Become a Patron!

What power do you vape at?

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've had a Pico for about a month now. Bought it because of the small size and light weight to have in my pocket at work. It's been really good for that, it performs very well to boot and it's hard to beat the price.

Guess that's another vote for it :)
Add the ArcticFox firmware it's really worth the price. If not for the switch display and USB I'd say it is as rugged as a mech.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I vape at less than 30 watts... usually in the 15 - 20 watt range.
Current build 3x30ss twisted @ .4ohm on 2.8mm on Avo22

Build replaced by 28ss single at 1.1ohm vaping on a Pico75 using a power curve that fires at 150% - 26 watts and is at 14 by end of draw produce a vape running in the 180c to 210c range.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I remember back when I got into "improving my vape" using a an old school Kanger Evod set up...I found a wattage/Power graph showing what ohm coil equaled what wattage based on voltage used...I went from the 2.4 coil down to the 1.8 ohm coil and though it was the shiznit...Moved on to drilling out the little pin on the kanger tank and first started my own coil building using 30g wire to build my own coils to 1.00 ohm and was chuckin' the clouds.:cool:..I think I did a modification thread on here someplace on the kanger evod tank...I still like that little tank for some odd reasono_O

Found thread Lol
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/kanger-single-coil-tank-magic.53538/#post-308353
LOL, yep. Did that with my Protanks, still have them (and the heads) in my vapocalypse stash. Haven't used that size drill bit for wrapping in a bit, though. These days, it's a more airy draw, still MTL, resistance under 1.5, RARELY below 1 ohm, still under 10w. To go back to those tanks, I'd have to re-figure all my recipes. Again.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you're not vaping at 200+ Watts, you're a light weight and doing it all wrong, brah.

But seriously, 0.40 ohms @ 50 Watts is plentiful for me.

Wrong, huh? Funny how I haven't had a cigarette in 2 2/3 yrs. At 10w/2 ohms. After 39 yrs of hopeless cigarette addiction, and 30 yrs of asthma. I think I'll just keep doing it "wrong" since it's working so RIGHT.

And "brah"? REALLY? The only "brah" (sic) about me is the one I'm wearing. :facepalm:

Andria

Chinamatic

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Wrong, huh? Funny how I haven't had a cigarette in 2 2/3 yrs. At 10w/2 ohms. After 39 yrs of hopeless cigarette addiction, and 30 yrs of asthma. I think I'll just keep doing it "wrong" since it's working so RIGHT.

And "brah"? REALLY? The only "brah" (sic) about me is the one I'm wearing. :facepalm:

Andria

I was being sarcastic (actually in agreeance with your first post), notice the 2nd paragraph. I stopped coming to these forums for a year and all I see is posts about 200+ watt vaping. Like why tho?

Times have changed and I feel like a relic with my single coil 50 Watts.

Last edited:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I was being sarcastic (actually in agreeance with your first post), notice the 2nd paragraph. I stopped coming to these forums for a year and all I see is posts about 200+ watt vaping. Like why tho?

Times have changed and I feel like a relic with my single coil 50 Watts.

Ah. The total lack of emojis didn't give much of a clue that it was sarcasm, though I did wonder. :) I've never understood the need to vape at anything over 15w, personally; the only good thing I can find about all these high-watt mods is that they made the low-watt mods really cheap. :D But now they're getting harder and harder to find!

I've always liked single-coil too; very first time I tried a dual coil, was way back in 2014 with the original Nautilus... and it TOTALLY fucked up the taste of the juice, all that heat, and was damn near impossible to set the airflow, because of all that heat -- I want tight-draw like a carto or a cigarette, not huffing like aerosol in a paper bag! I'm trying to stay off smoking cigarette, not huffing unmentionables from bags!

Andria

Chinamatic

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ah. The total lack of emojis didn't give much of a clue that it was sarcasm, though I did wonder. :) I've never understood the need to vape at anything over 15w, personally; the only good thing I can find about all these high-watt mods is that they made the low-watt mods really cheap. :D But now they're getting harder and harder to find!

I've always liked single-coil too; very first time I tried a dual coil, was way back in 2014 with the original Nautilus... and it TOTALLY fucked up the taste of the juice, all that heat, and was damn near impossible to set the airflow, because of all that heat -- I want tight-draw like a carto or a cigarette, not huffing like aerosol in a paper bag! I'm trying to stay off smoking cigarette, not huffing unmentionables from bags!

Andria

Sorry, I'm still a newb and couldn't think to use emoji. This is prolly why I always get into arguments with the wife regarding the context of my text messages Lol.

I guess with the ever changing tech, it's difficult for each generation of vaper to understand the next one. The way I balk at 200 watt vapers is the same way you might balk at 50 watt vapers like me.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sorry, I'm still a newb and couldn't think to use emoji. This is prolly why I always get into arguments with the wife regarding the context of my text messages Lol.

I guess with the ever changing tech, it's difficult for each generation of vaper to understand the next one. The way I balk at 200 watt vapers is the same way you might balk at 50 watt vapers like me.

Yeah, humor and sarcasm really don't come across in text, that's WHY there are emojis. ;)

I once accidentally took a hit at 18w -- my mod had gotten turned up in my purse and I didn't notice it. I was just glad I didn't singe the wick! :giggle: The other really good thing about high wattage vaping is that now there are all these great batteries that support it, so for someone who vapes at 10w or less, a 25R or HE2 lasts for 2 days -- and with a 2 ohm coil, I never ever have to worry about whether my battery can handle it. ;)

Andria

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, humor and sarcasm really don't come across in text, that's WHY there are emojis. ;)

I once accidentally took a hit at 18w -- my mod had gotten turned up in my purse and I didn't notice it. I was just glad I didn't singe the wick! :giggle: The other really good thing about high wattage vaping is that now there are all these great batteries that support it, so for someone who vapes at 10w or less, a 25R or HE2 lasts for 2 days -- and with a 2 ohm coil, I never ever have to worry about whether my battery can handle it. ;)

Andria
You gotta catch up with the times I never understood the high wattage vaping and probably never will lol.

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You gotta catch up with the times I never understood the high wattage vaping and probably never will lol.

I see no reason whatsofuckingEVER to "catch up with the times," on vaping. I *like* only using 5ml of ejuice per day, and I also like that I can still breathe; higher use of ejuice would definitely cause my asthma a big problem.

Andria

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I see no reason whatsofuckingEVER to "catch up with the times," on vaping. I *like* only using 5ml of ejuice per day, and I also like that I can still breathe; higher use of ejuice would definitely cause my asthma a big problem.

Andria
Hope you caught me being a sarcastic smart ads lol. Me neither. When I first started vaping mods only went up to 15 watts lol. I'm good with 25-30 watts on a rda. It seems to me nowadays it's a pissing contest to see how many watts you can vape at. Who cares how many watts you can vape at. The important thing is not smoking and it seems people have lost sight of that!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hope you caught me being a sarcastic smart ads lol. Me neither. When I first started vaping mods only went up to 15 watts lol. I'm good with 25-30 watts on a rda. It seems to me nowadays it's a pissing contest to see how many watts you can vape at. Who cares how many watts you can vape at. The important thing is not smoking and it seems people have lost sight of that!

Totally agree... and I didn't even like RDAs, until I found one with a really great tight draw, so I could still get a good MtL vape at low wattage. So now... they don't make or sell them (Achilles RDAs) anymore. Fuckheads!

Andria

VapingInNewYork

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm glad someone brought this up. When I got my Pico 75 watt last weekend, I checked it at about 50 watts and I thought I was going to burn my face off. I'm amazed people can inhale anything that hot.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My preferred wattage usually ranges from 90 to 120 watts, depending on the setup. The wattage is a lot lower on my "portable vapes".

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm glad someone brought this up. When I got my Pico 75 watt last weekend, I checked it at about 50 watts and I thought I was going to burn my face off. I'm amazed people can inhale anything that hot.

No shit! The accidental 18w hit nearly burnt my throat out!

Andria

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Totally agree... and I didn't even like RDAs, until I found one with a really great tight draw, so I could still get a good MtL vape at low wattage. So now... they don't make or sell them (Achilles RDAs) anymore. Fuckheads!

Andria
Mine is the patriot. I have 3 of them lol.

Chinamatic

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Andria

At the end of the day, in regards to wattage, to each their own.
But I do like using a dual batt mod for lower wattages cause at the end of the day, there's lots of battery life left.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I don't get this.......
RDA are what are used for squonking........ it's still a dripping atty.... you just don't drip from the top with a squonker.

I guess people who say this just mean how inconvenient it is, to have to constantly drip. Which is why I love the 2.5ml well in mky Achilles. :)

Andria

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I checked it at about 50 watts and I thought I was going to burn my face off. I'm amazed people can inhale anything that hot.
No shit! The accidental 18w hit nearly burnt my throat out!

im not trying to single you two out, but i see people saying this stuff all the time and you two were the easiest to quote because you are a few posts above mine. this is meant for anyone who vapes at a set wattage (whether they think it has to be 200w or 10w to be good)...

you can find a good vape at any power level, with the right coils and atomizer. no one who vapes at 200w does so on a above ohm coil in a mtl atty, similarly to how no one who vapes at 10w is using a modfather tank with .09 ohm alien framed staples in it. i saw a guy on here say that he cranked his mod up all the way to 200 or whatever it was, because the guys at the vape shop were vaping at that range, and he coughed his face off because he was vaping a setup for 50 or 80w. its not a matter of being tough enough to vape the wrong coils at the wrong wattage and inhaling lava/plasma/other hot things, its a matter of balancing coil mass with your hardware/power/airflow/deck size etc.

i set up a magma rda for mtl with some advice from @AndriaD (dunno if i thanked you for that yet :hug:). the coils are seven wrap 2.5mm 28g ka1 (dual coil) at .7 ohms. i run them at about 30w/4.5v because i like a shorter, hard drag. there is a sweet spot between not getting the drag i want, and getting a super hot lava sensation that makes me cough my face off. once i found it, i was very happy. flavor and nic intake are optimal, and i feel like im smoking, but im not. its great. i find that dry hits are much worse on this setup than anything else i own though somehow...and setup and coil structure is far less forgiving on these builds. i vape 18mg juice on this setup.

i also have a hog v3 with a build in it that (according to ohms law) hits at about 200w/8v on full batteries. the coils i have in that are 9 wrap 3mm 28/38 aliens. i take short, hard direct to lung hits off this. i get amazing flavor and clouds, and my nic craving is tamed. i dont feel like im smoking, but i am satisfied regardless. i vape 6mg juice on this setup. lets compare the wire in these builds...

7 2.5mm wraps of 28 ka1 is 3.1 inches of 28g, so dual coils are made from a total of ~6 inches of wire. total weight, 45 mg

alien coils have 3 cores, and nine 3mm wraps is about 5 inches long...so each coil has 15 inches of 28g in it, and there are two, so thirty inches of 28g wire, which is then wrapped in about 10 feet of 38g alien wrap. total weight 405mg (almost ten times the mass of the other coils)

6 inches of wire at 45mg vs 30 inches+10ft of wrap at 405mg

the coils in the hog setup have so much mass that they require a lot of power to get warm and produce vapor. on an 8v unregulated box, they get that power pretty easily, but they need it to vape at all. if you tried to run them at 4v you would be sucking on that thing for fifteen seconds before you could taste anything. given the power to get them going they are a very satisfying vape, which is not any hotter than the magma mtl setup. they are capable of giving a very hot vape, but with good airflow and a hard drag to get that air forcefully onto the coils, they are pretty mellow. in fact, the magma has made me cough often, and the hog setup has never once.

:tldr:i encourage every vaper to try different setups (properly configured). there are great vapes everywhere if you are willing to find them. that goes for all the power hungry folks who want the biggest and baddest mods too..i quit cigarettes on a sub ohm tank/direct lung hits, but at the start i was wishing for a mtl style setup that was closer to smoking a cigarette. i gave up on that for a while and focused on coil building and eventually got good enough to come all the way back around to mtl setups once my understanding of things increased enough. im glad i kept trying to find different things. now i have multiple great setups and options when it comes to vaping/hardware/coils/nic strength/cloud volume/stealth capability etc...:cheers:

/obligatory canadian apology for the long post

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
im not trying to single you two out, but i see people saying this stuff all the time and you two were the easiest to quote because you are a few posts above mine. this is meant for anyone who vapes at a set wattage (whether they think it has to be 200w or 10w to be good)...

you can find a good vape at any power level, with the right coils and atomizer. no one who vapes at 200w does so on a above ohm coil in a mtl atty, similarly to how no one who vapes at 10w is using a modfather tank with .09 ohm alien framed staples in it. i saw a guy on here say that he cranked his mod up all the way to 200 or whatever it was, because the guys at the vape shop were vaping at that range, and he coughed his face off because he was vaping a setup for 50 or 80w. its not a matter of being tough enough to vape the wrong coils at the wrong wattage and inhaling lava/plasma/other hot things, its a matter of balancing coil mass with your hardware/power/airflow/deck size etc.

i set up a magma rda for mtl with some advice from @AndriaD (dunno if i thanked you for that yet :hug:). the coils are seven wrap 2.5mm 28g ka1 (dual coil) at .7 ohms. i run them at about 30w/4.5v because i like a shorter, hard drag. there is a sweet spot between not getting the drag i want, and getting a super hot lava sensation that makes me cough my face off. once i found it, i was very happy. flavor and nic intake are optimal, and i feel like im smoking, but im not. its great. i find that dry hits are much worse on this setup than anything else i own though somehow...and setup and coil structure is far less forgiving on these builds. i vape 18mg juice on this setup.

i also have a hog v3 with a build in it that (according to ohms law) hits at about 200w/8v on full batteries. the coils i have in that are 9 wrap 3mm 28/38 aliens. i take short, hard direct to lung hits off this. i get amazing flavor and clouds, and my nic craving is tamed. i dont feel like im smoking, but i am satisfied regardless. i vape 6mg juice on this setup. lets compare the wire in these builds...

7 2.5mm wraps of 28 ka1 is 3.1 inches of 28g, so dual coils are made from a total of ~6 inches of wire. total weight, 45 mg

alien coils have 3 cores, and nine 3mm wraps is about 5 inches long...so each coil has 15 inches of 28g in it, and there are two, so thirty inches of 28g wire, which is then wrapped in about 10 feet of 38g alien wrap. total weight 405mg (almost ten times the mass of the other coils)

the coils in the hog setup have so much mass that they require a lot of power to get warm and produce vapor. on an 8v unregulated box, they get that power pretty easily, but they need it to vape at all. if you tried to run them at 4v you would be sucking on that thing for fifteen seconds before you could taste anything. given the power to get them going they are a very satisfying vape, which is not any hotter than the magma mtl setup. they are capable of giving a very hot vape, but with good airflow and a hard drag to get that air forcefully onto the coils, they are pretty mellow. in fact, the magma has made me cough often, and the hog setup has never once.

:tldr:i encourage every vaper to try different setups (properly configured). there are great vapes everywhere if you are willing to find them. that goes for all the power hungry folks who want the biggest and baddest mods too..i quit cigarettes on a sub ohm tank/direct lung hits, but at the start i was wishing for a mtl style setup that was closer to smoking a cigarette. i gave up on that for a while and focused on coil building and eventually got good enough to come all the way back around to mtl setups once my understanding of things increased enough. im glad i kept trying to find different things. now i have multiple great setups and options when it comes to vaping/hardware/coils/nic strength/cloud volume/stealth capability etc...:cheers:

That's all very true. For myself, I'm neither willing nor interested in huffing my vape, I want it the same way I smoked, like sucking a just-bought milkshake thru a straw -- that's how it feels to smoke ultra-light 120s, which I smoked for a VERY long time, and smoking those also meant I usually took very long draws -- with my Achilles, with a 2 ohm coil, running at 9.5-10 watts, about a 4-6 second hit, it's a perfect facsimile of how it felt to smoke -- which is what I'm trying to stay free of. Thank goodness, vaping means it doesn't have to TASTE like smoking. :D Strawberry & cream beats hell out of any tobacco, EVER.

Andria

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's all very true. For myself, I'm neither willing nor interested in huffing my vape, I want it the same way I smoked, like sucking a just-bought milkshake thru a straw -- that's how it feels to smoke ultra-light 120s, which I smoked for a VERY long time, and smoking those also meant I usually took very long draws -- with my Achilles, with a 2 ohm coil, running at 9.5-10 watts, about a 4-6 second hit, it's a perfect facsimile of how it felt to smoke -- which is what I'm trying to stay free of. Thank goodness, vaping means it doesn't have to TASTE like smoking. :D Strawberry & cream beats hell out of any tobacco, EVER.

Andria
and thats all that truly matters. my main point is to let people know that vaping 'properly' at 200w isnt, by default, twenty times hotter than vaping at 10w, and theres nothing to be afraid of should they want to try it out, as long as they are using a properly configured setup.

edit - and also that there are great vapes at 10w. you can still get a good vape without winning a cloud comp/pissing contest/whatever makes some people focus on high wattage instead of the actual vape they get and how satisfying it is.

Last edited:

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't get this.......
RDA are what are used for squonking........ it's still a dripping atty.... you just don't drip from the top with a squonker.

I assumed people would know what I was referring to, so I guess I should have said hard to go back to top fed RDA's once you use bottom fed RDA's.

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I have tried 100 watt setups and it's not for me! It's just too hot. Now 50-70 watts ain't bad. I just prefer a cooler vape.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have tried 100 watt setups and it's not for me! It's just too hot. Now 50-70 watts ain't bad. I just prefer a cooler vape.

how does the setup you vape now at 50-70w compare to the setup you tried at 100w in terms of coils, resistance and voltage?

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
how does the setup you vape now at 50-70w compare to the setup you tried at 100w in terms of coils, resistance and voltage?
I used triple core fused clapton with more air and lower ohms for 100 watts instead of twisted wire with higher ohms and less air. I love flavor and lower watts gave me better flavor and respectable clouds.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I used triple core fused clapton with more air and lower ohms for 100 watts instead of twisted wire with higher ohms and less air. I love flavor and lower watts gave me better flavor and respectable clouds.

the temp of the vape is more related to the voltage you vape at rather than the wattage. without knowing the voltage and resistance you normally vape at, compared to the setup with fused claptons, im going to guess that the fused claptons got a bit more voltage than your regular build, and thats why it was hotter. if you ever try again, make sure you start at the voltage you are accustomed to and see if that makes a difference :cheers:

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
the temp of the vape is more related to the voltage you vape at rather than the wattage. without knowing the voltage and resistance you normally vape at, compared to the setup with fused claptons, im going to guess that the fused claptons got a bit more voltage than your regular build, and thats why it was hotter. if you ever try again, make sure you start at the voltage you are accustomed to and see if that makes a difference :cheers:
I'm normally at.4 ohms. Even if the voltage is the same the surface would be more and it would generate more heat. It makes sense to me anyway lol.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I disagree with your first sentence mach1ne. The amount of heat you put into an atty is defined solely by the wattage (power). When you consider voltage, you need to take resistance into account and then the two become wattage so we're back to that.

Of course the heat of the vape is also affected by other factors like coil surface area and air flow. But ultimately for me voltage is not a factor I consider in a regulated vape.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm normally at.4 ohms. Even if the voltage is the same the surface would be more and it would generate more heat. It makes sense to me anyway lol.

yeah, thats kind of how it works. at 1 ohm it takes 16w to hit 4v. at .1 ohms it takes 160w to hit 4v. those watts dont mean its ten times hotter, it just draws ten times the power to hit 4v because there is (roughly ten times) more mass to heat up. if you vape them both side by side at 4v they should be close to the same feel (depending on how well thought out your build is..its possible to go wrong in both directions - too big/small, hot/cool by having a coil mass thats not balanced for the intended voltage you will run them at).

anyway, vape however you want, im just trying to put some pieces together for people who might not know the fundamentals enough to see past the wattage wars, or who found a niche and never tried anything different :cheers: im glad i went back and tried mtl setups after two years of huffing on cloud chasing setups. i just needed some help learning the differences in builds, and i had to seek out and ask for it because it doesnt seem to be very commonly talked about as general knowledge.

I disagree with your first sentence mach1ne. The amount of heat you put into an atty is defined solely by the wattage (power). When you consider voltage, you need to take resistance into account and then the two become wattage so we're back to that.

Of course the heat of the vape is also affected by other factors like coil surface area and air flow. But ultimately for me voltage is not a factor.
if you can, try to make a set of coils that require 100w to hit 4v, and then try vaping them at 50w. now try making a set that need 50w to hit 4v and vape them at 50w. which one is cooler? try them both at 4v and tell me what happens :cheers:

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
if you can, try to make a set of coils that require 100w to hit 4v, and then try vaping them at 50w. now try making a set that need 50w to hit 4v and vape them at 50w. which one is cooler? try them both at 4v and tell me what happens :cheers:

Well, I vape at between 15-35 watts these days, so I'll try to modify your suggestion for say 15 and 30 watts :)

For 15 watts I'll need a build at 1.1 ohms to use 4.06V.

For 30 watts I'll need a build at 0.55 ohms to use 4.06V. At 15 watts this puppy will deliver 2.87V to the atty.

Both of these examples will require different gauge wire using different lengths of it to hit about the same heat flux. Also, I would use different atties for these two builds, as I would for 50 watts compared to 100 watts. Otherwise I'm not going to match atty design to watts used.

So how do we factor these variables into the equation?

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So how do we factor these variables into the equation?
i dont think it matters much to my hypothesis. my point is that they should both give roughly the same heat at 4v, but not at 15w. this shows that 100w isnt necessarily always hotter than 10w if you have the right build (coil mass vs voltage). im really glad you are willing to try the experiment by the way. much respect :cheers:

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i dont think it matters much to my hypothesis. my point is that they should both give roughly the same heat at 4v, but not at 15w. this shows that 100w isnt necessarily always hotter than 10w if you have the right build (coil mass vs voltage). im really glad you are willing to try the experiment by the way. much respect :cheers:

mach1ne, I'm always up for learning something new and the best way to do that is to experiment
JC_doubleup.gif

The thing is there are a lot of differences between my two builds. Different wire gauge, wire mass, wire surface area, atties, watts and voltage.

How do we know what caused the warmer/cooler vape?

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
mach1ne, I'm always up for learning something new and the best way to do that is to experiment
JC_doubleup.gif

The thing is there are a lot of differences between my two builds. Different wire gauge, wire mass, wire surface area, atties, watts and voltage.

while its possible to make a coil that is hotter or cooler due to its mass, i dont think in this experiment that it will make much difference. at the same voltage they should both work roughly the same, at the same wattage they should be very different vapes.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
JC_doubleup.gif

I think you're right. The build I have currently is 1.92Ω, and just at the moment I'm set at 9.4w. That comes out to 4.25v... but it's a very cool vape, even with my very tight airflow, very little air coming in to cool things down.

I arrived at my own preferences by setting the 9-10 watt area as my preferred wattage; with 8 or 9 wraps of 29ga around 3/32 drillbit, I hit somewhere between 1.9-2.1 ohms, which isn't very warm even with my tight airflow, even though a 2.1Ω build at 10w will hit 4.58v. Ergo, the voltage has little or nothing to do with the heat of my vape; the very slight warmth I get is mostly a factor of the resistance of my coil, and my wattage setting -- 10w can sometimes be a little too warm, but I can make that tolerable just by using a longer driptip.

There are a great many factors involved in what constitutes a cool, warm, or hot vape; folks new to coil building simply have to experiment enough to find their own personal sweet spot. Just looking at the voltage doesn't give nearly enough information.

Andria

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape temp has almost nothing to do with wattage or voltage... temperature of vapor has to do with coil size.... it just take more voltage to heat a bigger coil. Therefore more watts.

Take two .5ohm coils one made with 28 awg the other 32awg..... the 32 will have higher heat flux but lower capacity for tranmitting heat at same voltages and wattages... difference being mass. The bigger coil gives hotter vapor.

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape temp has almost nothing to do with wattage or voltage... temperature of vapor has to do with coil size.... it just take more voltage to heat a bigger coil. Therefore more watts.

Take two .5ohm coils one made with 28 awg the other 32awg..... the 32 will have higher heat flux but lower capacity for tranmitting heat at same voltages and wattages... difference being mass. The bigger coil gives hotter vapor.

That's exactly what I was trying to say! There is no way a thin wire at 4 volts is gonna have the same heat as a bigger wire. The only way it won't IMO is if the voltage isn't high enough to fire the bigger wire efficiently

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The thin wire would be hotter..higher Heat Flux..... but being smaller won't have the capacity to transmit as much heat.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
all i said was the temp of the vape is more related to volts than watts. i should have added a slightly i guess. if someone says simply 'i vape at 100w most of the time' what does that say about their vape? is it hot? cold? is it just a pissing contest to vape at a higher number than someone else? i dont know...

now, if someone says 'i vape at 6v' you can almost always gather from that, that the person likes a hot vape. if you read my first post in this thread i clearly display an understanding of heat flux and other factors relating to vape temp in coil building. its simply an observation that most of the time, 4v is a normal/warm vape on any setup i use. maybe in my building career i have just come to intrinsically balance my coils for mech mods and thats why i think 4v is always a warm vape, 3 is always cold and 6+ is always hot. sorry for any confusion. ill go back to the post your builds area and shut up lol

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
all i said was the temp of the vape is more related to volts than watts. i should have added a slightly i guess. if someone says simply 'i vape at 100w most of the time' what does that say about their vape? is it hot? cold? is it just a pissing contest to vape at a higher number than someone else? i dont know...

now, if someone says 'i vape at 6v' you can almost always gather from that, that the person likes a hot vape. if you read my first post in this thread i clearly display an understanding of heat flux and other factors relating to vape temp in coil building. its simply an observation that most of the time, 4v is a normal/warm vape on any setup i use. maybe in my building career i have just come to intrinsically balance my coils for mech mods and thats why i think 4v is always a warm vape, 3 is always cold and 6+ is always hot. sorry for any confusion. ill go back to the post your builds area and shut up lol

My 4.25-4.58 volts isn't really warm at all, even though I have very little airflow. The guy vaping at 6v, maybe he has a wind tunnel airflow, so his isn't warm either. The entire point being made is that saying what voltage you vape at, really doesn't tell you anything about the vape, EXCEPT the voltage. There are so many other factors involved in the cool/warm/hot designation, knowing just one factor out of all of them is no way of telling anything about it.

Andria

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
130ish watts, mech mods.
boxes are just not my thing right now.
that's just a rough estimate as the battery could be 4.2 on the first puff than 3.8 on the next lol.
all I know is every vapor I meet says I have big clouds, fog machine, etc etc. not what I'm after but that's what I get with my setups. to each their own
Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Vapexile

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Rarely rarely rarely do I exceed 100w. I have DNA 250 / 200 / 75 boxes sx350j 75 and 200 watt boxes and a bunch that claim they can do 300w. I run either a squapexdream rta or an ephoenix hurricane V2 rta and I won't push either above 50w. The only time I run over 100 is if I am using a 30mm RDA. Otherwise I am somewhere between 75 - 90. The additional wattage is only useful to me if I am preheating the coils to improve ramp up time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lak611

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It depends on the coil. For 0.2Ω dual fused clapton coils I like 70W. For 0.4Ω dual Clapton I like 50W. This is with RDA.

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
DTL - 30-60 watts, depending on the mod, juice, RDA and type/ohm of coil (.12 to .60 ohm - wire and mesh). Never been able to get over 60 watts without burning the crap out of my mouth - dtl - Mesh seems to run cooler at higher watts than wire, for me anyhow.

VU Sponsors