Become a Patron!

What is really, truly, seriously the SONY KILLER?

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ive heard reports of mostly ICR cells inside laptops. but IMRs might be used by some companies.

here are three cells mentioned in a blog/comments i have found. i dont think any are IMR, so im hesitant to rip open my dead packs because im all mech and i cant use ICR for my needs.

Sony Fukushima STG US18650GR
Panny CGR18650D
Samsung ICR18650-22E

http://blog.v-ecigs.com/2014/03/harvesting-batteries-for-your-mod.html
Thanks for finding and posting that.
The only thing I didn't quite understand is how to discharge them to see what the actual mAh was for each battery.

Can anyone explain this better ? For that matter, is there anyway to check the actual mah with a fluke 87 multi meter ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robtest

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
IIRC, the ICR batteries typically only have a 8-10amp discharge rate... Hence they are good for 15-20w regulated mods, but a no no for mechs...

I use some Panny 50B's (3400mAh) in my older regulated mods like the SVD and Zmax ...

russ81072

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I found this website for batteries,http://www.imrbatteries.com/. They are selling a lot of the batteries you guys are talking about at decent prices I think also.. might have to pick some up. just thought I would share this for you guys, if I wasn't allowed to post that website please let me know and I apologize in advance.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I found this website for batteries,http://www.imrbatteries.com/. They are selling a lot of the batteries you guys are talking about at decent prices I think also.. might have to pick some up. just thought I would share this for you guys, if I wasn't allowed to post that website please let me know and I apologize in advance.
Shoot! I just bought a couple of Samsungs today. Wish I had seen this post first. I bookmarked the website. Thanks:)

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vaping has become so violent in the last 12 months. Why does the new thing have to kill the old things. It is obviously not the case. If so the Kanger T2 would have killed cartomizers and ce4. Half the cheap ego kits come with a ce4 type and a shit load of people still use cartos. Cant vape gear just get along? The only thing g that kills my soney vtc4 batteries or my 3 year old Panasonic cgr18650s is vaping them in a mod till the damn thing shuts off and it is time to recharge. It is vaping not the Manson Family.

russ81072

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Shoot! I just bought a couple of Samsungs today. Wish I had seen this post first. I bookmarked the website. Thanks:)
no problem Muth, I my self just found this site. My local B&M sells batteries, but a little high on pricing. but I will stil support them, they are awesome people. but its always good to save some extra cash now and then.

Caloy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Got MXJO batteries and so far I can't tell any difference with my VTC4s appart from the MXJO batteries are more expensive.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sony is 30A contiunous and 150A pulse to 3 seconds.

There is no Sony killer. It's all nonsense. Sony blows EVERY other batteries specs out of the water.

View attachment 6538
I cannot second this enough if you look hard enough the flashlight guys have tested this over and over for them it really is not that important but the VC5 is the best battery you can get 18650 period now saying this I do think some of the other batteries are underrated how much I am not sure. Sony will start making batteries again that is a given there is to much of a need for them not too but when is the question or will they hand it over the Imren batteries I thought were different after taking the wrappers off of them they are relabeled and that kinda just squashed my hopes

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
the shop I frequent exclusively sells the efest batteries...I don't have any complaints myself
Efest batteries are all relabeled Efest does not make batteries so please add in something that is worth reading

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
OK, so what are the ones to buy , i need two 18650's and looking for 2500mAh or better . Whats the consensus folks .

for now bro either the LG HE2 LG HE4 or the Samsung 25r they are good batteries I use them all the time they just do not have the amp output of the sonys on a regulated device it does not matter as much on a Mech there is nothing like a VC5 in theory running any mech below .2 ohms with any single battery is dangerous if the actual tests are correct I myself think they are all underrated for safety's sake

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Those here and IRL know me to be the humble, innocuous wee minister that I am. I enjoy a good natured go at people on the odd occasion. I tend to get a lot of "it's OK, he's from Scotland, they like to tease". Think nothing if it mate.

@franciscan Yeah you from Scotland but you live in St Louis and anyone who can live there I give props to and should be a Saint of some kind now what kind of Saint in your case Friar I am must not sure haha :)

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Wondering if any of these big names like Sony lg etc would get in to the vaping game & make a mod. Just a random thought, back to your regularly scheduled post.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
for now bro either the LG HE2 LG HE4 or the Samsung 25r they are good batteries I use them all the time they just do not have the amp output of the sonys on a regulated device it does not matter as much on a Mech there is nothing like a VC5 in theory running any mech below .2 ohms with any single battery is dangerous if the actual tests are correct I myself think they are all underrated for safety's sake

Wow, thats fast , i asked my question on December 23rd of last year and a response already , love this forum .

Kidding as always lol.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Wondering if any of these big names like Sony lg etc would get in to the vaping game & make a mod. Just a random thought, back to your regularly scheduled post.
Unlikely.

Major companies go big or go home. They wouldn't do limited production runs with mods like we have now, they would want to manufacture millions of units. They would also want to file patents and trademarks (and legally pursue clones), and with the vaping industry so uncertain as far as regulations go, no major corporation is going to touch it. Here's a good read if you're interested.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Unlikely.

Major companies go big or go home. They wouldn't do limited production runs with mods like we have now, they would want to manufacture millions of units. They would also want to file patents and trademarks (and legally pursue clones), and with the vaping industry so uncertain as far as regulations go, no major corporation is going to touch it. Here's a good read if you're interested.
Well you are wrong because big companies the fortune 25 companies that I work for have so many business units that this is not always the case now it may very well be true that Sony will not produce 30amp batteries that we can see that they are indeed the old VTC5's being a consumer on our side it will be close to impossible to tell because knowing large companies they may relabel them to something that is not evident that they are still producing batteries or have sold the info since the RC industry on the high end has moved to LIPO who knows and all we truly can hope for is that battery technology itself improves at a faster rate than has been because more than our mods will be affected in the long run.

;)

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wow, thats fast , i asked my question on December 23rd of last year and a response already , love this forum .

Kidding as always lol.
Hey "Hot for Teacher" the only reason I did not answer is because you do not have a avatar you silly man you :) hahah

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ahh the avatar , of course .

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I cannot second this enough if you look hard enough the flashlight guys have tested this over and over for them it really is not that important but the VC5 is the best battery you can get 18650 period now saying this I do think some of the other batteries are underrated how much I am not sure. Sony will start making batteries again that is a given there is to much of a need for them not too but when is the question or will they hand it over the Imren batteries I thought were different after taking the wrappers off of them they are relabeled and that kinda just squashed my hopes
I liked my VTC4s a lot and when I went to buy the VTC5s I couldn't find them no where, no how. Except for the occasional, super expensive listing. How much do you pay for your's and where?

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Do you have the HE4s? And, if so, what do you think?

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No difference between what? The HE2 and the HE4?
Yes not on a mech I have not tested them on a vw device yet I have tested them on a dual parallel box mod I see no difference to the HE2. If read the specs seems fishy however, there could be a slight change in internal resistance if you are looking for any epiphany in Li- ion technology you will be disappointed in the 18650 arena Lipo is the next progression like it or not

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes not on a mech I have not tested them on a vw device yet I have tested them on a dual parallel box mod I see no difference to the HE2. If read the specs seems fishy however, there could be a slight change in internal resistance if you are looking for any epiphany in Li- ion technology you will be disappointed in the 18650 arena Lipo is the next progression like it or not

Lipos.....interesting. Well I do like the convenience of usb charging. But how do I fit a flat douche bag in to my tube mods:p

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Well you are wrong because big companies the fortune 25 companies that I work for have so many business units that this is not always the case now it may very well be true that Sony will not produce 30amp batteries that we can see that they are indeed the old VTC5's being a consumer on our side it will be close to impossible to tell because knowing large companies they may relabel them to something that is not evident that they are still producing batteries or have sold the info since the RC industry on the high end has moved to LIPO who knows and all we truly can hope for is that battery technology itself improves at a faster rate than has been because more than our mods will be affected in the long run.

;)

I'm not sure what any of that ramble has to do with major companies making mods, but...okay.

VapinChevy

Abnormal Chevy Guy
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
Just be cautious! LG HE2/HE4 *Efest 35A/MXJO 35A* are 35A Pulse @20A Continuous! CAREFUL & CAUTION using them in mechs!

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just be cautious! LG HE2/HE4 *Efest 35A/MXJO 35A* are 35A Pulse @20A Continuous! CAREFUL & CAUTION using them in mechs!
To add to that remember that 20amps is good for a .2 ohm build anything below you are relying on pulse if they are getting real hot be cautious again I will repeat I think they are conservative in their specs for safety but on the other hand these were never designed or intended to be used in a MOD at all so so for Mechs I never build below .2 ohms on a 18650 battery now that the VTC5's are gone on my dual parallel boxes at 20 amps continuous you can build down to .1 ohm safely anything lower is ummm in the 18650 arena is up to you you want to take the chance go right ahead but its not safe

VapinChevy

Abnormal Chevy Guy
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
I have run a .03ohm on a Samsung 25R & Sony VTC4 & perfectly fine! I DON'T Recommend it, but I had a "special occasion" that called for it :)

T

Taver13

same I have messed around myself I just would not recommend others do it ')
ditto, same resistance build on the samsung, mod got hot, button got hot, battery got hot. definatly dont reccomend it. wont be doing that again

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For example I pulled out one of my new LG HE4's I have a .1 ohm build on my Mutation X V2 for messing around in vape bars only
so last night I went out for just a bit and tested her got hot as hell on a .1 ohm build the same as the samsung 25 r's and the same as the LG HE2's so I see no difference at all I even tossed back and forth an HE2 and a HE4 made no difference.. then I put a VTC4 then a VTC5 only slightly warm... so there you have it no sony killer... I see moving to lipo is the logical course and I think those that are so attached to tube mods that they just cannot let go of the rod then deal with the repercussions IMHO

Caloy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm confused, if the LG2
To add to that remember that 20amps is good for a .2 ohm build anything below you are relying on pulse if they are getting real hot be cautious again I will repeat I think they are conservative in their specs for safety but on the other hand these were never designed or intended to be used in a MOD at all so so for Mechs I never build below .2 ohms on a 18650 battery now that the VTC5's are gone on my dual parallel boxes at 20 amps continuous you can build down to .1 ohm safely anything lower is ummm in the 18650 arena is up to you you want to take the chance go right ahead but its not safe

I'm confused, wouldn't a 0.2 ohm build with a battery at 3.7 volts fire @ 68.45W?

Caloy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hahaha! My bad. I posted a thread at the mech mods section asking about that. I got my answer here... Thanks. Cheers!

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm confused, if the LG2

I'm confused, wouldn't a 0.2 ohm build with a battery at 3.7 volts fire @ 68.45W?

if a battery in a mech was at 3.7v and fired a 0.2Ω build, you would not get 68.45W. the battery voltage sags under load. and a 0.2Ω load will cause a decent amount of sag. and depending on how well your mod-battery-atty combo conducts electricity, you might get something like 3.4v (~57W) but probably less. it depends on your mods level of conductivity (threading, contact points [material and level of cleanliness], the atty resistance and level of conductivity, and the battery's internal resistance (differs between cells, age of the cell, and # of charge cycles its experienced).

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, the LG HE2's I have, are 35 amp. I haven't had a bit of problems with them. In fact, I get just short of a full day on one battery and I vape, pretty much, non stop. I also have the purple Efest 30 amp, but the charge seems to last less and less. I have 2 Samsung 20 amp and they last a while as well, but the wife uses those. She doesn't sub ohm like I do. Sony on the other hand, I have not used yet, but I am set to buy a couple within the next few days. With that said, I like my LG HE2 35 amps the best so far :)

You are full of stuff running outif the backend of horse in parade I mean how do you vape to do take micro puffs

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A battery fresh off charge does not put out 3.7v, you are getting 4.1xx so for safety people do the calculations at 4.2v. At some point the battery may get down to 3.7v, but if you max out your build calculating at 3.7v... you will be asking more from the battery than you planned on.

Even with sag it is not pulling the current down by 0.5v. Maybe 0.1~0.15 with a good battery. If you are getting 0.5v sag it's time to retire that battery.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
if a battery in a mech was at 3.7v and fired a 0.2Ω build, you would not get 68.45W. the battery voltage sags under load. and a 0.2Ω load will cause a decent amount of sag. and depending on how well your mod-battery-atty combo conducts electricity, you might get something like 3.4v (~57W) but probably less. it depends on your mods level of conductivity (threading, contact points [material and level of cleanliness], the atty resistance and level of conductivity, and the battery's internal resistance (differs between cells, age of the cell, and # of charge cycles its experienced).
Congrats you get the award for having a brain very well said yes that's why you put a .2 ohm load on a regulated box ipv v3 for example and 100 w will usually get you either a burnt taste fried juice or if the build is done right the most flavorful vape you have ever had :) good work wee need more Moore brains zzz:)

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A battery fresh off charge does not put out 3.7v, you are getting 4.1xx so for safety people do the calculations at 4.2v. At some point the battery may get down to 3.7v, but if you max out your build calculating at 3.7v... you will be asking more from th3 battery than you planned on.

Even with sag it is not pulling the current down by 0.5v. Maybe 0.1~0.15 with a good battery. If you are getting 0.5v sag it's time to retire that battery.
Ta da. Wrong you compute at the the post level with a multimeter rethink that

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I could agree with you if we were talking about 18350 cells with 3-4 times higher internal resistance and lower discharge capabilities but we're not. Those numbers would be correct with a 18350 with a 1 ohm build.

Or if your using a mod with some of the worst voltage drop but I hope most of you have moved on from those last year.

So according to your math with 3.7v (even 3.4v posted) being the end result from a 4.2v battery you could safely build below 0.2 ohms. So why only on a "special occasion"? You are not even getting into burst territory assuming you are getting a 15% to 20% sag.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I could agree with you if we were talking about 18350 cells with 3-4 times higher internal resistance and lower discharge capabilities but we're not. Those numbers would be correct with a 18350 with a 1 ohm build.

Or if your using a mod with some of the worst voltage drop but I hope most of you have moved on from those last year.

So according to your math with 3.7v (even 3.4v posted) being the end result from a 4.2v battery you could safely build below 0.2 ohms. So why only on a "special occasion"? You are not even getting into burst territory assuming you are getting a 15% to 20% sag.
Ok guys what you need to worry about is amperage on low ohm builds you are talking voltage as if that is the determining factor in low sub ohm Vaping

arilen

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ok guys what you need to worry about is amperage on low ohm builds you are talking voltage as if that is the determining factor in low sub ohm Vaping

Voltage is very important in subohm, for instance

4.2v on a .2ohm coil is 21 amps
but on a 3.7v charge its only 18.5 amps

if you are trying to figure a coil build for 30 amps and you use 3.7v then a .12ohm coil is what you get , but in all actuality when you put in a fresh battery you are pulling over 34amps

Uber300

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You are full of stuff running outif the backend of horse in parade I mean how do you vape to do take micro puffs

No shit, if this dude is sub-ohming, even at.9, there is no fucking way he is getting that much life outta one battery, or even two batteries running parallel, if he is chain vaping. I have been vaping for nearly 3 years, so I know of what I speak. @MrScaryZ, you are correct in saying that there is NO battery better than a Sony VTC. I have tried them all, some come damn close, but give me a Sony anyday of the year. I really do not see why this thread has continued as long as it has, I guess batteries are like assholes, everyone has one, and they all stink. Except Sony, which doth smell of sweet wine and candied roses.....LMFAO

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Volt, amps & watts go hand in hand. You can't ignore one for the other.

Mr scaryz, when you say worry...

That was the point of my post. Do you use 4.2 as the voltage to plug into the calculator? Or do you push your build to the edge using 3.7v with no margin of error on the constant amp rating?

Using 3.7v you could build a 0.19 ohm resistance and stay within 20a. If you use 4.2v you can build to 0.21 ohms.
So if you're worried, what do you think is best to build at? 0.21 or 0.19?
I know, not a lot of difference, but just saying that the conservative way to calculate your build is using 4.2v.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, the LG HE2's I have, are 35 amp. I haven't had a bit of problems with them. In fact, I get just short of a full day on one battery and I vape, pretty much, non stop. I also have the purple Efest 30 amp, but the charge seems to last less and less. I have 2 Samsung 20 amp and they last a while as well, but the wife uses those. She doesn't sub ohm like I do. Sony on the other hand, I have not used yet, but I am set to buy a couple within the next few days. With that said, I like my LG HE2 35 amps the best so far :)

Your LG HE2's are 20 amp continuous and 35 amp pulse.

VU Sponsors