Become a Patron!

Weight Gain

Carolyn Z

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Fortunately I was able to stop smoking thanks to vaping (I love it)

Unfortunately, I have gained considerable weight since I started vaping (6/16/16). I have gained 40 lbs.
Has anyone else had a significant weight gain????

At first I thought it was a new medication my Dr. put me on and the cortisone injection I get in my knees. Both can be attributed to weight gain. I was craving sweets in a really obessesive way. I wasn't to hard on myself, after all, I just quit smoking.

Ok as of last week I've stopped taking the injections and the medication. I quit the sweets. (no sugar). Still vaping, I really dont want to go back to smoking. I dont think it has anything to do with calories. I think it more of a metabolic issue.

Will be updating here after the Holidays. Jan 1st I can exersize again, in physical therapy now. Female 55, 5'7 and a whopping 250 lbs. Merry Chrismas Everyone! All Be Safe out There

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Unfortunately, I have gained considerable weight since I started vaping (6/16/16). I have gained 40 lbs.

At first I thought it was a new medication my Dr. put me on and the cortisone injection I get in my knees. Both can be attributed to weight gain. I was craving sweets in a really obessesive way. I wasn't to hard on myself, after all, I just quit smoking.

Ok as of last week I've stopped taking the injections and the medication. I quit the sweets. (no sugar). Still vaping, I really dont want to go back to smoking. I dont think it has anything to do with calories. I think it more of a metabolic issue.

Will be updating here after the Holidays. Jan 1st I can exersize again, in physical therapy now. Female 55, 5'7 and a whopping 250 lbs. Merry Chrismas Everyone! All Be Safe out There
Actually, its had the exact opposite affect on me. Since I started vaping I have dropped a little over 30lbs. Now if I want a twinkie, cannoil, swedish fish, cotton candy, apple pie, or any type of custard or donut I vape it. Since I started vaping I breathe better, walk more, taste food better, and I just feel better all around. Vaping has definitely improved the quality of my life.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Usually smoking cessation does produce a significant weight gain due to metabolic changes. However if you're vaping nicotine, that's not *quite* as true as with cold-turkey quitting -- except that there are a considerable number of other chemicals in cigarette smoke which might be implicated in that metabolic change, and also, unless you're vaping something like 36mg nicotine, you're almost certainly not getting nearly as much nicotine as when you smoked; vaporized nicotine doesn't absorb nearly as well as nicotine in smoke.

Steroids definitely cause weight gain, as they cause a lot of adipose (fat) tissue to be stored in the skin and in odd places like the back. Other than that, it could be a factor of improving sense of taste -- I lost weight at first, but that was probably due to still being on a post-holidays diet at the time, and the momentum from that diet; since my sense of taste has improved, I've gained it back.

You mentioned that you're off sugar, so it may be that your body has gone into "hoarding" behavior -- it's not getting much sugar to turn into glucose, so it tries to hoard whatever weight you have. A moderate diet is usually much more successful than a strict one, for just that reason.

Andria

VU Sponsors