Become a Patron!

What are the pros and cons of VG vs PG Nic base

MTLian

Member For 4 Years
Hello,

So I'm gonna order some Nic from the only supplier I know of in Canada (first choice vapour) for 30$ for 120 mL. Its not crazy expensive but not cheap either.

I have the choice between PG/VG or 50/50 all for the same price. I plan on starting with 70/30 VG/PG mixes but I might eventually try to make 100% VG mixes.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to PG vs VG base for the Nic? Is PG easier to mix properly?

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I use straight PG base for my Nic. But there are those that have a PG intolerance, so they use the VG.

You'll find that most of your mixes will come in around 25pg/75vg if you use 100% PG base for your Nic.

There will be a slight difference, depending on your Nic levels and any dilutions you do after you receive your Nic.

MTLian

Member For 4 Years
I use straight PG base for my Nic. But there are those that have a PG intolerance, so they use the VG.

You'll find that most of your mixes will come in around 25pg/75vg if you use 100% PG base for your Nic.

There will be a slight difference, depending on your Nic levels and any dilutions you do after you receive your Nic.
I don't get it. If you use a recipe calculator, doesn't it automatically account for the Nic base? I mean, if I use 1 mL
of PG Nic base and want a total of 10 mLs of PG, I could just add 9mLs of PG. I don't understand how the choice of base for my Nic would have an effect on the pg/VG ratio.

What I want to know is, why chose one over the other. Aside from intolerance to PG, is there any reason to not get VG? Do they both mix equally well? Could one affect the flavor more than the other?

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I don't get it. If you use a recipe calculator, doesn't it automatically account for the Nic base? I mean, if I use 1 mL
of PG Nic base and want a total of 10 mLs of PG, I could just add 9mLs of PG. I don't understand how the choice of base for my Nic would have an effect on the pg/VG ratio.

What I want to know is, why chose one over the other. Aside from intolerance to PG, is there any reason to not get VG? Do they both mix equally well? Could one affect the flavor more than the other?

PG is supposed to carry flavors better. PG gives more of a throat hit, while VG produces more clouds. VG also is slow to wick. Some people add Vodka or distilled water to thin it out.

And your calculations didn't include flavorings, which are typically PG.

You can order PG or VG based Nic, in any strength you want. I get 100mg/ml PG, then reduce it to 24mg/ml. It's further reduced in my mix to 3mg/ml.

This is what a typical juice I mix looks like on the calculator. If you simply change the numbers and the base, you'll notice how it effects ratios.

When I make my reduction from 100mg to 24mg, I use PG for that reduction. Then VG when I mix my juices.

juiceONE.jpg juiceTWO.jpg

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VG is harder to mix and to work with, because it's much thicker. Unless you're using high flavoring percentages or high nic it's probably easier to work with in PG. My nic is 100mg/ml in PG, and because I only vape 3mg and generally use about 8% total flavoring, I can get 90% VG mixes if I need to.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
most people will tell you that PG carries flavor better, but you will get DIYers who disagree with that...I vape high VG juices 60-88% so using an all VG nic bse allows me to use more flavorings and still stay below 15% pg...VG gives a denser vape an adds to the sensual pleasure of vaping,and I'm sensitive to Pg

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Every single batch no matter where I purchased it of PG unflavored nic oxidized at a much faster rate that VG base. That includes what I keep in the freezer. I havent had a single batch go peppery on me since switching. It still slowly turns darker over time but at a much, much slower rate. I just can not take that peppery taste it really wrecks my mixes.

PG can also cause humans as well as pets to have allergic reactions. My cat breaks out in wicked bumps if I vape higher PG mixes in the house so I went more VG heavy.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
One thing about using VG based nic is you need to make sure you mix/shake it well before decanting to smaller storage bottles and before adding to your mix.. The nicotine itself is thinner than the VG and separates. This will create hot pockets if not shaken well so you could get super high nicotine in one batch and next to none in another.

MTLian

Member For 4 Years
Thanks superjeep, AmandaD, PulseVape and PuffPuffPass for your great insight!

I will be making max 3mg Nic. Even 3mg feels a bit much since I've been off the cancer sticks for about 2+ years. I definitely don't want a peppery taste and unfortunately, I must buy 120ml since that's the smallest bottle I could find in Canada.

I didn't consider that most flavourings are PG based... That might be a good reason to go VG. Since I will be dealing with very low concentrations of Nic, would the thicker VG Nic be able to mix well with my juice?

Right now I'm leaning towards a VG base especially since I want to try my hand at high VG blends to see how I like it compared to mixes with 30% PG

Last edited:

San Miguel

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I plan on starting with 70/30 VG/PG mixes but I might eventually try to make 100% VG mixes.

I don't think you will ever be able to mix any juice that is 100% VG ... Almost all the flavoring that is available is PG based (unless you plan on making unflavored 100% VG juice)

MTLian

Member For 4 Years
Sorry, you are right! I meant max VG.

Although i'm not sure how hard it is to mix with VG base Nic, I want it to remain fresh as long as possible and if I get PG based, I figure it's just another substance to bring down the ratio of VG pg I might attempt in my experimentation!

MTLian

Member For 4 Years
One thing about using VG based nic is you need to make sure you mix/shake it well before decanting to smaller storage bottles and before adding to your mix.. The nicotine itself is thinner than the VG and separates. This will create hot pockets if not shaken well so you could get super high nicotine in one batch and next to none in another.

Great tip! It's important that I can control the amount of Nic, even if simply for the sake of safety. Thanks to everyone On this board for your tips! I owe you all a bottle of e juice... Or a beer :) beer flavoured ejuice maybe?

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Great tip! It's important that I can control the amount of Nic, even if simply for the sake of safety. Thanks to everyone On this board for your tips! I owe you all a bottle of e juice... Or a beer :) beer flavoured ejuice maybe?
LOL. FA Joy tastes like beer to some people. Myself included.

HeavyHauler

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks superjeep, AmandaD, PulseVape and PuffPuffPass for your great insight!

I will be making max 3mg Nic. Even 3mg feels a bit much since I've been off the cancer sticks for about 2+ years. I definitely don't want a peppery taste and unfortunately, I must buy 120ml since that's the smallest bottle I could find in Canada.

I didn't consider that most flavourings are PG based... That might be a good reason to go VG. Since I will be dealing with very low concentrations of Nic, would the thicker VG Nic be able to mix well with my juice?

Right now I'm leaning towards a VG base especially since I want to try my hand at high VG blends to see how I like it compared to mixes with 30% PG

This is my first post here, I'm a HEAVY lurker and have been for quite some time.

But earlier this week, I took the plunge. I ordered the 100mg/ml Nic in VG from First Choice Vapor too. I too am from Canada, Manitoba to be exact. I wanted to order all my supplies through Canadian vendors, especially the nicotine.

I'm still waiting on both of my orders to come in, they should both be in some time next week. It takes a bit more time for things to come up my way, I live in the northern part of the woods, up here.

I've ordered lots of pre-made juices through Fat Panda, but was interested in DIY juice; as I love any DIY type things.

I prefer my juices at 6mg 30/70 PG/VG or at max VG. I use a Sigelei 150w, with a FreemaX Starre atty. The juices I vape tend to work very well with my set up. I have even use 10/90 PG/VG Theravape Comp Sauce with my set up, it worked well and didn't gunk up my coils too badly.

I've been off of cigarettes (2 packs day/16 years-I'm 26), for 2 months now; thanks to vaping and to my Dad (3-4packs a day/30+years), who also has been cigarette free for about as long as I.

I love VG heavy blends and often fill up any space I'm in with clouds; I get pretty good flavours too! I vaped a 0mg 100% PG Heavenly Vanilla mix and it tasted the same and blew out the same amount of clouds, when compared to my 30/70's or max VG's.

Anyway, good luck on your DIY journey man!

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
When it comes to mixing with them, as long as you account for the PG/VG in the nicotine and flavoring, then it wont have any effect on the final ratio of the liquid your making.

It's kind of a toss up as to what side you prefer and finding a balance between the two.
PG gives throat hit, but yields very little vaper. People can be allergic to PG
VG gives no throat hit, but provides denser vaper. Its possible to be allergic to VG, but very rare.

So, why would somebody choose VG for nic? Personal preference
-Could be allergic to PG
-Might not like the throat hit PG gives
-might be trying for max VG possible because they like the dense vaper (either for clouds or just the feel)
-if they don't buy a strong nic concentration, then a PG base could have a pretty big effect on the final ratio (ie, buying 30mg/ml vs 100mg/ml)

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For what it's worth, I've purchased at least four liters of 100mg nic liquid, all of which were VG. Advanced mixologists advise switching to PG but I knew better. In reality, I was being too dense to seethe advantage of ordering high-test nic in a PG base. I don't have an intolerance to PG, just a preference for VG. Once mixed down, the percentage of PG is tiny and VG liquid is more difficult to insure incorporation of the nicotine in the base due to the syrupy viscosity and, once mixed with flavorings, increases the challenge of a solid dispersion of the ingredients. It helps to heat everything before and after it's mixed and there's an extra step I could easily avoid.

I realize I'm a guy who uses 12 words when two would do and for that I apologize. The bottom line is that if allergies aren't an issue, buy nicotine in a PG base. Doing so will make the mixing process easier. :)

HeavyHauler

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For what it's worth, I've purchased at least four liters of 100mg nic liquid, all of which were VG. Advanced mixologists advise switching to PG but I knew better. In reality, I was being too dense to seethe advantage of ordering high-test nic in a PG base. I don't have an intolerance to PG, just a preference for VG. Once mixed down, the percentage of PG is tiny and VG liquid is more difficult to insure incorporation of the nicotine in the base due to the syrupy viscosity and, once mixed with flavorings, increases the challenge of a solid dispersion of the ingredients. It helps to heat everything before and after it's mixed and there's an extra step I could easily avoid.

I realize I'm a guy who uses 12 words when two would do and for that I apologize. The bottom line is that if allergies aren't an issue, buy nicotine in a PG base. Doing so will make the mixing process easier. :)

Solid advice. I'll be taking this route, the next time I order nic.

Bucky205

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I like the VG based NIC, most of the flavoring is pg based. I like my juice normally 80/20 VG/PG. Most of my juice contains 15-20 % flavoring. Makes it harder to stay at that ratio of 80/20 if my NIC is PG based. My standard is 100 mg NIC in a VG base. If I need something like a 60/40, it is easier just to add a little PG

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

^THIS^

PG base has the most going for it.

The only reason to use a VG base is for those that want or need the highest VG ratio in their mix.

Model_A_Ford

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Does one store better than the other?

I have h
eard claims on both sides, so I have no idea what to believe.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I didn't know what to order. I was vaping 50/50 for the first couple years till a year ago when I began DIY I switched to 60/40 for more vapor and cause I could change but my wife still vapes 50/50. So the most logical choice I thought would get liter 100mg 50/50 nic to keep everything simple when mixing.
I have no allergies to either base so KISS method was my way of thinking.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I didn't know what to order. I was vaping 50/50 for the first couple years till a year ago when I began DIY I switched to 60/40 for more vapor and cause I could change but my wife still vapes 50/50. So the most logical choice I thought would get liter 100mg 50/50 nic to keep everything simple when mixing.
I have no allergies to either base so KISS method was my way of thinking.

Nothing wrong with KISS and there is no wrong or right or better ways to do things. The best way is always the way that works best for you.

HeavyHauler

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My 100mg/120ml Nicotine from First Choice Vapor has come in!

Now, just to wait for my flavours/kit from Fusion Flavours (Note: I'll be switching flavour suppliers, I'll be going to ecigexpress or diy-ejuice.com).

I'm EXCITED!

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have 5 years of DIY experience that tells me VG lasts much longer in the freezer than PG. Every long term PG nic storage has always ended in peppery/darkening nic and this is from multiple vendors. I had a bottle of PG and Vg from the same place in the freezer and watched the PG darken faster than the VG. Maybe I have just been unlucky but I have had zero issues since switching to VG base.

Either way larger bottles really should be split into smaller 60-120 ml bottles so its not being taken out to often.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Difference?
None that matter imo.

However, if you keep your nic in the freezer....

VG based nic HAS to warm up before you can use it. You'll never get it to draw into a syringe cold. PG however, you can draw into a syringe straight from the freezer.

This is the advantage other than max vg usage.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What characteristics does PG have that would make it last longer in a freezer then VG?

VG gets thicker when put in the freezer, so will reduce the movement of oxygen and thus reduce the speed of oxidation.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What characteristics does PG have that would make it last longer in a freezer then VG?

It's thinner, more so at freezer temps.

VG gets thicker when put in the freezer, so will reduce the movement of oxygen and thus reduce the speed of oxidation.

The reduction of movement means that air bubbles are trapped much longer. That means there is more surface area for O2 to mingle with nicotine. Air bubbles in PG will more readily float to the surface so the only O2 in contact with the base is at the surface. Air bubbles in cold VG will remain trapped much longer, so there is contact at the surface and with each bubble.

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have 5 years of DIY experience that tells me VG lasts much longer in the freezer than PG. Every long term PG nic storage has always ended in peppery/darkening nic and this is from multiple vendors. I had a bottle of PG and Vg from the same place in the freezer and watched the PG darken faster than the VG. Maybe I have just been unlucky but I have had zero issues since switching to VG base.
Interesting. My experience has been the exact opposite. VG nic always seems to take on a stronger taste and smell than the PG based nic that I've had. "Long term" for me is only 28 months, so you've got me on that one.

Either way larger bottles really should be split into smaller 60-120 ml bottles so its not being taken out to often.
100% agree.
It's thinner, more so at freezer temps.
The reduction of movement means that air bubbles are trapped much longer. That means there is more surface area for O2 to mingle with nicotine. Air bubbles in PG will more readily float to the surface so the only O2 in contact with the base is at the surface. Air bubbles in cold VG will remain trapped much longer, so there is contact at the surface and with each bubble.
My thoughts exactly. All those little spheres of oxygen have an incredible amount of surface area. With PG, the entire surface exposed to O2 is the area of the bottom of the bubble under the cap. Much less exposure to O2.

None of the sub-ohmers I know go over 3 mg anyway. In a 30 ml bottle, that is only 1 ml. You can use 19 ml of PG flavor, and still be at 20/80.

HeavyHauler

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use 6mg, with my sub set up and I'll blow clouds all day/night long; however, I'm thinking of making the switch to 3mg with tonight's mix.

I've vaped a few 3mg brand brews, and found them to hit the spot pretty good; not much different than 6mg's. At least in my experience.

But I'm going to give it a go tonight, @MD_Boater . Thanks for indirectly giving me the insight to try my own brew at 3mg! :)

VU Sponsors