Become a Patron!

What am i doing wrong?

Hi,
Im relatively new to vaping. Started a few months back with an Aspire CF 900 mah battery and a k1 clearomiser. After trying a bunch of liquids I've settled for the Black note Sonata 6mg. I truly love that liquid and would take that over an analog any day.

The only down side of the above set up was the charging the battery 2-3 times a day, filling liquid 3-4 times a day. So i got a cool fire IV and an iSub tank with 0.5 ohm ss coil with a recommended wattage of 30-60w. the 6mg liquid was way too harsh so i got the 3mg liquid. The 3 mg liquid tasted horrible like a sweet burnt curry at recommended wattage of 30w. I had seeped the coil then changed a few coils, tried another liquid -Halo tribeca and that tasted just fine. With a new coil in place I ran it at around 15-18 watts and now it makes a lot of smoke, but there hardly any flavour and certainly nothing like the CF900-K1 set up.

So thinking that the mistake i made is not sticking to a MTL tank i got the Nautilus tank and 1.8 ohm clapton coils. Used both 6mg and 3mg liquid. 6 mg was still to strong (coughing). 3mg liquid: i started at 7watts and bumped upto 15watts with .05 w increments (suggested wattage for this coil os 13-16w). At the lower 7-10 wattage i was just sucking raw juice, almost no cloud, gurgling, leaking. Above 10 watt the sweet burnt curry taste suddenly appeared that got increasingly prominent as i approached 15w. The air hole was at smallest opening throughout.

I just can't replicate the CF-900-K1 set up. The magic number should have been around 9.5-10 watts on the cool fire and Nautilus (CF900-k1 is 4.2v with 1.8ohm coil=9.8 watts) but didn't work.

Can anyone tell me what i may be doing wrong? Appreciate your help!!

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You can't replace the clearomizer with a real tank and expect to have the same experience. A clearomizer/coil is designed to have a very tight airflow the Natulas not so much the Isub tank not at all. With the air flow almost closed your probably overheating the coil allowing it to burn. When it burns once it's toast and will always taste burnt, trash it.
Stop trying to replace your old set up and learn to enjoy the one your with now with or go back to the old one, there not and never will be the same.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You could get another CF-900, or several more, so you wouldn't have to wait on a recharge. Just grab a fresh one, and vape on.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok you are not doing anything wrong
here's the deal
you k1 was using a simple micro coil form what I can tell
then you went to some dual coil tank in teh isub
and then then nautalis had clapton coils which are fancy coils

each type of coil has its sweet spot for wattage and airflow - regardless of the resistance
then even using the same juice - it will taste different on each coil

my guess is that juice which tasted fine on the K1, you were not getting teh full flavor profile on the K1. Switching to the other tanks you encountered 2 issues.
1 getting more of the flavor profile - which you may not like at all
and
2. airflow issues were causing the coil or cotton to burn because both those coils require more airflow to work well then the K1 coil requires.
The nautalis giving you a mouthful of juice shows that that coil needs more power then what you were giving it. The coil was soaking up the juice that coil can vaporize in seconds, but you were not giving it its optimal wattage so it was not vaporizing all the juice it had and you sucked it up the chimney.

The isub has 1.2 and 2.0 ohm coils similar to the k1 you could try
and then use that to get used to more airflow
or get the standard nautilus orginal single coil 1.6 or 1.8 coils and give it a try that way

Thank you all very much for the advice.

This is the update on what i've tried to do differently:
1. I usually started from a very low wattage (7W) and tried to work my way up. As MattP 169 suggested this probably flooded the coil and the juice came up the chimney. Once flooded, even with a high enough wattage there was a lot of gurgling, sputtering and i kept increasing the wattage until the coil burned up. I changed the coil, increased the airflow and started at 13.5 W. The flavour and clouds are adequate (though not as good as the K1) but I'm now sure that a 1.6 coil will remedy this. Thanks a ton for this insight.

2. Also realised another problem. Im in Mumbai, India where the summer temperatures are regularly over 30C/90F (even at night) and most places I'm in are air-conditioned. When I stepped out to vape there would be condensation and the juice leaked to the chamber below the coil and flooded. I noticed this several times and had to clean the chamber and wipe the bottom of the coil each time. I now keep the Nautilus tank turned upside down and avoid bringing it to an air-conditioned room when possible. Juice not leaking anymore and at 13.5 W life is good.

Also thanks Gakudzu for the out of the box solution!!

VU Sponsors