Become a Patron!

What is more dangerous? Laptop-like battery or mech mod?

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ahh but the difference is that Chainsaws come with directions for safe use..
Almost no vaping gear comes with proper safety warnings or proper operation instructions.
And none of the legit battery makers even intend that their batteries be used for vaping.

the CPSC WILL take over safety regs mods at some point.

That's a fair point. So I guess a large part of the problem with vaping is the total lack of clear info that this is NOT a toy, these are NOT your standard alkaline batteries, and some care needs to be taken to ensure a safe outcome. All of which seems somewhat obvious to me, though I confess, I really had no idea how powerful these batteries are, until I read and questioned a great deal, over at Butthole Central. That definitely needs to be underlined for all new users.

But even so... I still feel that the major problem is just the general stupidity at play nowadays in the world, for which, partly, we can blame the nannies with their "contents is hot" on coffee cups and "not intended for human consumption" on fucking laundry detergent. It's become so that if there isn't any info about the potential dangers of some product, nobody questions, nobody asks, they just figure that what they already know -- little or nothing -- is all they need to know.

I wish we could go back to "you pays yer quarter, you takes yer chances," but that isn't very likely.

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We have the blameless society moving up in our ranks.
Of course they are just following their leaders examples.

The debbil made me do it.
illegal immigrants.
Someone of a different skin tone.
A different religion.
A different sex.
Doesn't speak my language.
You name it. It is not my fault they put that curve in the road and caused me to run in the ditch!

I worked in retail home improvement and lawn equipment for the last 5 years.
You just can't fix stupid.

I was beginning to hate people in general.

Retirement is SOOOOO nice.

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Actually I'd say 33% to each of those, and 33% to the user himself, for not doing his homework. Nobody can be expected to know all that a vaper needs to know, right off the bat, but those of us who've kept with it, did our homework -- most of us here, simply by hanging around a vaping forum and absorbing the knowledge of the group-consciousness; asking questions of what we didn't understand, or just following along with the Q&A's of others. Anyone who buys any sort of new tool needs to know how to use that tool, and if they don't even bother asking, then it's at least partly their own fault -- at Home Depot, if you buy a chainsaw, there's an expectation that you know how to use a chainsaw, and that if you don't, you ask questions, read stuff, etc. It's not Home Depot's fault if you manage to cut off a limb.

Andria
Say you walk in to buy a bottle of vodka that clearly says 40% ABV but the bottle is actually filled with everclear 90% ABV
is it my fault for buying a mislabeled bottle or the people that put the label on the bottle in the first place?

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Say you walk in to buy a bottle of vodka that clearly says 40% ABV but the bottle is actually filled with everclear 90% ABV
is it my fault for buying a mislabeled bottle or the people that put the label on the bottle in the first place?

Those who mislabeled the bottle! And you're right about the battery makers, it's a crying shame, but they're in China, there's little or nothing that the US can about it... except be vigilant.

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Those who mislabeled the bottle! And you're right about the battery makers, it's a crying shame, but they're in China, there's little or nothing that the US can about it... except be vigilant.

Andria
Batteries could be tested by the CPSC and those not matching labels could be banned from import.
And if a company keeps violating labeling requirements all imports from that company could be banned from import.

Sad that we actually need a nanny state govt to protect us from corporations sometimes.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Batteries could be tested by the CPSC and those not matching labels could be banned from import.
And if a company keeps violating labeling requirements all imports from that company could be banned from import.

Sad that we actually need a nanny state govt to protect us from corporations sometimes.

That was actually the reason for the very first nannying that our gov't undertook; the USDA and the FDA, to protect us from the unscrupulous in both food and drugs. If they'd stuck to that, instead of going on the payroll of the unscrupulous, vapers wouldn't be in this mess.

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That was actually the reason for the very first nannying that our gov't undertook; the USDA and the FDA, to protect us from the unscrupulous in both food and drugs. If they'd stuck to that, instead of going on the payroll of the unscrupulous, vapers wouldn't be in this mess.

Andria
It seems to always be a minority messing it up for the majority.

gamingmaster1

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would say laptop battery is more dangerous because once it gets ignite, it will explode like a propane. I would not mess with laptop battery when it comes to handling them.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am beginning to think that Antarctica is where the Nibruites live.

As far as placing blame on a Vape Shop for selling someone a SMPL mod and And A subtank for it with efest batteries.
They can advise the customer but they are not allowed to refuse to sell to them unless clearly drunk, etc or not of the proper age.

Back when a 18 yr old could buy rifles and shotguns in KY. I tried to buy a shotgun at a store, they told me I had to be 21. I went down the street to the police station and got a cop to go back with me and tell them the law. I got the shotgun, still have it.

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"do not attempt to stop blade with genitals."

We should take off all warning labels and let Darwins Law rule the land.

First month or 2 will be alittle rough but the video's will be entertaining.
Damn you mean your not supposed to do that? I had a roommate that would think it was funny to take the cover off our fan and try to stop it while it was on with his tongue, one day I decided to glue razor blades to the fan blades... needless to say he stopped after that... ;]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Andria
We could identify such mislabeled batteries and forbid the importation and sale of them.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Here I go again; gonna get in trouble and piss someone off..............

Aren't we supposed to be mad at the Russians for spreading misinformation?

Nope, just for getting Trump elected:giggle::devil:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To enforce battery regulation the government/public has to acknowledge the problem first, but it's much easier for them to blame e-cigs in general then the battery in them.
Yep and therein lies the problem....
Reasonable regulation is needed in areas of the vape industry.
Stupid rabid fear of all things vaping related is not needed at all. But is what we seem to have in the majority of US citizens.
Our Enquireristic drama based media is largely to blame.
We have NO real news media left, just commentators and fear mongers.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Yep and therein lies the problem....
Reasonable regulation is needed in areas of the vape industry.
Stupid rabid fear of all things vaping related is not needed at all. But is what we seem to have in the majority of US citizens.
Our Enquireristic drama based media is largely to blame.
We have NO real news media left, just commentators and fear mongers.

The Key Word is REASONABLE.

Something our government is not normally associated with.

And I agree, we have no impartial news media left.

Where is Walter Cronkite when we need him most?

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The thing is that most people (and a lot of vapers) are clueless, so it's easier to say NO rather then educating the public when and why not.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Or even Geraldo Rivera!

There are no actual journalists anymore. Newspapers are pretty much dead thanks to the internet, and TV/radio news is just a mass-media commodity; it's not news, it's just happy noise to get people to listen to those all-important ADVERTISEMENTS!

Andria

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

And Edward R. Murrow? It's pathetic that today the only real investigative journalists are hacker's.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Selkie

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Lets not forget SMPL type of mods and such that come with no instructions of how to use them safely.
I once completely rewrote a user manual on a fiber optics polishing machine.very important when it comes to a bunch of stuff , anyhow the manufacturer thanked and wanted to pay me. I said no but it told me long ago Asian companies are not interested in writing properly defined manuals.that was a thirty thousand dollar machine. So imagine how enthused they are over trying to to do so on a hundred dollar mod. Hmmm

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"On the other hand, I don't know a single case of 5Amp (laptop-powerbank-like batteries) in mods with problem, especially use it like 5Amp battery (3v*15Amp=15 watts per battery, 30 watts on dualbattery, especially parallel battery mod)."

I think that may well be because you are one of the very few people that uses recycled, old batteries with a low amp rating in their mods. Sure, what you are doing is possible to do so without injury, but so is jumping from roof to roof of tower blocks. You might get away with doing it all your life, but a lot of people could miss that roof on their first attempt and fall.

You do realise as a battery ages, its CDR also drops? So those batteries if they really are past it might not even be good for 5A, and any gains in capacity you feel you are getting, you really aren't if they have had multiple charge and discharge cycles.
You could get some safe, 3000MAH batteries for your use and will notice better performance.

I would say using a regulated mod in this way is more dangerous than using a mech mod which you compare it too. Yes, regulated mods have lots of built in protections, but relying on them to skimp on batteries is not good.

Also, at 30W you are probably going over 10A and this is at 90% efficiency at a cutoff of 3.1V- 10.75A. Please just stop using these batteries.

Dagoroth

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
As for as I know using laptop obtained 18650 's isn't dangerous as long as you don't exceed the maximum amperage discharge limits.

The same could be said with mechanical mods. Don't over discharge your batteries, don't exceed the maximum pulse/continuous amperage limits and know what ohm you are running with whatever coil you choose to use.

James

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I agree with Dagoroth . And would like to add , Beware of short circuit's .

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can't believe this thread is still alive :facepalm:

Unless you live in a third world country just spend the $4-5$ on authentic Samsung, Sony or LG's. Re-purposing recycled Laptop (or any other for that fact) batteries is fucking idiotic.

James

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I can't believe this thread is still alive :facepalm:

Unless you live in a third world country just spend the $4-5$ on authentic Samsung, Sony or LG's. Re-purposing recycled Laptop (or any other for that fact) batteries is fucking idiotic.

Well now , everyone like new cells . The problem is I am in Canada and getting batterys is hell .
Getting Good batterys is even harder .

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well now , everyone like new cells . The problem is I am in Canada and getting batterys is hell .
Getting Good batterys is even harder .
Not that I can tell, know a number of Canadian Vapers of forums, they don't seem to have problems. I also did a quick google

Vape stores
https://www.dashvapes.com/products/batteries+and+chargers/19/25
https://acevaper.ca/product/sony-vtc5-18650-battery-toronto-canada/

I'm also pretty sure IMR Batteries and Liion Wholesale also ship to Canada. I also know you can get batteries from Fasttech, it just takes much longer for Fasttech to ship batteries.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I thought it was only the FDA who says Batteries Contain Nicotine?

I am using laptop batteries for many years for lightning of ruins... and also for vaping, not in mechs, but in regulated boxes. Its important to know parameters of batteries, so I dont use batteries which I dont know. I am electrician, I know it is dangerous, but my vaping is only to 15W... why to risk buying fake batteries, if I have my own, tested and measured? My Panasonic NCR18650D is working longer than Efest IMR18650 3000MAh 35A in Joyetech Elitar with 0,76Ohm coil on 12W... So its everybody own problem and risk.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am using laptop batteries for many years for lightning of ruins... and also for vaping, not in mechs, but in regulated boxes. Its important to know parameters of batteries, so I dont use batteries which I dont know. I am electrician, I know it is dangerous, but my vaping is only to 15W... why to risk buying fake batteries, if I have my own, tested and measured? My Panasonic NCR18650D is working longer than Efest IMR18650 3000MAh 35A in Joyetech Elitar with 0,76Ohm coil on 12W... So its everybody own problem and risk.

What do you mean by lightning of ruins? If English is not your first language, my apologies, just was not sure what you meant there.

The Panasonic probably does last longer than the Efest, it could be anything under that wrapper. Also, at 12W, assuming a 3.1V cut off, is drawing around 4 amps from the cell.

No 18650 battery from the big manufacturers is intended for vaping, but it still is better to use a new battery vs an old one from a recycled laptop battery pack. You have no idea how many cycles they have had, and CDR does fall over time.

At the power levels you are using the risks are minimal, but this is one instance I would recommend using an Efest. The Efest is new, and a slight increase in vape time isn't worth it using a old, recycled battery.

What do you mean by lightning of ruins? If English is not your first language, my apologies, just was not sure what you meant there.

The Panasonic probably does last longer than the Efest, it could be anything under that wrapper. Also, at 12W, assuming a 3.1V cut off, is drawing around 4 amps from the cell.

No 18650 battery from the big manufacturers is intended for vaping, but it still is better to use a new battery vs an old one from a recycled laptop battery pack. You have no idea how many cycles they have had, and CDR does fall over time.

At the power levels you are using the risks are minimal, but this is one instance I would recommend using an Efest. The Efest is new, and a slight increase in vape time isn't worth it using a old, recycled battery.

I am sorry, English is not my first language. Lightning of ruins I mean the ruins of old castles and churches (we preserve them to last for next generations), so I need powerfull lights (10-30W) on batteries for long time.
I can test my batteries for heating (on discharge). Another reason I am using Panasonic CGR and NCR batteries (not all types) is, that chemistry of them is hybrid IMR (safer than ICR). I tested it for overheating and also for stability - with hammer :p - but no one explodes.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am sorry, English is not my first language. Lightning of ruins I mean the ruins of old castles and churches (we preserve them to last for next generations), so I need powerfull lights (10-30W) on batteries for long time.
I can test my batteries for heating (on discharge). Another reason I am using Panasonic CGR and NCR batteries (not all types) is, that chemistry of them is hybrid IMR (safer than ICR). I tested it for overheating and also for stability - with hammer :p - but no one explodes.

No need to apologise, I just guessed from how you worded things English wasn't your first language- but you are doing a pretty good job with it, better than some natives lol!

That sounds really cool, I was over at the Budget light forum for a while, and have a few high power flashlights myself. I don't do anything as cool as preserving castles though :D . What kind of lights do you use, as in models etc?

It seems you know what you are doing which is good. I would still recommend a new battery over a recycled one, but you aren't pushing them at all really. Hitting them with a hammer might not be the best way to test stability, leave that to the professionals lol.

No need to apologise, I just guessed from how you worded things English wasn't your first language- but you are doing a pretty good job with it, better than some natives lol!

That sounds really cool, I was over at the Budget light forum for a while, and have a few high power flashlights myself. I don't do anything as cool as preserving castles though :D . What kind of lights do you use, as in models etc?

It seems you know what you are doing which is good. I would still recommend a new battery over a recycled one, but you aren't pushing them at all really. Hitting them with a hammer might not be the best way to test stability, leave that to the professionals lol.
I am professional :) I am electronic (electromechanic) in big international company and working twenty years with IT... so I have some "basics" :)

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile

Andria
ok its an older post but I had to respond. You contact the Consumer Complaints department of the Republic of China. Complaints against made in China products affect the economy, and the Republic of China don't like anything that has a negative impact on the economy. I've heard of fines up to $25000 USD per INCIDENT.

VU Sponsors