Become a Patron!

What are 'CL' coils? Is it a standardised coil?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello everyone, a quick question.

I recently got the VTC mini, and got some CL heads included, and also got some of the rebuildable CLR heads.

I was reading a magazine I got from a totally wicked order, and it mentioned the CL coils.

The way they was talking, it was as if it fits many tanks. So I was wondering- are CL coils becoming a standard coil for different tanks?

As if so, this would be great, all tanks taking the same coils, you wouldn't have to have loads of different coils for different tanks, as to be honest the only tanks I have that are not rebuildable and take coils in this manner is the Uwell crown and the tank that come with the VTC mini.

So, am I right and manufacturers are standardizing coils, if not what doe the 'CL' stand for?

Thanks everyone, Conan.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello everyone, a quick question.

I recently got the VTC mini, and got some CL heads included, and also got some of the rebuildable CLR heads.

I was reading a magazine I got from a totally wicked order, and it mentioned the CL coils.

The way they was talking, it was as if it fits many tanks. So I was wondering- are CL coils becoming a standard coil for different tanks?

As if so, this would be great, all tanks taking the same coils, you wouldn't have to have loads of different coils for different tanks, as to be honest the only tanks I have that are not rebuildable and take coils in this manner is the Uwell crown and the tank that come with the VTC mini.

So, am I right and manufacturers are standardizing coils, if not what doe the 'CL' stand for?

Thanks everyone, Conan.
Nope they only work in the ego mega tank (that comes with the VTC and the VT) as far as I know. The CL coils have tiny wicking holes, so generally people prefer the rebuildable CLR coils. But I don't know what 'CL' stands for!

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If not, could someone be kind enough to give me a list of the popular tanks, and what coils actually fit in them? Like I know some tanks can take cheaper coils from a different manufacturer for example the perform just as well.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nope they only work in the ego mega tank (that comes with the VTC and the VT) as far as I know. The CL coils have tiny wicking holes, so generally people prefer the rebuildable CLR coils. But I don't know what 'CL' stands for!
Ahh fair enough then, I thought we could of been reaching a standardized coil stage, which would be pretty cool.

My above question still stands if someone could be kind enough, for example do any other coils fit the uwell crown or other popular tank that takes coils?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ahh fair enough then, I thought we could of been reaching a standardized coil stage, which would be pretty cool.

My above question still stands if someone could be kind enough, for example do any other coils fit the uwell crown or other popular tank that takes coils?
Only the Crown coils fit the Crown. But someone made up a list somewhere on the forum that shows all the differerent tanks that take Atlantis coils!

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK, this is bloody odd. I recoiled one with TI the way that they come, and it read atomizer short. I rewired it without clipping the wire to the side, letting it hang loose, and it works fine. Weird.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK couldn't be bothered last night, but just now I rebuilt one with TI, as last night it was showing "atomizer short". I thought this is very aneamic-then realised I had not turned the lock off to lock the new resistance in lol. Chucking clouds great now, with the correct rebuilding method. 26 gauge TI 6 or so wraps 0.33 Ohms 2MM ID.

I want to try stainless steel-but can only find 26 gauge in the UK, I want some 28 as its a tad too low I think to rebuild-I may try though as it might not be after all. I have dremelled in a T for Titanium, an N for nickel, and I was going for the S that the nazis used as it was easiest to cut, but couldnt get it small enough so a diagonal line means SS lol.

How long do these rebuildable heads last? Indefinitely like RBA's or will they need occasional replacement of the actual CLR head.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is it me or do the specs to that tank (Morph) not say what type coil adapters are included?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Tyger was talking about that one on Mod Envy last night. I think she quite liked it. That's a really great move to have something like that available.
I think I might have to get one of them. Eciggity, thats US yeah? Pay a bit more on postage probably but will probably work out the same price due to the pound/dollar difference. Great idea there.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Without posts, and worse... screws, to get cocked up, the only "consumable" would be toasting the insulator.
Ahh thats pretty cool then. At least they should last a while. Missus forgot her vape today, so I let her use the Evic vt mini. I will have to make sure she doesn't 'accidently' take it home tomorrow lol.

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK couldn't be bothered last night, but just now I rebuilt one with TI, as last night it was showing "atomizer short". I thought this is very aneamic-then realised I had not turned the lock off to lock the new resistance in lol. Chucking clouds great now, with the correct rebuilding method. 26 gauge TI 6 or so wraps 0.33 Ohms 2MM ID.

I want to try stainless steel-but can only find 26 gauge in the UK, I want some 28 as its a tad too low I think to rebuild-I may try though as it might not be after all. I have dremelled in a T for Titanium, an N for nickel, and I was going for the S that the nazis used as it was easiest to cut, but couldnt get it small enough so a diagonal line means SS lol.

How long do these rebuildable heads last? Indefinitely like RBA's or will they need occasional replacement of the actual CLR head.

I don't like building low ohm coils either, but I can say from experience that 26 gauge stainless steel is the best gauge for CLR heads, even if you prefer a cool vape. 28 gauge SS heats up really fast, too fast for my tastes, and the coils usually come out a tad too high for temp control on the VTC. Even in power mode at low watts (14-18) the larger 26 gauge wire will give a smoother, better tasting vape over 28 gauge SS. My 26g SS coils always come out right around .52 ohms in a CLR head.

I used one specific CLR head for just over two months and it's still working like new. I have a few more with different builds in them but that first CLR head that I opened has gone through at least 60 tanks worth of juice. I don't know how long the heads actually last. Can't seem to kill one.

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
I don't like building low ohm coils either, but I can say from experience that 26 gauge stainless steel is the best gauge for CLR heads, even if you prefer a cool vape. 28 gauge SS heats up really fast, too fast for my tastes, and the coils usually come out a tad too high for temp control on the VTC. Even in power mode at low watts (14-18) the larger 26 gauge wire will give a smoother, better tasting vape over 28 gauge SS. My 26g SS coils always come out right around .52 ohms in a CLR head.

I used one specific CLR head for just over two months and it's still working like new. I have a few more with different builds in them but that first CLR head that I opened has gone through at least 60 tanks worth of juice. I don't know how long the heads actually last. Can't seem to kill one.
60 Tanks of juice ... I really gotta get some of those CLR coils! No one around here carries them though ... :(

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With the two threaded top rings instead of some cap with an 0-ring... there isn't even that to get chewed up over time.

I read somewhere (you?) that the gold colored bottom pin from the TC CLs is a better conductor.
I don't know the materials so I couldn't even guess, but I'll probably snag the two from the included ones for my two K CLRs.
I'm not a fan of the threaded top piece. It can sometimes unscrew from the head and stay in the tank. It isn't much of an issue though.

The gold pins aren't better because of conductivity, they just have much better airflow than the 1 ohm CLR head pins. If all you can find are 1 ohm CLR heads they will have much less airflow. The hole in the positive pin is teeny tiny on those. If you prefer wide open airflow, you will need to swap out the bottom pin. The 0.5 ohm CLR heads are fine as they have a full sized airflow hole in the pin.

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the heads up about Mike's review. Just watched it. The tank seems a little quieter than the old tank judging by the video. Good point, I'd also like to know how the airflow compares to the mega tank. It's a little surprising to hear that the tank might be made out of aluminium. The threads would be really soft. If it is aluminium I'll probably skip getting it.

VU Sponsors