Become a Patron!

Well, I'm here... Now what?

Grandpa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Retired mechanical engineering guy. Gave up analogs 2 years ago (for the millionth time); had a short "slip" with the cowboy killers this past summer, so I decided to give vaping a try. Bought a low cost starter kit and I was off. No cigs now since July. I feel a lot better doing this, as I've had some serious health issues the last couple of years. I swim 2/3 of a mile every weekday morning, and vaping doesn't seem to bother my breathing at all.

I discovered a whole new world when I took up this new hobby/addiction. Because of my background, all the geek stuff strongly appeals to me. I quickly graduated from the starter kit to sub-ohm vaping. I have three sub-ohm atomizers and one good 120W TC mod now. Today, I built my first coil on the RBA deck for my TFV4 Mini. And it works. Comes in @ .36 ohms too, so I'm happy with this first effort. I am ABSOLUTELY dead certain that I will be doing a LOT more building and fiddling. I've also collected a decent start on some basic lab gear (good .00 gram scale and some glassware, funnels, green, blue, and amber glass bottles in various sizes, etc.) and I have been brewing my own juice for a couple of months. I'm making 10mg all VG at this point with no flavoring at all. I like clouds and I found out right away that I'm a little allergic to PG (makes my throat itch). Anyway, I'm about to start experimenting with some flavorings soon; going to start ordering some that I'm interested in. The VG made my liquid very thick, so I've been playing with diluting with distilled water @ 10% total. It works really well for me and thins the VG right out.

Been married to Grandma forever (she is also retired from a career as a RN) and we have 2 adult children; a son and a daughter. Our daughter has 2 children, a boy and a girl, so I have the grandpa thing going. My granddaughter is a senior in high school, and will be starting an apprenticeship as a tattoo artist when she graduates this spring. My grandson doesn't know what he wants to do for yet, but he has played football the last 2 years. He is 14.

That's about it for now.

kevinjp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome to the forum. For tweeker the DNA and Hohm mods seem popular. Just got the Hohm G2 and it's fantastic.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Welcome to VU!

IMO, the harder part in building your own coils, is the wicking. Too little wick can cause leaking, too much dry hits.

You can find some good eJuice recipes and information in the DIY sub-forum.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Grandpa and welcome to VU, great intro....glad you found us!!!!:wave:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hi Grandpa!
hi_there_smiley.gif

I liked your intro, too, fun to read. I remember my first build. It was more like a >sproing!< so I kept at it. I'm a mixer, too, so I hope to run into ya in the DIY. Good stuff there.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
From one geek to another ...Welcome to the VU.

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Hiya Gramps - pleased to meetcha

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hi Grandpa, welcome to VU! Lots of geek types 'round here. :)

Andria

Duchesst

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Be carefull with the flavorings. 1) can be very addictive 2) can be very disappointing in the beginning if you don't have some good recipes. A top recipe for me and friends, family is HIC white tic-tac it only requires three flavorings aswell as been a shake and vape so it doesn't need to steep

VU Sponsors