Become a Patron!

What is the difference between different coil designs?

What is the best coil design for flavor?

• Taiji Coil

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Staircase Coil

• Staircase V2 Coil

• Super Juggernaut Coil

• Flat Twisted Coil

• Mix Twisted Coil

• Hive Coil

• Total voters

ziadtorkey

Member For 1 Year
I'm new to building my own coils. I just can't get it, what is the difference between Clapton and alien and tiger etc.

Forget about the the resistance, does the coil design matter in flavor?

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd just call those "complex wires", rather than coils.

A lot of folks simply use plain old round wire; others swear by ribbon. (And this is "for flavor").

I can't stand nichrome at all - I taste blood/iron. I avoid nickel like plague. I still best enjoy SS316 and Kanthal - and around 28awg, SS316 is about the same as Kanthal.

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I couldn't vote in the poll because there is no parallel round wire choice. Hands down my favorite coil is dual parallel 24g N80 5/6 wraps. It beats any alien I've ever made.

IMO there isn't much of a difference. I used to make complex coils like staples, aliens, claptons, etc. I thought that I was working towards a better vape but it was all in my head. Building coils and making complex wires can be fun, but I don't think most complex coils improve the flavor or vapor more than using parallel round wire.

This isn't to say that different coils don't make a difference because they do. I think that I get a better vape on a mech or regulated mod with simple round wire builds. When you wrap cores with a clapton wire you are increasing the mass of the coil and you are increasing the amount of power required to vaporize the juice. The bigger chunkier coils also tend to hold heat longer and can burn your wick or make your atty heat up.

I get the best flavor with a coil with maximum surface area while not increasing the mass of the coil more than I have to. I like a short ramp up so that when I push the fire button I have dense flavorful clouds pouring out immediately. That's how I get good flavor. You can achieve this with complex coils. If you enjoy building them your flavor won't be limited by complex coils if you build them right. I'm just saying that you can get just as much flavor from a round wire build.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm new to building my own coils. I just can't get it, what is the difference between Clapton and alien and tiger etc.

A clapton is a wire that looks like lower note guitar strings... aliens and tiger are variations on the theme.

A core conductive wire wrapped with thinner wire. Is a clapton. .. they originally were called self wicking wire builds... because the wrap increases capillary wicking of the wire itself.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I suspect just stocking Kanthal and SS316, and both some round and ribbon - and a few different mandrels - is all you need to do.

All the complex wires are either a hobby unto themselves or pricey. Try them? Sure, go for it. But don't race off to spend money when ribbon and round are sitting right there.

ziadtorkey

Member For 1 Year
I couldn't vote in the poll because there is no parallel round wire choice. Hands down my favorite coil is dual parallel 24g N80 5/6 wraps. It beats any alien I've ever made.

IMO there isn't much of a difference. I used to make complex coils like staples, aliens, claptons, etc. I thought that I was working towards a better vape but it was all in my head. Building coils and making complex wires can be fun, but I don't think most complex coils improve the flavor or vapor more than using parallel round wire.

This isn't to say that different coils don't make a difference because they do. I think that I get a better vape on a mech or regulated mod with simple round wire builds. When you wrap cores with a clapton wire you are increasing the mass of the coil and you are increasing the amount of power required to vaporize the juice. The bigger chunkier coils also tend to hold heat longer and can burn your wick or make your atty heat up.

I get the best flavor with a coil with maximum surface area while not increasing the mass of the coil more than I have to. I like a short ramp up so that when I push the fire button I have dense flavorful clouds pouring out immediately. That's how I get good flavor. You can achieve this with complex coils. If you enjoy building them your flavor won't be limited by complex coils if you build them right. I'm just saying that you can get just as much flavor from a round wire build.

Thanks for the great explanation. My problem is that, the first build i did on my rta (griffin 22m) was hybrid alpha braid from geekvape with bacon cottton. it was amazing. but now i want to build the coil myself, so i purchased ss316L and Kanthal A1 24g but what every build i do i always get some kind of rusty taste. its a strange taste but i'm sure it is not burn taste.

What is that taste? :)

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the great explanation. My problem is that, the first build i did on my rta (griffin 22m) was hybrid alpha braid from geekvape with bacon cottton. it was amazing. but now i want to build the coil myself, so i purchased ss316L and Kanthal A1 24g but what every build i do i always get some kind of rusty taste. its a strange taste but i'm sure it is not burn taste.

Usually due to bad wicking - if any part of the coil is not touching the cotton it will get hot and taste like shit. Most commonly is an end wrap with the cotton pulled down and exposing that part of the wire. Also can be too many wraps in coil making over-long coils and cotton gets burned through in the middle of the coil...also tasting like shit. It only takes a mm or two of exposed wire to make the vape taste baaad.

sbankme

Member For 3 Years
I had same bad taste wrapping coils from Geekvape SS316L. I tried a sample pack of Advanced Vape Supply American made SS wire(claptons, staples, etc.) rolls and find the better wire and their twisting skills let me quickly and easily wraps SS fancy coils without the trouble of twisting the more complex wires myself. For a newer builder it seems like a pretty good compromise at a much lower cost than buying nice coils already made for ~$20 a pair. For $25 I should be able to wrap 30+ fancy SS316L coils all made of top quality wire.
Could fit you needs too...

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm planning to order some of the 5m coiled "Demon Killer" wire from FT. I already know it's not much of a variety, but it beats screwing around myself. Too bad the "names" are typically "wrong".

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm planning to order some of the 5m coiled "Demon Killer" wire from FT. I already know it's not much of a variety, but it beats screwing around myself. Too bad the "names" are typically "wrong".
Demon Killer wire IMO is shit wire, they use shitty wire.

For me the best is basic Fused Claptons using 317L SS. The bump in flavor above Fused Claptons IMO is subjective. Now I've tried some complex wire and yes there are improvements in flavor but for myself best bang for the buck is SS FC. They're simple to knock out and the flavor over bare wire like single, parallel, twisted and single core Claptons is a large jump and beyond them not so much. Using high gauge wrapping wire is where it's at, between 38g - 44g,

Also don't skimp on quality wire, stick with coils that are made with real Sandvik wire.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds like I should just order some ribbon SS316 and call it a day, then. Damn.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I've dealt with them before. THey ever learn about SPOOLS? I tend to stick with Temco and LV.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Demon Killer wire IMO is shit wire, they use shitty wire.
I got a roll of ka1 clapton wire from Fasttech made by Demonkiller. You're right it's not that good. I immediately noticed that it was really springy and didn't hold its shape or form that well. I never had these issues with Geekvape pre-spooled Ka1 clapton wire.

Have you heard of Coilology? I know it's probably chinese and not the best out there but is it as bad as Demon Killer?

Anybody ever tried Coilology wire or coils here?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got a roll of ka1 clapton wire from Fasttech made by Demonkiller. You're right it's not that good. I immediately noticed that it was really springy and didn't hold its shape or form that well. I never had these issues with Geekvape pre-spooled Ka1 clapton wire.

Have you heard of Coilology? I know it's probably chinese and not the best out there but is it as bad as Demon Killer?

Anybody ever tried Coilology wire or coils here?
I make my own but I do know Kidney Puncher has premade which they use Sandvik wire. I've also heard good things about Advanced Vape, never tried them myself.

Hoggy

Member For 3 Years
For me the best is basic Fused Claptons using 317L SS. The bump in flavor above Fused Claptons IMO is subjective. Now I've tried some complex wire and yes there are improvements in flavor but for myself best bang for the buck is SS FC. They're simple to knock out and the flavor over bare wire like single, parallel, twisted and single core Claptons is a large jump and beyond them not so much. Using high gauge wrapping wire is where it's at, between 38g - 44g,

THIS! (Although using whatever wire material you prefer - or at least don't object to.)

I once tried a clapton that came with an RTA (I forget which), and didn't think anything special about it when using rayon.. Possibly due to rayon's ultra-fast wicking ability - or at least that's my theory anyways, as to why the standard clapton wasn't any better. :) And fused claptons just make more sense to me, anyways.

I've recently gotten a Daedalus claptoning jig to make fused claptons myself.. Great for anyone with issues like eyesight, dexterity, pain, and muscle fatigue. It makes them PERFECTLY, too - once you figure out the right spring tension to apply (not too loose that it wraps over itself, and not too tight that the claptoning wire snaps. .... I'll tell you what though.. The 100ft spool of 40g that it came with only lasted maybe 3 feet or so. So for the claptoning wire, I wouldn't dick around with getting anything smaller than 1000ft rolls (wish I knew where to get longer rolls for cheaper). Probably go with whatever wire material is cheapest (and not objectionable), since this wire will not be the heating element - so I don't think material really matters here, just preferably not springy.

But once I tried one of the fused claptons I made with it... WOW! There's just no going back to round/twisted wires anymore - I always did twisteds before this. There really is a substantial improvement in flavor with fused claptons - no joke. It really surprised me - I was not expecting that. My theory is it's because the FC literally contains 2 or more juice channels (depending on # of cores) - while the standard single-core clapton doesn't.

I still think anything beyond fused claptons, with however many cores, is strictly into the coil-art/build-enjoyment territory - or at least not worth it enough. I might try something more advanced than FC, but I think it'll just be for build-enjoyment reasons. Actually, I got a bunch of ribbon wire to play around with for staple fused claptons.. And the Daedalus makes claptoning a piece of cake... I can't recommend it highly enough! Just get it! I've seen a couple of other claptoning jigs, but they seem like a joke compared to the Daedalus. (And no, I don't have any affiliation with them. :D )

==================

Also, I've heard it mentioned that aliens could be a slight bump up in flavor, from FC's. But I can't understand how that could possibly be, though.. :confused: I mean, it seems to me like there is exactly the same amount of wire, surface area, and juice channels as a FC.. It just looks 'wavy', is all. Does anyone know how there could possibly be any more flavor over FC's (assuming the same gauges and cores involved)? I just don't understand the point of aliens, other than strictly coil-art.

Last edited:

obijuan77

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
You can also get strange tastes from the material of the wire itself.

I myself only taste metal with stainless steel, so I stick with N80

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor

I'm a coil builder/hobbiest. I've tried everything under the sun. And for me ... My favorite vape is a SSFC at about .15 dual coil between 90 and 100 watts in the vandy LiT, and dual aliens at about .25 at 65 watts in the DPRO, and a straight wire 1 ohm at 12 watts in the Kayfun Lite (just getting back into MTL after a while so take that last one with a grain of salt)
Everyone has different tastes. And ever type of coil will vape differently in different atties, at different resistances, and different power levels. So there really is no single answer to this. Everyone is going to be different.

I get the same taste from any SS. Everyone tastes something different from different alloys. I Love Ni80 but can't stand SS.

VU Sponsors