Become a Patron!

What Do You Suggest I Make For My First DIY?

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So, I ordered PG, VG and nic from MFS. I ordered a bunch of flavorings from E-Liquid Mart.

My 2 favorite "store bought" juices that I have been vaping lately are "VG Shackberry" from DIY Flavor Shack, and "Wake-N-Vape" (cereal type juice) from Mad Man Vapes.

Here's what I ordered:
  • 1 x Raspberry by FlavourArt
    (Size: 30 mL)
  • 1 x Bilberry by FlavourArt
  • 1 x Blackberry by FlavourArt
  • 1 x Caramel by FlavourArt
  • 1 x Clove by FlavourArt
  • 1 x Coconut by FlavourArt
  • 1 x Cookie by FlavourArt
  • 1 x Cream Fresh by FlavourArt
  • 1 x Grape Concord by FlavourArt
  • 1 x Hazelnut by FlavourArt
  • 1 x Lime Tahity Cold Pressed by FlavourArt
  • 1 x Orange by FlavourArt
  • 1 x Pear by FlavourArt
  • 1 x Pineapple by FlavourArt
  • 1 x Pomegranate by FlavourArt
  • 1 x Strawberry by FlavourArt
  • 1 x Apple by FlavourArt
  • 1 x Sucralose Liquid Sweetener
  • 1 x Vanilla Classic by FlavourArt
  • 1 x Catalan Cream by FlavourArt
  • 1 x Chocolate by FlavourArt
  • 1 x Cinnamon by FlavourArt
  • 1 x Vienna Cream by FlavourArt
  • 1 x Lemon Sicily by FlavourArt
  • 1 x Custard by FlavourArt
  • 1 x Bacon by Capella Flavors
    (Size: 12 mL)
  • 1 x Cool Mint by Capella Flavors

I'm not necessarily a cloud chaser, but I do seem to like a higher VG ratio so far.

Also, should I store the flavorings in the fridge? There's well over a half liter there.

Thanks!
CC

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh, I accidentally ordered the bilberry - I thought it said blueberry. Oops... :oops:

Kingboomer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
IMHO, try your flavors as stand alone to get the feel for them. Mix them as the description on the site suggests, generally 2% is a good place to start, except for tobaccos/chocolates/some spices, those I go 1%. Go nuts from there!

-Kingboomer

P.S. Billberry = Blueberry, this one's like the wild blueberries that can be found as opposed to the ones you get in the grocery store.

P.P.S. I *think* as long as you keep em in a cool dark place they'll be OK, mine go in the fridge too tho just in case. Good luck!

JXN

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Congratulations but you need more flavors (always). Mix that Pomegranite up with Papaya, Banana, Meringue and maybe some Malt. LOL
No need to refrigerate.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Maybe a Pomegranate/Blackberry/Cream with a hint of vanilla?

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Sky is the limit....you have alot of what i see as additional flavors...But as suggested already, be ready to do alot of sampling with each flavor by them selves...Sometimes something that sounds good turn out to be nasty.

I suggest a little tiny dripper as a tester...make tiny 3ml batches or even less....if something is good then make as much as you want

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I suggest a little tiny dripper as a tester...make tiny 3ml batches or even less....if something is good then make as much as you want
Wow, you're reading my mind! I was just using eJuice Me Up to experiment with 3ml quantities.

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You probably have enough flavors to make some of HICs recipes. They always turn out very good for me. Its nice to have some know good recipes to vape on while you experiment and try some standalone. You can learn alot by modifying other recipes and seeing what happens. I just made his somoas a few weeks ago. Outstanding.

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, with most of the flavors you ordered, it looks like you've been studying HIC's recipes. Maybe go through the comments and find a couple that have the most "rave reviews" (actually MOST of them have rave reviews...they are THAT good). That way not only will your first DIY's be successful, you will get an idea of how the flavors can work together. I'm sure that you will find plenty to build on and tweak to fit exactly what you are looking for. And some that you may not think you like...could turn out to be your favorites. You don't have to reinvent the wheel or suffer through too much trial and error..especially when there are so many good FA recipes already listed. Just a suggestion :)

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
And some that you may not think you like...could turn out to be your favorites.
That's already happened once. :)

I never even considered the cereal type vapes until I saw some reviewed on Gore Gore Britnee's YouTube channel. Then I read a review ahout Mad Man Vapes "Wake-N-Vape". They are having a flash sale (30ml bottle for only $4.50 + $5.50 flat rate USPS shipping) so I bought a bottle and I absolutely love it! They even let you completely customize your PG/VG/Nic ratio.

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
For storage, don't store flavor concentrates in the fridge or freezer. It speeds up the natural separation of the flavor from the liquid base (pg/alcohol/etc).

If you keep the lids on tightly and the bottles in a cool, dark place, they should last 2 years to indefinitely. After awhile, they will lose flavor, but they don't go bad.

To extend extract life: Keep in cool, dark places away from heat, moisture, and sunlight. Avoid places near the stove, dishwasher, fridge, or even shelves near windows.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Definitely start with something involving bacon...too bad there's no hot dog in there, you could go for a TJ dog, just need some mayo and pickle...

BS aside, you've got some good ideas here already to work with - and you won't regret that Bilberry, I use mine quite a bit, it's good stuff. It might help to try some of those fruits standalone so you know what they're supposed to taste like, then start adding in complimentary flavors...

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks you all for your suggestions and info! I found a page on Mama J's website called
HIC's "My notes on". It's a page with HeadInClouds' descriptions of a bunch of FA flavors, Very handy to have around.

kwtony

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Only thing I can suggest is perhaps a second type of sweeter. You have plenty of flavors. I have not experimented with Sucralose, but I know people that have have good results with Ethyl Maltol, and or using a blue raspberry Cotton Candy from CAP also add a great taste without overwhelming the taste buds.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Okay, so I decided for my first test run I would try an Andes Mint type flavor. I gotta say, it's not too bad for a first attempt. It took a little tweaking, but I like it.

Here's a screenshot of the recipe:
AndesMint3.png

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Nice going CrazyChef! Looks like your DIY journey is off to an excellent start!

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I also have to say that the MFS nicotine I received doesn't have any type of peppery or burnt taste at all. And I'd like to try the same recipe again, but with ethyl maltol instead of sucralose to see what the difference in flavor is.

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
MFS nic is what I use. I want to get VT nic but I'm still working on a liter from MFS that I bought almost a year ago..lol Nothing at all wrong with it. Especially for the price!

abrahamfarrar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Nice @CrazyChef I'm getting so excited to start my DIY journey! I got my nicotine from VT and paid a pretty penny in shipping but from what I've heard its great flavorless nicotine and I found out that VT is just about an hour up the road from me so I had to show my support to the local vendors lol

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Okay, so I decided for my first test run I would try an Andes Mint type flavor. I gotta say, it's not too bad for a first attempt. It took a little tweaking, but I like it.

Here's a screenshot of the recipe:
AndesMint3.png
Please define what you use as your ....sucralose { liquid }
an i have TFA ethonol malt so how much? more... less...
have been looking for a good Andes mint..

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Damn you people are going to have me mixing my White Chocolate Peppermint tonight~!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Please define what you use as your ....sucralose { liquid }
an i have TFA ethonol malt so how much? more... less...
have been looking for a good Andes mint..

Flavor West Sweetener is sucralose. It's good.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I mixed some TFA Creme de Menthe in with Crom’s Custard. Ten drops into 30ml. It is a nice “green” mint. Love it.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Not too much experience with Chocolate Chocolates but the White Chocolate Peppermint doesn't kill coils.

There’s not so much chocolate flavor, though. It’s more like a creamy peppermint, but yummy.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I taste the White Chocolate because it is one of my favorite Chocolates.

I like it a lot. I just can’t vape it because the LB Peppermint is upsetting my stomach.
It’s been steeping almost two weeks now, but I tried it last night and my tummy was just as upset.

I’m vaping TFA Creme De Menthe, and I’m fine. Even as a shake n vape, no tummy upset. I might try LB White Chocolate to make it a mint cream, though.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I would like to try the caramel and orange combination!

You never know until you try~! When I first started DIY I put much thought into things before I mixed them but now I get an idea and just go for it. After it is done I treat it like cooking and add a drop of this or a drop of that if it isn't how I thought it should taste. Good Luck

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
You never know until you try~! When I first started DIY I put much thought into things before I mixed them but now I get an idea and just go for it. After it is done I treat it like cooking and add a drop of this or a drop of that if it isn't how I thought it should taste. Good Luck

Steve, have you noticed the Vanilla Cream tobacco muting at all? It tastes good the next day, but then the smoky tobacco kinda mellows out. But I mix it in custard.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Steve, have you noticed the Vanilla Cream tobacco muting at all? It tastes good the next day, but then the smoky tobacco kinda mellows out. But I mix it in custard.

Nope I never noticed that but I never mixed it with something else. So I would have to assume it is what you added that causes the conflict in taste. Some flavorings just do not work with others.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Nope I never noticed that but I never mixed it with something else. So I would have to assume it is what you added that causes the conflict in taste. Some flavorings just do not work with others.

It’s not conflicting, it’s just the smokiness of it kinda gets less. It works fine, I prolly need to add it at the full percentage.

VU Sponsors