Become a Patron!

What factors contribute to coil spitting?

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wondering how to minimize spitting andnthe resulting gunk. What influences it?

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
vaping a too low of a power setting, using juices with lots of residual sugars (sweet juice), using an atty that was meant for lung hits with MTL.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Spitting-too high pg
Quality of the coils
Gunk-high Vg/sweet vapes
It doesn't matter what wattage you use all sweet thick juice will gunk ur coils...
Use clear non sweet vapes and try simple micro coils, and use high vg juice...

Vape On

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Spitting and gunk are caused by two different things.

Spitting happens when there is too much liquid. Could be a wicking issue, could be that your coils are sitting in the juice (either from over dripping, or being positioned too low). They will boil the loose juice around them causing it to spit.

Gunk is mostly caused by sugars in the juice caramelizing on the coils and building up.
Dark juices, sweet flavors, high vg juices.

Dmoney!

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Coils sitting to low, not wrapped tight or over dripping

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks. The problem RDA is my Haze Dripper Tank. I will try much shorter wick tails and see if that helps. I also noticed that I get less spitting with dual coils vs a single at the same ohms (0.45).

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have to disagree on high VG gunking up coils. I'm vaping 80-90 VG juice without coils gunking up. It's the dark, and sweet juices.

VG itself *is* basically sugar. Glycerin is a type of sugar.
It's made by extracting the sugars from vegetable oil.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have pinned spitting down to two things, from my own experience.
1 Flooded coils. Even a Kanger dual coil will spit when flooded, just like RDA coils.
2 High heat. The hotter you run, the more spitting coils will do.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Where did you hear that??

Simple, just do a google search for "how is vegetable glycerine made" and read a bunch of sites that say mostly the same thing.
Vegetable glycerin is produced using an extraction process called hydrolysis. During hydrolysis, oils are placed under the combined force of pressure, temperature, and water. The ester bond breaks and causes the glycerin to split from fatty acids and be absorbed by water; at which point the resultant is further isolated by distillation to increase purity.

Just do a google search for "glycerin" to see that it's a form of sugar, a Sugar Alcohol actually.
Hence why it is used as a sweetener in the food service industry as a sugar substitute. It's about 60% as sweet as sucrose, has similar calorie count to sugar, but is lower on the Glycemic index. It is classified as a carbohydrate.

Last edited:

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have pinned spitting down to two things, from my own experience.
1 Flooded coils. Even a Kanger dual coil will spit when flooded, just like RDA coils.
2 High heat. The hotter you run, the more spitting coils will do.
I have to agree. That would explain why a single coil spits more than a dual at the same ohms. I put in a dual coil build and shortened my wicks so that they just barely extend into the juice holes on my Haze Dripper Tank. Presto, no more spitting.

cass

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just FYI for those who may not know.......Obtaining Glycerin from fats (animal or vegetable) can be done with lye and water.......this is how soap is made.... the Lye/ Water mix is Basic and the Fat is an Acid........Fats contain triglycerides (compound made of three fatty acid molecules, attached to a single molecule of glycerol)....when the Acidic triglycerides contact the Basic Lye /Water combination, which can be sodium or potassium, it splits the Glycerol molecule, which becomes Glycerin, from the 3 soap Molecules (salt).......this is just a basic explanation of how Glycerin can be obtained....triglyceride + sodium hydroxide (or potassium hydroxide) → glycerol + 3 soap molecules....it is then further processed to separate the Salt (soap) from the glycerol.....Not sure but maybe this should not be posted here.....Let me know......

VU Sponsors