Become a Patron!

What do you think about my works nicotine survey?

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is a form that my employer sent out this morning. When I first read it, I thought, "what a joke." I wanted to fill this out and be as passive aggressive as I could be. Maybe quote some facts about nicotine pros and cons.

I know they're trying to better people, which is a good thing, but I don't want to quit. Vaping has become a hobby of mine. It has created a sort of brotherhood with some other employees/friends that never would have happened before.

Not to mention, I highly doubt that the incentive they give would be even close to good enough for me to think about quitting or at least not vaping at work.

I don't know if i'm going to fill it out, but I wanted your guys' thoughts on it. How would you fill it out?

Attachments

• Smoking Cessation Survey.pdf
    179.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I would fill it out and give them the facts about Vaping vs Smoking. I also would let them know, at least in my case, how I have progressively reduced my nicotine use with plans on eliminating it but continuing to Vape. They should incentivize the use of Vapor products for the purpose of tobacco cessation and nicotine reduction/cessation as well. But, that's just me and my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This reminds me of a place I worked at over 20 years ago. I had the job through a temp service, a very good paying factory job. I didn't make as much through the temp service as those who were actually on company payroll, but was told by quite a few that if I could get on permanently they paid very high wages and had some of the best company provided health insurance on the market. Question #1 on their employment application asked if you used any tobacco products of any kind. A "yes" answer got you disqualified automatically. Anyone who did smoke or "dip" that was already on their payroll hid to do it, and when I say "hid" I mean they got in their cars on breaks and drove about a quarter mile away to smoke. If you'd been there for 50 years and they found out you used tobacco in any way, you were fired. I always thought that was pretty extreme but was told they did it because of the high dollar insurance.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I would fill it out and give them the facts about Vaping vs Smoking. I also would let them know, at least in my case, how I have progressively reduced my nicotine use with plans on eliminating it but continuing to Vape. They should incentivize the use of Vapor products for the purpose of tobacco cessation and nicotine reduction/cessation as well. But, that's just me and my opinion.

Good idea. I might also mention that I've been on their insurance for 4 years and never once used it. So....can my nicotine consuming ass have some money back? lol

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This reminds me of a place I worked at over 20 years ago. I had the job through a temp service, a very good paying factory job. I didn't make as much through the temp service as those who were actually on company payroll, but was told by quite a few that if I could get on permanently they paid very high wages and had some of the best company provided health insurance on the market. Question #1 on their employment application asked if you used any tobacco products of any kind. A "yes" answer got you disqualified automatically. Anyone who did smoke or "dip" that was already on their payroll hid to do it, and when I say "hid" I mean they got in their cars on breaks and drove about a quarter mile away to smoke. If you'd been there for 50 years and they found out you used tobacco in any way, you were fired. I always thought that was pretty extreme but was told they did it because of the high dollar insurance.
That's very extreme. I've never heard anything quite that bad. Personally, I'd say that caffeine is a worse drug compared to nicotine.

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good point Teresa. I would turn it in on paper without my name on it or the ability of being associated with it in any way... just in case the employer may be inclined to do what Teresa described.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good point Teresa. I would turn it in on paper without my name on it or the ability of being associated with it in any way... just in case the employer may be inclined to do what Teresa described.
Wow, I didn't even think of that.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's very extreme. I've never heard anything quite that bad. Personally, I'd say that caffeine is a worse drug compared to nicotine.
Me too, as anyone educated on the subject would/should tell you. My current employer despises vaping, which is a total 180 to how he felt when I first started work there. He always complimented me on quitting smoking and the progress I've made in nicotine reduction since I began vaping. Then he had a few conversations with a friend of his. This friend owns a little tourist attraction called "Goats On the Roof," a little tourist trap with a high dollar gift shop, alpine coaster, and live goats that stay on the roof of the place. Friend now has him convinced of all the BS media crap shoved down our throats every day and acts like vaping is a tool of satan, designed to kill us. And I've given all the rebuttal of anyone educated on the subject but to no avail. As much as I can appreciate this dude taking time away from raising goats to get his medical degree ( :rolleyes: ), he's wrong, but all the legitimate reasons as to why seem to fall on deaf redneck ears.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
1. Yes, but only if you promote me to CEO before the end of the week and you grant me an 800% raise
2. Mech mods
3. Online lifestyle intervention course
4. See #1
5. Where do I sign?
6. Carambrda

Maybe quote some facts about nicotine pros and cons.
I think you should fill out the form honestly and then maybe pull some headlines off the internet that back up your decision to continue to vape as a harm reduction tool. You know the kind of articles I'm taking about... Published by major news outlets that show how vaping is like 95% less harmful than cigarette smoke with sources/studies linked.

I wouldn't put my name on it. Hell, maybe you could get one or two of your vape break bros to turn in similar surveys with articles linked. Strength in Numbers!

I don't think vaping should be punished by employers the same as smoking cigs. Two totally different things. Just because the both have nicotine doesn't mean they are the same health effect wise.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
On #5 I would list the health benefits I've gained with vaping and add a comparison to nic usage smoking vs usage with vaping. I wouldn't sign it if I was interested in keeping the job.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I’d explain the health benefits that my coworkers, boss, and any other people I come in contact with get to enjoy due to the fact that I DO use nicotine products.
As I recall from many attempts to quit when I was smoking analogs, after day two or day three of trying to quit, I was able to convince myself that it was justifiable homicide if someone did so much as blink too fast around me.
So, just explain that in using said Nicotine products, you are “taking one for the team” and putting everyone’s well being above your own and, therefore, deserve a raise for being so selfless in promoting the health of everyone around you

You're not drinking water are you?! You realize that stuff is found in antifreeze!?!

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I didn't fill it out today but I plan on it eventually. Need to find some good studies

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I didn't fill it out today but I plan on it eventually. Need to find some good studies

Do you think they will read them? They seem to be stuck on nicotine rather than combustibles.

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I doubt they'd read studies. I was going to pull quotes and cite them.

I would still do it (quotes and citing). Even if just one person reads it, that's one more that's been educated. I would rather try than not try at all. If you (and others) try then there's a chance. If nobody tries then it's guaranteed that nobody will read it and be educated.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I doubt they'd read studies. I was going to pull quotes and cite them.

That they may read. Maybe it will at least give them something to think about concerning company policy. Won't change the insurance guidelines tho.

VU Sponsors