MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I like crime dramas so...
Hill Street Blues
Criminal Minds
Blue Bloods (still going)
Perry Mason (a real oldie that my wife gets into)
Monk, more a comedy, but has some drama.

If you can see it Mindhunter on Netflix is more of an adult version of Criminal Minds. Used to like watching Hill Street at times. Can get lost watching Raymond Burr but that's the voice in that damn styling suits. I wind up falling asleep through the dry Perry Mason. Not getting into Monk or Blue Bloods. Blue Bloods because well Tom Selleck and no matter what he's in it's Tom Selleck. Monk because of the alleged humor.

I'm also "still flying", happy Unity Day. Jane, get the grenades.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Would anyone be interested in a reading thread? I’ve been reading a lot during lockdown and I wonder what other people are reading.

Various differing articles online about assorted material is about all I can read any more. Have a couple of decent books here but no sooner than I start reading, distraction or slumber nails me.

The most recent thing, hm, probably be some Michael Connelly and I stopped reading it. Bad. The day was in places. Sorry, those are not sentences on their own but accordingly to him and his editing crew, they are. And that jarred me away from reading otherwise well-told stories.

"How can this f***er write like this an earn millions? Gah!"

I had the same response when Lustbader compared a lady to a 747 jet plane, and not really in a way that made either sound appealing. Something to extent of "she was broad like the jet she was boarding, her vastness would help her through this." I'm paraphrasing from the memory of it but it is still quite repulsive.

So I'm not reading a lot of contemporary stuff. Even Poppy Z. Brite left me with a bad taste for stories. She did a very formula-driven homosexual coming of age story with elements of paranormal crap going on. It just well fell flat.

"Oh Romeo, we are terribly doomed, gay lovers. We shall perish at the hands of wicked vampires, or be driven insane by ghosts."

"Ah, be still my Juilette. I have the magic key to unlock our bonds. We can then run a restaurant!"

Those are not actual lines from the story. They are though what was bludgeoned into reader's heads as the main thematic sentiments of the story.

Yeah, cue the crickets. Big hint, not every gay man wants to be a stereotypical nurse, or cook. I had military service with a few gay men that make the straightest Rambo look like pussies clamoring for mommy's sweet embrace. Macho much? Nah, just pure stud warriors afraid of nothing. And at the same time the best person you want to take care of you in a bad situation because they are so human. That isn't written in a sexual sense either.

Last edited:

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Where did you see this?

It was on a news feed, but I don't remember exactly where. Due to where I'm at we're a bit behind the US. The last season I just watched ended with Carrie in Moscow. Is that the last season to date?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It was on a news feed, but I don't remember exactly where. Due to where I'm at we're a bit behind the US. The last season I just watched ended with Carrie in Moscow. Is that the last season to date?

Yes, the final Season was #8 which basically just aired recently in the beginning of the year. I did see a rumor about a possible return but just the writer not saying a definite NO to it.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Horus Hersey series is good for any warhammer fans ..it’s Shared and written by a few different authors throughout the series (there’s a lot of books) total geek out fest for any Sci-fi buffs out there

if anyone is into steampunk/gothic 40k will be right up your street the lore is very immersive, the artwork alone is staggering

Horus himself

View attachment 162518

I got a Neil Gaiman vibe from that. Actually, plus another author whose name escapes me now, but that I read about 15 years ago. Yep, losing my marbles in lockdown! Thanks, KP. :hug:

Edit: I was thinking of Clive Barker’s book Cabal. Loved it.

Last edited:

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Homeland is good although the snarl thing Carrie does every few sentences grates on me a little

24 back in the day I loved, my wife and I used to gorge on the box sets of that, got a bit samey in the end but still enjoyed it...Kiefa Sutherland was bad ass

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I can't believe that no one has mentioned Law & Order yet! Haven't cared for any of the offshoots, but the original was great.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I started a reading thread, you guys. Please let me know what y’all are reading now. <3

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Currently watching Mr. Robot thoroughly enjoying it just started on season 3, well worth a watch

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Currently watching Mr. Robot thoroughly enjoying it just started on season 3, well worth a watch

I haven't watched the last season, but I thoroughly enjoyed the other seasons that I did watch. Like Rami Malek anyway.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I haven't watched the last season, but I thoroughly enjoyed the other seasons that I did watch. Like Rami Malek anyway.

yeah agree he really plays those sort of parts well, the Pacific and Bohemian Rhapsody come to mind

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Local programing here has some great oldies on the air. Perry Mason is twice a day. Also the great westerns of the time, The Rifleman, Bonanza, Wagon Train every afternoon.

VU Sponsors