Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Nothing in there answers my question though so let me rephrase it

Take two mechs

One says orientate positive up
Other says orientate negative up

Both are suffering from hot fire button with possible arcing which then is more unsafe In this situation?
Arcing should not matter in this regard, but even that also depends. As long as the spot(s) where the arcing happens are not damaging anything, it makes no real difference, but if the sparks can damage the insulator ring around the positive end of the battery, that would change things.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I’ve said this before, but will preface this post with the statement again.
I always err on the side of safety

I will also always give advice from the position of safety first. I’m not an authority nor an expert; and, I don’t believe one exists in the world of vaping. There are just too many variables for there to be one person who knows everything.

That said, no matter what mod you’re using, never use a battery with a torn wrapper. Especially mechmods.

Wrappers are around a nickel a piece and can be swapped out with a hair dryer. There is no reason to keep a naked or near naked battery at that cost of repair.

As to the video, I didn’t watch it. A persons argument tends to lose credibility to me when they start talking like a fanboy or think they know everything there is to know. We all have our favorite mod; but, when you’re making Zero logical sense, your argument just becomes self-justification in my humblest of opinions.

Now, as to the battery direction, I can still remember a time when no matter what, the battery pointed positive up towards the 510.
At some point in time that started to change when venting was put into the button or off to the side of the bottom. This was done so that should something happen it would prevent gases burning your face, since most would rather lose a hand.
Is it effective? -I don’t know
Is it written in stone? I don’t know
Is it ideal? I don’t know

I figure the safest thing to do is build within battery spec, use an ohm meter, check your wrappers, if you’re using a hybrid check your 510, and vape safe

Doing that I’ve not had an issue in 5 years.
Also, when I question something I ask people who would know for
Certain. In this case, I would Email the manufacturer of the mod and find out from the horses mouth. Other than that, we’re all just a bunch of horses asses :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course, that was one of the first things I learned about before I bought my first SMPL mod, battery safety all around. Also always "positive to positive (510)", I missed the period when batteries upside down was brought about.

Stepping out now, since if I wonder about which way to orient my battery based on safety in event of venting, I'd be better off leaving mechanicals alone altogether. This is not my thread, I just wanted something clarified for myself and anyone else unfamiliar with batteries upside down

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Of course, that was one of the first things I learned about before I bought my first SMPL mod, battery safety all around. Also always "positive to positive (510)", I missed the period when batteries upside down was brought about.

Stepping out now, since if I wonder about which way to orient my battery based on safety in event of venting, I'd be better off leaving mechanicals alone altogether. This is not my thread, I just wanted something clarified for myself and anyone else unfamiliar with batteries upside down

No reason to step out. It’s an honest curiosity and something important to understand.

I try and think of things in terms of numbers. If you’re wondering, than others are as well. You just happen to be the one that asked.

Others will read this thread and not say anything at all, yet be grateful for the answers that helped them derive their own understanding.

I’m glad that you brought it up, though. I believe kingpin, pulsevape and I have written a general safety guidelines for new Mech users scattered around the forum.

If memory serves it started more with the ‘comp’ crowd. I could be wrong, but I first heard about it when I bought my first, ‘competition’ mod. I’m not a super sub ohmer or even a cloud chaser, I just prefer The conductivity, and workmanship of the comp type mods. (And most don’t have many engravings)

In any event, I was at my friends shop and a longtime Mech user flipped my battery and started to tell me how all the cool kids were doing it because that particular mod (flagship)vented from the button. That was 2 years ago now.
So if you missed something, so did I.

In all honesty it’s more important to respect them than understand them. Besides, they aren’t anything overly complicated to understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Arcing should not matter in this regard, but even that also depends. As long as the spot(s) where the arcing happens are not damaging anything, it makes no real difference, but if the sparks can damage the insulator ring around the positive end of the battery, that would change things.

So out of the two scenarios I described the positIve side towards the atty poses the lesser risk out of the two.

But I assume it’s largely down the size of the button contact here in that there’s no reason for it to arc away from the positive terminal itself unless the contact is too big in the first place

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So out of the two scenarios I described the positIve side towards the atty poses the lesser risk out of the two.
That depends. Different mod designs have different safety features, and this holds true for both regulated and unregulated mods... just because a manufacturer says it's better to do it this or that way doesn't also mean there are no manufacturers that can make terrible mistakes, and, if the user misunderstands how the safety features work (or is careless about them), then it might in fact still be entirely possible that some of these features add more risk instead of help reduce it. Human perception of safety in conjunction with human reflexes and thought processes can also either make it or break it. Anyone who has ever watched Air Crash Investigation on National Geographic Channel should be familiar with the general nature of the issue by now.
But I assume it’s largely down the size of the button contact here in that there’s no reason for it to arc away from the positive terminal itself unless the contact is too big in the first place
Yes but that also depends, as now you are assuming the arcing happens between the button contact and the battery. If I put the extension piece on my brass Vaperz Cloud XXX, with two batteries in series the voltage is much higher compared to using only a single battery, causing the older VC Tech switch to arc around the edges of the button contact so that it leaves a circular mark on the battery.... whereas, after I replaced the mod's bottom section with the new bottom section that uses the newer switch (Comp-S switch), the arcing was gone completely because now the contact that's doing the switching is no longer pushing directly against the battery each time when the button is pressed.

So you have to look at all factors combined as a whole instead of just trying to break it down and oversimplify the whole thing.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
That depends. Different mod designs have different safety features, and this holds true for both regulated and unregulated mods... just because a manufacturer says it's better to do it this or that way doesn't also mean there are no manufacturers that can make terrible mistakes, and, if the user misunderstands how the safety features work (or is careless about them), then it might in fact still be entirely possible that some of these features add more risk instead of help reduce it. Human perception of safety in conjunction with human reflexes and thought processes can also either make it or break it. Anyone who has ever watched Air Crash Investigation on National Geographic Channel should be familiar with the general nature of the issue by now.

Yes but that also depends, as now you are assuming the arcing happens between the button contact and the battery. If I put the extension piece on my brass Vaperz Cloud XXX, with two batteries in series the voltage is much higher compared to using only a single battery, causing the older VC Tech switch to arc around the edges of the button contact so that it leaves a circular mark on the battery.... whereas, after I replaced the mod's bottom section with the new bottom section that uses the newer switch (Comp-S switch), the arcing was gone completely because now the contact that's doing the switching is no longer pushing directly against the battery each time when the button is pressed.

So you have to look at all factors combined as a whole instead of just trying to break it down and oversimplify the whole thing.

the bottom half of your reply is the kind of picture I’m trying to build up here because it’s those sorts of things I and others reading this will find really useful to look out for...so if I’m starting from a position of simplicity it’s only because I have to start somewhere to draw out the answers :)

I’ve read a lot of mechs are this or that type threads around VU but not so many here’s my experiences using them and what to look out for when choosing between good and bad ones

Even good mechs might have quirks only using them can give you insight to hence why this orientation discussion has peaked my interest to ask more about it

Edit: so when you described the upgrade there what do you mean it no longer pushes against the battery?

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
the bottom half of your reply is the kind of picture I’m trying to build up here because it’s those sorts of things I and others reading this will find really useful to look out for...so if I’m starting from a position of simplicity it’s only because I have to start somewhere to draw out the answers :)

I’ve read a lot of mechs are this or that type threads around VU but not so many here’s my experiences using them and what to look out for when choosing between good and bad ones

Even good mechs might have quirks only using them can give you insight to hence why this orientation discussion has peaked my interest to ask more about it

Edit: so when you described the upgrade there what do you mean it no longer pushes against the battery?
The Comp-S switch uses two separate contacts... one gets pushed against the battery when you screw the bottom section of the mod onto the top section of the mod, the other one gets pushed against the former one when you press the button. Arcing in between these two separate contacts is prevented by a round spring that provides the initial contact just before the button is fully pressed, and that also keeps it from misfiring so it's working like a champ─both in theory and in practice. :cool:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
The Comp-S switch uses two separate contacts... one gets pushed against the battery when you screw the bottom section of the mod onto the top section of the mod, the other one gets pushed against the former one when you press the button. Arcing in between these two separate contacts is prevented by a round spring that provides the initial contact just before the button is fully pressed, and that also keeps it from misfiring so it's working like a champ─both in theory and in practice. :cool:

That’s sounds similar to the switch in the barebones?

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That’s sounds similar to the switch in the barebones?
That's right, both buttons use separate contacts to avoid arcing against the battery (and in fact they do so by avoiding arcing altogether, which is actually quite ingenious IMO), yet the designs are still very much different nevertheless. But then, the same also applies to the BJ Box Mods Broadside and Admiral, as well as The 99 by Vapergate (the Broadside's biggest most powerful handsome brother).

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Been on the hunt for those were the broadsides and 99s made in limited batch runs?

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Been on the hunt for those were the broadsides and 99s made in limited batch runs?
Not that I know of. Not too long ago The 99 was still on sale at Evolution Vaping for only £84.99 but now it is no longer listed on their site.

EDIT: Well there do exist a few different limited editions of the regular version Broadside.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors