Become a Patron!

What I once thought was an easy answer

TumTumVapes

Member For 4 Years
so I got a few vaping American made tube v3 mods and the new descendant mod. Anyway long story short I sent them an email concerning battery placement on the descendant they said it was designed to be positive side facing down towards the vent hole.
I asked about the v3 when using the roughneck rda they said that unfortunately the vent holes in the bottom we're not big enough to be designed to vent this way.
My understanding is you want positive touching the atty. Is this still the same even with a roughneck rda? I don't see what difference that would make. Just want to make 100% sure and get others 2¢

UnholiestSpork

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
so I got a few vaping American made tube v3 mods and the new descendant mod. Anyway long story short I sent them an email concerning battery placement on the descendant they said it was designed to be positive side facing down towards the vent hole.
I asked about the v3 when using the roughneck rda they said that unfortunately the vent holes in the bottom we're not big enough to be designed to vent this way.
My understanding is you want positive touching the atty. Is this still the same even with a roughneck rda? I don't see what difference that would make. Just want to make 100% sure and get others 2¢
I have always been told that it is positive down, towards the vent holes So that, in case of emergency when the battery vents, it goes away from your face and not towards. But that is just what I have heard.

P.s. big fan of your Instagram page!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

spr258

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not an exspert but have two mechs. One with vent on top and one with a vent on the bottom. I put the positive facing the vent holes. From what I have found that is how the battery is suppose to be placed.

Cozymods

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Honestly me personally i don't really care that much which way.. All my batteries arc a lot (because i build pretty low) but i found doing positive side up prevents some of the arcing for some reason, so that's the way i do it from now on (even tho my vent holes are at the bottom). Also when a battery "vents" it releases just gases of the battery so one way or another it's gonna find it's way out (no matter what side you put the battery.. but preferably positive side towards the vent holes) what you need to be worried about is thermal runaway which basically means your battery turns into a "powerful firework" but.. it's really rare for that to happen (unless you are a dumbass lol) pretty sure it's called a short circuit that causes that (and the battery has to be extremely hot). in that case again it doesn't matter really that much the way you put your battery because your atty and button will probably both shoot out either way. (but prob positive down would be "maybe" a lil better but i wouldn't worry about it) ;) also friendly fact, the positive side is the weakest part of the battery so that's why people say do positive side towards vent holes (so if you have vent holes at the button or at the bottom of the tube you'd want to put the battery positive side down, if you are really worried about safety).

Last edited:

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Looked into this myself for a while as I’m getting a tube mech for Christmas on a mechanical tube doesn’t matter which way round you orientate although there are some things to note;

1) if you use an extension tube make sure batteries all face the same way!

2) My current understanding is face the positive where the vents holes are placed because the plastic vent which breaches in the event of a problem is located at the end of the positive terminal on the cell ...if gas can’t escape quickly you have a load of pressure essentially your are gonna have a bad day.

there are also important things in terms of battery orientation though

A) placing it positive side towards the atty, if for some reason the battery contacts the outer casing or fire button gets stuck then it will continually fire (if you build within the CDR rating of the battery though it will give you time to try and sort the problem out)

B) placing is negative side toward the atty, same thing again but this time it won’t do anything antil you press the fire button to complete the circuit ...problem is though this way round there is a hard short with next to no resistance and things get bad really quickly

But If this is the case why place vent holes at the bottom to start with that’s my question invited several more experienced than I in this field would like to know what they think on this

@f1r3b1rd @Carambrda @r055co @CashNVape

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
In my experience, alot of people have differing opinions on this.

I take the safety first mindset. If a battery vents it will vent from the top (positive end) I always place my batteries positive end towards the vent holes.

Neither the atty nor the electricity care what end touches the atty. The electrons will always flow to complete the circuit.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The idea behind placing the battery upside down is that we don't like battery rattle so there's usually not a whole lot of spacing between the inside of the tube and the battery, and, if pressure builds up inside the battery, the battery can swell up to the point where this spacing gets reduced to zero spacing. If that can happen, the battery should be placed with the positive side toward the vent holes. However, there can be exceptions to this. For example, if there are vent holes on either end of the tube. Vent holes at the top of the mod are closer to your face so that could be considered more dangerous. Vent holes at the bottom are closer to your hand so you stand a bigger chance of dropping the mod instead of quickly putting the mod down or tossing it or dropping it in a bucket of water. Vent holes at both ends might release the pressure faster so that, if the battery vents through these holes, the streams of burning hot gas that escape from them will have less force. So it really just depends on the design of the mod, etc.. But another thing to consider is, if the inside of the tube does not have an insulator lining, then if you put the battery upside down, you need to pay even more attention to the shrink wrap of the battery... if the side of the battery is uncovered and it touches the inside of the tube: boom! Whereas if the inside of the tube does have an insulator lining, then you might not feel on time that the battery is getting dangerously close to overheating... thus continue to vape until it is already too late.

Last edited:

Cozymods

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also pretty sure Mooch said that vent holes really don't help that much at all.. He said they would have to be huge for it to actually help (but don't quote me on this, trying to find the video). Also something off-topic RNV designs are doing right now "free worldwide" shipping, so to the U.S that would save you like 35$ ;) (I'm not a rep for them just wanna let you guys know. :hug: Also if you want a pouch for your tube they have a 24mm and a 25mm pouch, and awesome driptips.)

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Also pretty sure Mooch said that vent holes really don't help that much at all.. He said they would have to be huge for it to actually help (but don't quote me on this, trying to find the video). Also something off-topic RNV designs are doing right now "free worldwide" shipping, so to the U.S that would save you like 35$ ;) (I'm not a rep for them just wanna let you guys know. :hug: Also if you want a pouch for your tube they have a 24mm and a 25mm pouch, and awesome driptips.)
Vent holes help a lot actually, but what comes out of them if the battery vents is still hot enough to burn your skin. I see Vaping Biker's video interview with Mooch appears to have been taken down recently... I think the writing is on the wall.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Found it! Skip to exactly 1 hour in the video and continue to watch to 1:02:10
I see you are confusing two entirely different things... one is battery venting, the other is called thermal runaway. Just because the vent holes don't help when there's thermal runaway, doesn't also mean they can't help much when the battery vents, as these holes are there to let the pressure that's generated by the venting battery escape from the mod in order to prevent the mod from bursting apart and or potentially ripping the screw threads thus knocking the RDA against your teeth.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
So if the inside of the mech has some sort of plastic sleeve (broadside for instance) or a mech that takes 20700 cells but has a sleeve adaptor for 18650 (Barebones) is it then better to place cells negative towards the atty assuming vent holes are at the bottom?

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So if the inside of the mech has some sort of plastic sleeve (broadside for instance) or a mech that takes 21700 cells but has a sleeve adaptor for 18650 (Barebones) is it then better to place cells negative towards the atty assuming vent holes are at the bottom?
In the Broadside the vent holes are at the bottom, and, the insulator lining on the inside of the tube prevents the side of the battery from making electrical contact with the tube in the event that the shrink wrap of the battery is torn so this is a very clear example of a tube mod that's designed to have the battery upside down. The same applies to the Barebones, as it too has an insulator lining on the inside of the tube, and, the vent hole is a single cross shaped hole that's positioned on the side near the bottom end of the tube. The Barebones can't support 21700, though... it's just 18650 and 20700. The Vaperz Cloud Sarov can support 21700.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
In the Broadside the vent holes are at the bottom, and, the insulator lining on the inside of the tube prevents the side of the battery from making electrical contact with the tube in the event that the shrink wrap of the battery is torn so this is a very clear example of a tube mod that's designed to have the battery upside down. The same applies to the Barebones, as it too has an insulator lining on the inside of the tube, and, the vent hole is a single cross shaped hole that's positioned on the side near the bottom end of the tube. The Barebones can't support 21700, though... it's just 18650 and 20700. The Vaperz Cloud Sarov can support 21700.

Sorry typo on my part I’ll edit that

Wonder why more mechs don’t have the insulator seems like a no brainer to me

Cozymods

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I see you are confusing two entirely different things... one is battery venting, the other is called thermal runaway. Just because the vent holes don't help when there's thermal runaway, doesn't also mean they can't help much when the battery vents, as these holes are there to let the pressure that's generated by the venting battery escape from the mod in order to prevent the mod from bursting apart and or potentially ripping the screw threads thus knocking the RDA against your teeth.

Correct.. But i didn't say vent holes didn't have a purpose, yes they definitely help with "venting" i was saying it really doesn't matter which way you put your battery, and in thermal runaway it wouldn't matter. I did quote what mooch said. (that's it) also Mooch said if you have the positive side near the vent holes there would be a chance of the hot liquid gases to spray onto your hands, so in reality (maybe) the positive side should be away from the vent holes so the gases would spray the inside top of the tube then seep through the vent holes at the bottom (but.. not sure if the atty would come off or not)

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Correct.. But i didn't say vent holes didn't have a purpose, yes they definitely help with "venting" i was saying it really doesn't matter which way you put your battery, and in thermal runaway it wouldn't matter. I did quote what mooch said. (that's it) also Mooch said if you have the positive side near the vent holes there would be a chance of the hot liquid gases to spray onto your hands, so in reality (maybe) the positive side should be away from the vent holes so the gases would spray the inside top of the tube then seep through the vent holes at the bottom (but.. not sure if the atty would come off or not)
If the gas gets trapped due to the battery blocking the passageway between the top of the battery and the vent holes as the battery swells up in there before it starts to vent, the pressure buildup inside the battery might actually cause the battery to enter thermal runaway, on impact after you toss the mod when the battery vents. Mooch actually said that in another video (not sure which video, but it could have been the one from Vaping Biker, and that one has been taken down recently it seems)... there was one reported incident where this factually did happen, again according to Mooch so it depends.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
If the gas gets trapped due to the battery blocking the passageway between the top of the battery and the vent holes as the battery swells up in there before it starts to vent, the pressure buildup inside the battery might actually cause the battery to enter thermal runaway, on impact after you toss the mod when the battery vents. Mooch actually said that in another video (not sure which video, but it could have been the one from Vaping Biker, and that one has been taken down recently it seems)... there was one reported incident where this factually did happen, again according to Mooch so it depends.

It was the one with the vaping biker yeah

TumTumVapes

Member For 4 Years
Thanks so much everyone for all the great info and links. I think I have a better understanding of this whole topic now, I like to understand things just versus being told that's why LOL I always get that vaping underground. Like for real bunch of great points. I was using positive side down for a min because some of my atty would dent in the positive side and tossed to many vtc3 doing that. You are all the best thk again

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Sorry typo on my part I’ll edit that

Wonder why more mechs don’t have the insulator seems like a no brainer to me

It was simply never thought of for a long time.
You have to remember that up u t recently building a 0.8 ohm single coil on a Mech was considered crazy talk.
Hell, up until a year ago I wouldn’t go below a 0.3ohm dual coil.
The plastic sleeve was probably consider overkill by most modders. I’m speculating there but they probably figured most people k ew to check wraps.
Personally I think the sleeve is a
Good idea alone with a good 510 insulator on hybrids.

Back to venting, it’s a good idea to
Keep In mind that if it appears to be absent of clear vent holes most Mechanicals will have some built in venting at the button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It was simply never thought of for a long time.
You have to remember that up u t recently building a 0.8 ohm single coil on a Mech was considered crazy talk.
Hell, up until a year ago I wouldn’t go below a 0.3ohm dual coil.
The plastic sleeve was probably consider overkill by most modders. I’m speculating there but they probably figured most people k ew to check wraps.
Personally I think the sleeve is a
Good idea alone with a good 510 insulator on hybrids.

Back to venting, it’s a good idea to
Keep In mind that if it appears to be absent of clear vent holes most Mechanicals will have some built in venting at the button.

Well the side of the battery is negative so if the inside of the tube is negative too, then a torn wrap doesn't short circuit the battery as easily compared to when the inside of the tube is positive. (The inside of the tube is positive if you put the battery upside down.)

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well the side of the battery is negative so if the inside of the tube is negative too, then a torn wrap doesn't short circuit the battery as easily compared to when the inside of the tube is positive. (The inside of the tube is positive if you put the battery upside down.)

I reckon I’m of the thought process that you can never have to much protection

You would understand if you knew my ex

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I reckon I’m of the thought process that you can never have to much protection

You would understand if you knew my ex

True, but like I said the insulator lining also can prevent the user from feeling that the battery is getting close to overheating until it is already too late so I don't think it necessarily adds to safety. Some of the safest tube mods out there IMO don't use an insulator lining: Purge Mods.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Ok, I’ll bite
What makes purge safer? Say compared to subohm innovations, Rig mods, Kennedy or vaperZcloud

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ok, I’ll bite
What makes purge safer? Say compared to subohm innovations, Rig mods, Kennedy or vaperZcloud

If you've ever been in a car crash before, I think you'll know why... most other tube mods use the kind of metal that's much too thin. Another important factor is the design of the button so if you think they made it both hollow AND huge just because it looks cool, think again.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Please educate me on how that would prevent venting or thermal runaway in the event of a torn battery wrap.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Please educate me on how that would prevent venting or thermal runaway in the event of a torn battery wrap.

More metal absorbs more heat causing the battery to heat up slower and that can buy you more time to react before it's already too late, augmented by the fact the mod itself also heats up slower so less risk getting your fingers burned and thereby dropping the mod right in front of you where it can still enter thermal runaway on impact. The thicker metal also uses stronger screw threads that can handle more pressure, whereas most other mods can get ripped apart easily and in the event of thermal runaway create really dangerous shrapnel. The thicker metal also helps protect the battery in the event of other accidents not caused directly by vaping, such as traffic accidents, dropping the mod in front of a moving truck, heavy earthquakes and storms, etc.. The mods are designed to not use the battery upside down so that a torn battery wrap does not easily cause a dead short... I already explained this previously. A more reliable button doesn't get stuck as easily so this also helps prevent overheating the battery. The button is easy to unscrew, and the button doesn't as easily get too hot for you to be able to hold it long enough to stand a chance of unscrewing the button AND still be able to put the mod down safely after that. So there are multiple factors.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
what about a mech that has no insulator but also has vent holes at the bottom which way do you orientate then?

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
i can see why new vapors get confused. Between the silent logic and the loud, boisterous, justification of a HEMO (High End Mod Only), it can be hard differentiate what is best for an individuals needs.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
what about a mech that has no insulator but also has vent holes at the bottom which way do you orientate then?
Normally in such a mod I would put the battery upside down unless the manufacturer says don't do it.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
i can see why new vapors get confused. Between the silent logic and the loud, boisterous, justification of a HEMO (High End Mod Only), it can be hard differentiate what is best for an individuals needs.
A high end mod isn't necessarily always safer than a cheapskate clone. Remember all the safety designs in the world combined still can't fix plain stupidity or ignorance, and the exact same also applies to a regulated mod so the only standard answer is always, "it depends".

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I need something clarified, with this battery upside-down or not thread -

Can you put a battery in negative terminal- up in all single tube mechanical mods, can you do it in direct battery to 510 tubes, only in mods with a 510 pin built in?

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I learned something new, eh... I never put in a battery "upside down"

Thanks.

What was the answer Meg sorry can’t load the vid at the moment

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
What was the answer Meg sorry can’t load the vid at the moment

Answer is upside down is okay UNLESS YOUR BATTERY WRAP IS TORN, THEN NO!

I was almost smarmy and wanted to demand a typed answer, but I calmed down.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Answer is upside down is okay UNLESS YOUR BATTERY WRAP IS TORN, THEN NO!

I was almost smarmy and wanted to demand a typed answer, but I calmed down.

Ahh yeah managed to watch it now ...what I originally wrote up top

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Ok another question with hot fire buttons particularly through arcing

Now which way is best to orientate the battery or does that not make a difference

(Assume here the button contact isn’t too big for the positive end in the first place)

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ok another question with hot fire buttons particularly through arcing

Now which way is best to orientate the battery or does that not make a difference

(Assume here the button contact isn’t too big for the positive end in the first place)
Please check the link I posted in my previous reply to the thread... the best way is to just ask the manufacturer first.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Please check the link I posted in my previous reply to the thread... the best way is to just ask the manufacturer first.

Nothing in there answers my question though so let me rephrase it

Take two mechs

One says orientate positive up
Other says orientate negative up

Both are suffering from hot fire button with possible arcing which then is more unsafe In this situation?

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I’ve said this before, but will preface this post with the statement again.
I always err on the side of safety

I will also always give advice from the position of safety first. I’m not an authority nor an expert; and, I don’t believe one exists in the world of vaping. There are just too many variables for there to be one person who knows everything.

That said, no matter what mod you’re using, never use a battery with a torn wrapper. Especially mechmods.

Wrappers are around a nickel a piece and can be swapped out with a hair dryer. There is no reason to keep a naked or near naked battery at that cost of repair.

As to the video, I didn’t watch it. A persons argument tends to lose credibility to me when they start talking like a fanboy or think they know everything there is to know. We all have our favorite mod; but, when you’re making Zero logical sense, your argument just becomes self-justification in my humblest of opinions.

Now, as to the battery direction, I can still remember a time when no matter what, the battery pointed positive up towards the 510.
At some point in time that started to change when venting was put into the button or off to the side of the bottom. This was done so that should something happen it would prevent gases burning your face, since most would rather lose a hand.
Is it effective? -I don’t know
Is it written in stone? I don’t know
Is it ideal? I don’t know

I figure the safest thing to do is build within battery spec, use an ohm meter, check your wrappers, if you’re using a hybrid check your 510, and vape safe

Doing that I’ve not had an issue in 5 years.
Also, when I question something I ask people who would know for
Certain. In this case, I would Email the manufacturer of the mod and find out from the horses mouth. Other than that, we’re all just a bunch of horses asses :)

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Going from Your Video, it says nothing about dangers of torn battery insulator EXCEPT when putting battery positive end down.

That was in YOUR VIDEO, maybe you could have taken 5 more seconds to type out an answer for "all us ignoramuses"
It's not MY video. In fact Mooch himself linked that video in one of his most recent posts over at ecf, but EVERY new vaper should know BEFORE starting to vape on a Lithium rechargeable battery the fact that a torn battery wrap is ALWAYS a recipe for explosive disaster.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I repeat:
As to the video, I didn’t watch it. A persons argument tends to lose credibility to me when they start talking like a fanboy or think they know everything there is to know. We all have our favorite mod; but, when you’re making Zero logical sense, your argument just becomes self-justification in my humblest of opinions.

Hence I won’t bother wasting my time.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I repeat:

Hence I won’t bother wasting my time.

I'm not talking like a fanboy at all. My arguments were well-founded and all made perfect logical sense, but you are just unwilling to accept that, and I certainly don't think I know everything there is to know... what I do know is that "Some of the safest" is not the same thing as "THE safest".

VU Sponsors