What are these coils?

32bitlord

TPD Compliant
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey guys!
My buddy gave me a baggy full of coils but I have no idea what they are. The only thing that the sticker says on the bag is;
SS316L 0.36ohm
0.3*0.8 flat, wrapped 32 GA

They kinda look like fused claptons but my eyes are kind of crap and I can't make out the details.

092e3e0cec85ad88110706d2b0307100.jpg

Sent from my ZX Spectrum using Tapatalk Pro

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey guys!
My buddy gave me a baggy full of coils but I have no idea what they are. The only thing that the sticker says on the bag is;
SS316L 0.36ohm

They kinda look like fused claptons but my eyes are kind of crap and I can't make out the details.

092e3e0cec85ad88110706d2b0307100.jpg

I put on both pairs of my "old man glasses and expanded the screen. I believe you're right. Fused claptons.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
They are a variant of a framed staple if the description is accurate.

Remove some of the outer wrap and see if there is any ribbon in it. If there is-how the Ribbon is laid, is there one piece of thick ribbon or multiple pieces? Is the ribbon laid flat or stood vertically side by side?

If theres no ribbon wire and only 2 round wire cores its a fused clapton

32bitlord

TPD Compliant
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I put on both pairs of my "old man glasses and expanded the screen. I believe you're right. Fused claptons.

I thought so but I didn't understand the label and was unsure whether they had 2 or 3 cores.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ray is the resident coil god. Please listen to him and disregard what I said! :(

And I apologize for the wrong info.

32bitlord

TPD Compliant
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
They are a variant of a framed staple if the description is accurate.

Remove some of the outer wrap and see if there is any ribbon in it. If there is-how the Ribbon is laid, is there one piece of thick ribbon or multiple pieces? Is the ribbon laid flat or stood vertically side by side?

If theres no ribbon wire and only 2 round wire cores its a fused clapton

It's hard to make out with my eyes but I can definitely see a ribbon inside, in fact that is the only thing I can see inside. Can't see any cores other than the ribbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
It's hard to make out with my eyes but I can definitely see a ribbon inside, in fact that is the only thing I can see inside. Can't see any cores other than the ribbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If its all Ribbon thats claptoned its a Staple Coil ;)

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon

They're a single piece of 0.3x0.8mm flat/ribbon wire wrapped with 32g wire. Basically a flat Clapton coil. But, the thing with these types of coils is that they take into account the entire uninstalled lead length when they calculate the resistance. In actual use they'll be closer to about 0.31Ω per coil.

VU Sponsors