What am i doing wrong???

Discussion in 'What are electronic cigarettes?' started by corehevico, Apr 4, 2017.

1. corehevico

corehevico New Member

Blog Posts:
    So i have been vaping for about 12 weeks, cigarette free 10 weeks.
    The problem is i go through coils really fast. If i am lucky a coil will last 5 or 6 days. My set up is a istick power max 80w with a vengeance tank that i run at 35w. with juices 60vg 40pg. when you factor in the cost of juice and coils i am spending nearly as much as i would on smokes.
    Anyone have insight as to what i am screwing up!!!

2. Khassy

Khassy Gold Contributor

Blog Posts:
    How much are you using it? The more you use it, the faster it will burn out.

3. inspects

inspects Squonkamaniac Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    You could do some research, build your own coils on a different atty, and make your own juice....doing both brings the cost of vaping down to about nill.

MyMagicMist and pulsevape like this.
  4. corehevico

corehevico New Member

Blog Posts:
    Using on breaks at work, commuting to and from work and with coffees in the evening. Not chain vaping. One other thing is that i get quite a bit of residue (unburnt juice) and needs to be constantly cleared up in order to enjoy the juice.
    don't really have time to DIY

5. Mykreign

Mykreign Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    I could never get coils to last when I used to use them. Couple things that come to mind are...
    1. Juice has too much sweetener.
    2. Running coil above recommended wattage.
    3. Make sure to prime the coil so you don't fire on a dry coil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy likes this.
  6. Khassy

Khassy Gold Contributor

Blog Posts:
    When I first started, I was burning through them really fast. Then I started using 70/30 or (preferably) 50/50 juice and being careful about not spilling juice in the wrong tube, and they started lasting longer. The ones I have in my tanks now have lasted 6 weeks thus far.

MyMagicMist likes this.
  7. Mykreign

Blog Posts:
    Also the residue you're talking about. Do you mean juice is leaking? U could try a higher VG liquid or turn up your watts a bit. (If your coil can go higher)

8. corehevico

corehevico New Member

Blog Posts:
    vengeance 0.2 are capable of 80w
    will raise wattage to see if residue clears up
    the juice i use is 60-40

9. cvcrcr99

cvcrcr99 Bronze Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    5-6 days is a little short on time frame. Possible solution would be to turn up the wattage a bit. if you are vaping at 35w on a coil that is capable of 80w, maybe the coil isn't getting hot enough causing the residue. I agree with an above poster about sweeteners. Personally, DIY coils aren't that bad or time consuming. I've moved over to RTAs. Basically a tank with a DIY coil and wicking. Much cheaper and better flavor. Takes some time to get used to building but isn't too difficult. You could always buy a cheap RTA to practice on while you have the tank as a daily, too.

10. corehevico

corehevico New Member

Blog Posts:
    sweetener was an issue initially - switched juice but still killing coils.
    never have gone above recommended wattage
    always always always primed and waited for coils to wick.

11. corehevico

corehevico New Member

Blog Posts:
    can you recommend an RTA that is newbie friendly.......
    not a cloud chaser..... i do wanna taste my juice........ nicotine is important as i recently quit smoking......
    looking for an inexpensive RTA that is large enough for my not so nimble hands can work with.

12. VapeMate

VapeMate New Member

Blog Posts:
    i think this is a nice and good rta kit and great for tasting, has a big tank(6ml) + spare tank, airflow control, i guess it works up to 60watts
    Authentic GeekVape Griffin 25 6ml RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer

MyMagicMist and Mykreign like this.
  13. Mykreign

Blog Posts:
    I've had the griffin 25 mini for a long time now. It's so good I never have the urge to buy another tank.

MyMagicMist likes this.
  14. Rabbit Slayer

Rabbit Slayer Silver Contributor ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    I use a digiflavor siren(single coil) as my MTL rebuildable...only one coil to deal with so building on it isn't hard and wicking is easy, and it has very good flavor.

MyMagicMist likes this.
  15. eSMOKA

eSMOKA Previously toolsavvy Bronze Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    If you don't have the interest or time for coil building, then I would suggest you buy another tank from another brand and see how that works for you in terms of how long those coils last. Unless your COV Vengeance tank takes coils from another brand, then try that brand instead. At least this way you can tell if it's the COV coils or not.

Also, darker juices kill coils faster just like sweet juices. By dark, I mean iced tea dark. If the darkness of the juice is even just 50% the darkness of iced tea, it doesn't seem to affect my coils. But different coil heads will have different outcomes.

I can go over a month on a Kanger Toptank with an SSOCC coil if the juice is not too sweet and not dark. But if it's sweet or dark then I'm luck to get 5 days out of it. But I also only vape at 8W max.

Lastly, sorry to hear you fell for the "vaping is cheaper" lie. If you're buying factory coils and vaping expensive designer juice, that's expensive depending on how much you vape. Vaping is like cigarettes and everything else. The more you are willing to do yourself, the cheaper it is. The less you are willing to do yourself, the more expensive it is. Vaping is best to switch to for getting off of cigs, not for saving money.

However, if money is extremely tight and your vaping is really that big of a strain on your finances, to be honest, quitting is the only thing that will cure that unless you are willing to DIY everything.

That said, if you are willing to learn making your own coils and wicking your own tanks, then I would say the Kangertech Toptank Mini or Subtank Mini is the easiest route. You can use SSOCC factory coils on them but they also come with an RTA deck and those decks are by far the easiest decks to coil and wick IMHO (horizontal coil, not as easy for vertical coils IMHO). I like these tanks because you can use them as a regular tank with factory coils or as an RTA. Whichever floats your boat.

16. MyMagicMist

MyMagicMist Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    I agree with all of the above, it all seems quite good advice.

I somewhat disagree yet do comprehend your point and might flex on
    disagreeing a bit. As you point out to some degree it is in what you do
    for yourself. That noted I know that smoking tobacco cigarettes I would
    spend over 15 thousand dollars per year The last two years with vaping,
    I have only spent around 400 dollars, and am now at a point I'll likely
    spend 200 dollars per two years.

Granted, I build my own coils now and very nearly DIY on juice. Still.
    I am saving hand over fist in direct up front cost. The residual back
    end cost, or lacking of it for vaping reducing risks? That's priceless.
    :)

17. MyMagicMist

MyMagicMist Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    If and/or when you decide to switch from RTA to RDA you can then use the
    Velocity style decks if you use a Griffin 25. It is the same basic build deck.
    I have a few Velocity style decks used for squonking at times, although
    of late it seems I'm remaining a Goon, Gus. :)

18. Whitesoxfan2579

Whitesoxfan2579 Gold Contributor ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    I change mine every two weeks in my main device and just changed coils in my two backups that have been in service four months.