Become a Patron!

weird taste in my Japanese cotton helppp!!!!

sooo i just bought this amazing box mod the ipv3 150w, 8.5v with the RDA Plume Veil rebuildable dripper atomizer with the 2 positive and two negative connectors which is awesome for doing some sweet builds but anyway i got it with the Japanese cotton squares and its amazing the clouds are bigger and it just doesn't burn but theirs like this strange taste in it and it kinda ruins the juice taste so i was wondering if im doing something wrong like is there something i have to do before i wick it like whats good i heard great stuff about it and im kinda disappointed.... and if your wondering im not ripping it at 150 watts like even if i rip it at 50 watts i get that weird taste.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Can you describe the strange taste?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
You could be using too much? I've done that. It does normally give a really flavorful, clean taste. The only issue I had with it was that it didn't last as long between re-wicking, so I stopped using it.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have noticed that for the first 10 or so drags it has a bit of an "earthy" flavor, but that goes away after that.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
You could be using too much? I've done that. It does normally give a really flavorful, clean taste. The only issue I had with it was that it didn't last as long between re-wicking, so I stopped using it.
I think too much cotton myself. That cotton needs to be a bit looser than the regular cotton.

I have noticed that for the first 10 or so drags it has a bit of an "earthy" flavor, but that goes away after that.
I haven't noticed an "earthy" flavor. I just did my first JC build, no problem. However, I soaked the wick real good and let it sit for a Minute, due to positioning the wicks further.

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've had the same experience, and I found it usually indicates how well I've washed my hands before I twist my cotton.

Hoekakes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
did you wash the new plume veil before building it?

harakire

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Might be the coil build and/or mod. Some juices taste better with a cooler vape, and some with a hotter vape.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Also when you wind a coil some skin gets on the wire if you look closely. Make sure you burn it off before you wick up.

MWRoze

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I had this same problem and found that i was using too much cotton. It was too tight through the coil so the juice wasn't completely saturating the cotton. If you use slightly less and wait 5 minutes after applying juice your problem should be solved. Also as someone mentioned, oil from your hands will create a weird taste, thats no joke. Only touch the twisted end you plan to cut off.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Ehmm...."Always" does not make Japanese Cotton .

Heres my experience with it. I bought cottonballs and japanese cotton squares. First I used cottonballs exclusively, and I seemed to go through a lot of it. I hate unwrapping the cotton, and there is tons of kinks.

I liked the idea of cutting a strip from a square much better. And it was much easier. But when I tried japanese cotton, It tasted awful. I went back to cotton, and occasionally tried to used the squares again. Sometimes I would get sick of the flavor, othertimes it would be okay.

I simply made the switch after going through a half bag of cottonballs. I haven't looked back since. I waste much less with japanese cotton now. Although its about 3x's the amount, it takes a year and a half to go through a bag.

I don't know what happened, but I dont get a baf taste anymore. When I look back in it, cottonballs used to make me gag the first couple puffs. My advice would be just commit to using the japanese cotton for a week, you might become a fan like most of us!

mike-c

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
nvm i think it might be because it is burning i think i need different coils
Did ya figure out what was causing the wierd taste?

doughdreads

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I always just use boiled denim for my builds.

mike-c

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
May I ask why you use denim when there are several ways to get cotton dirt cheap these days? Are you not affraid of all the nasty chemicals they use to dye and soften denim? Especially the high dollar jeans.

doughdreads

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
94cc1da622d7c81caef466612477f81c.jpg

mike-c

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

ApeMustNotKillVape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I had the same issue. Then I washed the packing tape goo off of my scissors.
Sometimes it is a simple fix.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"Japanese cotton"... Fancy name for a brand of makeup cotton pads (Koh Gen Do) found in Japan. You can buy the same shit at Target, but it doesn't make you feel like a samurai vaper...

Me, I either use cellucotton, or carded cotton from the local arts and crafts store.

Last edited:

Anus Braun

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I always just use boiled denim for my builds.
That's an idea...I'd given trying to use retractable ink-pen springs, to form coils, in case one day that's all I can get my hands on.

TwistedVaper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You are probably using too much cotton or your coils have become gunky and need to be cleaned. I would take all the cotton out, dry burn the coils and drop a little water on them to clean them off and then re-wick the coils and see if the taste is gone. Make sure you are using good cotton also. It wouldnt hurt to boil it

doughdreads

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you are using sterile cotton there is no need to boil the it; they sterilize it in an autoclave system.
I'd just use good quality organic cotton; unbleached, untreated no need to boil.
Just my opinion though.

VU Sponsors