Become a Patron!

Welp, I've joined the fraternity of regrettable knockoffs/clones...

daddyrabbit

Member For 4 Years
My local B&M had a "Bullet" RDA for sale for just 8 bucks. As I've never RDA'd before and was considering it, I jumped on it. The name on the box was Cig Cloud or Cloud Cig, the logo was weird.

Got the thing home and immediately YouTube/Googled it. The "real" bullet is made by Sparkle. This asshole of a knockoff had extremely subtle differences, but enough for one day's use (to finish off a few drips of juice) and into the garbage it went.

It wasn't bad enough to write off the B&M, but I guess I had to fall in that trap eventually.

Now if FastTech would hurry up with my kitty cat Kylin, I'd be happy again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My local B&M had a "Bullet" RDA for sale for just 8 bucks. As I've never RDA'd before and was considering it, I jumped on it. The name on the box was Cig Cloud or Cloud Cig, the logo was weird.

Got the thing home and immediately YouTube/Googled it. The "real" bullet is made by Sparkle. This asshole of a knockoff had extremely subtle differences, but enough for one day's use (to finish off a few drips of juice) and into the garbage it went.

It wasn't bad enough to write off the B&M, but I guess I had to fall in that trap eventually.

Now if FastTech would hurry up with my kitty cat Kylin, I'd be happy again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you trash it because it was a clone? Or because it didn't vape well? Because not all clones are "regrettable" -- my cloned Achilles are MILES better than my authentic Achilles II.

Andria

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Did you trash it because it was a clone? Or because it didn't vape well? Because not all clones are "regrettable" -- my cloned Achilles are MILES better than my authentic Achilles II

A legit question indeed: I have many original RDAs and many clones, and 95% of my clones are indistinguishable from the originals - aside from the price, which is an order of magnitude lower.

daddyrabbit

Member For 4 Years
Did you trash it because it was a clone? Or because it didn't vape well? Because not all clones are "regrettable" -- my cloned Achilles are MILES better than my authentic Achilles II.

Andria
Definitely trashed it because the vape was never consistent. One time I would get 10-15 good pulls before I needed to re-drip, then I'd get like 3-4 before it was vomit-worthy, then back to 7-8, redrip, then dry hits, then...it was just totally inconsistent. Finally between vapes, I'd get absolutely nothing. I'd look on my Alien and it would be asking "New Coil?". No, keep vaping. Then "Ohms too low", then the Ohms would read like 2 (not .2, but 2!), then "Atomizer short", then really good vape, rinse, repeat. Changed coils, changed cotton, changed type of coil, changed type of cotton, never obtained consistency. When I started seeing the errors on screen, a missing RDA is better than a missing hand, so from the 3-point line, it went in the trash.

Only $8 lost.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Definitely trashed it because the vape was never consistent. One time I would get 10-15 good pulls before I needed to re-drip, then I'd get like 3-4 before it was vomit-worthy, then back to 7-8, redrip, then dry hits, then...it was just totally inconsistent. Finally between vapes, I'd get absolutely nothing. I'd look on my Alien and it would be asking "New Coil?". No, keep vaping. Then "Ohms too low", then the Ohms would read like 2 (not .2, but 2!), then "Atomizer short", then really good vape, rinse, repeat. Changed coils, changed cotton, changed type of coil, changed type of cotton, never obtained consistency. When I started seeing the errors on screen, a missing RDA is better than a missing hand, so from the 3-point line, it went in the trash.

Only $8 lost.

Quite understandable. I just see a lot of people whining about clones, when my own experience is more like Giraut's, many times the clones outperform the authentics. Not always, certainly, as you've seen with that POS RDA. That's one reason why, if I buy a clone, I try to at least stick with a brand that's pretty well known -- my best cloned KFL+'s are Tobecos; the EHPro's are quite underwhelming, and the no-name one I got for next to nothing was worth about that much, too.... ;) But the authentic KFL+ I finally got, I'm not sure it really *performs* better than the Tobeco version, but the threads are like a hot knife thru butter, just amazingly smooth, so the quality is quite evident.

But the guy at titanium-mods.com totally fucked up the Achilles, when he revamped it and called it the Achilles II; it may have cost $98, but my $25 clones are much better vapes, and don't leak, unlike that fucking expensive authentic. :facepalm:

Andria

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's unfortunate, I wonder if it was a flaw in the rda itself like a poor insulator or pin or something or something else. That almost sounds like the coil leads weren't tightened enough or pinched funny and not making solid contact (hence the varying solid hits vs asking for new coil etc). I think it was the limitless rdta someone mentioned the 510 pin that goes up through the atty broke off inside and they weren't thrilled. Pretty sure that was an authentic.

AndriaD hasn't had the best experience with ehpro clones, I have a bachelor which is a different design and one of their own (not a clone of others) which is a solid quality single coil rta. Nicer build, smoother threads, heavier parts and silky smooth airflow and juice flow compared to my authentic geekvape ammit and geekvape is supposed to be a popular quality brand. The bachelor by comparison is kind of like comparing a cadillac to a plain chevy.

I've dealt with tobeco clones of the kfv4 and kfv5, both are solid. Smooth threads, good quality. The problems you mentioned I've dealt with on my avocado clone but that's because thin wires don't secure very well. The grub screws only clamp down so tight and when dealing with single strands of ss316L the leads are pretty thin even at 26g. I can tighten the hell out of it and the leads will still wiggle free. It helps to twist the ss316L so the end result is a fatter wire that the grub screws can make good contact with.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That's unfortunate, I wonder if it was a flaw in the rda itself like a poor insulator or pin or something or something else. That almost sounds like the coil leads weren't tightened enough or pinched funny and not making solid contact (hence the varying solid hits vs asking for new coil etc). I think it was the limitless rdta someone mentioned the 510 pin that goes up through the atty broke off inside and they weren't thrilled. Pretty sure that was an authentic.

AndriaD hasn't had the best experience with ehpro clones, I have a bachelor which is a different design and one of their own (not a clone of others) which is a solid quality single coil rta. Nicer build, smoother threads, heavier parts and silky smooth airflow and juice flow compared to my authentic geekvape ammit and geekvape is supposed to be a popular quality brand. The bachelor by comparison is kind of like comparing a cadillac to a plain chevy.

I've dealt with tobeco clones of the kfv4 and kfv5, both are solid. Smooth threads, good quality. The problems you mentioned I've dealt with on my avocado clone but that's because thin wires don't secure very well. The grub screws only clamp down so tight and when dealing with single strands of ss316L the leads are pretty thin even at 26g. I can tighten the hell out of it and the leads will still wiggle free. It helps to twist the ss316L so the end result is a fatter wire that the grub screws can make good contact with.

The EHPro cloned attys, meh, I guess they'd do in a pinch, though they're not great -- but their clone of the Electric Angel mech, the Fallen Angel, is truly superb; from all that I read about the two, the clone is actually a good bit better than the *original* Electric Angel, though it cost less than half as much; I think the originators of the mod took steps to address the shortcomings of the original, in the v2 release of the EA -- though it isn't nearly as good looking as the original *or* the clone. :giggle:

Andria

VU Sponsors