Become a Patron!

What kind of coil should i build?(first time)

JustA96Cummins

Member For 1 Year
Hey all, im running a smok alien with the tfv12 prince tank, im going to get the RBA deck for the prince because the coil prices are pretty up there, im trying to figure out what size wire and what kind of coil i should do, running 70vg/30pg liquid i want to get really good flavor out of this, ive been vaping for about 2 years and personally have just never really tasted very much from my vapes so im looking for a coil build thats more flavor oriented. Thanks for any input ya'll, its all appreciated

Last edited:

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I have personally had really good luck with 2.5mm ID single wire coils in that RBA deck. NI80 for me but any wire type really works well. 3mm ID will work but the wicking has to be perfect or you get dry hits.

JustA96Cummins

Member For 1 Year
Are there advantages to running different wire types? I know ni80 is a temp mode coil only wheras kanthal is wattage only and ss is both right? Ive only ever worked with wattage mode so i know absolutely nothing about the temp control kinda stuff and how it works, how many wraps/ what ohms do you build those to and with what gauge wire? Ive heard that using a smaller wire can help with better flavor?

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
We have a Q&A sticky in the regulated/ temp control area which is worth a read to explain Temp control, there’s a lot of content in there now answering most aspects

For the RBA deck perhaps look into single or fused claptons ...being the deck is smaller than a lot of dedicated rebuildables it’s generally best to build to the deck size itself or you might find wicking and performance an issue...try what Jwill said keep it simple first and go from there :)

Wire types is one of those thing to try and see how you get on if you want to try TC then really you are looking at SS ...don’t bother with Ni200 or Titanium not worth the hassle or risk of overheating the metal

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are there advantages to running different wire types? I know ni80 is a temp mode coil only wheras kanthal is wattage only and ss is both right? Ive only ever worked with wattage mode so i know absolutely nothing about the temp control kinda stuff and how it works, how many wraps/ what ohms do you build those to and with what gauge wire? Ive heard that using a smaller wire can help with better flavor?
NI80 is for power mode same as Kanthal

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
If you are just starting Keep it simple.. a single core clapton gives decent enough flavor to get you started. Of course you can buy premade wire by the spool as well. But for making your own.. single core clapton to start.

Wire type mostly depends on what you are aiming for.. Kanthal takes less wattage then Nichrome but Nichrome allows more surface area per ohm. For example.. 6 wraps kanthal = same resistance as 4 wraps Nichrome. Just an approximation for the sake of the example. You can look up the actual values. but im fairly close.

VU Sponsors