Become a Patron!

Weird soapy pungent after tast

LanceH

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Some times my fruity flavors get a wears soapy pungent after taste. Could my flavors be expired?

LanceH

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Mainly wizard labs and lorans flavor brands. Recent flavors were 6% coconut extract from wizard labs and 6%ripe bonanna wizard labs .

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
Fruit tend to become soap with too much flavor, try to keep your total flavor percent around or below 15% if you can, I personally rarely let it get above 10%
If a certain concentrate is too high, it ruins it all. Like FA blackberry, very potent very easy to overdo it. Start low with your mixes and work up slowly until you have passed it's perfectness, once passed you know it's under that. Did you air out the flavors that had alcohol in them, they smell of cheap vodka. That's all I got with what I know with your post, sorry.

Edit new post seen, wizard labs, it's probably a dud. They have fucked their storage HARD. Try bull city instead to see a difference.

EDIT Auto correct why?!

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Mainly wizard labs and lorans flavor brands. Recent flavors were 6% coconut extract from wizard labs and 6%ripe bonanna wizard labs .
the coconut is the culprit. I've had the same issues with it. Try another brand of coconut, your Percentages for coconut are REALLY high, that may be causing it.

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Edit new post seen, wizard labs, it's probably a dud. They have fucked their storage HARD.

Really? Do you know what happened there? I haven't purchased from them in a while but just recently I heard that they got bought out by another company and then laid off a bunch of long time employees. That alone makes me not want to spend my money there.

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
Really? Do you know what happened there? I haven't purchased from them in a while but just recently I heard that they got bought out by another company and then laid off a bunch of long time employees. That alone makes me not want to spend my money there.

I'm not certain on details, but my last order from em of the ten flavors only two weren't ruined. I don't like throwing companies under the bus, but yeah I don't stand for stuff like that. When I say ruined, 3 had the lids off, and the juice spilled all over the package, 4 had this weird taste that I just couldn't place, and 1 I think I just didn't like. Now I am willing to place some of the blame, especially the spilled bottles, on the delivery system cause that does happen. Not all of that is on the delivery guys, I'm fairly certain.
When I first started DIY I ordered from WL cause I had heard they were good, their nic was flat out bad, and I didn't like a couple of the flavors, TFA blue raz just no, so I quit for a while till about a year ago. Gave them another shot thinking I just got a bad batch, their nic wasn't AS bad, but still way too peppery even after vigorous shaking and multiple attempts. That was the last time I ordered from them, so maybe I just got super unlucky. As for staff changes, I had no idea anyone was fired, so I can't speak on that part. Maybe people have had luck with em recently, but I'm not putting my trust there any more.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
to be real here, that much coconut will taste soapy, no matter what. Any other mixers agree/disagree?

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't like throwing companies under the bus, but yeah I don't stand for stuff like that.

Hey, the truth is what it is and if that happened to me, yeah, I wouldn't stand for it either. They were good when they first started out and their Ice nic was some of the best that I've ever used but for whatever reason, they quit offering it. Their regular nic seemed to be either hit or miss.

Now, with all the changes, I'll just stick with BCF, I like the folks over there! :)

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
to be real here, that much coconut will taste soapy, no matter what. Any other mixers agree/disagree?

I would tend to agree but in all fairness, I've never tried to do a strictly Coconut vape before either ... it just doesn't appeal to me. I do like using it as an adjunct to other flavors, just not as a primary. I also don't know what the strength level is for that particular brand having never tried it but yes, 6% sounds high and it would definitely give off a soapy taste if that were the case.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I agree about the coconut. Even just a little bit tastes soapy to me.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I can't agree or disagree.

LanceH never told us which coconut manufacturer his coconut flavor was made by.... Only that it came from WL.

WL does not seem to make it's own coconut extract. Looking at the WL website today I do see they sell coconut flavor from at least 3 different manufacturers. Heck, since I see in the OP that there may be concern with expired flavors, who knows what WL sold Lance or when. Maybe WL does not even sell that brand of coconut flavor any more?

Looking at my notes, on April 4, 2014 I made a single flavor mix of INW Coconut at 6%. It did not taste soapy at all. In fact, I and some friends really enjoyed it. I wish I could make more. :sad:

Ron
---
"I often wake up in the night, and I like to have something to think about."- Marilyn Monroe

LanceH

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I can't agree or disagree.

LanceH never told us which coconut manufacturer his coconut flavor was made by.... Only that it came from WL.

WL does not seem to make it's own coconut extract. Looking at the WL website today I do see they sell coconut flavor from at least 3 different manufacturers. Heck, since I see in the OP that there may be concern with expired flavors, who knows what WL sold Lance or when. Maybe WL does not even sell that brand of coconut flavor any more?

Looking at my notes, on April 4, 2014 I made a single flavor mix of INW Coconut at 6%. It did not taste soapy at all. In fact, I and some friends really enjoyed it. I wish I could make more. :sad:

Ron
---
"I often wake up in the night, and I like to have something to think about."- Marilyn Monroe
The bottle saws wizard labs and I am not sure because I bought it all from a guy that quit DIYing I got over 200 flavors and just had to make him 2 bottles. So I am not sure how old they are or what manufacturers. But I'm assuming pretty old seance the bottles have a wizard labs label.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have a BIG bottle of a Coconut Cream that is extremely well aged and the Coconut is at 4% with total flavor at 7% and no soapy taste. Just my own experience but never had a soapy taste............. SO Far?

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The bottle saws wizard labs and I am not sure because I bought it all from a guy that quit DIYing I got over 200 flavors and just had to make him 2 bottles. So I am not sure how old they are or what manufacturers. But I'm assuming pretty old seance the bottles have a wizard labs label.

Here are some pics. of WL 10ml bottles. These were purchased from WL around 4 years ago.
IMG_20171109_121615851 a.jpg

If you look at the bottle's sides...
IMG_20171109_121630751  a.jpg

...you can find the flavor manufacturer. It's not prominent and easy to find. If these labels are not like the ones you have, post some pics. and we can help you out.

All WL flavors I've bought since have the flavor manufacturer's name somewhere.

Ron
---
"The older you get, the farther from the camera you need to be. "-Heather Locklear

LanceH

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah that's what they look like I'll have to look a little closer when I get home and see the manufacturer. Do those till seem good after 4 years?

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah that's what they look like I'll have to look a little closer when I get home and see the manufacturer. Do those till seem good after 4 years?

It's tough to determine if they are still... good. Some may still be viable and some not. It seems some flavors can better stand the test of time than others. How they were stored may also be a factor.

VU Sponsors