1. CBD USERS: THE MIGHTY VAPORIZER GIVEAWAY!

VU IS MOVING - EXPECT A BUMPY RIDE FOR THE NEXT FEW WEEKS :)

What are you cooking?

Discussion in 'Non-Vaping Related' started by Smigo, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Smigo

Smigo Silver Contributor

Blog Posts:
    That would be a dream to eat for my misses. She loves cheese with just about everything. Salad, stews in soup (her own bowl not mine) pasta naturally, with just about anything. Its a wonder she doesnt put it in her coffee.

2. f1r3b1rd

f1r3b1rd Phantom Pilot Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor VU Challenge Team Member For 5 Years

Blog Posts:
    FB_IMG_1589927536118.jpg 20200519_183825.jpg

Fried shrimp wraps with pico de gallo, slaw, and some spicy mayo.

DaBunny, Smigo, Huckleberried and 3 others like this.
  3. nadalama

nadalama Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Damn that is some good-lookin fried shrimp! I bet your family luvs you extra tonight.

gopher_byrd likes this.
  4. f1r3b1rd

f1r3b1rd Phantom Pilot Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor VU Challenge Team Member For 5 Years

Blog Posts:
    Oh yeah.... thats good NOLA fried shrimps right there! I'm glad there were enough left to make the wraps :giggle:
    part of my marital contract is that I get seafood of my choice, no less than once weekly.
    This time though, I was especially proud of the slaw, I gave it a little spanish twist with zest and juice of a lime along with some cilantro.

5. nadalama

nadalama Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    This is not what I'm cooking, but it is what I wish I was eating:

[​IMG]

Singapore Chow Mei Fun

Anyone ever had it? My absolute fave Chinese. Not an authentic Singapore dish, or so I have read, but was reputed to be an Americanized imitation of the noodles one can buy from street vendors in Singapore. Rice noodles flavored with curry powder, shit is spicy and SOOOO good.

Bird, you should cook a huge kettle full of this stuff and invite all of us to dinner. Make some tea, too, k bud?

6. f1r3b1rd

Blog Posts:
    That looks delicious!!!
    I've dabbled in Chinese, japanese and vietnamese but I've never tried anything from Singapore.
    Its definitely going in my list for when the stores get back to normal.

7. Smigo

Smigo Silver Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Wow I like the idea of that one!

My Dad was a sailor in the Aus navy, he was a gunner but one of his best mates was a cook on one of the ships he served on. They travelled during service to numerous Asian and Pacific island places picking up and trying the foods along the way and cooking them. My Dad was a great Asian food cook as a result of it. I do miss his cooking.

So after that big build up here is a humble omelet I did yesterday. Herbs with tomato and cheese :giggle:

20200519_101620(1).jpg

8. nadalama

Blog Posts:
    Night before last I made a brown-sugar glazed spiral sliced ham for dinner. This morning we still have some of it left, so I just had a yummy breakfast.

I made myself a toasted, buttered sweet Hawaiian bagel, and put a double layer of the ham and a handful of shredded cheddar cheese on it. Nuked it for just long enough to get the ham warm and the cheese melted. Had a cup of mocha with it.

I could probably eat another sandwich, but then I'd be miserable. Sure was good, though!

MrMeowgi, f1r3b1rd and Smigo like this.
  9. Smigo

Smigo Silver Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Home made chicken and veg soup. Couple of nights ago, finished the last of it for tea (dinner) last night. They say its theraputic from the chicken collagen. I asked the misses if she felt better after having it, she said no but it tastes nice. A partial win there. But today she said she feels a little better so I'll attribute that to the Chicken soup (im dreaming I know) but that makes me feel better. :giggle:
    20200520_174823(1).jpg

nadalama, f1r3b1rd and Huckleberried like this.
  10. Smigo

Smigo Silver Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Misses made this today. An experiment.
    I feel like stuffing my face with it and demoloshing it! :)
    Flavour Art Vanilla ice cream, Flavour Art Chocolate glazed donut, stevia sweetened hazelnut spread orange cake.
    20200523_173625(1).jpg

11. f1r3b1rd

Blog Posts:
    Stuffed chicken parm
    Chicken stuffed with artichoke heartsz spinach and cheese mixture
    Made with a garlic/basil cajun cream sauce

20200524_122743.jpg

12. MrMeowgi

MrMeowgi The Vapin' Drummer Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 4 Years

Blog Posts:
    I think brunch is going to be fried taters and onions. Mmm Mmm. And who knows what else. I'm not cooking so whatever she want to eat is what I'm having. Lol.

Smigo, nadalama and f1r3b1rd like this.
  13. nadalama

Blog Posts:
    Tell her to make some cream gravy to go on them taters! :)

MrMeowgi likes this.
  14. MrMeowgi

MrMeowgi The Vapin' Drummer Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 4 Years

Blog Posts:
    It was bologna. Which works for me. Ha ha then I literally put my plate in the sink and her dad showed up with a huge bucket meal from KFC. I think I will. At least the gravy and biscuits

Smigo, Huckleberried and nadalama like this.
  15. Huckleberried

Huckleberried Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 5 Years

Blog Posts:
    We had salads, no cooking required. Hot day.

Smigo likes this.
  16. nadalama

Blog Posts:
    We had hamburger steaks and baked potatoes today.

MrMeowgi and Smigo like this.
  17. Smigo

Smigo Silver Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Glad the misses felt better. She made a Chicken and bacon lasagna. :)
    20200524_180958(1).jpg
    And if you think the plate looks like iv gone back for seconds, you're right. :D
    20200524_182220(1).jpg
    It was a small plate. Honest! :giggle:

18. Huckleberried

Huckleberried Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 5 Years

Blog Posts:
    That sounds delish!

19. f1r3b1rd

Blog Posts:
    Omg that looks absolutely divine!
    Would love the recipe

Smigo likes this.
  20. Smigo

Smigo Silver Contributor

Blog Posts:
    I'll get her to explain it to me so I can write it down here later. She's doing her house and garden stuff right now. But I wont forget.

Huckleberried and f1r3b1rd like this.
  21. f1r3b1rd

Blog Posts:
    Awesome!

22. Huckleberried

Blog Posts:
    I'm copying it, too. That had to be awesome.

23. CaFF

CaFF Platinum Contributor Member For 4 Years

Blog Posts:
    Not cooking, watching the Coke 600, drinking scotch and eating ghost pepper chips.

IMG_20200524_190136.jpg

gopher_byrd likes this.
  24. f1r3b1rd

Blog Posts:
    Bbq pork chops with homemade dilled onion
    Bbq italian sausage and peppers
    Mexican street corn

20200525_162241.jpg

25. DogMan

DogMan VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 4 Years

Blog Posts:
    Rolls for a picnic lunch at the beach.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

MrMeowgi, f1r3b1rd, nadalama and 2 others like this.
  26. Huckleberried

Blog Posts:
    We're gonna have bacon cheeseburgers, again, in a little bit. I'll try to get pics this time.

27. f1r3b1rd

Blog Posts:
    Shrimps and hushpuppies

20200526_184138.jpg

gopher_byrd and Huckleberried like this.
  28. MrMeowgi

Blog Posts:
    She cooked hamburger steaks, Mac n cheese, okra and rolls. And I ate taco bell after work so now I'm in trouble because I didn't eat dinner. :sad:

29. f1r3b1rd

Blog Posts:
    I will pray for you

nadalama, gopher_byrd and MrMeowgi like this.
  30. Smigo

Smigo Silver Contributor

Blog Posts:
    @f1r3b1rd
    This is the best I can translate the misses lasagne. Hey, she's Italian and dyslexic, it was quie a job understanding her :giggle:
    She uses quick cook lasagne sheets but any type is good I guess.
    The chicken is from whole chicken breasts that she half freezes so they can be cut easily into very thin pieces. The bacon is the streaky type, like if you had a whole bacon rasher but just cut of the tail section, the streaky bit and used that. She cuts that up into small pits too.
    First up she fries up some cut up brown onion and red sweet capsicum and nearly forgot two cloves of finely chopped garlic in which ever oil you like. We use rice bran oil, yeah I know, an Italian not using olive oil!? That then goes into the tomatoe sauce that is simmering along with fresh chopped basil and italian parsely. Sometimes we have homemade sauce from her family but if not a good shop one with a couple of good tomatoes chopped up and added to the shop one. The oil that the onion and capsicun was fried in is now used to cook the chicken and bacon pieces not fresh oil but that oil with all the flavour in it.
    How much chicken and bacon is just a guess but she uses typically two large chicken breasts and six good size streaky bacon pieces.
    She hard boils 5 eggs and then slices them up.
    Now its just typical layer upon layer making it. On top of each finished layer of chicken, bacon and eggs and with a generous sauce covering goes some shredded tasty cheese and shredded parmesan.
    Cook till done. Nice and easy apart from time spent but really tasty.

Last edited: May 27, 2020 at 3:48 AM
  31. f1r3b1rd

Blog Posts:
    Awesome thank you!!!

32. nadalama

Blog Posts:
    He ought to be ashamed! Poor woman cooked her fingers to the damn bone for him. :gaah:

MrMeowgi likes this.
  33. DonBaldy

DonBaldy Platinum Contributor Member For 4 Years

Blog Posts:
    Been away and just seeing this thread so doing a little catch up. No particular order but this is over the last few days.

Beef loin steaks, fresh green beans, and daughter made a beer bread.
    [​IMG]20200524_185118 by Wayne, on Flickr

Simple burgers. half ground beef and half Italian sausage with portabellas and provolone
    [​IMG]20200526_194157 by Wayne, on Flickr

Home made ice creams first is vanilla with blueberries and chocolate drizzle and second is mint chocolate chip
    [​IMG]20200524_194934 by Wayne, on Flickr
    [​IMG]20200527_211526 by Wayne, on Flickr

Smigo, DaBunny, gopher_byrd and 2 others like this.
  34. Huckleberried

Blog Posts:
    All of it looks fantastic, but you really had me at burgers.

DonBaldy, gopher_byrd and nadalama like this.
  35. nadalama

Blog Posts:
    That is some good lookin food. Dang! I'd need my steak cooked just a little bit more, but damn if that doesn't make me jealous! :)

Beer bread is some awesome stuff, too. People wouldn't believe how easy it is to make, and how good slathered with butter.

Smigo, DonBaldy and gopher_byrd like this.
  36. f1r3b1rd

Blog Posts:
    Damn that looks good!

Smigo, DonBaldy and nadalama like this.
  37. DonBaldy

DonBaldy Platinum Contributor Member For 4 Years

Blog Posts:
    Love me some good burgers. They are so easy and it's fun getting creative with them.Since getting my new smoker and having lots of time, I've been smoking the all of my burgers

That steak was cooked to a perfect in between medium rare and medium. That's my sweet spot. IT melted in the mouth. All a good hunk of beef needs is simple salt and pepper and yes the bread is so simple and delicious.

Smigo, Huckleberried and nadalama like this.
  38. f1r3b1rd

Blog Posts:
    20200529_190736.jpg

Nothing says love like boiled crawfish

Smigo and gopher_byrd like this.
  39. Smigo

Smigo Silver Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Ours are called Yabbies. I love them but unfortunately the dams in my area are finished by illegal fishing for them to sell to restaurants and for Melbourne markets. I actually was so p'd off by it all that last year I put my nets out on the front lawn with a sign saying "free, take them" $100 worth.
    Is cheaper and easier now, how sads that, to just go to the supermarket and buy some Prawns.
    Such is the world we live in huh!?

40. f1r3b1rd

Blog Posts:
    Yeah sad when you live near a good fresh seafood source but overfishing and/or government intervention becomes roadblocks.

Smigo likes this.
  41. f1r3b1rd

Blog Posts:
    Flounder almondine, saute spinach and side salad

20200530_171127.jpg

Last edited: May 30, 2020 at 6:06 PM
    Huckleberried likes this.
  42. Huckleberried

Blog Posts:
    Where has the day gone? 5:15 already? That looks really good!

f1r3b1rd likes this.