Become a Patron!

What can I safely run

I have a vamped 40 amp, 3.7v, 2300 mah, 18650 battery. I'm confused about how this works and I get mixed answers looking it up. I just simply want to know how low ohms can I run safely? Would anything in the .4-1.0 range be safe?

4biddenArtist

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
if your 40 watt device has safety features built in you should be fine to about .3
I am new to the sub ohm ( takes a deep calming vape OOOOOHHHHMMMMMMM.)
I would refer to your mods operating specs and then give it a nice break in session.

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms_law_calculator.php here is the OHM's law calculator. you need to input 2 values and then hit the calculate button to get results. On a fresh battery at 4.2 v with a .36 build you are pulling 11.66 amps so it is within the battery specs and safe. Thats for a mech mod. As for the lowest at 4.2v with a .1 build you are pulling 40 amps. BE VERY CAREFUL if you decide to push the limits on your battery. There are several threads here that talk about battery safety that you should read up on. Hope this helps

Thanks a lot y'all that helps! I'm still new to this, not new to vaping, but new to rolling my own coils. Usually I have a vape shop set me up but I felt like it was time to start learning to build my own coils so I can build my atomizer according to what I want out of it. I don't plan on going under about .25 so I think I should be good. I'm gonna check out that link and read up on those safety threads

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
.21 will pull no more than 20amps and make no more than 84watts. With voltage drop in the mod and less than a fully charged battery it's less. That's a pretty good minimum resistance number to stay at or above. Your battery should handle it fine and surely you can get great performance within 80watts. Going below .21 is where things start getting sketchy. This is all assuming we're talking mechs. Variable devices don't use simple ohms law like a mech with regards to calculating the load on the battery.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
And do yourself a favor and shell out $16 for a CoilMaster jig from RBA supplies.

With that sucker you will be turning out perfect coils soon after you open the box!

So another problem I've been having. Cotton hits! Ugh. Don't know why this is happening. My cotton is well saturated too.
3abaa209c0827cc6e8dd238845c6d0bb.jpg

This is happening every other hit. Is it getting too hot? Should I maybe have some holes drilled into my RDA for better airflow?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's not your airflow, it's your coils. Why are you building them like that? Why not use a standard contact coil build?

72D6oyg.jpg

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
So another problem I've been having. Cotton hits! Ugh. Don't know why this is happening. My cotton is well saturated too.
3abaa209c0827cc6e8dd238845c6d0bb.jpg

This is happening every other hit. Is it getting too hot? Should I maybe have some holes drilled into my RDA for better airflow?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Looking at this coil, I'm not surprised you're getting dry hits. Build coils w/ 2-3mm ID, and pull the wicking material through, as shown in the tutorials I posted. Use the steam engine link, in order to find out how many wraps you'll need, in order to reach the Ohm you're heading for.

VU Sponsors