Become a Patron!

What coils everyone running

cooder9282

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Made a staple coil while ago looking for ideas for a different coil that has flavor an vapor production that's better then this bad boy if any
6135eb1e81ae17f7cb7e09e980763782.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

cooder9282

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Or should I try dual staple

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Dual aliens are my go-to build for both flavor and clouds. Otherwise, you could always run dual framed staples if your mod can handle 'em.

cooder9282

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dual aliens are my go-to build for both flavor and clouds. Otherwise, you could always run dual framed staples if your mod can handle 'em.
Those low builds I use my one of my Rx 200 i have not mastered the aliens yet they are kind of a pain in Workin on em though

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah, aliens take a while to master. Eventually, you'll have that "a-ha moment", and it starts to get pretty easy after that. Practice, my friend. That's all it takes.

cooder9282

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, aliens take a while to master. Eventually, you'll have that "a-ha moment", and it starts to get pretty easy after that. Practice, my friend. That's all it takes.
I've had couple of those then mess up an won't have enough good to use

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Try some Cat Tracks...use 4 30g N80 Cores and wrap in 36g and bang it with a hammer....works better then you would think.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've had couple of those then mess up an won't have enough good to use
I make tons of 'em, and still mess up on occasion. Those are the ones that I get to keep for myself. Just because they ain't purty don't mean they don't work well.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Try some Cat Tracks...use 4 30g N80 Cores and wrap in 36g and bang it with a hammer....works better then you would think.

Kanthal wrap? Seems like all nichrome would be a hot mofo. Are you keeping the cores parallel or stacked 2x2 or not worrying about them twisting? And hey, no photo - no bueno.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Once you hammer them into Cat tracks, the cores will become parallel if they aren't already. Unless you do 'em like I do, and use 20-30 higher gauge cores. I like to the opposite of Ray's - small gauge cores with larger gauge binding - like (25) 38 gauge cores with 32 gauge binding, then hammered to create the Caterpillar track look.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Yes, I know you use like 200 strands of 99 gauge for your cat tracks. ;) But in the example above, would you use kanthal for the wrap?

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
With 36 gauge, it really won't affect it much either way. It's the cores in Ray's example that will make the difference in how warm of a vape you get.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks. Right. Don't know why I get hung up on the wrap like that. Probably make like .01 difference on ohms. What do you think of that example with all kanthal? Or SS?

edit - the reason I'm interested in raymos gauge combo is poor eyesight and clumsy fingers. Dealing with high gauge can make me nutz, and 2 dozen strands of 38 would put me in the loony bin. Hence the need to purchase high gauge aliens, etc.

Last edited:

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Play with some ideas on the Wire Wizard at Steam Engine. Just choose Clapton as your wire type, and parallel as your core type. Then add or subtract as many cores as you want. Play around with different gauges and wire types, and see what you can come up with that works best for you.

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I would use KA1 cores for a smooth less intense vape, N80 cores for a hotter and quicker ramping vape and SS for my favorite type...hott and instant.
Just a example of a Cat Track like this (Visual stimulus):

20160720_121847.jpg

Like Chef mentioned you can really customize the experience by changing wire type, wire size and using mixes to really pin down what you want but start off with KA1 Cores with N80 Wrap and then play with it from there..Mix KA1 with N80 Cores and so on. The outer wrap wont change much for material type but wire size will effect it most for ramp up.

Tip for keeping them parallel when wrapping them use a paperclip or plastic clothespin or IMO the best slider is made of Ribbon Wire wrapped loosely around the cores and pinched with nylon pliers. Slide them along the way and pinch with Nylon pliers when needed but Chef is correct, they will become parallel when flattening but if you dont go bit by bit they can overlap and then be flattened

Last edited:

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've posted this before, but this is my favorite pic of a classic Caterpillar track coil:

Cat Track.JPG

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
edit - the reason I'm interested in raymos gauge combo is poor eyesight and clumsy fingers. Dealing with high gauge can make me nutz, and 2 dozen strands of 38 would put me in the loony bin. Hence the need to purchase high gauge aliens, etc.
i had a tough time wrangling up all the cores when i was trying cat tracks for the first time. when i made my second set i think it was 15 x 38gauge cores, and i put a hook in my drill and wrapped a single strand of 38 from that hook to my swivel setup 15 times. that way was much easier. i clamped my drill to the table (my swivel setup is already clamped down) so i had both hands to work with, and solid tension on the cores at all times. once i had 15 wraps and they were secured, i claptoned it and hammered it out. that set took a little longer than a regular fused clapton, and about half the time of my first set of cat tracks.

cooder9282

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Those look a little more intimidating then aliens for some reason but the way you describe it sounds easier

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
and i put a hook in my drill and wrapped a single strand of 38 from that hook to my swivel setup
That's pretty much what I do. It makes a HUGE difference, doesn't it?

Those look a little more intimidating then aliens for some reason but the way you describe it sounds easier
Looks can be deceiving - they're actually pretty easy to make.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's pretty much what I do. It makes a HUGE difference, doesn't it?

Looks can be deceiving - they're actually pretty easy to make.
yeah man. i made two sets in a row the day i decided to try these out. my first set was not 'hard' to make, but working with a bunch of individual strands of tiny wire was a hassle for sure. i took a break to give my eyes and patience a rest, and i came up with the dual hooks plan. the second set felt like it made itself, comparatively. i probably spent more time hammering it out than i did setting up the cores. it was comparable to a set of fused claptons in terms of difficulty (which is to say it was easy as pie)...

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yup. I have to make a pair that have (30) 38 gauge cores and 30 gauge binding. That stuff can be a bit of a PITA to wrap.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've settled into two. I abide by KISS with my dailies. That's the only reason I don't do aliens, even though they give you that extra 10%. With these two builds, I can sit down for an hour or so and make two-months worth. And they're both solid performers on top of the Noisy Cricket.

Right now, I'm running a dual 38/27 kanthal single-core clapton build @ .666 ohms. 8 wraps on a 2.5mm rod. It's a good shorty build because it has a lot of surface area, but it heats up and cools down quickly, so it's more controllable in the smaller chamber. No issues with the atty/mod overheating. This is what I use out in public. Respectable battery life and serious performance, but nothing absurd.

In my mutations, I have dual 36/28 kanthal fused claptons @.35 ohms. Again, very fast coils that give away their heat easily because of the finer wire, but with a lot more power, mass, and surface-area. It's an intense vape, but also extraordinarily pleasant and satisfying. It's like cranking up a multi-$1000 sound system. Full and clean. Puts a smile on yer face. These rigs are for chain-vaping back at home. Way too much going on there for vaping in public, haha.

Took a while to find a balanced flavor/vapor monster that didn't get too hot... ...never woulda thought something so high-powered would be the ticket. But man, so warm and smooth.

cooder9282

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Finally got an alien been bugging me for a while why I was Havin problems finally solved
ef9d265f0cdd629203d529c6f4bcffa5.jpg

Dutch0hms

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Running 5/6 wrap 24SS/36N80 dual fused claptons at 3mm all day long, simple but effective.

VU Sponsors