What is more dangerous? Laptop-like battery or mech mod?

Discussion in 'What NOT to do!' started by Dreamject, Dec 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. AndriaD

AndriaD Shine on, you crazy... VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 2 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    That's a fair point. So I guess a large part of the problem with vaping is the total lack of clear info that this is NOT a toy, these are NOT your standard alkaline batteries, and some care needs to be taken to ensure a safe outcome. All of which seems somewhat obvious to me, though I confess, I really had no idea how powerful these batteries are, until I read and questioned a great deal, over at Butthole Central. That definitely needs to be underlined for all new users.

But even so... I still feel that the major problem is just the general stupidity at play nowadays in the world, for which, partly, we can blame the nannies with their "contents is hot" on coffee cups and "not intended for human consumption" on fucking laundry detergent. It's become so that if there isn't any info about the potential dangers of some product, nobody questions, nobody asks, they just figure that what they already know -- little or nothing -- is all they need to know.

I wish we could go back to "you pays yer quarter, you takes yer chances," but that isn't very likely.

Andria

2. The Cromwell

The Cromwell VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    We have the blameless society moving up in our ranks.
    Of course they are just following their leaders examples.

The debbil made me do it.
    illegal immigrants.
    Someone of a different skin tone.
    A different religion.
    A different sex.
    Doesn't speak my language.
    You name it. It is not my fault they put that curve in the road and caused me to run in the ditch!

I worked in retail home improvement and lawn equipment for the last 5 years.
    You just can't fix stupid.

I was beginning to hate people in general.

Retirement is SOOOOO nice.

Diescum88, Reign and AndriaD like this.
  3. Rabbit Slayer

Rabbit Slayer Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Say you walk in to buy a bottle of vodka that clearly says 40% ABV but the bottle is actually filled with everclear 90% ABV
    is it my fault for buying a mislabeled bottle or the people that put the label on the bottle in the first place?

r055co likes this.
  4. kevin littell

kevin littell Bronze Contributor Member For 1 Year ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    "do not attempt to stop blade with genitals."

We should take off all warning labels and let Darwins Law rule the land.

First month or 2 will be alittle rough but the video's will be entertaining.

UncleRJ, Diescum88 and AndriaD like this.
  5. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    You got a good deal!

Jim_MDP and Rabbit Slayer like this.
  6. AndriaD

AndriaD Shine on, you crazy... VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 2 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Those who mislabeled the bottle! And you're right about the battery makers, it's a crying shame, but they're in China, there's little or nothing that the US can about it... except be vigilant.

Andria

Rabbit Slayer likes this.
  7. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    Batteries could be tested by the CPSC and those not matching labels could be banned from import.
    And if a company keeps violating labeling requirements all imports from that company could be banned from import.

Sad that we actually need a nanny state govt to protect us from corporations sometimes.

AndriaD likes this.
  8. AndriaD

Blog Posts:
    That was actually the reason for the very first nannying that our gov't undertook; the USDA and the FDA, to protect us from the unscrupulous in both food and drugs. If they'd stuck to that, instead of going on the payroll of the unscrupulous, vapers wouldn't be in this mess.

Andria

9. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    It seems to always be a minority messing it up for the majority.

AndriaD likes this.
  10. AndriaD

Blog Posts:
    Always. That 10% just will never go away.

Andria

kevin littell likes this.
  11. kevin littell

Blog Posts:
    Actually, I think my plan has that covered.....

AndriaD likes this.
  12. gamingmaster1

gamingmaster1 New Member

Blog Posts:
    I would say laptop battery is more dangerous because once it gets ignite, it will explode like a propane. I would not mess with laptop battery when it comes to handling them.

13. MrScaryZ

MrScaryZ VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    you mean to tell me that pure evil is not coming out of Antarctica ? what

The Cromwell likes this.
  14. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    I am beginning to think that Antarctica is where the Nibruites live.

As far as placing blame on a Vape Shop for selling someone a SMPL mod and And A subtank for it with efest batteries.
    They can advise the customer but they are not allowed to refuse to sell to them unless clearly drunk, etc or not of the proper age.

Back when a 18 yr old could buy rifles and shotguns in KY. I tried to buy a shotgun at a store, they told me I had to be 21. I went down the street to the police station and got a cop to go back with me and tell them the law. I got the shotgun, still have it.

celticluvr, Gregjl and MrScaryZ like this.
  15. Diescum88

Diescum88 Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Damn you mean your not supposed to do that? I had a roommate that would think it was funny to take the cover off our fan and try to stop it while it was on with his tongue, one day I decided to glue razor blades to the fan blades... needless to say he stopped after that... ;]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

16. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    We could identify such mislabeled batteries and forbid the importation and sale of them.

17. nightshard

nightshard It's VG/PG not PG/VG VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    To enforce battery regulation the government/public has to acknowledge the problem first, but it's much easier for them to blame e-cigs in general, then the battery in them.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    Huckleberried, UncleRJ and AndriaD like this.
  18. UncleRJ

UncleRJ Will write reviews for Beer! Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 2 Years ECF Refugee Reviewer

Blog Posts:

Nope, just for getting Trump elected:giggle::devil:

The Cromwell likes this.
  19. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    Yep and therein lies the problem....
    Reasonable regulation is needed in areas of the vape industry.
    Stupid rabid fear of all things vaping related is not needed at all. But is what we seem to have in the majority of US citizens.
    Our Enquireristic drama based media is largely to blame.
    We have NO real news media left, just commentators and fear mongers.

UncleRJ and AndriaD like this.
  20. UncleRJ

UncleRJ Will write reviews for Beer! Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 2 Years ECF Refugee Reviewer

Blog Posts:

The Key Word is REASONABLE.

Something our government is not normally associated with.

And I agree, we have no impartial news media left.

Where is Walter Cronkite when we need him most?

21. nightshard

nightshard It's VG/PG not PG/VG VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    The thing is that most people (and a lot of vapers) are clueless, so it's easier to say NO rather then educating the public when and why not.

22. AndriaD

Blog Posts:
    Or even Geraldo Rivera!

There are no actual journalists anymore. Newspapers are pretty much dead thanks to the internet, and TV/radio news is just a mass-media commodity; it's not news, it's just happy noise to get people to listen to those all-important ADVERTISEMENTS!

Andria

inspects and kevin littell like this.
  23. kevin littell

Blog Posts:
    Most of the internet news servers are glorified ad servers and talk radio is far left or far right opinion.

the times are getting interesting.

inspects and The Cromwell like this.
  24. r055co

r055co VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    And Edward R. Murrow? It's pathetic that today the only real investigative journalists are hacker's.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

AndriaD and inspects like this.
  25. USMCotaku

USMCotaku Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    thought I would peruse this thread for a good laugh......but even my twisted sense of humor can't find this funny
    :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

inspects likes this.
  26. Mike H.

Mike H. Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Is this the thread where you go to feel smart?..Suddenly I feel smart..not sure why but I do.

27. Selkie

Selkie New Member

Blog Posts:
    I once completely rewrote a user manual on a fiber optics polishing machine.very important when it comes to a bunch of stuff , anyhow the manufacturer thanked and wanted to pay me. I said no but it told me long ago Asian companies are not interested in writing properly defined manuals.that was a thirty thousand dollar machine. So imagine how enthused they are over trying to to do so on a hundred dollar mod. Hmmm

conanthewarrior and The Cromwell like this.
  28. conanthewarrior

conanthewarrior Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    "On the other hand, I don't know a single case of 5Amp (laptop-powerbank-like batteries) in mods with problem, especially use it like 5Amp battery (3v*15Amp=15 watts per battery, 30 watts on dualbattery, especially parallel battery mod)."

I think that may well be because you are one of the very few people that uses recycled, old batteries with a low amp rating in their mods. Sure, what you are doing is possible to do so without injury, but so is jumping from roof to roof of tower blocks. You might get away with doing it all your life, but a lot of people could miss that roof on their first attempt and fall.

You do realise as a battery ages, its CDR also drops? So those batteries if they really are past it might not even be good for 5A, and any gains in capacity you feel you are getting, you really aren't if they have had multiple charge and discharge cycles.
    You could get some safe, 3000MAH batteries for your use and will notice better performance.

I would say using a regulated mod in this way is more dangerous than using a mech mod which you compare it too. Yes, regulated mods have lots of built in protections, but relying on them to skimp on batteries is not good.

Also, at 30W you are probably going over 10A and this is at 90% efficiency at a cutoff of 3.1V- 10.75A. Please just stop using these batteries.