Become a Patron!

Well, it ain't cotton candy........

cvostreetglide

Member For 2 Years
Folks I'm noticing something that may not be anything at all but thought I would post it and see if there is some need for concern.

My background in circuit building and building things like radios was good proving grounds for getting into building simple coils for vaping (my new hobby) however, I've never had alot of experience with cotton. Oh sure, I stick some on the end of a "Q-Tip" for cleaning intricate little components in older radios that I'm rebuilding (doesn't work bad to clean out the ears occasionally) but wicking the coil is a new adventure for me.

I've had no trouble with the TFV 8 or the TFV 12 build decks once the over stuffing (dry hit beast) was overcome, but this new Ammit Dual coil does some interesting thing to my cotton.

My first attempt went well, it wicked good and tasted WONDERFUL but popped loudly... tried adjusting the airflow and then the watts but nothing made it go completely away. So, I just figured it was nature of the beast. After vaping on it for one tank I decided to take the coil out before refilling and just look at it.... (ok "admire" it) and it looked alright but for some reason I thought I would tug ever so slightly on the cotton...... and it slipped right out of the coil. hmmm..... Thinking I was just stronger than I thought, I gingerly tested the other wick.... and it practically fell out! A little dark right in the middle where they would have met inside the coil but not visibly burned that I could see. So, re-wicked and tried again. Same story.... great flavor (love this tank) a little less popping (still good sizzle) and when the tank was empty tonight I repeated the steps I took the day before. This time.... only one wick fell out, the other was still attached and firm.....

This time I wicked with the Japanese cotton and made it a little tighter thinking perhaps the wick was too loose allowing the coil to have a "hot spot" and burn the wick? Could this have caused the loud popping? So far this evening the little beauty is not quite so vocal (popping) but good sizzle with an occasional krackle... Did I blindly fix it?

cvostreetglide

Member For 2 Years
I should have added that I have the mod set between 50 ~ 75 watts depending on how things taste. (.15 ohms) on a pair of Claptons.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Make your cotton a little thicker. Also try to keep your coils between 5 or 6 wraps. 7 is pushing it. What is happening is your coil is heating from the middle like it is supposed to, but the juice is burning out faster than it can be drawn in. Hence the burnt wick ends where they were inside the coil.
You should be able to pull your wick through the coil without twisting it to much. It just takes practice to get used to how much wick to use.

VU Sponsors