What do I need to begin DIY? Simple guide with links!

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid - Guides, Tips & Tricks!' started by RocketPuppy, Jul 3, 2014.

1. HeadInClouds

HeadInClouds Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee Unlisted Vendor Vape Media

Blog Posts:
    IMO it depends on the flavors you're using. Mix some FA Cocoa or Coffee Espresso, and the difference is drastic. TFA Cinnamon Red Hots, you can barely notice a difference at all.

Mykline and MD_Boater like this.
  2. AmandaD

AmandaD Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    LOL with cinnamon red hots I can taste nothing else for the rest of the day:p

3. Time

Time Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, that's not gonna happen.

I'm so tired of reading about it in every thread that mentions nic I have a strong compulsion to avoid it like Mormon Missionaries or a Jehovah Witness.:p

That has to come from hype. Especially when Oxidized nic is hyped as something special.

4. AmandaD

Blog Posts:
    That's like saying all apples taste the same. However, vape what makes you happy and keeps you away from smoking!

Mykline, HeadInClouds and MD_Boater like this.
  5. huston

huston Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Also something to consider is the pg/vg consistency. I buy 100% vg at 36mg and dilute to18% 40pg/60vg. Used to do the 50/50 after mixing so i used less materials, and easy to make when you are only using nic, pg, and flavor.

6. Huckleberried

Huckleberried Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Bumping this awesome and informational post by OP.

RocketPuppy likes this.
  7. piemasher

piemasher New Member

Blog Posts:
    Hi guys... going to start diy. .. I usually buy 3 MG max vg... would I need to buy PG at all? Should I atleast do 80/20? I'm sure it has been answered elsewhere sorry. What do you recommend for top quality nic/pg/vg? Thanks.

8. Nobody2

Nobody2 New Member

Blog Posts:
    It would depend mainly on what nicotine base strength you buy and whether the base is PG or VG. I prefer a high VG myself so I just bought nicotine in a VG base. You usually will have to have at least 5% PG because the concentrated flavorings are in a PG base. I have yet to find them in a VG base. They may be out there but are hard to find.

9. huston

Blog Posts:
    my highest pg percentage is 15% since that is what my flavoring is at otherwise pure vg. my lowest pg is 2%

10. Huckleberried

Huckleberried Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    I've heard they're out there and not very good, and I've heard the same about the alcohol based ones. A lot of max VG use the higher concentrated flavorings just to keep it max, at least.

11. huston

Blog Posts:
    now that im doing dripping i use mainly vg

12. Nobody2

Nobody2 New Member

Blog Posts:
    I have caramel cappuccino from TPA and you only use 1 drop per 10ML.

13. Huckleberried

Blog Posts:
    Lol, yeah, I learned that lesson on the very first mix I ever attempted. Oh boy.

14. zaroba

zaroba Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:

I would like to recommend amazon.com be added to the list.
    Prices may very from time to time, but overall it can be far cheaper then any of the above sites for supplies like needles, syringes, bottles, and other hardware.
    ie, 7.50 for a pack of 100 3ml syringes vs 60 cents each at one of the listed sites. Probably a lifetime supply, and can give them out to friends etc, but it comes out to almost 1/10th the price per syringe.

REDD, Thunderball, Mykline and 2 others like this.
  15. Kynetic

Kynetic New Member

Blog Posts:
    RTS vapes is always a good way to go

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  16. RocketPuppy

RocketPuppy Gold Contributor

Blog Posts:
    ?

17. MarkS

MarkS Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    I've been tinkering with mixing different e-juices but next month I'm ordering all that I should need to do go full DIY for a good long time (about a year and a half based on an average use of 60 ml a week of nominally 20% PG/80% VG at 5% nic). My initial DIY orders are: 2 - 120 ml of 100 mg/ml nic (PG Base), a gallon (3,785 ml) of VG, and 2 - 120 ml of PG from Heartland Vapes as well as ordering 18 - 30 ml bottles of TFA flavoring, 3 ml syringes, and a 35 mm funnel from OSDIYS. I already have 10 -10 ml syringes and gloves. I have a boat load of empty 30 ml e-juice bottles and a few empty 120 ml bottles that I've cleaned, let dry, and sealed from B&M and on line purchases. I'm guessing that with TFA flavors I will generally be using 10-13% total flavoring (sum of all flavors used) per 30 ml bottle. Any suggestions or something that doesn't look exactly right?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  18. AmandaD

Blog Posts:
    My only suggestion would be to order much smaller (even sample size) bottles of flavorings until you know what you like. 18 30ml bottles is a huge amount of a flavoring you might not like, or might later find something you like much more! (This said from experience!)

mark likes this.
  19. MarkS

Blog Posts:
    You have a point... I based my TFA flavor purchases on mixes I have vaped but I have no idea of the source of the flavorings they used.

20. AmandaD

Blog Posts:
    I think it would be more cost effective to find some recipes (lots on this website) and then buy the flavorings to make them (in small bottles in case you don't like the result). I ended up dumping a LOT of flavorings I bought not knowing what to get!

21. MarkS

Blog Posts:
    I'm going to do some more research! Here is my conceptual starting point (that will likely change):

Mark's Planned Purchases for DIY.jpg

Randy Mullins likes this.
  22. debkdarlin

debkdarlin JustDeb VU Donator New Member

Blog Posts:
    I've been getting my Nicotine at HeartlandVapes 120 ml. of 100mg is $15.99 or if you just want 48mg., you can get 120 ml. for $9.99 or it's only $44.99 for a liter of 100mg. That;s $5 cheaper than the 48mg. It's excellent nicotine! It comes in a heavy white plastic bottle, so no light can get to it. Their customer service it top notch! They also have flavorings, PG, VG, etc.

I buy my PG & VG from Bulk Apothecary. Even with shipping, they are the cheapest I've found and it's all USP grade. The VG tastes better than what Ive got from several other places. VG is $3.97 a lb. or half liter. I buy the 10lb. gal. for $13.65 with FedEx shipping to me It's less than $27 a gallon.
    USP PG is $3.95 for the half liter or $19.95 a gallon. $32 by FedEx or both by FedEx are $47.63.
    If you're buying a gallon of each, you may be able to get a better deal at Essential Depot, but last time I checked they were $4 higher. That's just the product with their free shipping deal.

I realize I'm a little late with my input in this thread. I honestly just saw it for the first time. I''ve been in the hospital so much the last year, that I really haven't been able to put my two cents worth in... I hope this helps someone out. Buy your Nic while you can get it and keep it in the freezer. I always have at least 1 extra bottle ahead & I vape 0mg! I have to keep it tho for the rest of the family. I handed my sister a bottle of cappuccino today & she almost flipped because it was only 3mg. instead of 6mg. so I had to add more nic to it. It was made for someone else, but they never came and got it, so she was lucky. It was even pre-steeped.

mark, RocketPuppy and MarkS like this.
  23. SandbaggerStew

SandbaggerStew New Member

Blog Posts:
    The Flavor Apprentice offers 4ml bottles of flavors for $1.40. These surprisingly go a long way.
    They also offer "Flavor Packs" $8-$15 depending on flavor category (Sweet, Smoke, Custardy, Candy etc.) I really liked these !
    This is a good alternative to try new flavors without getting the 15ml bottles, especially if you don't like them (which I certainly did).
    Orange Mandarin is brutal-yuck.
    Also, save your money and buy 100mg nic. Goes a long way but BE CAREFUL !!! HIGHLY TOXIC !!!

24. RocketPuppy

Blog Posts:
    WL offers TFA, CAP, and LA 8 ml for $1.49.

25. Pablo73

Pablo73 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Is there one flavor company that is the best. I really don't want to order from more than one. I didn't know if one flavor was best from this company and that flavor best from another. I just want a good caramel and custard 100%vg

26. RocketPuppy

Blog Posts:
    Good question but difficult to answer only because we all have our favorites. However, the choices are much more limited if you're looking for 100% vg. Are you looking for PG free flavors?

mark and Huckleberried like this.
  27. mark

mark Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    I hear you Pablo, I am having the same problem. There are so many things that I just don't know.

28. Pablo73

Pablo73 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Yes I have to have 100% VG no pg at all. I found out the hard way when my throat closed up after about 3 months of vaping 50/50 juice. Now I can't handle any.

29. Pablo73

Pablo73 New Member

Blog Posts:
    I know that when asking for the best flavor it is personal preference. I was just fishing for opinions to see if one stuck out.

mark likes this.
  30. Huckleberried

Blog Posts:
    I like FlavourArt, but they're pg... Finding VG only flavorings is tough. TFA does have a couple? You can find some that are alcohol, though. Where... is the question. Hopefully someone knows.

31. RocketPuppy

Blog Posts:
    Nude Nicotine, Nature's Flavors, and Vaping Zone have pretty extensive PG free flavors.

TFA and LA have some that are PG free, but definitely check for specifics.

Here's a list of which vendors sell each brand http://vapingunderground.com/threads/list-of-diy-flavor-flavour-suppliers-vendors.2260/

I can find most everything I need at BullCity, but I haven't had to shop for PG free flavors. and it doesn't look like they have anything designated specifically for non-PG (where-as quite a few places do).

Huckleberried likes this.
  32. RocketPuppy

Blog Posts:
    Whoops...other places to buy PG free...ecigexpress (has Nature's Flavors), High Desert Vapes, and OneStopDIY Shop

33. Huckleberried

Blog Posts:
    And the 2 posts above me, ladies and gentlemen, are exactly why she's THE Pup.

Pablo73 likes this.
  34. MarkS

Blog Posts:
    Has anyone tried heating their VG in a glass container in the microwave for about 30 seconds? It made it so much easier to suck up into my syringe! Didn't know if there were any down sides. Still going to let this batch go through my shake-n-steep cyclings.

35. Huckleberried

Blog Posts:
    A lot of people will simply place a bottle in a cup of hot tap water to make it easier to mix with and also to shake up. :)

MarshmallowScotty likes this.
  36. huston

Blog Posts:
    just an FYI one stop diy is down till may 15 since they are moving to colorado
    And a big BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO to TFA for permanently discontinuing the Flue Cured flavor! it was my base for so many mixes

37. nabibrian

nabibrian VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the great simple but effective guide.

RocketPuppy likes this.
  38. abrahamfarrar

abrahamfarrar Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    This forum is awesome and I've learned so much in the past few days. I'm super new to the forum and even the thought of DIY but I really wanna give it a go. My problem is trying to find a blend that the "sugars/sweetener" doesn't gunk up my coils. I tend to like the sweet flavors but cant afford to go through a coil everyday. How do I avoid making so sweat that it clogs up my coils?

39. MarkS

Blog Posts:
    One Stop DIY up and operating!

Sent from my "smart" phone.

40. Brandontf8o8

Brandontf8o8 Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys. Brand new to the forum thabks for all the help.

Got an interest in DIY juice so I find myself here and all over the place trying to figure out where to start.

I see you have listed essential supplies but is there a complete guide to DIY to start off?

Kind of like a DIY101.

Let me know. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

CryStalLuV545 likes this.
  41. RocketPuppy

Blog Posts:
    The above is really all ya need.

42. Brandontf8o8

Blog Posts:
    Well I guess the more accurate question is what exactly am I supposed to buy t get started.

I keep reading that PG gives more flavor however VG makes more clouds. And the different recipes I'm looking up give different ratios of the two. Some places say the nicotine in different strengths can have either a VG/PG dilution.

TBH a lot of the sites I'm reading up on all give more or less the same information but don't really explain what exactly someone should get to start off.

I'd like to start off with just a simple mix single flavor and build from there once I get an understanding of what's what.

43. MarkS

Blog Posts:
  44. Huckleberried

Blog Posts:
    Everyone has different preferences for how much PG or VG they use in a mix. Some are also more sensitive to one over the other, for example, I use a higher PG ratio in my final mix because I'm more sensitive to VG. In amounts over 25%, I cough a lot and feel like I have a really bad chest cold. Others are the opposite. Those with PG sensitivities can experience tinnitis (or flare ups of), coughing, tight chest. Still, others prefer to chase clouds, so they use a max VG final mix.

I buy nic in PG base. It's thinner than VG, which makes it easier to pour, and, as mentioned, I use a higher PG ratio. Those wanting max VG will usually purchase nic in a VG base.

Regardless of what someone else uses as their base, you would basically/typically mix the flavoring with the same % someone else uses in a recipe.

RocketPuppy likes this.
  45. Brandontf8o8

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the vids mark. :)

So the base to get with you're nic is just personal preference? Rather u want more flavor or vapor? Does that throw off the recipes at all or do u have to calculate that into your let's say 50/50 blend?

46. Brandontf8o8

Blog Posts:
    Ooohh I get it. When I punch some values into an ejuice calculator it auto adjusts based on the nicotine base (PG/VG) got it.

So I see a lot of people on here praising Vaperstek for the nicotine. Any particular ular brand is a favorite for the PG/VG?

47. MarkS

Blog Posts:
    I use 100 mg/ml Nic with 100% PG so it isn't thick. PG is most common base to flavoring. PG carries flavor better than VG. PG also gives most of throat hit (Nic gives some too). I get my Nic, PG, & VG from Heartlandvapes.com. I usually go for a finished bottle being 20%/80% PG/VG. I also mix Nic at 3.3%.

No matter where you go, take your Vape!

48. Brandontf8o8

Blog Posts:
    Overall I'd like to keep most if not all of my purchases from the same place.

Is there any quality grades or something I should be looking for other then just purchasing PG/VG off the internet?

49. MarkS

Blog Posts:
    USP, Kosher VG, and the highest percentage in purity.
    I go to two places. Heartlandvapes and onestopdiy

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Brandontf8o8 likes this.
  50. Brandontf8o8

Blog Posts:
    Alright thanks Mark :)

MarkS likes this.