nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Taco lasagna. Like a 3 layer burrito casserole.
51c3853ed886b52c7aeede226610169f.jpg

I agree, that looks seriously yummy. Y'all are killin me.

When I make chili and there are leftovers, I like to make a layer casserole of (1) crushed Fritos on the bottom, (2) the leftover chili, and (3) a whole bunch of Mexican blend shredded cheese. Y'all remember Chi Chi's, I think? Chi Chi's used to have something similar, that's where the idea came from. I think they called it Chili Pie or something like.

Blop of sour cream on top, once it's dished up on the plate. Yum!

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree, that looks seriously yummy. Y'all are killin me.

When I make chili and there are leftovers, I like to make a layer casserole of (1) crushed Fritos on the bottom, (2) the leftover chili, and (3) a whole bunch of Mexican blend shredded cheese. Y'all remember Chi Chi's, I think? Chi Chi's used to have something similar, that's where the idea came from. I think they called it Chili Pie or something like.

Blop of sour cream on top, once it's dished up on the plate. Yum!
Chilli pie. Mmm Mmm. Was some good stuff

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Did you just use sea salt? I’m thinking of fermenting cabbage or something. I’ve never done it, but I watched a few vids on YT.

I use Himalayan pink salt, but sea salt is perfectly good

1.5 teaspoons salt per cup of water - avoid using chlorinated water if possible

As with most herbs, fresh dill knocks the snot out of dried; flowering dill is even better

The dill I'm growing was not in flower, so just leafs

The fermenting was complete in four days on this batch, but can take up to a week

I also like adding garlic cloves and coriander seeds

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I use Himalayan pink salt, but sea salt is perfectly good

1.5 teaspoons salt per cup of water - avoid using chlorinated water if possible

Thanks, Lucy. I use Himalayan pink salt, so that’s good. I’ve got a bunch of big mason jars I can use.
The tap water is chlorinated here, so I’ll have to get spring water.

I’ve never had fresh dill, I’ll have to try to find it. I may just culture a couple of veggies with cabbage, like green and red peppers and cucumbers.

I’ll have to get some good spices now from Starwest etc.

I need the probiotics. I’ve been getting kombucha but it’s $5 a bottles. Ouch.

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Thanks, Lucy. I use Himalayan pink salt, so that’s good. I’ve got a bunch of big mason jars I can use.
The tap water is chlorinated here, so I’ll have to get spring water.

I’ve never had fresh dill, I’ll have to try to find it. I may just culture a couple of veggies with cabbage, like green and red peppers and cucumbers.

I’ll have to get some good spices now from Starwest etc.

I need the probiotics. I’ve been getting kombucha but it’s $5 a bottles. Ouch.

Dill is super easy to grow, I used to grow it in a pot in my kitchen in Alaska during winters, so I am confident it can grow in almost any window, lol

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Dill is super easy to grow, I used to grow it in a pot in my kitchen in Alaska during winters, so I am confident it can grow in almost any window, lol

Miy window sills are teeny, but I’ve got some plants growing there that have been there about 10 years. Pothos are survivors! Lol

Did you use seeds in the pots or did you buy small plants? I’ve been thinking about doing sprouts like mung beans etc. I’m just not sure which ones to get and what I’ll need.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Miy window sills are teeny, but I’ve got some plants growing there that have been there about 10 years. Pothos are survivors! Lol

Did you use seeds in the pots or did you buy small plants? I’ve been thinking about doing sprouts like mung beans etc. I’m just not sure which ones to get and what I’ll need.

Seeds are cheap and easy for dill - stuff grows like a weed

I've done sprouts in the past - the only thing is to briefly soak the seeds on mild bleach or peroxide to keep mold out

We are looking to try some micro green sprouting this week, broccoli and radicchio

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Seeds are cheap and easy for dill - stuff grows like a weed

I've done sprouts in the past - the only thing is to briefly soak the seeds on mild bleach or peroxide to keep mold out

We are looking to try some micro green sprouting this week, broccoli and radicchio

I almost mentioned broccoli sprouts! I saw a micro greens seed mix online and put off buying it. Now I’m not seeing it.

I figured sprouts would be a good source of fresh live food and nutrients.

I hope they turn out well for you!

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I almost mentioned broccoli sprouts! I saw a micro greens seed mix online and put off buying it. Now I’m not seeing it.

I figured sprouts would be a good source of fresh live food and nutrients.

I hope they turn out well for you!

Spouts are a top tier fresh live food - I highly recommend it

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Wish I had taken pics, but last night we grilled cheeseburgers. Seasonings: salt, pepper, onion and garlic powders, and Worcestershire. Side was baked, smashed potatoes, season with Himalayan pink salt, pepper, butter and olive oil. Was really yum.

Today, we're using the leftover potatoes for breakfast for dinner. Potatoes and onions, eggs, over sausage gravy pot pies. SOOOOO very bad for you, but truly tasty.

What.
Pics next time please :)
Taco lasagna. Like a 3 layer burrito casserole.
51c3853ed886b52c7aeede226610169f.jpg
That sounds nuts delicious, would never had thought of that!

Tonight we had New Zealand green lip muscles, just boiled for 8 mins in salted water, with some prawns (your shrimps) battered with salad. Forgot to take a pic of the battered prawns my misses cooked. But here are the green lips prior to cooking. They are typically twice to three times the size of black muscles and are the best tasting muscles I have ever eaten, we get them every opportunity we get at our supermarket.
20200427_181028(1).jpg

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hi everyone. Did a search for this, found a little similar but not exactly.
This is about us all, everywhere with covid, stay at home and what are we cooking. Maybe what we always do anyway, but I think many of us are cooking now things that is a result of lockdown, social distancing or simply to keep ourselves safe.
Me tonight I have done American BBQ, herbs for that from Aldi called American BBQ, chilli chicken wings. My wife has made a salad to go with it.
My recipe was the US BBQ mix from Aldi, dried and powdered home made chilli, parsley, black pepper and Chicken Salt.
No :D they are not burnt, they are perfect.
View attachment 158847
I am cooking soups. When I roast a chicken it is the carcus I am after. Chicken soup and ckicken and dumplings are some of our favorites. I cooked a country ham which was delicious, but the bone made the best 15 bean soup. We do chili and cornbread as well. So while we spend most of our time inside and at home. Comfort can be found in a bowl at my house. Peace and love to you and yours.
Rick

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I am cooking soups. When I roast a chicken it is the carcus I am after. Chicken soup and ckicken and dumplings are some of our favorites. I cooked a country ham which was delicious, but the bone made the best 15 bean soup. We do chili and cornbread as well. So while we spend most of our time inside and at home. Comfort can be found in a bowl at my house. Peace and love to you and yours.
Rick
Same to you Rick. My misses is mad about cooking soups and she also likes using the carcas/frame in them. I once read that it was proven chicken soup, cooked using the carcas or frame was actually therapeutic and not an old wives tale as the collagen in it cooks into the soup and is very good for you. Our grandmas were right after all. Cold weather and winter is coming upon us soon here so the wife will be in her element making her soups which I wont be complaining about. You take care over there.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Kicked up chilli mac

Trying find something kid friendly wirh lots of flavor. Have plenty of ground beef but fidnt feel like the typical burgers, meatballs, meatloaf... So, I started playing around with pantry items, and this is what I came up with.
Thankfully it was a huge hit with the children!

1.5 pound ground beef
4 cups CX broth

Veg group 1:
1 onion-diced
1/2 yellow bell- diced rough
1/2 orange bell- diced rough

Veg group 2:
4 toes garlic- minced
4 green onions
1/4 Chopped cilantro

Rest of things:
2 diced chipotle peppers
Juice of 1 lime
2 skinned and diced poblanos
2 can diced tomato
2 cans of your favorite beans. Rinsed and drained 3 tablespoon chilli powder
1.5 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne

Last bit:
10 oz elbow noodle
10 oz shredded colby jack
1/4 cup cilantro

Heat up pot and sweat down veg group 1 in extra virgij olive oil. Drop in ground beef and begin browning. When almost browned add in group 2 and finish browning until garlic is cooked down When meat is brown add in everything else except pasta, last cilantro and cheese. bring to boil and add in pasta. When pasta finished add in remaining cilantro and let simmer for 20 minutes before adding cheese and serving
FB_IMG_1588107255952.jpg

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I bet it tastes awesome! Would need a bank loan here to make that though. :giggle:

It really did taste awesome! The pasta may be pricey but the sauce is cheap to make.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Actually thinking of subbing out the lobster for prawns, think you call them shrimp in the US.
Reckon it depends on which you talk to.
I refer to shrimp out of the pacific prawns. From the atlantic and gulf I stick with shrimp.
In any event shrimp and/or crab are great in this dish!
I like to garnish them with either lump crabmeat or two seared shrimps intertwined

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That doesn't count. Your daughter did that. LMAO!
Hahah!!!
I was actually pretty impressed for her first cooking lesson.
She did better than I did with chopping onions at her age.

Don29palms

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Hahah!!!
I was actually pretty impressed for her first cooking lesson.
She did better than I did with chopping onions at her age.
Better be careful. She'll have you being the host while she cooks in your restaurant. That meal is impressive. My mouth is watering. I'm dieting so I can get surgery and salad doesn't look or taste like that. BRAVO!

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Better be careful. Shell have you being the host while she cooks in your restaurant. That meal is impressive. My mouth is watering. I'm dieting so I can get surgery and salad doesn't look or taste like that. BRAVO!
Would be nice to build something like rbag and hand it to the next generation.
- especially if I get to drink for free.

Hope that surgery goes well dude! The Salad may not look as good but the benefits will surely be worthwhile.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Lazy Pie last night.
Dont know if you guys have Tom Piper can food there. But anything you like the taste of really. I used 2 cans of Tom Piper savoury mince and veg, into a pie dish lined with, from the supermarket, puff pastry, put a layer on top and seal. If nobody told you, you'd think it was from a pie shop.
Lazy Pie.
20200503_175921(1).jpg

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Looks awesome!!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Lazy Pie last night.
Dont know if you guys have Tom Piper can food there. But anything you like the taste of really. I used 2 cans of Tom Piper savoury mince and veg, into a pie dish lined with, from the supermarket, puff pastry, put a layer on top and seal. If nobody told you, you'd think it was from a pie shop.
Lazy Pie.
View attachment 160083

I've done something similar with Cream of Chicken soup, frozen mixed veg, diced potatoes, and cooked chicken, plus some butter and milk, to make Chicken Pot Pie.

I assume savory mince and veg would be similar to the meat and veg layer of a Shepherd's Pie?

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I've done something similar with Cream of Chicken soup, frozen mixed veg, diced potatoes, and cooked chicken, plus some butter and milk, to make Chicken Pot Pie.

I assume savory mince and veg would be similar to the meat and veg layer of a Shepherd's Pie?
Yeah, that would be very similar.
The chicken one sounds good.
Had lots of nice pies but the two worst were from a shop in Central Vic that makes and sells all types, Camel, buffalo, emu, roo all types of game meat pies. The Emu and Crocodile were not nice at all. Emu was too oily as a meat and the Croc just didnt work in a pie to be honest. Most there I think are more a gimmick that people will try because they are different rather than a culinary delight!
images (31).jpeg

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I forgot to post last night. Made Salisbury steak for me and the little man. It’s one of our favorites! I love the mushrooms and onions in the gravy

If anybody has (1) beef, (2) gravy, and (3) potatoes, I am THERE. Just lemme know what time. :wave:

One of our local restaurants makes a smothered prime rib sandwich, which is grilled prime rib, beef gravy, provolone cheese, grilled onions, peppers if you want 'em, on a sub roll with fries. That's one of my favorites. It's messy but so yummy!

Amber Petti

Platinum Contributor
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
If anybody has (1) beef, (2) gravy, and (3) potatoes, I am THERE. Just lemme know what time. :wave:

One of our local restaurants makes a smothered prime rib sandwich, which is grilled prime rib, beef gravy, provolone cheese, grilled onions, peppers if you want 'em, on a sub roll with fries. That's one of my favorites. It's messy but so yummy!
It was so good! I’ll make sure to share next time! ;)

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lazy Pie last night.
Lazy Pie.
View attachment 160083
My daughter and I have been taking turns learning how to make puff pastry this year...I think we have it down now...it's a great pastry, but it is a special occasion kinna thing...it's just too fucking rich, to eat more than 4 times a year....I'm not as young as I used to be....and I still haven't learned about smaller portions

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My wife made me a "vegan" birthday cake...and just between us all here...it was the most God awful thing I have ever ate....I have plastered walls with better tasting stuff.....surprisingly the frosting was fantastic....the cake itself could stop bullets.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I still haven't learned about smaller portions
Smaller portions. The way around that is just do what we do and put it on a bigger plate.
My wife made me a "vegan" birthday cake...and just between us all here...it was the most God awful thing I have ever ate....I have plastered walls with better tasting stuff.....surprisingly the frosting was fantastic....the cake itself could stop bullets.
Yep, some things just dont work do they. Had a non coffee, coffee once and it was so unlike coffee that I was dumbfounded how it was being marketed as a coffee substitute. My misses got some chocolate substitute bar once that was not even remotely like chocolate. It was horrid.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
20200516_171519.jpg

I got bored. I have shrimp and chorizo sitting in the fridge so decided to experiment.
Came out pretty successful imho

Added in sole trinity, tomato, heavy cream, poblano, ancho pepper, green onion and garlic.

Basically it's NOLA shrimp and grits done with Mexican twist.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
We had an easy night. Skyline Chili, but prepared at home. Almost felt like going out to dinner, lol. Was so yum.
That's something I still haven't had.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I made some out-of-a-box Spanish rice with sausage and chicken. Meh.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That's something I still haven't had.
And you live in Ohio... shame. You might not like it, though. It's definitely not for everyone. If anyone in your house likes it, you'd be better off getting it at the store and making it at home, than going to the place. YOUR biggest challenge would be to not doctor it up. They sell cans, tubs and frozen. Top it off with a pile of finely shredded cheddar, call it good, though many order it with beans and/or onions. I do admit to adding hot sauce, a plop of sour cream on the side and a few oyster crackers, but that's how they serve it.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
And you live in Ohio... shame. You might not like it, though. It's definitely not for everyone. If anyone in your house likes it, you'd be better off getting it at the store and making it at home, than going to the place. YOUR biggest challenge would be to not doctor it up. They sell cans, tubs and frozen. Top it off with a pile of finely shredded cheddar, call it good, though many order it with beans and/or onions. I do admit to adding hot sauce, a plop of sour cream on the side and a few oyster crackers, but that's how they serve it.
Yes I'm shameful of that indeed.
I've seen it at the grocery, and have wanted to get to get it. Its one of those things that I always say I'm going to try but end up getting sidetracked with other things.

I'm going to have to get it soon though, before it gets hot out. The sour cream and cheese on top sounds like definite must haves.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yes I'm shameful of that indeed.
I've seen it at the grocery, and have wanted to get to get it. Its one of those things that I always say I'm going to try but end up getting sidetracked with other things.

I'm going to have to get it soon though, before it gets hot out. The sour cream and cheese on top sounds like definite must haves.
We used angel hair, tonight. Normally, I'd just go for regular spaghetti, but it's what we had on hand. Super quick, easy meal. Topped with LA hot sauce. It's not a spicy chili, keep that in mind. Hard to describe.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
We used angel hair, tonight. Normally, I'd just go for regular spaghetti, but it's what we had on hand. Super quick, easy meal. Topped with LA hot sauce. It's not a spicy chili, keep that in mind. Hard to describe.
I think I know what you're saying.
Louisina, crystal and franks are always on hand here.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
We had an easy night. Skyline Chili, but prepared at home. Almost felt like going out to dinner, lol. Was so yum.
Hi. What Skyline chili is that? I have never heard of it before and a search showed cans, pizzas with pasta on them, burrito's with pasta.

VU Sponsors