only hit that for a second or two when I watch the display and I can pull on them until timeout if I want with the temp down in the 420 - 450 range.

I actually pulled 2 old picos into rotation recently with cubis pro tanks to use up some old factory coils: 0.25 ohm at 55w, 0.5 ohm at 25 watts, running in ss tc mode. These were my 2nd sub ohm tanks after the orig cubis and I am pleasantly surprised with the vape. A bit more restricted airflow than on everything else in the rotation right now but perfect for a small mod I can grab and throw in a pocket with no worries of leaking.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Unless they take those long drags at extremely low wattage. I've tried 2 TC mods, and neither was worth a damn for low-power vaping. I take 5-6 second pulls... at 9.5w. TC mods are all optimized for at least double that wattage, if not even more, with their 25-30 watt ramp-ups that can't be changed to go any lower.

Andria

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
TC mods are all optimized for at least double that wattage, if not even more, with their 25-30 watt ramp-ups that can't be changed to go any lower.
I have 20 - 30 tc capable mods and only one (the last one I purchased) has a non-adjustable wattage (revenant, 60w max non adjustable in tc) in tc mode. every other mod can be adjusted in 1w or less increments in tc mode. I have no idea how to vape in wattage or tc mode at sub 10 watts but plenty of mods (pico for example) can do it at that low of watts.

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have never seen a low wattage TC coil are they even made by any manufacturer?
me neither but they could be built probably... not by me and my shaky hands since they would require 30ga or higher probably.

the closest I have are the cubis ss coils 0.5ohm coils rated for 15 - 30 watts and I think I have a box or 2 of 1.0 ohm ss coils rated for 10 - 25w

currently vaping a boreas, 6? wraps of 26/36 ss clapton, 0.24 ohm locked in on a hohm wrecker g2, 70w and 450f.... diy salty ripple soooo goood

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Maybe I should rephrase it and say I have never seen Above Ohm TC Coils? Basically all the TC Coils I have or have seen are for Sub Ohm tanks.

Sure I guess you could build them but not too many decks that take that big of coils in the RBA/RDA/RTA tanks.

Last edited:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have 20 - 30 tc capable mods and only one (the last one I purchased) has a non-adjustable wattage (revenant, 60w max non adjustable in tc) in tc mode. every other mod can be adjusted in 1w or less increments in tc mode. I have no idea how to vape in wattage or tc mode at sub 10 watts but plenty of mods (pico for example) can do it at that low of watts.

The first TC mod I tried was the original Joyetech Evic-VT... then, the Coolfire IV 75w-TC-18650. Neither would adjust the ramp-up wattage below 25w, and I think the Evic's lowest ramp-up was 30w.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
most any mod from the past 2 yrs can do what you want it to

Those 2 I've tried, will not. But I didn't like the taste from either Ti or SS anyway, so it's no great loss. Vaping at 9.5w is its own TC. :D

Andria

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Too true. It pains me to see so many people vape the same (or almost) way most vapers do only because they've been led to believe that this is the best way to vape. You don't know which way is the better way for you until you've done at least some experimenting/exploring. Vaping was born out of experimenting and exploring, and, above all, out of breaking away from the habitual. We now see an opposing trend. And it's causing more than just a few people to not see why vaping isn't helping them enough to stay off cigarettes. That's what pains me most.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Too true. It pains me to see so many people vape the same (or almost) way most vapers do only because they've been led to believe that this is the best way to vape. You don't know which way is the better way for you until you've done at least some experimenting/exploring. Vaping was born out of experimenting and exploring, and, above all, out of breaking away from the habitual. We now see an opposing trend. And it's causing more than just a few people to not see why vaping isn't helping them enough to stay off cigarettes. That's what pains me most.

It seems to me that some people think that vaping will MAKE them quit smoking... when it will do nothing of the sort. It's true that some vapers quit smoking because they enjoyed vaping so much, they literally forgot to smoke. :D But that's not usually the case; whether it takes only a little effort and self-control, or it takes all you've got and seems like more is required... SOME effort is necessary.

I've heard people say things like, well you have to want to quit, but I'm not sure that's true -- I sure as hell didn't want to quit; I wanted to become a non-smoker without having to suffer the pangs of quitting, which is pretty much what vaping did for me. I *wanted* vaping to work, so much, that it actually did. I never told myself "this is impossible;" so I was able to go from a pk a day down to 1 cigarette a day, for the last 3 days... while using 6mg ejuice in a cigalike. Getting rid of that last one was a bit of a challenge, but once I learned how to get max nic absorption from vaping, all it really required at that point was to make a commitment not to smoke anymore. And that absolutely WORKED, for 3.5 months... until I had an appendectomy, couldn't eat, vape or even drink very much for 4 days, and wound up with such a bad case of cravings, I caved in and smoked. For a month.

Getting rid of them the 2nd time was much harder, but still... at first, all it required was that commitment to not smoke. When the physical cravings came back, WTA saved the day, so I didn't have ANOTHER relapse. But even WTA is not a magic wand -- you have to make the effort to get it, and use it, and NOT SMOKE. Sure, excuses by the million can be found for "sneaking a smoke," and god knows smokers and ex-smokers are absolute champions of making total bullshit sound like a really good reason -- at least in their own minds. But it really does come down to one thing: how much do you really want to be a non-smoker? I won't say, how much do you want to quit, because quitting is the bastard we all sidestepped by switching to vaping... some, easier than others, but becoming a non-smoker because of vaping is by far the easiest and least painful way to do it. Even with all the BS hardware quirks, BS ejuice that costs a fortune and tastes like sweat socks -- it's still easier than cold turkey, or any patch, pill, spray, or gum on the market.

But if there's a small voice in your head saying things like, "if it gets to be THAT bad, then I'll smoke", then no, you probably won't quit, or stay quit. That sort of hedging is fine for when you're first starting out, transitioning from smoke to vape... but after months or years go by... it's total bullshit and anyone who's ever told themselves things like that knows it very well... even if they don't want to admit it. Saying shit like that is basically daring the universe to test you.

Andria

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
me neither but they could be built probably... not by me and my shaky hands since they would require 30ga or higher probably.

the closest I have are the cubis ss coils 0.5ohm coils rated for 15 - 30 watts and I think I have a box or 2 of 1.0 ohm ss coils rated for 10 - 25w

currently vaping a boreas, 6? wraps of 26/36 ss clapton, 0.24 ohm locked in on a hohm wrecker g2, 70w and 450f.... diy salty ripple soooo goood
I'm after one of them hohm wrecker mods, someone was selling one but at the time I didn't have the money. Just keeping a look out :)
I've heard good things about its TC too!
I don't TC daily but would be good just to have an option of smooth TC when I want to do it.
My archon does TC well but it's a bit on the weak side. I have to vape it at 500f.
I've used other mods where I only have to vape from 350-400.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You don't know which way is the better way for you until you've done at least some experimenting/exploring.

Yes, I have experimented with a few ways to vape and found what is right for me. Vaping was how I was ABLE TO QUIT because it took the place of smoking and helping a friend right now with vaping and he has cut down more than half and quickly getting less and less.

VU Sponsors