Become a Patron!

What do you use as wick?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi people.

I put in the general section, as I didn't know where to put it, hope this is the right place.

This is one of the things I should of asked months ago really.

What is there, that you can use for wicking, apart from Cotton and rayon? I fancy trying different wick types, see what I like best. I do prefer Rayon over cotton in most builds, although I have a lot more cotton (100% pure balls, 200, each one is good for about 5-6 wicks).

So, what else is there I can use to wick with? Anything that is known to be safe I am up for trying.

Thanks everyone.

richardward77

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hay is quite nice wicks well but funny taste for about 10ml juice,tissue paper wicks well especially triple quilted but when the missus buys lavender scented you get weird taste.lol just messing.

Sent from my ST23i using Tapatalk

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I use Koh Gen Do Japanese cotton...Compared to regular cotton or organic its a world of difference for me personally.

richardward77

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Seriously now I use muji cotton pads and have for months easy to work with wick well and don't take long to break in.

Sent from my ST23i using Tapatalk

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've used KGD but am currently using Puff Japanese Organic Cotton. Vapor Joe had a link awhile back where you got a 120 count pack L size (6x8mm) for ~ $5.50 shipped from Japan (through Amazon). They work great for me.

VapingN252

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
What about this Egyptian cotton I'm reading about. Looks like fluffed up regular cotton. May be something to it.

greencow

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Bought a bag of organic cotton balls forever ago, paid 2.50. Boiled 'em for 15 minutes and dried out overnight. Seems like I haven't even made a dent in my supply yet. Had a taste before I boiled it, it would subside after a bit of use. Nothing after boiling, neutral on taste, wicks awesome, and I don't feel bad rewicking my RDA's every night because it was so damn cheap. Works great with any of the juices I've used, even up to 80 VG.

John Vezirian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have a related question, I have various materials for wicking I do like using cotton, but I am unsure when I wick just how thick to make the cotton, should it fit loosely in the coil, just snug or have a little resistance when pulling through the coils. I have cotton pads, some really nice cotton rope, some silica ropes different sizes, and just ordered some wire mesh, I am going to try with a bottom tank unit and put the rope in the screen inside the coil....

greencow

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have a related question, I have various materials for wicking I do like using cotton, but I am unsure when I wick just how thick to make the cotton, should it fit loosely in the coil, just snug or have a little resistance when pulling through the coils. I have cotton pads, some really nice cotton rope, some silica ropes different sizes, and just ordered some wire mesh, I am going to try with a bottom tank unit and put the rope in the screen inside the coil....

You want it snug but not so much so that it's moving the coil when you're pulling it through. I like to pull the cotton through, past the middle point, and then pull it back and forth a few times to feel the resistance, this also loosens it up a bit. Cotton swells once you juice it up, if it's too tight it'll choke itself out and won't wick properly. You'll get dry hits real fast if you over wick.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Rayon for the win!

Things I've tried - Cotton balls, cotton yarn, silica, bamboo, KOGA cotton.

Other stuff I haven't tried - elfwick, Native Wicks, designer cottons (for lack of better terms), ReadyXwick, stainless mesh, stainless cable.

For me, rayon has way better flavor. Straight flavor from the first puff, cleaner, long lasting. Cottons either kept that cottony taste for too long, muted too quickly, burnt too easily. Silica.... well, no. DRY HITS DRY HITS DRY HITS!!! Bamboo was too earthy.

RAYON!!!!

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've used KGD but am currently using Puff Japanese Organic Cotton. Vapor Joe had a link awhile back where you got a 120 count pack L size (6x8mm) for ~ $5.50 shipped from Japan (through Amazon). They work great for me.
i got the same deal...work great for me as well

VU Sponsors